Things I made in my armory...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Things I made in my armory...

Postby LaCroix » 2016-01-25 07:10am

Linked to FB for now, as I still couldn't bother with setting up a pictureupload account, and the camera is kind of crappy, anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Polish/Hungarian heavy saber. About 1200grams, 86cm blade. This thing is no joke, anymore. Just holding it you know it will main averything in it'S path. Still, ir curves gracefully, having a POB about 10cm from the guard.

This is a fighting sword, and has been used in demonstrations at the Museum of Military History (Heeresgeschichtliches Museam) in Vienna, already.

I experimented with a polish/hungarian thumb ring guard, and covered the handle in leather, but glued it "wrong side up", for a very good grip on the handle. It had been wrapped in string while curing, giving it a ripped surface, as well.

The thumb ring is to improve alignment of edge, it allows a very minute adjustment of angle, and also adds protection for the thumb.
The prongs on the crossguard are set into the leather wrapping, and the visible prongs bladeside are angled to snap on the scabbard (this one is just a plain wooden preliminary design, the recipient will finish it by covering in something that matches his outfit. It is glued and nailed for strudyness.) for a tight fit. It will not come out on it's own, only with a sharp jerk. (Necessary for a cavalry weapon. It also makes a nice *schwinnnng* on drawing ;).

They also allow to catch a blade.

Next one- another KuK training saber, for a customer.
85cm, 830 grams. POB 7.5cm from the guard
This time, I experimented with recreating the (cast steel) original guard. The rim has been welded on additively, the guard was disched from 1mm sheet. It was only brushed, keeping the interesting back/silver pattern of the slightly uneven surface, which is a very handsome rugged look.
The ridges are funtional - not only do they increase stiffness, they also provide a last catch to prevent the enemy blade to slide onto the arm. Same for the "hook" at the back of the guard.

This time, I used a spring steel (1.5026) that is usually used in rapier production to improve flexibility. It can bend almost as fine as a practice rapier. Almost, since it is a much thicker blade. But more than enough to eliminate savety concerns in training.

Overall, my equipment and technique at swordmaking (it's so much harder than with regular knives to make something sword-like that is functional and not looking like crap. You need different steels with different tempering methods, everything is so much bigger and thus harder to make look good. etc.) is improving, so I guess the next one might be even shiny and pretty, instead of a functional blade that looks like it has been to war, already..... :D

I finshed welding up 10 more burners for my fire, so I will be able to heat treat anything up to greatswords soon (1.5m long - you need that much when doing rapier blades, too), and the powerhammer will get it's anvil and bear fitted next weekend, I hope.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Things I made in my armory...

Postby Thanas » 2016-01-25 09:54am

I like curved cavalry sabres. :D

Are you self-taught or did you have some apprenticeship?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Postby LaCroix » 2016-01-25 10:24am

Mostly self-taught, but with a lot's of Blacksmith's manuals from the 19th century, a DDR instructional book and a few weekend seminars to get practical hints.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Postby Ace Pace » 2016-01-25 12:02pm

I am incredibly jealous and will make a note to visit my blacksmith friend to see how it's done :)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Postby Elheru Aran » 2016-01-25 12:23pm

Nice work. A bit rough, but refinement will come with time and practice. Certainly highly functional.

I do love me a nice Hungarian saber, though. There are some really lovely examples out there. This is one of my favourites:

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Postby LaCroix » 2016-01-25 12:36pm

It's basically just a matter of equipment. And retraining your brain to see metal as a liquid. Once you think like that, it's just a matter of training to apply the right technique to bring stuff into the shape you want it to have.

For basic tools: A gas or coal fire and a blower to turn it into a furnace. A big square metal object (20kg or up) as an anvil if you can't pick up one. Some plumber's tongs for a start. Welding gloves.

Then you get yourself a lot of mild steel (Construction steel rods from the depot) and get going. First, watch a few videos about making tongs. Then make yourself some. This will teach you all you need - stretching, bending, flattening, bunching holes, riveting. Then, make some artsy stuff, make a fire hook, make a crude knife, or nails, whatever. Just start making things.

Once you can do that, you know if you like it. If yes - buy some better steel (ck45 or up) and start making propper tongs and tools you might need later.

From that, it's only learning how to heat treat (Basically, making things red hot and then quench them in oil. Then 'bake' them at ~200 °C in your oven. It's more complicated when you want to do it perfect for the actual type of steel you're using, but it's basically the same.) Read up in the internet, maybe get some book.

Then, start making knives. Learn how to drill tang holes (or make it with two half blanks), then how to shape the handle. You will need a saw, a drill, a file and sandpaper.

Then, you might want to learn leather work...

And then, you will certainly want to make damascus steel for the first time... A bigger anvil... A powerhammer... A bigger forge...

Enjoy the journey, and may the gods take pity on your poor soul. :D

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Postby LaCroix » 2016-01-25 12:44pm

Elheru Aran wrote:Nice work. A bit rough, but refinement will come with time and practice. Certainly highly functional.

I do love me a nice Hungarian saber, though. There are some really lovely examples out there. This is one of my favourites:

I like the earlier versions even more...

Actually, the saber blade I made is a replika of the Béke saber. The blade is identical to your pictures. I only had needed to bend the tang at a slight angle and fit the different guard and grip to make it an exact copy, but the customer wanted a Polish hilt/grip on it, though, for reenactment of a certain duel in the show.

Return to “Artwork, Music and Photos”