Who do you vote for if it's McCain Vs. Hillary

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Who do you vote for?

(American Voter) John McCain
20%
(American Voter) Hillary Clinton
33%
(Non-American) John McCain
4%
(Non-American) Hillary Clinton
11%
(American Voter) Third Party
9%
(Non-American) Third Party
5%
(American Voter) I'm writing in for your Castration, Straha
10%
(Non-American Voter) I'm writing in for your Castration, Straha
8%

Total votes: 212

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patrick Degan wrote: I guess the main reason for McCain over Hillary is that I have at least some idea what I'm getting, so I have time to prepare for the the worst.
What kind of fucked-up reasoning is THAT?![/quote]

The same type of non-reasoning that mindless middle fucktards used to vote Bush into office in 04.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

Post by MichaelFerrariF1 »

Patrick Degan wrote:What kind of fucked-up reasoning is THAT?!
One that takes a dim and pessimistic view of politics.
You need a Ferrari, no, two Ferraris powersliding around a Bentley...that's also powersliding. - Jeremy Clarkson
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Retarded, is what it is. That's like saying between being locked in a room with a rabid dog and getting shot in the head, you'll take the shot because you know what's coming.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

I think of it more like knowing your enemy so you can better fight against them.
You need a Ferrari, no, two Ferraris powersliding around a Bentley...that's also powersliding. - Jeremy Clarkson
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:I think of it more like knowing your enemy so you can better fight against them.
By your non-logic, you seem to be one of the people who'd stay onboard a burning ship because you know what to expect from it instead of jumping in the ocean, because there might be something dangerous in there.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Even better, the enemy that you 'know' is being fought against BY VOTING FOR THEM. Bring them down, oust them from power, save the country - BY VOTING FOR THEM.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:What kind of fucked-up reasoning is THAT?!
One that takes a dim and pessimistic view of politics.
Or rather, one which appears to bear out my essential observations about the motives for voting for today's GOP.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

Look. I don't see much difference between either of them and given a choice, I wouldn't vote for either of them. That's what I said at the beginning.

My ideal election would be Ron Paul vs Barack Obama. A win-win situation.
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

If you look up my posts in other threads, you'll see that I don't like Bush, the GOP, the religious right, etc.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

This isn't about popularity; it's about your broken logic. You know they both suck, so you'll vote for the definately terrible one so you can 'know' them and 'fight' them?

Call me nuts, but the US doesn't have compulsory voting. Voting is thus not 'best fit' but 'direct support'; voting McCain is openly saying 'I support this man to lead the country'. Sorry, 'I support this man so I can fight him somehow'.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:Look. I don't see much difference between either of them and given a choice, I wouldn't vote for either of them. That's what I said at the beginning.

If you don't see much of a difference then clearly you haven't been doing much beyond listening to the party talking-heads. The fact that voting is purely voluntary makes your "don't have a choice" bullshit hilarious.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stark wrote: Call me nuts, but the US doesn't have compulsory voting. Voting is thus not 'best fit' but 'direct support'; voting McCain is openly saying 'I support this man to lead the country'. Sorry, 'I support this man so I can fight him somehow'.
I agree with you and that's why I haven't voted Democrat or Republican in either of the last two Presidential elections. I haven't liked the candidates on either side so I've voted "Third Party" each time. And, before any jackasses come out and tell me that I essentially voted for Bush by default I want to point out that my state (Arizona) went strongly Republican both times and all the protests votes like mine going to the Democrats would likely not have changed who won this state.

Personally, I fucking hate "lesser of two evils" voting. We should have better choices than that and continuing to vote along those lines is just going to keep giving us the same sort of crap. Still, if I knew how shitty Bush was going to be back in 2000 I'd probably have voted for Gore just for the remote chance that I'd help avoid a disaster, but then who would have thought that any President could fuck things up this badly?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

I just one of those people who sees politicians as evil. [sarcasm]I guess i should just trust my government. After all, they're here to help.[/sarcasm]

This poll didn't have an 'abstain' option, so for our purposes here it is mandatory. In real life I probably won't vote if neither of my candidates gets the nomination.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:I just one of those people who sees politicians as evil. [sarcasm]I guess i should just trust my government. After all, they're here to help.[/sarcasm]
Or you could try, I dunno, thinking in terms of something that isn't a hilarious black/white fallacy.
This poll didn't have an 'abstain' option, so for our purposes here it is mandatory. In real life I probably won't vote if neither of my candidates gets the nomination.
You know, it would have been useful if you clarified whether you were talking about voting for the thread's poll or real life voting earlier in the thread. :wanker:
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:Look. I don't see much difference between either of them and given a choice, I wouldn't vote for either of them. That's what I said at the beginning.
From what I see, Mr. Ferrari, your entire thinking on the matter starts with "I don't like either one" to "I don't like either one" —though you'd be willing to consider voting for the man who DEFINITELY promises to give us four more years of Bushism on the half-assed theory that you'd "know what you're getting" and "have time to prepare for the worst".

Enjoy your stay here as our new chewtoy.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

:wtf: Under what mindless abortion of reason does Ron Paul constitute a "win" situation?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

The Spartan wrote:

:wtf: Under what mindless abortion of reason does Ron Paul constitute a "win" situation?
If you're a Repub who is anti Iraq war, Ron Paul would be 'reasonable'.
Ironically, he'd be more reasonable than Hillary Clinton. :P
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Glocksman wrote:If you're a Repub who is anti Iraq war, Ron Paul would be 'reasonable'.
Ironically, he'd be more reasonable than Hillary Clinton. :P
Yeah but all that other nonsense of his...

The gold standard is the one that really stands out for me though. Oooo, yeah, lets ruin the economy permanently so that we can pretend that our currency will only work when there's something real behind it.

Moron.

(Errr... Ron Paul, not you Glocksman)
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

I hope you're kidding, as I've shot people for less... :P

I know you're not serious, but I have to adhere to the stereotype of the 'gun loving violent American' at least once this election cycle.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The Spartan wrote::wtf: Under what mindless abortion of reason does Ron Paul constitute a "win" situation?
It's simple, really. He'd get exactly NOTHING done on the domestic front and would only have any real power in the foreign policy sphere where he's right.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Darth Raptor wrote:It's simple, really. He'd get exactly NOTHING done on the domestic front...
Which is sort of a problem when there's all kinds of shit that needs to get done.
Soy un perdedor.
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

The Spartan wrote:Which is sort of a problem when there's all kinds of shit that needs to get done.
I would rather work on fixing things myself. I have a hard time trusting the government not to fuck things up even more. I mean, look at the record so far...
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

Not really by myself. I mean the American people (including myself), charities, non-profits, companies, etc. Anyone but the government. There's kind of a Texan attitude of wanting the government to leave you alone. Non-politician candidates like Kinky Friedman and a constitution designed to make it as hard as possible for the government to do anything reflect this.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:Not really by myself. I mean the American people (including myself), charities, non-profits, companies, etc. Anyone but the government. There's kind of a Texan attitude of wanting the government to leave you alone. Non-politician candidates like Kinky Friedman and a constitution designed to make it as hard as possible for the government to do anything reflect this.
Ye-ah. That worked real well with the housing market...

I have that same attitude in a way. But that attitude doesn't extend much further than what I may or may not do in private (and to a lesser degree public) with one or more consenting adults.

All that shit that needs fixing requires government intervention because they're the only ones that don't have a ingrown profit motive. Just off the top of my head: roads, bridges, health care...
Soy un perdedor.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:Not really by myself. I mean the American people (including myself), charities, non-profits, companies, etc. Anyone but the government.
Who exactly do you think the government is, if not 'the American people.'?