The Art of Zor (56k DIE)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The Art of Zor (56k DIE)

Post by Thanas »

Zor wrote:The name is in English because it's a common thing to translate such names, in the Enlish if people would use Principality of Liechtenstein. That and i like the word Principality.

As for the Boar, well i like Boars, they seem sutiably germanic and what would have been used in it's place?

Zor
Maybe something like this:

The boar is a bit more of a rural emblem, while the name of Eisenstadt denotes something industrial.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

A fantasy creature of mine. It is an being composed of non organic elements, copper, zinc, Sodium, arsenic, sulfer and such, much of which being in a molten or semi molten state. If it's flesh was exposed to a room temperature enviroment for a prolonged period of time, it would freeze to death. As such, to survive in enviroments where humans live, they have developed defenses. They give birth in volcanically active areas and when volcanic activity is minimal, they have thick mineral hides and mineral fur to keep in heat while they have developed an organ which is basically a fuctional furnace.

Along with their proper diet of rocks rich in specific minerals, these creatures devour organic material, such as wood and dried flesh to fuel their fires. These beasts have massively powerful arms and jaws with diamond teeth and claws while their stony hide offers excellent protection. They can reach up cascades of cinders laced with their more toxic bodily fluids. These creatures do have their weaknesses, their joints are somewhat vunerable, but their biggest weaknesses lie in their bellow like breathing vents which supply oxygen to the pyres which burn within and the smokestack like growths on their backs. Should they be blocked off their fires could be extinguished and creature would be forced to retreat to rekindle it's flames as quickly as possible.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

A healthy diet of gasoline and iron filings! I don't know why, but it looks much better than your ships and dinosaurs for some reason, possibly because it blends a well-proportioned animal-like form with pseudo-geometric shapes in its rock-like body, and because the ending result looks pretty nifty.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The Timberwolf, an World War II tech level fighter plane. Inspired by the MiG-3.

Quad Birds! A creature i came up with as an evolutionary hypothetical. In this case, a species of goose colonized an isolated landmass and began evolving, loosing the ability to fly and becoming a pig like species of opertunistic omnivores, using it's wings as digging implements for building nests and snooting out insects and tubers, eventually turning on these limbs as legs, resulting in a catagory of Quadropedal birds with fore legs ending in hooves. Here are two species of these creatures, one a grassland graiser that travels in herds, the other a catagory of social predator, using a crushing beak and specialized thick spike like quills on their four limbs to take down their prey. Other species include bird moles, half tonne plodding graisers which have protective layers of quills to fend off predators and specialized arborial ambush predators that ancor themselves snap at passing airborne birds from treetops using long snakelike necks.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like the lines on that fighter plane's wings and its main fuselage, though symmetry is damn hard to maintain and yeah, it wasn't so symmetrical at the tailside.

I like that tiny quad bird. It looks like a hunch-backed penguin! Pingu! POKEY! YES
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

(Timeline-3177) Admiral Stanislav class Frigate, First built in 2178 and named for the famed soviet accadamition and Hero to the Soviet Union who's works in Artificial Intellegence and applied robotics have greatly assisted in the development of new planets and in long term terraforming projects. The Comrade Stanislav is the workhorse of the soviet fleet, with some five hundred vessels in service in the Peasants and Workers Red Star Force. The Comrade Stanislav is notable for her missile armament, carrying fifty two medium anti ship missiles in side mounted box launchers, allowing her to fire off a single massive long range salvo. This is acheived at the expense of not having linier accelerator catapults, making each individual missile easier to intercept. Never the less, the volume of fire they can bring to bear and their heavy point defense arsenal makes them excellent long range fighters for their size. In the Knife fights of energy duels, Stanislav class Friagtes are at a disadvantage against most other frigates as they only have four Beam Cannons and can not fire to their rear. In battle, Stanislav Frigates make the most of thier high acceleration to stay away from heavy combat while supplying point defense cover for the larger Leningrad and Vladivostok class Cruisers and Soyuz class Battleships.

Ursoid Soldier from Pirate Lords, armed with an upscaled bolt action rifle.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

On the Timberwolf plane. I know this may sound bad but have you ever considered, with stuff like the cockpit and such, using a ruler to measure out where its going to go? I mean some of your lines look really clear and straight like on the wings while other lines are totally off. I don't know if it is a bad suggestion but it may help you.
Last edited by Bluewolf on 2009-10-03 04:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No it is a good suggestion. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Was that sarcasm?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Not in the least bit. The first thing I thought when I saw that particular drawing was "Geez Zor. Learn to use a ruler." Actually, a few members of the board could benefit from a ruler. It is something that personally irks me, as it is a problem that no one with even a piece of paper should suffer from.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Based off an few comments of Necronlord's, the Necron equivelent of Gue'vesa, the C'tan cultist soldier. Created by the Deciever to supplement the forces of Necrons and Pariahs, C'tan cults are established among various worlds of the Imperium in accordance of the myriad Schemes and plots, offering immortality in return for subtle service to the Star Gods. Mostly they are equiped with conventional Lasguns and so forth, but a few have been given Necrodermis armor and even gauss weapons. On the battlefield, they are unnaturally calm and cool. While generally nothing more than disposal cannon fodder, those that prove themselves to their overlords recieve their promised reward and the living metal immortality that was given millions of years ago to the Necrontyr once again is dispensed.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

A quick sketch, a land based vector of flatfish. Rather bitey.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nice. I'd imagine it'd be, ironically, more adept at desert environments or something. Or perhaps some very muddy... plain of mud that's near the seas or something.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

A somewhat important note about about the Land Flatfish, it walks in a flopping manner. I also thought about some of the earlier land dwelling critters.

An Enforcer Beat Unit, designed to be the ultimate Police Officer. Stronger, faster and more durable than any human police officer, they are able to share information with each other easily. Never the less, the real majesty of Enforcer Robots never the less lies in their Minds. Enforcer Robots have human level intelligence, as well as being programmed with forensic files but are programmed with a primary Drive, uphold their moral ideals and law and order. They are incorruptable agents, things such as bribery, seduction, threats, extortion and so forth will never hinder them in doing the nessisary actions. They are impervious to Aggravation, fustration, terror and other counter productive attributes of humanity. Out of combat, they are unfailingly friendly in dispossition in their interactions with humans, in combat they are focused and determined. They will also never also never knowingly abuse their power. Other models exist, including vehicle sized riot control units, SWATbots and so forth. The Humanoid design is to let them interact better with Human beings. Many people never the less find them to be utterly unsuferable.

I have come up with two settings in which these machines play a big part.

1-The first is a post apocalyptic world after a nuclear war or something like that, during which a fair number of these machines still exist and they try to adapt to the changing enviroment. Of course, they don't see such an event happening as being any reason at all to not try to keep law and order or do anything as unthinkable as abusing their powers in engaging in the utter perversions that people call "frontier justice" and similar. The most important thing is that they come to understand that to ensure that law and order are mantained into the future, they need to do what all life does and begin replication.

2-Something similar to Underworld/White Wolf/Blade but with a little Hot Fuzz thrown in, with an secret underground world of vampires, werewolves, mages and things like that. Then these robots come in, all attempts at mantaining their cover are quickly shattered. Envision some secret Vampire safe house of some sort with feeding and so forth and cabals of upper level bloodsuckers plotting over plasma in smoking rooms when hundred of these robots come in, bursting through the doors, guns in hand with speakers blaring in unison "THIS IS THE POLICE: YOU ARE ALL UNDER ARREST! PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND STAND DOWN!" and going on with the Miranda rights and such. There is some gunplay and close quarters fighting, in which vamps learn first hand how powerful their servo moters as they are belted across the head by truncheons. The Vamps eventually route as their numbers are gradually captured, restrained and dragged out to unmanned paddy wagons while stragglers are chased down by relentless mechanical persuers scattered across the city that act as one creature through video communication and GPS. Those that are captured have their faces recorded and documented. A few hours latter, hundreds of Vampires have been taken down town by these machines, have been throughly visually processed and news reports flooded with information involving the existance of vampires. Not that being vampires would figure into how the Enforcers would think about how they are to be delt with (IE, just like everyone else who breaks the law). That is basically how i saw this starting.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

You're getting noticibly better with that police robot.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Heh, I like the notion of Twilight vampires getting beaten over the head by robots with lightsaber-truncheons like that police brutality-bot from Futurama.

Robot needs longer legs, but nice work.

As for the storylines, I think #1 is better because #2 is kind of... eh. Vampires and other supernatural beasties generally kind of... suck when put in a greater setting with robots and stuff. Because vampires and stuff are naturally lame and inevitably get their shit ruined by robots, special forces, and all that stuff. As FROD would say, #1 wherein we explore things such as postapocalyptic justice and society through the eyes of a robot would make more compelling sci-fi reading than #2, which is just "VAMPIRE GETS BEAT WITH STICK! HURR!"

Go with #1. You can have Robocops wear hats and ponchos and go UNDERCOVER in the cowboy Wild Wartorn West! The Metal Marshals! Steel Sheriffs, with Duraluminum Deputies! :lol:

Because cowboys are way cooler than vampires.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

(From HG Well's The Time Machine) A Morlock, a descendant of Humanity from the year 802,701 CE. Descended from an industrial working class, the Morlocks live in vast subterranian factories. Driven by instinctive desire to keep things fuction they act as mechanics and labourers, overseeing the machinery of these factories and repairing and rebuilding systems when they break down. Said machinery produces various products such as clothing and processing the refuse of the surface dwelling Eloi, another offshoot species of Mankind descended from the upper strata of society. To better work in this mechanical enviroment, with various elevated sections and platforms, morlocks developed apelike agility over hundreds of thousands of years. Living most of their lives in minimal light, the Morlocks have little menalin in their skin and have developed excellent night vision with large reflective eyes. At some point in time for some reason their was an disruption of the Morlock's food supply, as such the Morlocks turned to hunting down creatures to supplement their diet. Then eventually the Morlocks turned upwards to the domain of the docile Eloi that inhabited the surface, which existed in abundance as their primary source of food.

Having listened to the project Gutenburg Audiobook, i decided to draw what came to mind from well's discription.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Keiler class Destroyer of the Eisenstädtische Marine. Slightly less than 50 meters in length, it carries a heavy arsenal including a pair of two 150mm guns mounted in it's forward turret and five 75mm cannons, as well as four depth charge launchers, two torpedo tubes and ten gatling guns.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

That destroyer needs to be way the hell longer. First off, technically: speed increases with a longer wetted hull length, and destroyers need to be fast. Second, aesthetically: look at photos of real warships and you'll see that the coolest looking ones are long and sleek. Tubby boats look like bathtub toys unless they are tugs, because tugs are the fucking bulldogs of the maritime world.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Simplicius wrote:That destroyer needs to be way the hell longer. First off, technically: speed increases with a longer wetted hull length, and destroyers need to be fast. Second, aesthetically: look at photos of real warships and you'll see that the coolest looking ones are long and sleek. Tubby boats look like bathtub toys unless they are tugs, because tugs are the fucking bulldogs of the maritime world.
Thats what i get for trying to have a Destroyer thats design is basically a compacted Pre-dreadnought battleship.
Hangs head in shame

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I could make you a list of things to fix if you really wanted, but if you're going to draw many ships or aircraft you should browse lots of pictures from the appropriate era to get a sense of 'proper' design in your head. War machines look as they do for a reason, so real-world reference is helpful for sound fictional design.

Don't feel too bad about it, though; the first battleships I drew when I was a kid were all way too short too.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

This post was a mistake, i intended to create a minor edit to the first page but hit Quote apsent mindedly.
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Revised version of the Keiler class Destroyer, legnthend and up armed as listed. Also i revised Eisenstadt's animal somewhat.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

That's...yeah, still doesn't really work. The rake of the bow is far, far too steep for the period, and cuts away buoyancy under the forward guns where you'd need it. One mast is one too few; the stacks would look more at home on a Mississippi stern-wheeler; the conning tower is out of scale; you've got too much visual mass too far forward (without the visusal displacement to support it); there's a shitload of wasted deck space aft; you've festooned the ship with guns as if it is a huge battleship instead of a small destroyer; your submerged torpedo tubes and enclosed gun mounts don't fit with the size and time period, respectively; AA and AS weapons are also anachronistic (and where are you going to find the deck space for them, solve the technical problem of high-angle mountings for primitive guns, etc..). Your 'destroyer' is still trying to be a battleship too, which will never work.

I did a quick, sloppy sketch that is no doubt rife with errors, but gives you an idea of what an advanced destroyer for 1905 (or typical for 1909) might look like, proportionally and technically.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I will defend the AA and AS weapons as this is from a universe with flying creatures that act as air cavalry and more advanced sumbarines than existed OTL.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor