Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who would win Colonial Marines or Stormtroopers

Colonial Marines
24%
Stormtroopers
76%

Total votes: 38

Lord Jax
BANNED

Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

Post by Lord Jax »

What would win the Colonial Marines versus Stormtroopers same number of mariens to stormtroopers lets say 12 marines and 12 stormtroopers.

*Factors
1. What is more accurate M14A Pulse Rifle or a E-11 blatser?
2. How effective are the Marine weapons on the Stormtroopers armor (for example the smartgun, flamethrower, pulse rifle .ect)?
3. How effective are the blaster rifles?
4. Marines and Stormtroopers accuracy?
"A Royal Guardsman never seeks special privileges. Ever. His entire goal in life is to serve the Emperor, and the New Order he has created. His goal in life, and his desire in death."
-Major Tierce, Spector of the Past
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Let's compare with the guns at hand.

The stormtrooper's rifle range is nearly a kilometer in length as well they have heavier equipment.

When you can't get to the target because the opponent can lay suppressing fire before you get into range...I wonder who loses :roll: .
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Colonial Mariens Vs. Stormtroopers

Post by wautd »

Lord Jax wrote:What would win the Colonial Marines versus 2. How effective are the Marine weapons on the Stormtroopers armor (for example the smartgun, flamethrower, pulse rifle .ect)?
most important factor. I dont know in how far the armor of the stormies protects them but since the stormtroopers are way more armored compared to the marines i give this to the stormies
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

if you tell us the setting? 1 kilometer range doesnt matter in a building, matters a lot in the open
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Stormtroopers are definately superioor to the Marines since they have have greater firepower and armour protection.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Lord Jax wrote:What would win the Colonial Marines versus Stormtroopers same number of mariens to stormtroopers lets say 12 marines and 12 stormtroopers.

*Factors
The E-11 is alot more accurate then people give it, mostly due to the fact that, we see stormtroopers shooting at some of the biggest character shields ever. Remember, Luke, Han, Chewie, and Leia, had pretty good hit/miss ratio.
2. How effective are the Marine weapons on the Stormtroopers armor (for example the smartgun, flamethrower, pulse rifle .ect)?
I think the smart gun, and pulse rifle could put a Storm trooper on his ass. They aren’t pussy guns, and what comes out of them isn't some thing to laugh at. The 10mm, case less explosive tipped, standard light armor piercing round isn't going to blow though Trooper armor, but I don't think getting hit in the helmet, or chest will feel very good. A hit in one of the joints of the storm trooper could cause a massive wound, or even death.
The Pulse Rifle's grenade launcher gives them a little extra to work with.
The only use I can think of for the Incinerator would be cover during a retreat.
The E-11 blows big holes in the Marines, nuff' said.
As with the E-11, the Storm troopers are more accurate then they get credit for. We see them pick off standard character shield less Rebels with no problem.
We only see the Marines fight in close quarters, and they're good. I think the Marines could put up a fight, but at the end of the day, they'll be dead.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

give the stormtroopers pulse rifles and the marines blasters. Should get things more balanced ;)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Stormies still have better equipment! They'd be superior when fighting in the dark. Plus the armor also. And the other equipments. Thermal detonators, E-webs and whatnot.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

stormtrooper armor gives them an advantage of immunity to explosive devices/shrapnel, projectile and physical impacts, NBC protection, enhanced vision, coordinated communications, etc. Their blasters can fire over a hundred shots (and by EU evidence at "full auto" settings can produce a rate of fire comparable if not greater than a projectile assault rifle.) as well as having superior range and firepower.

Long and hsort, unelss they have some pretty impressive tricks up their sleeve, they're outmatched.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Lord Jax wrote:What would win the Colonial Marines versus Stormtroopers same number of mariens to stormtroopers lets say 12 marines and 12 stormtroopers.

*Factors
I'd imagine the minigun & smartgun would be quite effective, given that Stormtrooper armor lacks inertial dampeners. Smartguns are auto-tracking so they should have a fairly good accuracy, but miniguns are gonna be useless unless your doing CQB.
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Well another thing to consider is that the standard round for the smart gun/Pulse rifle is a 10mm explosive tip caseless round.(HEAP round.)
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Laird wrote:Well another thing to consider is that the standard round for the smart gun/Pulse rifle is a 10mm explosive tip caseless round.(HEAP round.)
Which translates into effectiveness against stormtroopers... how?
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

It only means that we can't be sure that the rounds wouldn't penetrate Stormy armor. We have nothing hard to work with, so no real conclusions can be reached as to the AP capabilities of the bullets.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Thirdfain wrote:
It only means that we can't be sure that the rounds wouldn't penetrate Stormy armor. We have nothing hard to work with, so no real conclusions can be reached as to the AP capabilities of the bullets.
Why not? IF we can't quantify it its a total non-issue.

(And we actually can, since we know the limits of human tolerances to recoil, and we know the approximate caliber.) The only unknown might be the explosive element to the bullet, but even that will have certian limits (the mass of the bullet/density of the explosive, for example.)
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Why not? IF we can't quantify it its a total non-issue.

(And we actually can, since we know the limits of human tolerances to recoil, and we know the approximate caliber.) The only unknown might be the explosive element to the bullet, but even that will have certian limits (the mass of the bullet/density of the explosive, for example.)
The explosive element to the bullet is the unknown quantity. We don't know what is used- it's clearly some sort of advanced explosive.

Hmm, here's and idea- The grenades the pulse-rifles fire are quite small (shotgun-shell sized,) and they create some failry spectacular explosions. Anyone have a copy of Aliens, so they could perhaps measure the diameter of the fireballs the grenades produce? Knowing that and the fact that the grenades are about the size of 12-gauge shotgun shells, we could figure out the energy density of the explosive.

I'm simply saying that without decent on-screen information about the AP capabilities of the

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Altough the stormie armor is flexible, it is still more clumsy than carrying no armor i presume? Perhaps this gives the marines a slight advantage when fighting indoor. Hell, they maybe even find a way to steal a stormies blaster to use it against them 8) ("Aliens" gave me the idea marines were capable in a whide range of tasks, improvising, teamwork,...)

I still think the stormies would win tough, altough the marines will put up more than a good fight. A fight i want to see :)
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Altough the stormie armor is flexible, it is still more clumsy than carrying no armor i presume? Perhaps this gives the marines a slight advantage when fighting indoor. Hell, they maybe even find a way to steal a stormies blaster to use it against them ("Aliens" gave me the idea marines were capable in a whide range of tasks, improvising, teamwork,...)
Did you even see Aliens? The marines DO wear body armor- breastplates, helmets, greaves. They are also packing heavy kits. Chances are that they are more encumbered, not less, than the Stormtroopers.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The Marines are more mobile because they wear less armour.

But I don't think that would impact much, simply due to the Stormtroopers' more durable armour and greater firepower.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

NM about the mobility.

Fact is, Marines get p\/\/n[)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thirdfain wrote:
Altough the stormie armor is flexible, it is still more clumsy than carrying no armor i presume? Perhaps this gives the marines a slight advantage when fighting indoor. Hell, they maybe even find a way to steal a stormies blaster to use it against them ("Aliens" gave me the idea marines were capable in a whide range of tasks, improvising, teamwork,...)
Did you even see Aliens?
Been a while, so sue me :?

and i said it would be a minor advantage so chill :shock:
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

Ghost Rider wrote:The stormtrooper's rifle range is nearly a kilometer in length...
Excuse me, but where do you get off giving a 1 km range? I know bullets travel that far and snipers with 50 BMG single shot rifles are supposed to be able to pick someone off at that range, but those little carbines? Isn't that kind of pushing beyond the point where you can hit something without supporting the weapon on something by a big margin?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

They have rifles, they don't use them in Counterterrorism ops like the ones we see in the films.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

FOG3 wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:The stormtrooper's rifle range is nearly a kilometer in length...
Excuse me, but where do you get off giving a 1 km range? I know bullets travel that far and snipers with 50 BMG single shot rifles are supposed to be able to pick someone off at that range, but those little carbines? Isn't that kind of pushing beyond the point where you can hit something without supporting the weapon on something by a big margin?
I think Ghost Rider means the heavier rifles we see them carrying in ANH.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Fact is, Marines get p\/\/n[)
Im not sure about that.

Let's see how the sides measure up:

Weapons:
Marines:
M1A1 pulse rifle- fully automatic, fires armor-piercing bullets at a very high rate, and mounts a multipurpose luancher which can be loaded with everything from buckshot to poison gas grenades.
Smartgun- Fully automatic squad suppport weapon, can be fired from the prone position contrary to popular belief. Fires larger rounds than the pulse rifle, but they are AP as well. Tracks targets via infrared, motion, and other methods. Supposed to be extremely accurate, placing three round bursts into the same entrance wound. (ref. USCMC tech manual.)
Incinerators- Well, a bath off hot napalm would probably kill a stormy, but since it only has a range of a couple of dozen meters, or less, it's probably moot.

Stormtroopers:
Blaster carbines: 1km range, hihg ROF, stormies crack shots. Blow marines in half. You know the drill.
E-Web: HMG, requires team to set up, can't be fired from the prone position. Ridiculously powerful, with very long range.
Do the stormies have a single-man portable LMG? I would bet they do.

Gear:
Marines have access to a number of useful technological tools (IR lenses, motion trackers, fully automatic sentry guns and the guided smartguns.) While their gear may not match Stormy gear for sophistication, it offers many of the same advantages.
Additionally, it sould be noted that the USCMC carries chemical weapons at the platoon level. This strongly suggests that they have NBC equipment readily available, as well.
Marine armor is supposed to stop modern-day solid rifle bullets with ease (bullets are shattered by the external hard layer and are slowed, and stopped by the bulletproof plastic layer beneath and the internal hard layer.)
Will offer protection from shrapnel, but worthless against blaster bolts.

Stormies:
All kinds of clever sensors in the helmet, enhanced senses, full NBC protection, capable of stopping most kinetic attacks cold. Probably capable of repelling the Marine's AP rounds, but then again, maybe not.

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Thirdfain wrote:Weapons:
Marines:
M1A1 pulse rifle- fully automatic, fires armor-piercing bullets at a very high rate, and mounts a multipurpose luancher which can be loaded with everything from buckshot to poison gas grenades.
Automatic fire is actually bad, because you want to fire larger bullets at armor, but at a slower rate of fire.
As for the grenades, buckshot would have crappy range and gas would be a waste.
Smartgun- Fully automatic squad suppport weapon, can be fired from the prone position contrary to popular belief. Fires larger rounds than the pulse rifle, but they are AP as well. Tracks targets via infrared, motion, and other methods. Supposed to be extremely accurate, placing three round bursts into the same entrance wound. (ref. USCMC tech manual.)
Still fired from the hip, placing a hard upper limit on the recoil.
Incinerators- Well, a bath off hot napalm would probably kill a stormy, but since it only has a range of a couple of dozen meters, or less, it's probably moot.
Incinerators are clearly not baths of hot napalm. They appear to be gasoline (or similar)-based flamethrowers.
E-Web: HMG, requires team to set up, can't be fired from the prone position. Ridiculously powerful, with very long range.
You don't fire crew served weapons while prone. That's because they're on friggin tripods, not butted up against your shoulder :roll:
Do the stormies have a single-man portable LMG? I would bet they do.
They have several.
Gear:
Marines have access to a number of useful technological tools (IR lenses, motion trackers, fully automatic sentry guns and the guided smartguns.) While their gear may not match Stormy gear for sophistication, it offers many of the same advantages.
Not really, no.
Additionally, it sould be noted that the USCMC carries chemical weapons at the platoon level. This strongly suggests that they have NBC equipment readily available, as well.
They'd better be damned quick to recognize chemical agents.
Marine armor is supposed to stop modern-day solid rifle bullets with ease (bullets are shattered by the external hard layer and are slowed, and stopped by the bulletproof plastic layer beneath and the internal hard layer.)
Will offer protection from shrapnel, but worthless against blaster bolts.
Their chests are the only areas that are armored, so shrapnel is going to get them regardless.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.