Why did obi wan take so long to send Luke to Yoda?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Why did obi wan take so long to send Luke to Yoda?

Post by Darth Yan »

In canon there’s a three year gap between ANH and ESB. Why did obi wan wait all that time to send luke to Yoda? What was he doing?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why did obi wan take so long to send Luke to Yoda?

Post by Elheru Aran »

Current Disney canon: Luke is keeping busy on various adventures while Vader is chasing him.

Old EU canon: Luke kept busy on various adventures, with the occasional drop-in by Obi-wan.

So, basically, he never really took a moment to sit down and let Kenobi have a chat with him. Reasonably sure that even in the new canon he has the occasional whisper from Obi-wan in his ear, like at the end of ANH.

As to why exactly Obi-wan never says 'hey go to Dagobah' soon as Luke takes off the medal... we never really find out why. Maybe he was catching up with Yoda and Qui-gon. Maybe he thought Luke would be safer not actually becoming a Jedi until the Rebels could defeat the Empire. Maybe he just didn't have enough Force mojo to evoke a decent vision. Who knows.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe Obi Wan and Yoda saw the events of ESB taking place and decided that they would be a good way to teach Luke humility?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

He hasn't had alot of luck with this lineage. He might have wanted to see how Luke reacted to a few years of stress to see if the apple fell far enough from the tree before going all in.

It was also sort of important to make sure Vader didn't find Yoda. Perhaps Obiwan had some presentient knowledge of Vader being distracted during the events of ESB and that would be a good time to have Luke break off without drawing attention.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I always assumed it was a simple matter of Luke not being in the right state of mind for the knowlege, and command, to be communicated to him.

I mean, for crying out loud, it was almost like a Force Compulsion.

As the grandson of the force, I can imagine Luke was rather resistant to Force compulsion.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

It is implicit in the film itself that Luke's encounter with the wampa forced him to open himself to the Force in a way that he previously hadn't, thus finally allowing him to see Obi Wan's ghost for the first time. This was what Obi Wan was waiting for before he sent Luke to train with Yoda.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-10-31 04:13pmMaybe he just didn't have enough Force mojo to evoke a decent vision. Who knows.
Most likely this, and a combination of "Luke's powers are not strong enough to receive a full signal".

In ANH, almost immediately after his death, OB1's able to send whispers and such to Luke during stressful moments, like during the DS1 trench run.

OR, perhaps he had to wait until he felt that Luke was strong enough in the force that he needed a teacher to advance further, beyond simple parlor tricks and lightsaber play (without decapitating one's self)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The last is probably most likely. Remember Yoda wasn't keen on Luke as it was when he did show up there, straight up saying so.