Disney's Mulan

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Disney's Mulan

Post by ray245 »

The trailer is out. It looks pretty, but there are some elements that definitely do throw me off in terms of setting. The use of Hakka villages, which only became a thing in the 17th century, definitely throw me off a little. Is Mulan in this version meant to be of Hakka descent? Which is interesting considering the stories usually depict her as someone who was a Xianbei.

It looks interesting, but I'm not sure if this film will have a massive appeal amongst Chinese audience just because it is a Chinese-setting film. To Chinese audience, it looks like another generic Chinese historical war movie. There's nothing that really stands out visually compared to other similar films made in China. There's nothing wrong with what's been depicted so far, but I think there is a need for caution for anyone who thinks Mulan will be a success in East Asia just because it is a Disney-produced Chinese setting movie.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Disney's Mulan

Post by FaxModem1 »

Still, looks cool.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Same as Aladdin - locks down the copyright for a few more decades
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Meh. It kinda looks like a fan film. Just for the first few shots, I wasn't certain I'd found the right video or something. It'll have pretty fight scenes, I'm sure, but I don't feel any particular inclination to see this. Just like all of the other remakes.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.