THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Devotee

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Ralin » 2020-09-24 03:30pm

LadyTevar wrote:
2020-09-24 02:40pm
I don't know about the Switches... but remember she built this because the Dwarf respected Strength. The toughest monsters, to test those searching.
And she herself was apparently something of a trickster, so I don't think it's implausible that she would build the place to honor her dwarf friend who respected strength above all else, tell everyone that she was doing so and then have the actual way the gate is defended be something else entirely.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 » 2020-09-24 04:42pm

Yes, but we know she already put one twist of her own on it: The many multiple doors. Who's to say she didn't do more than that? It would be one hell of a double bluff.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2020-09-24 04:56pm

Trickster - multiple-need-to-be-a-rogue-to-find-in-each dungeon
Strength - Full of near-epic or epic monsters
Combination - have to clear it all to reveal the actual 'Snarl Dungeon' door, which is a dead-magic dungeon that makes the Beastlands look tame
\

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2020-09-27 09:54pm

Solauren wrote:
2020-09-24 04:56pm
Trickster - multiple-need-to-be-a-rogue-to-find-in-each dungeon
Strength - Full of near-epic or epic monsters
Combination - have to clear it all to reveal the actual 'Snarl Dungeon' door, which is a dead-magic dungeon that makes the Beastlands look tame
Then that's gonna backfire, because the MitD marked off several doors as 'cleared' when they weren't. We were wondering if MitD was having another one of it's "episodes" where it's doing something unconsciously that helps out in the end.
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2020-09-27 11:03pm

I can't see how it would backfire. Kill the lich, convince the Goblin to help, and then start going over each door one at a time, marking them with a different symbol. Hell, it anything, if the dungeon's don't refill, Team Evil would have made things easier.
\

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 » 2020-10-05 05:33pm

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub » 2020-10-05 05:50pm

Does anybody else get the feeling that we just saw the baddies walk into the correct door for the wrong reason?

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat » 2020-10-05 06:21pm

I don't think they have the correct door, I think they have a door that hasn't been cleared yet but the Monster marked it. The dwarves inadvertently blew his deception.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2020-10-05 06:28pm

Going by how this comic goes, yeah, it's a marked door, that wasn't done, but it has the Gate in it.
\

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2020-10-05 10:02pm

Solauren wrote:
2020-10-05 06:28pm
Going by how this comic goes, yeah, it's a marked door, that wasn't done, but it has the Gate in it.
That's how it usually works, yes, but would he do that when the MitD isn't with them? Also, would he do that when we still have the hanging-plot of who grabbed the Sapphire Paladins to resolve?
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren » 2020-10-07 01:49pm

He can do that by running 4 threads at once

Thread 1 - Team Evil into the door, and then back out quickly when they see there are monsters. They decide they need to redo the doors, starting with that one. MITD gets dragged along, or put in a perm. forcecage.
Thread 2 - Paladins wake up, talk to kidnappers, and convince them to help them save the world.
Thread 3 - Roy and Co follow Team Evil into the door
Thread 4 - Surprise! During a commune with the Dark One, the Dark One pulls the negotations with Durkon from Redcloak, and decides to go talk to Thor and Loki. He wants PROOF...... and he's shown a certain Astral Graveyard.

Ends in 'The Knot' - Show down at the last gate. Guests include - The Snarl, the three Fiends, Haley's ex-thieves guild, Elan's father and friends, a pissed-off Aspect of Tiamat (when she figures out the slaughter of those Black Dragons was linked to the Fiends attempting to take the Snarl....), Sabine, a Half-Fiend Death Knight version of the dead members of the Linear Guild, Roy's Archon, Roys' Father, Roy's Grandfather, V's master, the two members of the Order of the Scrible Xykon has in a gem getting lose, and the dramatic reveal that the MITD is in fact a variety of Giant Space Hamster that Rich mentioned in a 'letter to the editor' that was published back in Dragon Magazine.
\

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller » 2020-10-07 02:37pm

Solauren wrote:
2020-10-07 01:49pm
a pissed-off Aspect of Tiamat (when she figures out the slaughter of those Black Dragons was linked to the Fiends attempting to take the Snarl....),
Tiamat already knows; the Fiends had to promise her that 5 good dragons would be killed for every black dragon that died. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html , https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller » 2020-10-07 02:49pm

Nevermind, I missed what you meant.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage