On this date in 1973..

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

On this date in 1973..

Post by mr friendly guy »

Nothing of note happened in Chile according to CNN, WaPo and the NYT (no I checked).

However according to Venezuela's mouthpiece, this happened.

Apparently the United States being the champion of democracy decided what better way to promote and spread democracy than by overthrowing a democratically elected leader and replacing them with a dictator friendly to US geopolitical goals. Take that autocracy, the US proves once again how correct the democratic peace theory is.. oh wait, um, never mind.

Anyway, the ascension of Pinochet in Chile led to the estimated deaths of 60,000 people. So when the US calls upon us to help overthrow another government in Latin America, lets give them another chance. Maybe this time they won't fuck it up.... googles Bolivia 2019. Oh it happened last year. And US corporatist rags like NYT and WaPo supported it in the name of democracy of course. Only Bernie Sanders called it a coup. Anyway, I am sure this new government won't do anything bad like shooting protesters... oh wait,they already did that?

Its like since WWII the US has the reverse midas touch with countries it wants to overthrow. Whatever it touches turns to shit.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: On this date in 1973..

Post by Tribble »

It’s more like the world wars were one of the only times in US history (If not the only times) where their intervention could be seen as a net positive, at least when compared to the forces they were opposing. On either side the rest of the time is almost always some kind of US conquest.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: On this date in 1973..

Post by LadyTevar »

Look up Belize in the mid-80s.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet