More Trektardism

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Whoa, he's saying the rebel jump from Sullust to Endor (in ROTJ) took SIX TO TWELVE HOURS? Even though the novelisation says something like 'in the blink of an eye'? :roll:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stark wrote:Whoa, he's saying the rebel jump from Sullust to Endor (in ROTJ) took SIX TO TWELVE HOURS? Even though the novelisation says something like 'in the blink of an eye'? :roll:
These rebel pilots are awfully tough to be so effective in combat after twelve hours inside their cramped cockpits.

It's a wonder none of them died of blood clotting, I tell you! SW humans are obviously born with cybernetic legs, the evidence is clear!
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

PeZook wrote:SW humans are obviously born with cybernetic legs, the evidence is clear!
That certainly may be characteristic of the dominant order of humanoids in the galaxy. :wink:
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Ruinus wrote:
For most of those, we don't have an actual time figure, let alone the ones you claim, or an explicit distance;
Can someone show this guy an official or canon map?
Be our guest: Map link
we do, however, have an explicit distance of "hundreds of light years" in the 6-12 hour trip of the Rebel fleet to Endor, and the "less than a parsec" trip in AOTC seems to take forever.
Due to a recent brain fart on my part, I cant remember what he is talking about, so... what is he talking about?
The Rabid Stupid Asshole's idiotic assumption that the senate meeting granting Palpatine emergency powers happened in the middle of the night, even though we see blue sky outside the building. Dumbstar insists that because its a slightly darker shade of blue than that seen in TPM, it can't possibly be in the daytime.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Stark wrote:Whoa, he's saying the rebel jump from Sullust to Endor (in ROTJ) took SIX TO TWELVE HOURS? Even though the novelisation says something like 'in the blink of an eye'? :roll:
Again, copying from the Rabid Stupid Asshole's "careful analysis" of the shadows outdide the bunker and a completely groundless assumption of the position of the bunker on the planet.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Dumbstar insists that because its a slightly darker shade of blue than that seen in TPM, it can't possibly be in the daytime.
He likely does not spend much time outside of his basement. It's generally obvious to us what the color of the sky is at certain times of day.

No, it's because Coruscant has different gasses in the atmosphere, thus the sky is different colors than Earth! :roll:
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

chitoryu12 wrote:
Dumbstar insists that because its a slightly darker shade of blue than that seen in TPM, it can't possibly be in the daytime.
He likely does not spend much time outside of his basement. It's generally obvious to us what the color of the sky is at certain times of day.

No, it's because Coruscant has different gasses in the atmosphere, thus the sky is different colors than Earth! :roll:
Oh, he has an "answer" for that too. See, the reflection on top of the senate building is in the same spot in the AOTC shot as in the TPM shot, so if it IS daytime, it MUST be the same time of day.

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Let's look at the logic of that. Anakin and Padme take "forever" to get to Geonosis. Yet Padme said they're closer, while the Coruscant Jedis would have to travel from "the other side of the galaxy", IIRC. Anakin and Padme leave Tatooine, Dooku confronts Obi Wan. Jar Jar helps to elect the Emperor, then Anakin and Padme arrive on Geonosis, where they're captured about five minutes later. That sameday, they're hauled out to the arena, then...THEN the Corucant force arrives!

So, right after the senate meeting, Yoda hauls ass to the Rishi Maze, grabs a platoon or three of clonetroopers, then heads back into the galaxy proper to Geonosis...

So, this means Padme and Anakin were prisoners for weeks, right? :roll:

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

<RSAtard>

Other side of the galaxy is a figure of speech damnit.

</RSAtard>

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

I read through the link posted, and managed to get to page 100 before I can to close the window, bang my head against the wall, and go take a walk.

The very fact that some of you have the endurance and willpower to keep debating with people like HusquerJay and SSPhoenix amazes me, and I applaud you for it.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

rhoenix wrote:I read through the link posted, and managed to get to page 100 before I can to close the window, bang my head against the wall, and go take a walk.

The very fact that some of you have the endurance and willpower to keep debating with people like HusquerJay and SSPhoenix amazes me, and I applaud you for it.
Ghetto Edit: ..."before I had to close the window," it should have been.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

rhoenix wrote:I read through the link posted, and managed to get to page 100 before I can to close the window, bang my head against the wall, and go take a walk.

debate? It's only a debate if both sides have valid points.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Darwin wrote:debate? It's only a debate if both sides have valid points.
I was being generous, since I didn't know what else to call it.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Lord Poe wrote:So, this means Padme and Anakin were prisoners for weeks, right? :roll:
They had a reeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy good lawyer. :P

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

In a sense shields are a weapon.
The stupid, it makes me sad. :(
is the DS a station? no. its a flying super weapon.
Its a big space station WITH A SUPER WEAPON. Although, isnt this uh (the thing when you debate names and words and such)
From the way Han talks it almost sounds like the Empire doesn't have more than a thousand ships. But then again this is movie canon which "can't" be trusted.
Why do Trekkies always assume that Han is always correct about the Empire (A soldier in the US army may not know exactly how many tanks, soldiers, missiles, nukes, guns etc etc the US forces have, so why should Han?) Also, isnt the power the DS uses far more than a thousand ships. What I mean is, 1000 ISDs couldnt destroy Alderaan the way the Death Star did (or can they? I dont know their estimated firepower so, I would know....)
When did we see the Trade Federation with more than a thousand ships at Naboo? Remember Movie canon.
Surely someone can field this one, I know how to, but someone can say it better than I can.
Funny I never see said blaster guns firing that far. I see the blaster cannons and missiles going that far.

He wasnt watching AOTC I bet?
Have any proof that was their orders?
:shock:
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TF ships at Naboo can be extrapolated by the density of ships surrounding the planet. It was a blockade, and we get a sense of the spacing between blockade ships, so maths show us how many total there should be. The idea you can blockade a planet with a small number of ships is absurd.

Dialogue being 100% correct is a hilarious take on 'canon'. It's 'canon' Han SAID IT, it's not canon it was correct.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Ruinus wrote:
In a sense shields are a weapon.
The stupid, it makes me sad. :(
Tell him to invest in a basic dictionary.
is the DS a station? no. its a flying super weapon.
Its a big space station WITH A SUPER WEAPON. Although, isnt this uh (the thing when you debate names and words and such)[/quote]
Well, we could run with this and therefore character dialog is wrong on TWO counts in that scene. However, this "rebuttal" is totally worthless given that space stations tend to be LARGER than spaceships.
From the way Han talks it almost sounds like the Empire doesn't have more than a thousand ships. But then again this is movie canon which "can't" be trusted.
Why do Trekkies always assume that Han is always correct about the Empire (A soldier in the US army may not know exactly how many tanks, soldiers, missiles, nukes, guns etc etc the US forces have, so why should Han?) Also, isnt the power the DS uses far more than a thousand ships. What I mean is, 1000 ISDs couldnt destroy Alderaan the way the Death Star did (or can they? I dont know their estimated firepower so, I would know....)
They treat dialog the same way fundy morons treat their favorite holy book.

When did we see the Trade Federation with more than a thousand ships at Naboo? Remember Movie canon.
Surely someone can field this one, I know how to, but someone can say it better than I can.[/quote]
When Qui-gon and Obi-wan are on approach. Trade Fed ships were spaced roughly 20 km apart.

Assuming Naboo is similar to Earth: Earth's circumference is ~24,000 km. At a ship ever 20 km, thats 1200 ships just to form a ring around the equator at ground level. I'm not even including the third dimention or accounting for the increase in circumference due to the ships elevation.
Funny I never see said blaster guns firing that far. I see the blaster cannons and missiles going that far.

He wasnt watching AOTC I bet?
Or TESB.
Leia: That doesn't sound too hard. They let us go. Its the only explanation for the ease of our escape.

Tarkin: Are they away?
Vader: They just made the jump into hyperspace
Tarkin: You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk Vader. This had better work.

Stormtrooper 1: Do you know what's going on?
Stormtrooper 2: Maybe its another drill
(only the most rabid of trektards would think that orders of "intruders matching this description must be shot on sight, this is not a drill" would result in two stormtroopers standing around wondering if they might be a drill going on)

Officer over comm: We've captured a freighter entering the remains of the Alderaan system. Its marking match those of a ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley
Vader: They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the princess. She may yet be of some use to us.

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Ruinus wrote:
You know whats funny? These retards will turn around and declare that Trek is the far more "mature" show. The old "Trek is for adults, SW is for Kids" bullshit. Meanwhile, they need everything spelled out for them in excruciating detail, just as Trek often does. Meanwhile its SW that is the franchis that requires people to do a little reading between the lines.

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Better numbers for the Naboo blockade.

Earth radius: 6378km
Surface area: 5.112E8 km^2
Ships 20km apart or 400 km^2 per ship
Means about 1.28 MILLION ships, for a full planetary blockade at ground level.

Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darth Ruinus wrote:\
Let's assume he is. "More firepower than half the starfleet"

The Death star would have around 4 million turbolaser emplacements, plus its main superlaser. Estimated firepower figures individually are roughly 10^20 and 10^32 joules each, respectively. Conservatively, that superlaser is equal to about 1 trillion turbolaser batteries, or about 16 billion ISDs, conservatively. So, 'more than half' the starfleet puts a lower limit on the Empire's fleet size at 20 billion ISD equivalents. According to Han.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darth Servo wrote:Better numbers for the Naboo blockade.

Earth radius: 6378km
Surface area: 5.112E8 km^2
Ships 20km apart or 400 km^2 per ship
Means about 1.28 MILLION ships, for a full planetary blockade at ground level.
That seems awfully, awfully close. Those ships are barely smaller than 20km. 10,000km apart is still plenty tight to blockade, and they won't be accidentally ramming into each other either.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darwin wrote:That seems awfully, awfully close. Those ships are barely smaller than 20km. 10,000km apart is still plenty tight to blockade,
Um, no, the ships are only 3 km across.

As for spacing:
http://image30.webshots.com/31/0/0/10/2 ... nNN_ph.jpg

Hmm. Perhaps its closer to 30 km apart. But even at 40km, thats still over 300,000 ships.
and they won't be accidentally ramming into each other either.
The ships were in stationary orbit. They won't be bumping into anything regardless.

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

damn, having trouble with the link. Give me a bit to upload it to photobucket (or you can just click your 'refresh' button. That seems to solve the problem too)

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Darth Servo wrote:
Darwin wrote:That seems awfully, awfully close. Those ships are barely smaller than 20km. 10,000km apart is still plenty tight to blockade,

As for spacing:

Hmm. Perhaps its closer to 30 km apart. But even at 40km, thats still over 300,000 ships.
and they won't be accidentally ramming into each other either.
The ships were in stationary orbit. They won't be bumping into anything regardless.
Just so you know, your link is broken.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darth Servo wrote:
I was speaking in very, very general terms. sorry. ;) I'm pretty sure though that naval blockades have wider spacing than 10x ship's beam length.
Darth Servo wrote: As for spacing:

looks to be 30-40km from that screenshot, yes. Is that representative of the entire blockade though, or are they clustered? Bears further examination.