Boba Fett versus the Predator...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which hunter is the superior foe?

Fett gets some new and useful hunting equipment.
58%
Predator mounts Fett's skull in his trophy cabinet.
23%
It's a tie. Both decide to get a drink together and discuss their personal victories.
19%

Total votes: 78

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Boba's armor will offer no protection but that doesn't mean that Boba will be able to take hits with impunity.
It depends on where it hits. There's no reason to assume that the Predator wasn't attempting to kill Dutch (he killed/grievously wounded nearly all of the rest of the squad with the Plasma Caster with the probable exception of Billy and what's-his-face-with-the-radio); and that flimsy M16 practically absorbed the entire blast with at best superficial pain to Dutch. The whole thing screams 'material dependant target effects' to me. Great on flesh, not so great on armor.

As for the second Predator's Plasma Caster being 'reduced power', I don't see where this comes from. You see the same sort of target effects on Blaine against the first Jamaican who buys it in the penthouse slaughter, if not the same sort of bolt (and god I HATE the Predator 2 bolt).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Actually you don't see the same effect,Blaines entire torso was missing.

The jamacian had a small hole in him(I'll snap a screen shot when I get home.)

Besides it clearly states that elders recieve better equipment in Alien vs Predator:Wars(Novel) which is canon to some degree.

I'll hunt for the approriate quote.(Again when I get home...Gotta remeber where that novel is.)
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Laird

Post by Laird »

Vympel wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote: Don't get me wron

As for the second Predator's Plasma Caster being 'reduced power', I don't see where this comes from. You see the same sort of target effects on Blaine against the first Jamaican who buys it in the penthouse slaughter, if not the same sort of bolt (and god I HATE the Predator 2 bolt).
http://members.shaw.ca/dmz/debatepics/PREDATOR2-5.jpg

As you can clearly see the damage done to an unarmored doped up jamacian is alot less in predator 2,When compared to the Plasma casters shot to Blaine in Predator 1.(Seen in the below link.)

http://members.shaw.ca/dmz/debatepics/goo.jpg
Laird

Post by Laird »

Bah! I hate not having an edit button in the HOS, Makes adding ideas for a post to a previous thread impossible.
(I only thought to capture the two diffrent models of plasma caster after I had posted.:P)

Anyways heres the more powerful version that is given to "Blooded" predators.

http://members.shaw.ca/dmz/debatepics/PREDATOR-1.jpg

Heres the "Noob" version they give to all their aspiring hunters.

http://members.shaw.ca/dmz/debatepics/PREDATOR2-1.jpg
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Why did this end up in HoS?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Laird

Post by Laird »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Why did this end up in HoS?
Thats what I was wondering myself.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

it's all because of you laird!

(really don't know but it sounded good.)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Laird

Post by Laird »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:it's all because of you laird!

(really don't know but it sounded good.)
Whee!

Oh look it's back! *Jaws music* DUN DUN DUN DUN!*Jaws music.*

anyways we ready to debate again,I know for once I'll seriously debate.(Seeing as predator is one of the universe I still respect.):P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Laird wrote: like the infamous carbine shot to leias shoulder?:P
I thought there were orders to get Leia alive or something.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Laird wrote: like the infamous carbine shot to leias shoulder?:P
I thought there were orders to get Leia alive or something.
Hey man, wouldn't you want that chick captured alive? Personally I thought it hit the armoured bunker and a part of the beam hit her shoulder, or something. I can't back that up though.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

When someone mentioned this blaster incident to disprove the ass kicking caliber of blasters when compared to phasers and such shit laser beamZ0rZZZ!!!, the warsies and whatnot always refer to Vader ordering that Leia and company be brought back alive.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Laird wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:Why did this end up in HoS?
Thats what I was wondering myself.
It was beause of this:
Laird wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:
Laird wrote: Since when? I always was under the impression it was offical.
It is, you just missed the *wank wank* noises. :P
Yeah thats what I figured.
Some mods have a low tolerence for jokes it would seem. Guess I have to be careful. One can accuse Trekkies of wanking for pages worth of threads, but one implied comment of Warsies wanking and the thread is flushed.

Anyhow, back on topic. Still no mention of the Predator's other arsenal. His netgun by all accounts should be able to slam and pin Fett like any other victim, though with the exception of the physical damaged inflicted do to his armor protection. The penetration power of the Predator's disc is also interesting. I reviewed the scene in question and the predator's disc cut through four whole slaughtered cows and a human torso without slowing down. That sucker might cause trouble for even an armored target. Also, the disc apparently didn't have much trouble digging into solid concrete later in the film either.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If the Pred uses his disc, or whatever big guns he has, then Fett looses his head. But Fett's armament is more than enough to disintegrate the Pred. So, if the Pred uses his heavy stuff, this match is going to end when either one of them fires first. But if the Pred merely sees Boba has a gun and uses the plasma caster, the Pred is fucked since Boba's gun is not just a gun but a blaster. And Boba's armor can withstand blaster blasts which > shoulder cannon.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

You know Robert...sinde little shit aside, are you even going to provide ONE CALCULATION?

I mean it's been going on for 4 pages...and nada, zip, zero on the Pred whatsoever...same with Boba, but you can dig up and find stuff on his basic weaponry here. The exotic one should have some proof of ability, but you are crowing for Pred this and Pred that and have yet to provide shit.

I pointed where it's done before, so unless you provide something to back up why you say the Pred is better...it's literally Predator wanking.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Dude, come on! Not all of us are math wizes who can cook up calcs to convert some rubber band's potential energy to the megajoules or whatever. But we don't need to have calcs to figure out some basics. Like the Pred's disc being able to sever Boba's head, or the disc being able to do nasty stuff to Boba's back pack or something.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:If the Pred uses his disc, or whatever big guns he has, then Fett looses his head. But Fett's armament is more than enough to disintegrate the Pred. So, if the Pred uses his heavy stuff, this match is going to end when either one of them fires first. But if the Pred merely sees Boba has a gun and uses the plasma caster, the Pred is fucked since Boba's gun is not just a gun but a blaster. And Boba's armor can withstand blaster blasts which > shoulder cannon.
Boba's armor can withstand blaster hits?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Ghost Rider wrote:You know Robert...sinde little shit aside, are you even going to provide ONE CALCULATION?
As in...what exactly? I need to provide calcs confirming the Predator's net gun should be able to net and pin Fett to a wall? Why? Is he super heavy or something?

And the Predator's disc? I merely submitted it can cut through four slaghtered cows(frozen I might add) and a human torse. The energy required for the disc to do this is beyond my ability to calculate. Suffice to say I believe that's significantly superior to any projectile even a high caliber handheld weapon could fire(not to mention the disc is vastly larger than a bullet, thus it's penetration power must be that much greater).
I mean it's been going on for 4 pages...and nada, zip, zero on the Pred whatsoever...same with Boba, but you can dig up and find stuff on his basic weaponry here. The exotic one should have some proof of ability, but you are crowing for Pred this and Pred that and have yet to provide shit.
Excuse me. I didn't know any information or examples I provide are useless because I'm incapable of calculating the joules behind the weaponry in question. Sorry, we're not all experts in that area dude.
I pointed where it's done before, so unless you provide something to back up why you say the Pred is better...it's literally Predator wanking.
:?: Perhaps you'd be kind enough to point out where I seriously stated the Predator better or is going to win hands down?
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:If the Pred uses his disc, or whatever big guns he has, then Fett looses his head. But Fett's armament is more than enough to disintegrate the Pred. So, if the Pred uses his heavy stuff, this match is going to end when either one of them fires first. But if the Pred merely sees Boba has a gun and uses the plasma caster, the Pred is fucked since Boba's gun is not just a gun but a blaster. And Boba's armor can withstand blaster blasts which > shoulder cannon.
This doesn't make sense...Boba Fett's armor is superior to Clone/Storm trooper armor? Blasters seem to go through Imp armor pretty easily. As Mike points out, the armor seems to merely be protection against potential flying shrapel from near misses.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Robert Walper wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
This doesn't make sense...Boba Fett's armor is superior to Clone/Storm trooper armor? Blasters seem to go through Imp armor pretty easily. As Mike points out, the armor seems to merely be protection against potential flying shrapel from near misses.
Surely you can construct a better argument than this. Boba needs only one suit of armor, whereas the clones need hundreds of thousands. Simply saying 'That would make it better than bog-standard Stormtroopers!' is not really saying much, Stormtrooper armor is never described as a pinnacle of protection(The Corellian Powersuit, on the other hand..).
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

SirNitram wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:This doesn't make sense...Boba Fett's armor is superior to Clone/Storm trooper armor? Blasters seem to go through Imp armor pretty easily. As Mike points out, the armor seems to merely be protection against potential flying shrapel from near misses.
Surely you can construct a better argument than this. Boba needs only one suit of armor, whereas the clones need hundreds of thousands. Simply saying 'That would make it better than bog-standard Stormtroopers!' is not really saying much,
Hmm...given the industrial and technological capacity of the Galactic Empire, I simply didn't think Fett would have superior equipment to Imperial troops. This just seems a bit strange in my opinion. Sorta like a modern hitman having superior equipment than military soldiers. That's not the impression I would have suggested, but you know more about Star Wars EU than me. *shrugs*
Stormtrooper armor is never described as a pinnacle of protection(The Corellian Powersuit, on the other hand..).
Alas, my lack of EU interest fails me again.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Robert Walper wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:This doesn't make sense...Boba Fett's armor is superior to Clone/Storm trooper armor? Blasters seem to go through Imp armor pretty easily. As Mike points out, the armor seems to merely be protection against potential flying shrapel from near misses.
Surely you can construct a better argument than this. Boba needs only one suit of armor, whereas the clones need hundreds of thousands. Simply saying 'That would make it better than bog-standard Stormtroopers!' is not really saying much,
Hmm...given the industrial and technological capacity of the Galactic Empire, I simply didn't think Fett would have superior equipment to Imperial troops. This just seems a bit strange in my opinion. Sorta like a modern hitman having superior equipment than military soldiers. That's not the impression I would have suggested, but you know more about Star Wars EU than me. *shrugs*
None of the EU is required to see the Cube-sized hole in your argument. 'A military with millions, possibly billions of troops to equip must equip them with the very best equipment'? No, they will use the most economical equipment. Boba Fett, on the other hand, has staggering resources compared to a single trooper. He has, for example, even gained an ISD briefly.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He had an ISD?!
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:He had an ISD?!
For a little while, yea. He's Fett. It's like Lobo, really.

Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

SirNitram wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:
SirNitram wrote: Surely you can construct a better argument than this. Boba needs only one suit of armor, whereas the clones need hundreds of thousands. Simply saying 'That would make it better than bog-standard Stormtroopers!' is not really saying much,
None of the EU is required to see the Cube-sized hole in your argument. 'A military with millions, possibly billions of troops to equip must equip them with the very best equipment'? No, they will use the most economical equipment. Boba Fett, on the other hand, has staggering resources compared to a single trooper. He has, for example, even gained an ISD briefly.
I just figured a Galactic Empire capable of constructing the Death Stars(as so frequently pointed out) would consider outfitting Imperial troops with latest and best armor a minor effort on it's behalf.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Where was this established? I've never seen either fett's weapon or a blaster weapon do several of these:

In quick succession, whereas we have seen the pred do it.

Would a load of them not seriously fuck fett up?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus