The Matrix Resurrections

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Matrix Resurrections

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

First trailer is out now:

My initial reaction is mixed, not exactly thrilled that they cast someone other than Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, this wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I first heard there would be a 4th Matrix film.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Matrix Resurrections

Post by Elheru Aran »

It does look like a half reboot, half sequel. The reboot angle is reasonable though considering that society and technology have changed *quite* a bit since even Matrix Revolutions.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm not really a huge matrix fan and the trailer left me unmoved but some questions about the concept.

I wonder if the Morpheus like person is supposed to be the original Morpheus recast or a sucessor figure.

Can't imagine how they are going to explain Neo and Trinity's survival, full brain download perhaps? But then if you wipe their memories, what's the point? Did Neo's peace breakdown and everything happened again anyway?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-09-10 04:24am
I wonder if the Morpheus like person is supposed to be the original Morpheus recast or a sucessor figure.
I read an article earlier today saying that Morpheus died in a video game that the creators considered canon. But that was some time back and no telling whether they'll stick to that.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ralin wrote: 2021-09-10 06:36am
I read an article earlier today saying that Morpheus died in a video game that the creators considered canon. But that was some time back and no telling whether they'll stick to that.
Yeah that kind of thing tends to be 'canon' right up until they want to do an new movie.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-09-10 08:47am Yeah that kind of thing tends to be 'canon' right up until they want to do an new movie.
It sounded like the creators were at least moderately enthusiastic about the project, but yeah.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I was very "Meh" but the use of "White Rabbit" got me a little interested.

If the movie is full over covers of the song I'd probably be in for that alone. :D

I do hope they fix some of the issues with the original trilogy. Like making the reason behind the Matrix being that the AI's are using humanity as their computer instead of as a battery.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I can't say I'm thrilled with what I've learned so far. From Wikipedia:
Keanu Reeves as Thomas A. Anderson / Neo
Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Morpheus. Abdul-Mateen II replaces Laurence Fishburne, who played the character in previous films.
Jada Pinkett Smith as Niobe
Lambert Wilson as The Merovingian
Daniel Bernhardt as Agent Johnson
So it is the same character, recast. Apparently Hugo Weaving couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts, so no Agent Smith either. According to Fishburne he wasn't even asked if he wanted to reprise the role.
Tsyroc wrote: 2021-09-10 12:14pm I was very "Meh" but the use of "White Rabbit" got me a little interested.

If the movie is full over covers of the song I'd probably be in for that alone. :D

I do hope they fix some of the issues with the original trilogy. Like making the reason behind the Matrix being that the AI's are using humanity as their computer instead of as a battery.
Yes, that bugged the hell out of me too. I do hope they've at least attempted to end the Dark Storm that's encircled the planet for centuries by now.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I still like the idea humanity put itself into the Matrix to avoid environmental collapse
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

If this is a "reboot", perhaps Morpheus is a reboot as well?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-10-18 11:39pm
If this is a "reboot", perhaps Morpheus is a reboot as well?
Or a clone, or a figment of Neos imagination.

Really, we don't have alot of information at this point.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Solauren wrote: 2021-10-17 06:45pm I still like the idea humanity put itself into the Matrix to avoid environmental collapse
That's a pretty good story idea. It could potentially do away with the idea that it was humans vs. machines, at least not at the start.

Some AI might have adjusted to be antagonistic to humanity after humanity set up the Matrix, or perhaps it was always designed that way to an extent so humanity would have something to strive against?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

Solauren wrote: 2021-10-17 06:45pm I still like the idea humanity put itself into the Matrix to avoid environmental collapse
This would actually be really cool to see.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tsyroc wrote: 2021-10-21 02:28pm
That's a pretty good story idea. It could potentially do away with the idea that it was humans vs. machines, at least not at the start.

Some AI might have adjusted to be antagonistic to humanity after humanity set up the Matrix, or perhaps it was always designed that way to an extent so humanity would have something to strive against?
My thinking is this - Humanity goes into the matrix, leaving the machines to clean up the environment. Zion is an ongoing 'habitability' test, (if Zion collapses, the environment is getting to bad for any life, and Plan B is needed. What that is, no idea). The One being the signal to begin evaluation if humanity can start to move out of the Matrix/the Matrix can be shut down, or it needs to be reset. Both from a 'the world can support people again', and 'people can support the world'. i.e Humanity has cleaned up it's act.

The problem is - within the matrix, humanity keeps repeating the same mistakes it did prior to the Matrix. So it keeps resetting, while the machines keep doing their job - maintain the Matrix, keep Zion from going nuts, and cleaning up the planet.

I'll admit I stole part of this from Cleopatra 2029.
For those that never saw the show, humanity was living underground. It was believed the machines drove them there. In reality, it's revealed at the end of the series (or what would have been the season finale), that humanity went underground, after tasking the machines to clean up the Earth. When you go above ground, it's like Eden, but the machines chase you off/try to kill you. The machines eventually concluded, after easily cleaning up the planet, that humanity was the problem and needed to be contained/turned into cyborgs.