SD.net Seapower (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zor
Sith Acolyte

SD.net Seapower (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

Today, Q has decided to do something to the established population of SD.net. However, unlike so many other scenarios he does not send SD.net back in time or to the ass end of the galaxy. We stay on earth at this time, but get something major.

Every not banned member of SD.net that has more than 50 posts is given command of his/her own fully equiped warship based on postcount and status as of the event. It goes as such (Wikipedia use for convenice purposes)...

Those with 50 to 1,000 posts get command of a Halifax Class-Frigate and the Rank of Commander

Those with 1,001 to 2,500 Posts get a Arleigh Burke-Class Destroyer and the Rank of Captain

Regular posters with 2,500 to 5,000 posts get either a Ticonderoga Class-cruiser or a Virginia-Class Attack Sub, depending on choice and the rank of Vice Admiral

Regular posters with 5,000 or more posts and moderators get a Kirov-Class battlecruiser, Wasp-Class LHD or a Ohio-Class Nuclear Ballistic Missile Submarine, depending on choice and the Rank of Admiral

Supermods and Administrators get a Nimitz-Class Aircraft Carrier and the Rank of Admiral of the Fleet

People with a VI or other such title are given a Freedom-Class LCS, they get the rank of Ensign.

Each of these ships is fully equiped, including paracites and aircraft and in full working order with a loyal Crew and Marines. As well, there are six automated floating naval facilities in the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic Oceans with automated munitions factories, aircraft factories, hydroponic farms for production of food, fuel production systems and such to supply consumables and automated repair yards, each able to service forty ships at a time, as well as being equiped with substantial point defense weapons, including anti ICBM strategic defense lasers and anti ship missile batteries as well as a few reletively resteraunts and Hotels. The SD.net Navy is broken up into Six fleets (Australian, East African, Eastern Pacific, Western Pacific, North Atlantic and South Atlantic) nearby a Base.

What do you do and what happens? (PS, i am taking a cruiser as i don't feel like being cramped up in a submarine)

Zor

-EDIT: Added LHD to listing to give us some basic ground power.
Last edited by Zor on 2008-02-12 02:16am, edited 4 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

The ranks and talk of fleets implies that we have to fit into a command structure and such. If that's the case I continue my university studies and resign from the navy, someone else can have the frigate.

Otherwise it would probably be fun going and playing tourist with my new frigate.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Awesome, I'm a Captain and a Captain! With an Arleigh Burke!

Anyways, we all run out of fuel, except for the ships with nuke plants. But before we do, I suspect piracy off Somalia becomes much less of an issue.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Couldn't we just hire ourselves out?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'd sell my ship and live a life of luxury.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Hawkwings wrote:Awesome, I'm a Captain and a Captain! With an Arleigh Burke!

Anyways, we all run out of fuel, except for the ships with nuke plants. But before we do, I suspect piracy off Somalia becomes much less of an issue.
Fuel is not an issue, the docking facilities are equiped with petrolium production equipment capable of meeting the needs of the Fleet and the air wing.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Can I get a Seawolf instead of an Ohio?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Zor wrote:
Hawkwings wrote:Awesome, I'm a Captain and a Captain! With an Arleigh Burke!

Fuel is not an issue, the docking facilities are equiped with petrolium production equipment capable of meeting the needs of the Fleet and the air wing.

Zor
So basically, we could sit our ships in port and make a fortune selling our free miracle oil?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zor wrote:Fuel is not an issue, the docking facilities are equiped with petrolium production equipment capable of meeting the needs of the Fleet and the air wing.
Found new countries based on these platforms. Dock the ships (sell most of the small ones) and sell the fuel and manufactured goods they're magically producing for hard currency. If they're extremely well defended (and everything is run by competent loyal troops) this should work. Frankly those Ohios are more of a liability than an asset, they make this ragtag bunch of total novices a dangerous nuclear threat that national governments will want neutralised by whatever means possible. Given decent ABM we'd probably be better off without them.

The problem with just selling the ships is the massive glut on the market, which vastly outstrips the demand or available support facilities - plus there's the problem of crewing them if the crews loyalty is to the initial captains. The platforms are the real prize and if the SDN ships don't act quickly to claim and defend them national governments (mainly the US) will.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Starglider wrote: Dock the ships (sell most of the small ones)
Dude, I think I speak for most of us small frys. We ain't going to sell our ships and do nothing. My TSS Lizcarol isn't much but she's mine and no ones going to touch her.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Starglider wrote:(sell most of the small ones)
You can sell my ship when you pull it from the cold, dead fingers of myself and my crew.

I hope the Sea King on my Halifax is at least brand new. I'd be pissed if it were some 40-year-old breakdown waiting to happen. Or do I get a CH-148 Cyclone, or even my choice of helicopter?

First things first, I set course for the coast of Somalia and begin destroying pirate boats and bases in the area, hopefully before the rest of the SDN Navy gets to it.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

I sink the ships of the two idiots who posted above me, then I sell my ship. Really, the only two smart choices are either cashing-out or praying that the SD.net fleet can organize fast enough to secure and hold the platforms. No sane government would let a shit load of ships float around under the control what amounts to mercenary control.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

We have so many damn Ohio class SSBNs that I enlist a few others and we hold the world to ransom, take over and live like Kings!
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Well, there'll be some 1514 people suddenly running about with warships now. That'll be some pretty significant tonnage, and plenty of it unorganized too. As much fun as I think it'd be to do some of that running about with my pretty little Halifax, I'd have to think it might be a better idea to sell it to some deserving government and go hide in a landlocked country, like Switzerland. [size=0](Fooled you, suckers, I'm going to Austria.)[/size]
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

I take my Virginia, name it the USS Monitor, and make a beeline for the North Atlantic base.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Rawtooth wrote:I sink the ships of the two idiots who posted above me, then I sell my ship. Really, the only two smart choices are either cashing-out or praying that the SD.net fleet can organize fast enough to secure and hold the platforms. No sane government would let a shit load of ships float around under the control what amounts to mercenary control.
FYI, if we have this many ships, they're probably just going to nuke the shit out of the platforms.

I'm taking my sub and I'm going to be laying low for the next several weeks.
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

With that navy, if we can get *at all* organised we rule the waves. Period.

We have a lot of CVNs and more than enough power to protect all of them.
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

Uraniun235 wrote:I'm taking my sub and I'm going to be laying low for the next several weeks.
I'm probably finding you. Then we can have a sub party.

The main problem is stick your head up the USN sinks you. I can't think of any scenario where I won't be sunk attempting to "defect." Red October sounds cool until you realize the United States has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose keeping you alive.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It all going horrifically nuclear is the most likely case though.

We need to connect all of our Ohio class subs together and start building Rapture and wait for the nuclear depth charges.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

My Kirov class is renamed "Aurora" and flies the red banner. :lol: The SDNavy is enough to sink any other Navy in the world, so technically we can subdue, and rather fast, all other nations by our presence alone. Then we can select nations to rule over. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Hmm close to 5000.

While an Ohio is a helluva lot scary than pretty much anything, I just think that the Kirov will be more comfortable for my lazy ass. + I can get a nice tan on the Kirov

Decisions decisions...
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

Maybe I'm a pussy but I don't want to sink USN ships.

If it wasn't for family I would rather be sunk than sink an American warhip. Because of my family, I would rather lay low than fight. Sorry SDN you will have to count me out... except for weedmando's world's longest sub.

By the way wautd you're a fucking cheater you only get a Ticonderoga get back up to sea level :x
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

We have the technology. We can live...

Under the sea, under the sea,
In an octopus' garden under the sea!

*nuclear depth charges start detonating*
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'll moor my Kirov off the coast of Sydney, and enjoy my new seafront property. In the summer, I'll travel to other parts of the world for holidays.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

brianeyci wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:I'm taking my sub and I'm going to be laying low for the next several weeks.
I'm probably finding you. Then we can have a sub party.

The main problem is stick your head up the USN sinks you. I can't think of any scenario where I won't be sunk attempting to "defect." Red October sounds cool until you realize the United States has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose keeping you alive.
Red October was in a much worse position; basically everyone knew where she was starting from and where she was going to. Me, I'm going to just dive down to max depth and crawl along at minimum speed for several weeks, then surface long enough to find out how badly everything has been screwed up.

I mean, depending on how things go, there might well no longer be a US Navy to hunt me down.

Actually, screw that. I'll take the Ohio-class after all. I'll need some way of avenging the Pacific Northwest if someone fucks up and drops a few megatons on it.
What is Project Zohar?