Enforcing the Prime Directive

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:
Then why was Janeway so careful about not giving tech to the warp civilisations she ran across during the voyage home?
the same reason the united states doesn't give the tech to manufacture nuclear warheads to north korea. it's all about maintaining a balance of power.

If a planet just like modern day Earth, with 6 billion people was in danger, (lets say a meteorite is about to hit it) then the Federation would not lift a finger to help the inhabitants on that planet for the simple reason that they are not technologicaly advanced enough. The Federation would rather watch 6 billion people die than help a civilisation that is not as technologicaly advanced as they. How on Earth they can call themselves civilised is beyond me. My guess is that if something as bad as my above example actually happened, then the Federation leaders would be overthrown by the more compassionate general public.
they actually had an episode dealing with that. some civilian members aboard the Enterprise wound up beaming the remnants of a primitive civilization to the holodeck on the Enterprise and picard was definitely pissed.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Admiral_Handsome
Redshirt

Post by Admiral_Handsome »

they actually had an episode dealing with that. some civilian members aboard the Enterprise wound up beaming the remnants of a primitive civilization to the holodeck on the Enterprise and picard was definitely pissed.
ah yes, I remember that one. It was Worfs human brother who beamed them onto the holodeck. He was the only sane man on the whole ship in my opinion.
the same reason the united states doesn't give the tech to manufacture nuclear warheads to north korea. it's all about maintaining a balance of power.
Good point, but given that they were many years away from Federation space I don't think Voyagers crew should have given a crap about the local balance of power. They should have given their tech in exchange for protection, supplies and extra ships, which would have made the trip home more comfortable for the crew. But they tried not to interfere in the development of other warp capable races simply because formal relations with the Federation were not made. this is the prime directive at work.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Admiral_Handsome wrote:??? Then why do you have such a sissy girls name? What does it mean?
Might want to pull your head out of your ass.

Alyeska: The Great One or The Great Land

Then why was Janeway so careful about not giving tech to the warp civilisations she ran across during the voyage home?
Its called being prudent and not doing something that will bite you in the ass.
You mean like the Tamarians? No contact was possible so they didn't interfere with them for decades, they completely avoided them until picard bridged the two for future talks, and only because THEY were the ones who made the 'first contact'.
Prime Directive makes contact illegal. The Federation attempted contact with the Tamarians countless times. Difficulties in language translation made comunication near impossible so they left each other alone.
Am I the one at fault? You read my earlier post and then 'click' you finally understood and saw how pathetic your earlier posts had been.
You are at fault because you worded it so that no one undertstood your meaning.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Admiral_Handsome, by order of the SD.net admin staff you are ordered to cease and decist your trolling. You are irrelevently flaming people and putting these flames into your sig.

I do speak from authority because I am one of the boards Super Moderators.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Admiral_Handsome wrote:
Isn't that analogy a bit off?
This isn't like giving WEAPONS to another country- this is more like giving, say, airplane engine technology. It'd allow them to TRAVEL, but not necessarily nuke you unless they already had that kind of weapons tech.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Alyeska wrote:FYI Grow a Brain means that you are acting like and idiot and that you need to change your ways. The insult works in that it assumes you don't have one and that in order to change your ways you must grow one. Deductive reasoning isn't strong with you is it?
Ironically, one time (in real life) I told an idiot that and just *happened* to stutter when I said it. It came out, "Grow a Grain".
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Praxis wrote: Isn't that analogy a bit off?
This isn't like giving WEAPONS to another country- this is more like giving, say, airplane engine technology. It'd allow them to TRAVEL, but not necessarily nuke you unless they already had that kind of weapons tech.
same basic principle really. giving someone a new piece of technology that they're years from developing would give them a sizable advantage competing neighboring states wouldn't have and allow them a monopoly of sorts in that area. creating an undue rift in the power structure. it may not be as dangerous as nuclear warheads or advanced weaponry, but the fact it could lead to a dangerous imbalance is still a valid reason not to.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."