THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Solauren »

Just buff the hell out of the Lich, and let him walk into all the traps first. Assuming any of them damage him, nothing a quick Inflict Wounds won't fix. And in the off chance his body gets destroyed, he'll reform in a few days.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Cheaper, spam summon monster 3 get badgers who have ferocity so they can set off minimum 2 traps.. unless they are disintegrate based. Just a 3rd level spell slot to spam 1d4+1 badgers.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Why not both? Use summon creatures until you run out of slots for summoning spells (say from the Lich), and then buff the crap out of him to set the rest off.

High level characters mean you get to screw over low level stuff for cheap thrills.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

A valid strategy, assuming the trap is intended to kill or disable instead of, oh, discreetly routing them to a dead end loaded with traps and monsters via dimensional magic.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Its less setting off the traps and more noticing that they're also transporting you somewhere else, say each trap either teleports a large area or opens a portal to a random other part of the dungeon, although the fact that team evil lacks a rogue may be important, although the ranger or wolf might be able to do something.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1221 is up

trouble approaching

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RedCloak is stumbling towards the truth. Now to see if Belkor's ranger training is enough to confuse the tracks.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Seems like Redcloak is a lot more likely to suspect the Order or some third party of fucking with their marking system than the Monster.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2020-12-06 12:58am Seems like Redcloak is a lot more likely to suspect the Order or some third party of fucking with their marking system than the Monster.
He doesn't have a high opinion of the MitD's intelligence, iirc. Also doesn't think the MitD would do anything without being ordered

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Redcloak is also very dismissive of anything that doesn't fit his world view, and when he encounters something that doesn't, ruthlessly tries to make it fit before admitting he might need to adjust his thinking.

He'll probably have all the doors 'unmarked', draw his own map of them, keep it on him at all times, and then redo the systematic search of them, with him updating the map, and keeping records of monsters encounters + how many, to see if there is a pattern they can exploit.

aka "Lawful Evil OCD"

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Solauren wrote: 2020-12-07 08:15am Redcloak is also very dismissive of anything that doesn't fit his world view, and when he encounters something that doesn't, ruthlessly tries to make it fit before admitting he might need to adjust his thinking.

He'll probably have all the doors 'unmarked', draw his own map of them, keep it on him at all times, and then redo the systematic search of them, with him updating the map, and keeping records of monsters encounters + how many, to see if there is a pattern they can exploit.

aka "Lawful Evil OCD"
I'd think if he was being that obsessive about it he would have already noticed that the Monster was marking extra doors.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

No, I'm saying he's ABOUT to become that OCD about it, as his previous method didn't work. He's going to go nuts trying to figure out what he did wrong.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I wonder where MiTD is at the moment, we've not seen him in the scene so far right?

I'd think this might be team evil's last harrah if he was around to clean up his subplot at the same time.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Why, the MitD is going to go find O'Chul.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well the lines do something... the teleport options sounds plausible.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Watch, that's the one with Kraagor's Gate and the trap is a gate effect that takes them to a different dungeon.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well well, we did wonder if that was the case. Looks like there is only one RIGHT WAY to get to the Gate.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Is it wrong that I'd actually like it if Belkar was right?
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

It reminds me of an instanced dungeon in an MMO.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What if every single Dungeon entrance is like that, teleporting you to random, vicious dungeons, that slowly repopulate?

But to get to the real dungeons, you have to bypass the various teleportation fields. Possibly in a specific order.

That would make it one of the most complex dungeons ever created, where only the mightest heroes could survive. Perfect tribute.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Solauren wrote: 2020-12-20 10:15am What if every single Dungeon entrance is like that, teleporting you to random, vicious dungeons, that slowly repopulate?

But to get to the real dungeons, you have to bypass the various teleportation fields. Possibly in a specific order.

That would make it one of the most complex dungeons ever created, where only the mightest heroes could survive. Perfect tribute.
I did something similar in a game I ran. Party went through the whole dungeon, a derelict old tower on the edge of what was once a prosperous city, killing automatons and undead, bypassing intricate traps, finding semi-decent loot and getting more and more frustrated. They open the final door, step into the main room, and trigger a teleportation circle that sends them to the front door of the dungeon.

Thinking it's all an illusion put in place by a vicious bastard, the sorcerer uses true sight right at the front gate, discovering an hidden door handle made to look like a brick in the wall. They pull the level, open the door, and find a ladder leading down to an underground aqueduct and a post where a rowboat had been tied. They'd blown tens of thousands in gold on consumables, taken three days to plow through the whole tower and called in favors to face the BBEG in a massive showdonwn and win the kingdom for the pretty princess that hired them on little more than a hope and a prayer. Only to find they'd been fucked with, the entire dungeon tower was a gigantic timewaster, and that the main antagonist had simply laid a not-quite well enough hidden path for them to find the tower, then fucked off down the river as they charged headlong into the "final showdown."

That's what happens when the BBEG is a Law Evil fighter-rogue with her own adventuring background and high INT/WIS scores. She knows exactly how adventurers and mercenaries think, and used that against them as she gathered her army to take over an entire (admittedly lawless and collapsing) border kingdom. The party eventually changed sides to work for her, since she obviously had her shit together and the naive disney princess didn't.

Even ended well for the exiled princess, who ended up adopted by the victorious BBEG to serve as a figurehead ruler as the real power (and the player characters) led an invasion of a couple other small border city-states.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Situations like that are why my wizard characters spam the crap out of enemy locations with divination spells :)

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

you know.. they could always just DIG into the dungeons and excavate the bloody things lol
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-12-26 02:13pm you know.. they could always just DIG into the dungeons and excavate the bloody things lol
That would be more time consuming with most dungeons. This one might be one of the few exceptions.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Been over a month since the last one. Could he be sick again? :(