Implications of small scale wide spread FTL travel.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Steelinghades
Youngling

Implications of small scale wide spread FTL travel.

Post by Steelinghades »

The thread is quite simple, the year is 2105--random year chosen--faster then light travel, in the classical warp style, is discovered, however the FTL drives have a quirk to them. They are small enough you can fit them in the family's Subaru and cheap enough a middle class family can afford one or two. What are the implications of such technology, especially as far as the military is concerned.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Implications of small scale wide spread FTL travel.

Post by Tribble »

Does the warp field lower the vehicle’s mass? If not a Subaru slamming into a city at FTL speeds would probably cause a lot of damage.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Quick thought off the top of my head: prompt regulation, probably overly excessive, will happen. As far as the military goes, they'll be extremely unhappy about it, and will be researching counters very quickly. This basically means space exploration is now going to happen. Expect corporate exploitation in short order since they'll be able to buy up the entire market.

Question: What are the limitations on this? For example, do you have to be a certain distance out of gravity wells, or can you warp directly out of a backyard all the way to Alpha Centauri in a few seconds? Does traveling a light-year take a millisecond or a month?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Tribble wrote: 2019-07-05 04:28pm Does the warp field lower the vehicle’s mass? If not a Subaru slamming into a city at FTL speeds would probably cause a lot of damage.
No it doesn't, but to exit warp you have to slow down to a few kilometers a second.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-05 04:35pm Question: What are the limitations on this? For example, do you have to be a certain distance out of gravity wells, or can you warp directly out of a backyard all the way to Alpha Centauri in a few seconds? Does traveling a light-year take a millisecond or a month?
As long as your pilot is skilled, you have a good navigation system and you have accurate coordinates, you can warp anywhere.

As for speed, depending on how much power the warp drive has, you can travel anywhere from two to ten parsecs per day.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So... Alpha Centauri hours (high power) to a day (low power). Huh. So going to the next nearest star system would be similar time-wise to travel between continents is now.

Of course, space is BIG. If I've done the math correctly it would still take 8.5 years to cross the Milky Way from one end to the other. Over two centuries to get to the Andromeda galaxy one-way.

But intra-solar system travel is going to be really easy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

That actually makes it an order of magnitude faster than Star Trek warp drives, almost exactly. 75 years for Voyager to get 75000 light years, at a speed they’re practically unable to sustain for more than a few hours.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First - Discovery does not mean quick widespread implication.
The second it's confirmed, the military and government will lock the tech down quickly.

Second - What about launching from a gravity well? Just because you can FTL cheap once in space, doesn't mean you can do it from the ground. if it still costs millions to launch, cheap FTL means nothing for the average person.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

VOY was a 'keep this up freaking forever' situation. 10 parsecs a day is easily in line with TNG+ 'sprint' speeds. 2 is upper half 'cruise' speed
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-05 07:20pm First - Discovery does not mean quick widespread implication.
The second it's confirmed, the military and government will lock the tech down quickly.

Second - What about launching from a gravity well? Just because you can FTL cheap once in space, doesn't mean you can do it from the ground. if it still costs millions to launch, cheap FTL means nothing for the average person.
If you have the proper coordinates you can FTL from space into your garage and Vis versa.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What about fuel?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-05 10:23pm What about fuel?
Assuming a craft of Subaru size, one tonne of fuel will last around four days, FTL drives increase fuel expenditure by a facture of three to seven, depending on the size of the craft.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

But will one ton of fuel fit inside something the size of a Subaru?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And what IS the fuel? Something like anti-matter would be regulated. Nuclear material would be regulated.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Steelinghades wrote: 2019-07-05 09:14pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-07-05 07:20pm First - Discovery does not mean quick widespread implication.

If you have the proper coordinates you can FTL from space into your garage and Vis versa.
FTL in an atmosphere? Yeah, that is going to be regulated and controlled so fucking fast, the new drive will seem slow.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It would be folded into current air traffic control which even now has speed limits below a certain altitude and regulations regarding supersonic travel over inhabited areas. Just so people wouldn't be having FTL collisions in their backyards. If you want to FTL from ground level you'll probably have to do it in an orderly manner from designated areas - we could call them "spaceports".

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Well, let's think about this.

Someone goes and proves "Hey, I've created SUPERCHEAP FTL"

The government would immediately move to seize it. Because of all the hazards it represents.

Like say -
#1 Biological contamination.
This isn't Sci-Fi. Your weekend trip to another world could end up introducing Earth diseases to it, and vice versa, and causing environmental disasters.

#2 Where are the habitable worlds?
Your weekend trip just added the problem of where do you go?

#3 Who else is out there?
Your weekend trip might end up triggering another race with FTL deciding we taste good in milk.

#4 Military applications
Sounds like your FTL Car could be used for someone to load it with explosives, FTL to Mars, pull a U Turn, then FTL back into the Whitehouse to explode.
Or Into a bank vault, nuclear missile silo, etc.

Sorry, this tech is going to be locked up by the government until it's reverse engineered, improved upon, and there are defenses and interdictions against it.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How much would it cost to seal your car enough so that you don't lose all your air if you hit a vacuum ?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Radiation shielding comes to mind as another problem.

Not having destination co-ordinates is another. 99.999+% of space is just that, space.

Without ALOT of mapping first, the odds of an FTL jump to a safe locale are so fucking low.....

And, what are EARTH's co-ordinates?

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Then there is the issue of precision. Are we limited to how precisely we can point our ship and set the length of the trip ?

Or is there something that increases or decreases the precision ?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, unless the society in question already had FTL travel, with alot of this stuff already in place, just this is a sudden leap in miniaturization of the FTL tech, this is such a shit-storm waiting to happen.

Hell, imagine the computational power needed to calculate a FTL jump, and the data needed. You need to know where everything in the galaxy is to start, and where it will be as you travel, and where it will be when you exit FTL.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Also since Warp is a 'flight' drive, not a 'jump' drive, you have to go either around or through everything that is between your starting point and the target coordinates
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What are the side effects of exposure to the fields that allow FTL?
What are thier effects on the environment when activated in an atmosphere? On living creatures? On nearby electronics outside the field?

Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-08 12:10pm What are the side effects of exposure to the fields that allow FTL?
What are thier effects on the environment when activated in an atmosphere? On living creatures? On nearby electronics outside the field?
If you're in a vehicle properly shielded against radiation, the effects are minimal.

As for the secondry question, leaving Warp tends to generate moderate quantities of Warp radiation, it's very short lived but lethal over repeated exposure if not treated, luckily however as mentioned, it's half-life is very short and it doesn't spread very far from the warp emergence point. It has similar effects on unhardened electronics as normal radiation.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What about the other points raised?

Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-09 11:07pm What about the other points raised?
Which ones?