Rogue One Production issues

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Rogue One Production issues

Post by ray245 »

This is a good well-researched video showing some of the problems that arose in the production of Rogue One. So while official sources might like to downplay the problems, or some fans might want to overplay the issues, the truth seems to be somewhere in the middle.

So it might be a good idea not to buy too much into what the official sources are saying about movie productions ( any issues or problems will always be downplayed), while being somewhat sceptical about fans who claim everything is a complete mess.

The production issues with R1, and Solo, suggest there are issues with the way Disney managed the production of their spin-off movies. This seems to be the same sort of problems WB is having in building their cinematic universe, giving directors far too much control and too little guidance on what exactly Disney wanted.

If anything, it highlights just how important it is to have a leader/president that has a clear vision for the entire SW franchise. Directors needs directing as well if you want to manage a multi-film franchise.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Rouge One Production issues

Post by Rogue 9 »

God damn it.

Anyway, for all Rogue One's faults, it gave us a war film in Star Wars. And also this. :mrgreen:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-24 08:04pm God damn it.

Anyway, for all Rogue One's faults, it gave us a war film in Star Wars. And also this. :mrgreen:
And this from Vadar if anything about this movie I remember this short ninety seconds of Vadar being the best dang Vader he can be.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-04-24 08:25pm

And this from Vadar if anything about this movie I remember this short ninety seconds of Vadar being the best dang Vader he can be.
I found that one of the most annoying scenes in the film, because it felt like such needless and poorly done pandering. It was a bit like the Spiderman bridge rescue scene, or the weird Bin Laden joke in Lord of War.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-24 08:36pm

I found that one of the most annoying scenes in the film, because it felt like such needless and poorly done pandering. It was a bit like the Spiderman bridge rescue scene, or the weird Bin Laden joke in Lord of War.
Quite the contrary. To me, what makes that scene so great is not "Vader killing random red shirts! Bad ass!" Its "the whole fate of the galaxy comes down to a few nameless men in a corridor, giving their lives against an impossible horror for a victory that they will never live to see." It showed Vader from the point of view of ordinary rebels, not Jedi- and for a brief moment, it made those nameless red shirts the heroes.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Indeed. For all his power Vader failed. Those poor sods didn't survive the process but despite being up against Darth Vader, they got the job done.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-24 09:59pm
Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-24 08:36pm

Quite the contrary. To me, what makes that scene so great is not "Vader killing random red shirts! Bad ass!" Its "the whole fate of the galaxy comes down to a few nameless men in a corridor, giving their lives against an impossible horror for a victory that they will never live to see." It showed Vader from the point of view of ordinary rebels, not Jedi- and for a brief moment, it made those nameless red shirts the heroes.
Yeah the whole scene is film in a way where Vader is the unstoppble horror movie monster and the rebels are the heroes you're suppose to root for. I like that you can see on rebel troopers faces that they know they have very chances of getting out alive even before Vader shows up, but also know there's no choice either they buy time with their lives for the empire wins and they'll probably loose their lives anyway.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The corridor slaughter reminded me a lot of the ground battle on Hoth: an army of brave soldiers sacrificing their lives in a doomed holding action so the rebellion could survive to fight another day.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I think that would have been an easier sell if Vader wasn't doing a bunch of stuff we'd not seen him do before, making it seem like a bad fanfic scene.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And could somebody please fix the thread title, if only to please Rogue 9?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-27 07:08pm I think that would have been an easier sell if Vader wasn't doing a bunch of stuff we'd not seen him do before, making it seem like a bad fanfic scene.
What did he do that we'd not seen him do before? It's not my favorite thing in the movie, but he deflected blaster fire with a lightsaber (not new), flung objects about with the Force (not new), lifted and choked people with the Force (not new), and killed a bunch of guys with his lightsaber (not new). If anything was new, it was the number of targets he was doing it to at once and the amount of things he was doing at the same time.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ESB already showed he was capable of saber-dueling and telekinesis at the same time.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Rogue One Production issues

Post by Vympel »

Edited the title
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-27 07:08pm I think that would have been an easier sell if Vader wasn't doing a bunch of stuff we'd not seen him do before, making it seem like a bad fanfic scene.
To be honest, I'd have preferred if Vader had simply blocked the blaster bolts with his hands and used the Force to kill the rebel soldiers. He shouldn't even have to ignite his lightsaber under most circumstances.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

I think it's not so much that he's doing things we hadn't seen before, it's that it is unusual to seen him so unhinged (as Vader; as Anakin, not so much), and that it's Rebel rabble that's causing it. He's calm when he orders the Raddus to be boarded, and he's calm when boarding Tantive IV a while later. The fight with Luke in ESB is the only time since becoming Vader that his actions indicate he's pissed off.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

houser2112 wrote: 2019-04-29 08:02am I think it's not so much that he's doing things we hadn't seen before, it's that it is unusual to seen him so unhinged (as Vader; as Anakin, not so much), and that it's Rebel rabble that's causing it. He's calm when he orders the Raddus to be boarded, and he's calm when boarding Tantive IV a while later. The fight with Luke in ESB is the only time since becoming Vader that his actions indicate he's pissed off.
I'm not sure how one can conclude that he's "unhinged" in the boarding action, as he doesn't speak, and his actions are neither reckless nor ineffective in defeating the opposition. The only thing that really suggests he's off his game is that he doesn't just Force pull the plans to him, but the effectiveness of the Force, and how its employed, is always inconsistently portrayed.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-29 03:17pm
houser2112 wrote: 2019-04-29 08:02am I think it's not so much that he's doing things we hadn't seen before, it's that it is unusual to seen him so unhinged (as Vader; as Anakin, not so much), and that it's Rebel rabble that's causing it. He's calm when he orders the Raddus to be boarded, and he's calm when boarding Tantive IV a while later. The fight with Luke in ESB is the only time since becoming Vader that his actions indicate he's pissed off.
I'm not sure how one can conclude that he's "unhinged" in the boarding action, as he doesn't speak, and his actions are neither reckless nor ineffective in defeating the opposition. The only thing that really suggests he's off his game is that he doesn't just Force pull the plans to him, but the effectiveness of the Force, and how its employed, is always inconsistently portrayed.
Indeed one could say that Vader was employing low key psychological warfare, by defeating to the rebel troopers. it should be noted that Vader never goes past walking pace or attacks overly aggressive, he treats defeating the rebel troopers like he was taking away trash rather then dealing with anything that could truly hurt him.

As for Force pulling the plans to him, we have to remember that both Vader and Sidious have issues with their arrogance overiding their intelligence, especially when victory seems assured. From Vader's point of view the question is why should he use the Force it's not like this rabble could stop him. So that's less him being "unhinged" and more his ego getting the better of him.

EDIT:That scene is a key demonstration of the sith princible (from the EU) that victory by itself isn't desireble but rather that victory must be a crushing defeat to the enemy that demonstrate your superiority to them.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vader is far less egotistical though than some other Dark Siders. In fact, post-Mustafar, he always seems very cold and deliberate. I think he pretty much had the recklessness literally burned out of him at Mustafar.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-29 05:00pm Vader is far less egotistical though than some other Dark Siders. In fact, post-Mustafar, he always seems very cold and deliberate. I think he pretty much had the recklessness literally burned out of him at Mustafar.
Less yes but there's times in the OT he gets his ego get the better of him. While post-Mustafar Vader isn't likely to jump to the path of a lightsabre blade, there's still a trace of "I'm better then you" attitude left in there.

What got burned (for the most part) off at Mustafar is the reckless show offiness of Anakin and early Vader, during the OT Vader's ego made miscalculate what those who don't have his dark side powers are capable of.

To put it more simply OT Vader was a dark side snob, while PT Vader was reckless of show off.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-04-29 05:12pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-29 05:00pm Vader is far less egotistical though than some other Dark Siders. In fact, post-Mustafar, he always seems very cold and deliberate. I think he pretty much had the recklessness literally burned out of him at Mustafar.
Less yes but there's times in the OT he gets his ego get the better of him. While post-Mustafar Vader isn't likely to jump to the path of a lightsabre blade, there's still a trace of "I'm better then you" attitude left in there.

What got burned (for the most part) off at Mustafar is the reckless show offiness of Anakin and early Vader, during the OT Vader's ego made miscalculate what those who don't have his dark side powers are capable of.

To put it more simply OT Vader was a dark side snob, while PT Vader was reckless of show off.
Notably, the Bespin battle between Vader and Luke Skywalker was as much about Vader exaggeratedly displaying his dominance and power over Skywalker as it was about turning Luke to the Dark Side.

Scarif was a situation where the information was vital enough that personal intervention was an useful means of retrieving it. He could've flooded the Raddus with stormtroopers (and probably did), but having troopers search the ship piecemeal would have taken too long; he likely had some notion that the Rebels would use a smaller ship to make a break for it with the plans, probably aboard the Raddus, and therefore a bit of Force-assisted precognition would take him more or less directly to the plans sooner than the stormtroopers could locate them.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.