Larry the Cat caused a brief headache for Trump’s security team

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Larry the Cat caused a brief headache for Trump’s security team

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Vox
President Donald Trump has just encountered the first real complication of his important London visit: a sleepy cat.

During Trump’s Tuesday visit to 10 Downing Street, which serves as the office and residence of UK Prime Minister Theresa May, a cat decided to lie down underneath the president’s limo, known as “the Beast.”

But it wasn’t some ordinary cat — it was Larry, the “chief mouser” of Downing Street, who has lasted longer in the building than some British leaders.

Larry’s main role, I kid you not, is to catch mice in the area and to look cute before, during, and after official remarks on the steps of the residence. And according to the British government’s website, he’s clearly one of the most respected officials working on behalf of the people.

“Larry was recruited from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home on recommendation for his mousing skills. He joined the Number 10 household and has made a significant impact,” his official bio reads. “Larry spends his days greeting guests to the house, inspecting security defenses and testing antique furniture for napping quality.”

But it seems Larry overstepped his boundaries a little bit. The important cat’s decision to relax below Trump’s heavily armored vehicle meant that it couldn’t drive until Larry decided to leave. But Larry refused, leading some journalists waiting outside to joke about the “huge security issue.”
Huge security issue as Larry the Downing St. cat shelters under Donald Trump’s limo ‘’the Beast’ & refuses to move. #TrumpinUK pic.twitter.com/i9w4B6w8FK
— Bill Neely (@BillNeelyNBC) June 4, 2019
It’s possible Larry just wants some attention, since May is solely focused on Trump right now. Here he is sitting on a windowsill watching the president and prime minister greet each other, probably plotting his eventual under-limo nap.
If you think I’m getting off this windowsill you’ve got another thing coming... #TrumpUKVisit
(Photo: @davidbrunnstrom) pic.twitter.com/x6qwBzczMP
— Larry the Cat (@Number10cat) June 4, 2019
But don’t lose sight of what Larry has achieved: Thousands of protesters descended on London in hopes of stopping Trump’s motorcade from rolling. They failed, though, allowing Trump so far to travel around the city unimpeded.

Which means Larry had more success giving Trump’s security team a headache — albeit a very small one — on Tuesday than any of the demonstrators in the British capital.

That feat alone is worthy of the title “chief mouser.”
"If it fits, I's sits." -Larry, probably

I should be depressed with a cat more intelligent than ~35% of my countrypeople, but at this point I'm sure a rock is more intelligent than them.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Larry the Cat caused a brief headache for Trump’s security team

Post by Gandalf »

I don't approve of pet cats being outdoors, but good for Larry.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Um, I've removed Cat's from under cars. It's not that hard. You just need a rake, or a hockey stick, or something long, to gentle nudge them (not hit, not poke, but nudge) until they get annoyed and move.

The tricks is, to nudge them soft enough to just annoy them, but not so soft it's like they are getting petted or scratched.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

In my experience, turning on the car is enough to make the cat move.

But make sure you have someone watching the cat to tell you where the cat ran off to.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

and i'm sure that if they tried any of those things this thread would be screaming about animal abuse.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

President Donald Trump has just encountered the first real complication of his important London visit: a sleepy cat.

During Trump’s Tuesday visit to 10 Downing Street, which serves as the office and residence of UK Prime Minister Theresa May, a cat decided to lie down underneath the president’s limo, known as “the Beast.”
Who's a good kitty, messy up Donald Trump's visit? You're a good kitty, yes you a-
But don’t lose sight of what Larry has achieved: Thousands of protesters descended on London in hopes of stopping Trump’s motorcade from rolling. They failed, though, allowing Trump so far to travel around the city unimpeded.
BAD KITTY! No catnip for you!

:D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-06 04:57am BAD KITTY! No catnip for you!

:D
The cat did stop the motorcade, if only for a short while. It was the protesters who couldn't. :P
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Waiting until trump gets to a street light, then laying down on the roads would stop him nicely.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Nah, that's just get you beat up. Some nonsense about threats top the president and resisting arrest.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

InsaneTD wrote: 2019-06-07 12:43am Nah, that's just get you beat up. Some nonsense about threats top the president and resisting arrest.
In the US, probably... Though pretty certain it would not work like that in France...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.