Tory MP Stabbed To Death in Essex

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Tory MP Stabbed To Death in Essex

Post by Zaune »

BBC News
Conservative MP Sir David Amess has died after being stabbed at his constituency surgery in Essex.

Police said a man was arrested on suspicion of murder after the stabbing at a church in Leigh-on-Sea.

They said they recovered a knife and were not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident.

Sir David, 69, had been an MP since 1983 and was married with five children.

Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi said on Twitter: "Rest In Peace Sir David.

"You were a champion for animal welfare, the less fortunate, and the people of Southend West.

"You will be missed by many."

Who was Sir David Amess?

A Conservative backbencher for nearly forty years, the 69-year-old father of five entered Parliament in 1983 as the MP for Basildon.

He achieved totemic status within the Tory party for holding the seat in 1992, but switched to nearby Southend West at the 1997 election.

Raised as a Roman Catholic, he was known politically as a social conservative and as a prominent campaigner against abortion and on animal welfare issues.

He was also known for his championing of Southend, including a long-running campaign to win city status for the town.
Well, I suppose someone decided that just voting for someone else wasn't good enough anymore.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tory MP Stabbed To Death in Essex

Post by Crazedwraith »

Never heard of the guy until now. Poor chap.

At the risk of belabouring the obvious, murder is not a good thing even of politicians who are in a party I don't like.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The investigation has been handed over the counter-intelligence/terrorism, and is believed to be linked to Islamic extremism.

Why they'd go after this guy is beyond me, however....

Highlights of the guys career -
Animal Rights/Anti-Abuse Activist
A Bill that reduces 'fuel proverty' from 5.1 million house holds to 1.2 million over 8 years, that was supported by Environmental groups
He moved to get a statue of a guy that rescued Jews from Nazi-Occupied Hungary
Parlimentry group to promote awareness of Endometriosis
Supported a ban on fox-hunting
Supported more regulation on driving instruction
Bill for making knowingly supplying the means to make fake IDs and documents illegal.

Ambigious -
Backed the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, then critizied the Labor Party when the reason for the invasion (WMDs) never materialized.
Voted against military action in Syria (August 2013)
Supported Israel.
Supported Captal Punishment
Critical of Iran Government.
Eurosceptic (was in favor of the UK pull-out of the European Union)

Downsides -
Anti-Abortion
Opposed bills that supported LGBT rights
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Makes sense for a lone wolf (apparently a 25 year old Somali Isamlic extremist) to go after someone like this:

Relatively hi profile compared to killing random members of the public, while still being a fairly easy target when compared to going after someone like the PM
White
Roman Catholic
Conservative - both party and socially
Israel supporter
Eurosceptic (aka likely anti immigrant, and anti refugee)

And Stabbed to death in a Christian Church surrounded by his constituents.

In terms of maximum impact and stirring sh*t up, not a bad choice as far as lone wolf attacks go. Or if your feeling like a conspiracy theorist today, a good sacrificial lamb for Conservatives.

Either way I wouldn’t be surprised if conservatives use this event to the fullest, martyr the guy and pass some more police/surveillance/terrorist/anti Muslim/anti immigrant powers in the same of “security.“
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage