Boba Fett versus the Predator...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which hunter is the superior foe?

Fett gets some new and useful hunting equipment.
58%
Predator mounts Fett's skull in his trophy cabinet.
23%
It's a tie. Both decide to get a drink together and discuss their personal victories.
19%

Total votes: 78

Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Boba Fett versus the Predator...

Post by Robert Walper »

Well, presumably you know who these characters are:

-Boba Fett with his typical armament(armor, jetpack, blasters, wristwire, etc).
-Predator with his armament from "Predator 2"(cloak, wristblades, disc, shoulder canon, netgun, spear, med kit, etc, etc).

Two background scenarios(both are seperate unrelated conflicts):

-They engage eachother in a dense jungle forest.
-They engage eachother in a large populated city.

Who brings home the trophy?

PS: For the fans, you can replace Boba Fett with Jango Fett if so desired. Either would be considered pretty equal if I'm not mistaken(ie: cloned, same equipment).
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Fett is better equipped and more trained/experienced. With his helmet sensors, the Predator's invisibility won't work, his armor can probably withstand a hit or two from the plasma cannon, and Fett is good enough to actually fight a Jedi--instead of just getting wasted right away, like 90% of people.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Fett p\/\/n5.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

much as i dig the predator, Fett's simply got the ace in this match technological wise. the cloaking device won't do much against helmet sensors either, so unless predator gets a drop on fett, he's boned.

although if predator could somehow surprise Fett, the Predator might have a physical advantage strength wise if things broke down to hand to hand combat.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Fett is better equipped
Questionable IMO. The Predator seems to have some impressive tracking weapons with impressive destructive power. His self destruct alone would warrant caution on Fett's behalf, assuming he knows about it. This technology alone might make the contest a tie.
and more trained/experienced.
On what do you base this assertion? The Predator stalked and killed virtually an entire group of marines armed with high calibar machine guns and explosives. I'm not sure Fett would have had the same luck.
With his helmet sensors, the Predator's invisibility won't work,
Assertion without evidence. I won't assert this isn't possible, but it would be helpful for you to submit evidence establishing your reasoning rather than simply stating so. Does Fett's helmet have the capability to pinpoint foes with the capability to bend light?
his armor can probably withstand a hit or two from the plasma cannon,
I can't say I'm too sure about this. Heck, the Predator's wrist blaster alone can fling a human male back impressively(he was also wearing armor, which was heated to an unbearable degree forcing him to strip it off). The shoulder canon seems to burn through targets as far as I can tell.
and Fett is good enough to actually fight a Jedi--instead of just getting wasted right away, like 90% of people.
This is Fett by himself, not with ship support or others helping him, or others to distract the Predator.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Darth_Zod wrote:much as i dig the predator, Fett's simply got the ace in this match technological wise. the cloaking device won't do much against helmet sensors either, so unless predator gets a drop on fett, he's boned.

although if predator could somehow surprise Fett, the Predator might have a physical advantage strength wise if things broke down to hand to hand combat.
Might? We're talking about a creature that can back hand Arnold twenty feet in the air, snickers at any hand to hand counter attack and can physically rip someone's head and spine out with it's bare hands. If the Predator got a hold of Fett in hand to hand, I'd say Fett gets owned.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Robert Walper wrote:Questionable IMO. The Predator seems to have some impressive tracking weapons with impressive destructive power. His self destruct alone would warrant caution on Fett's behalf, assuming he knows about it. This technology alone might make the contest a tie.
The predator has a helmet that allows him to see in several light spectrums and a plasma cannon which caused far less damage than a blaster (and failed to kill or even significantly injure Dutch when it struck him). If we go with Predator 2 gear, then he also has a sharp disc which can home in on people, and IIRC a staff.

I think Fett will simply choose to blow the Predator away and not give him the chance to fuck around with his wrist controls. Dutch could have easily killed the predator before he self-destructed, but Fett is much more businesslike and will just keep shooting until it no longer moves.
On what do you base this assertion? The Predator stalked and killed virtually an entire group of marines armed with high calibar machine guns and explosives. I'm not sure Fett would have had the same luck.
His success was based almost entirely on his one-trick pony invisibility which is neutralized by Fett's infrared and motion detecting gear. Had the mercenaries been able to see him, he would have been a dead beasty. In addition, he was finally defeated by a man armed with a bow, spears, and simple rope traps. Not impressive at all. He appears to have the same level of training as an average hunter, just better equipment and a more powerful physique.
Assertion without evidence. I won't assert this isn't possible, but it would be helpful for you to submit evidence establishing your reasoning rather than simply stating so. Does Fett's helmet have the capability to pinpoint foes with the capability to bend light?
EU sources (notably The Mandalorian Armor arc) state that Fett's helmet features macrobinoculars, infrared scanning, plus motion and sound sensors. The Predator radiates heat and moves, so he will probably be detected.

I don't know what the source on this image is, but it tends to jibe with all of what I've read and was written by the man Lucas tapped to write the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. Make of it what you will.
I can't say I'm too sure about this. Heck, the Predator's wrist blaster alone can fling a human male back impressively(he was also wearing armor, which was heated to an unbearable degree forcing him to strip it off). The shoulder canon seems to burn through targets as far as I can tell.
Mandalorian armor is supposedly designed to resist blasters, and the destructive capabilities of the Predator's plasma cannon are not impressive.
This is Fett by himself, not with ship support or others helping him, or others to distract the Predator.
He won't need them.

As for hand-to-hand combat, it won't come to that. Fett is equipped with a flame thrower, he'll simply toast the beasty rather than duke it out. He isn't a moron, after all.
--The Lord Humungus
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

The predator has NOTHING on Fett, he gets owned hard.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I voted for drinking....

hey, SW firepower & sensors out does anything the preds own, however the hunters would always be useful as a distraction, so being ever the pragmatist would probably buy the Pread some booze, get him laid, and then use him as a distraction while taking out the primary target....

yeah that Hutt crimelord want's Samus delivered

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I never read the "Batman vs Predator" comic series but I undetsand it was a very hard fight for batman. What that predator more dangerous than the one in the two predator movies?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

To be fair, Dutch wasn't injured that badly by the Plasma Caster because it went through his M16/M203 first. Unfortunately noone's going to be foolish enough to argue that Fett's armor is weaker than an M16, are they? 8)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Well the plasma caster the first pred(Be it alittle diffrent from the rookies in pred 2) was able to turn jessie venturas torso to goo...
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Robert Walper wrote:His self destruct alone would warrant caution on Fett's behalf, assuming he knows about it. This technology alone might make the contest a tie.
I was always under the impression that the explosion that created the mushroom cloud was actually not from the Predator himself but his well hidden ship.......cause...you know.....there's two explosions......a smaller one (kills the predator)...then the big badda boom (destroys his ship so it's not scavenged). :?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Damaramu wrote: I was always under the impression that the explosion that created the mushroom cloud was actually not from the Predator himself but his well hidden ship.......cause...you know.....there's two explosions......a smaller one (kills the predator)...then the big badda boom (destroys his ship so it's not scavenged). :?
Uhh..... and where is this hidden ship?

In Pred 2 we hear the G-man rant shit about how the Pred can self destruct and nuke a few city blocks. Nothing about an exploding invisible space ship.
Well the plasma caster the first pred(Be it alittle diffrent from the rookies in pred 2) was able to turn jessie venturas torso to goo...
Jessie Ventura had a bad case of gas :lol:

Blasters can do the same to starship walls. So, blaster > Pred shoulder cannon
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Damaramu wrote: I was always under the impression that the explosion that created the mushroom cloud was actually not from the Predator himself but his well hidden ship.......cause...you know.....there's two explosions......a smaller one (kills the predator)...then the big badda boom (destroys his ship so it's not scavenged). :?
Uhh..... and where is this hidden ship?

In Pred 2 we hear the G-man rant shit about how the Pred can self destruct and nuke a few city blocks. Nothing about an exploding invisible space ship.
Jessie Ventura had a bad case of gas :lol:

Blasters can do the same to starship walls. So, blaster > Pred shoulder cannon
Yet, the same blasters don't do that to unarmored Imperial troops....fascinated the blind eye is.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Fett's arms are unarmored from below the shoulder to below the elbow. His legs are almost totally unarmored, save for two plates around the knees. There's a gap between the chest plate and the plating over his groin, and it would appear that the sides of his torso are likewise unprotected. This is a significant fact in light of the shot which the Predator fires that amputates Dillon's right arm above the elbow in the first Predator film. I'm basing that on Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary, pages 50-51. His helmet is equipped with motion sensors of unspecified range. SW:TVD does not indicate whether or not his helmet has thermo-imaging capability... if it does, it's already established in both Predator movies that the Pred is visible in infrared. So, either way the cloak is a nonissue.

To cut the appearance of Uber-Fett off at the pass, I present the following sequence of events from Return of the Jedi. Boba comes dashing out the top of the sail barge after you see one of Jabba's thugs clamp a large blaster to the sail barge railing and shoot at the prisoner skiff, knocking both Lando and the last surviving guard overboard. Not even pausing at the railing, Boba lights off his rocket pack, sailing through the air over to the prisoner skiff and landing right in front of Luke, who promptly cuts his blaster carbine in half as he's taking aim. The gunner up on the barge fires again, wounding Chewie and knocking Han and Chewie both down to the deck. Boba takes advantage of Luke's momentary distraction to fire his grappling line, which Luke promptly severs. Right as Luke severs the line the gunner up on the barge fires again, and Boba gets knocked down to the deck. At this point the guard skiff comes roaring in and Luke jumps onto it. Boba slowly gets up from the deck, taking aim and firing a shot from his left arm blaster that goes over Lukes head by about 3 feet. The scene cuts to Han crouched over Chewie, saying "Boba Fett? where?!" as Boba fires *again* at Luke and misses. Han whirls around to look and the spear he's holding slams into Boba's rocket pack and sends Boba sailing off into the side of the barge. Note that Boba hits the side of the barge with his shoulder before bouncing off and rolling into the Sarlacc's waiting mouth.

So, confronted with an opponent wielding a melee weapon, Boba places himself right within striking range of that weapon. He does not use his rocket pack to stay out of Luke's reach. He does not fire that backpack-mounted rocket at Luke despite the only three people on the skiff being Luke, Han, and Chewie (no "friendlies" to worry about.) He does not use his flamethrower when Han, Luke and Chewie were *all* in front of him where they could be hit. He ignores the presence of Han and Chewie on the skiff with him, with Han even moving around and armed, to fire two missed shots at Luke. And people call it "wishful thinking" when the Pred faction speculates on the Pred getting close enough for a physical fight? Boba's just lucky his rocket pack didn't detonate on impact with the sail barge like Jango's did when it came off his back on Kamino.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Boba Fett's armor can take multiple hits from high end level Star Wars weapons (i.e Blasters, E-Webs, Concussion Rifles)

I'd say that negates the shoulder canon.

I mean, come one, in Pred 2, the canon hit Nick Nolte's character in the head and he came back for more
The Yosemite Bear

Yet the armour's clothing appears to have a "skinsuit" type forcefield protecting it, as even beings without full sielage can survive exposure to hard vacume with no case of the bends or anything.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Beyond Hope:
Fett did fail to use his capabilities to the fullest in the ROTJ firefight. I would tend to say that he was emotionally preoccupied and possibly frightened by the appearance of Luke, a saber wielding Jedi in much the same tradition as the one who killed his father. He made a stupid mistake and lost his rifle, but luckily not his life.

He ignored Han and Chewie because Han was completely blind and Chewie was for some reason preoccupied (I can't recall at the moment, he was either still restrained or trying to save Lando). If not for Han's very good luck, Fett probably would have killed Luke and turned to finish the others off.

Kamakazie Sith:
The idea that soldiers would tend to conserve ammunition by using power settings apparently did not occur to you. Against unarmored personnel they would probably use a lower setting than that which they would against materials or someone in effective armor, like Boba Fett. We know for a fact that blasters can cause substantial property damage, enough to gouge a head-sized hole out of a sand-stone or adobe wall. That's a little more than the Predator's weapon could ever claim.

BTW, the character in Predator is played by the inimitable Gary Busey, not Nick Nolte. The two look rather similar and I can understand the mistake :)
--The Lord Humungus
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Yet the armour's clothing appears to have a "skinsuit" type forcefield protecting it, as even beings without full sielage can survive exposure to hard vacume with no case of the bends or anything.
It's probably not a forcefield as much as it is just being an airtight material and a sealed suit. Possibly the body glove has the ballistic characteristics of kevlar (or better)? Speculation aside... the Predator would probably aim for a center of mass shot anyway.
--The Lord Humungus
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Solauren wrote:Boba Fett's armor can take multiple hits from high end level Star Wars weapons (i.e Blasters, E-Webs, Concussion Rifles)

I'd say that negates the shoulder canon.

I mean, come one, in Pred 2, the canon hit Nick Nolte's character in the head and he came back for more
A couple points; That was not Nick Nolte. The blast didn't hit him in the head, and judging from the damage caused to Jesse Venturas character, and the fact that another character from the first movie was actually hit in the head which promptly turned his head into a canoe....
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Beyond Hope:
Fett did fail to use his capabilities to the fullest in the ROTJ firefight. I would tend to say that he was emotionally preoccupied and possibly frightened by the appearance of Luke, a saber wielding Jedi in much the same tradition as the one who killed his father. He made a stupid mistake and lost his rifle, but luckily not his life.

He ignored Han and Chewie because Han was completely blind and Chewie was for some reason preoccupied (I can't recall at the moment, he was either still restrained or trying to save Lando). If not for Han's very good luck, Fett probably would have killed Luke and turned to finish the others off.

Kamakazie Sith:
The idea that soldiers would tend to conserve ammunition by using power settings apparently did not occur to you. Against unarmored personnel they would probably use a lower setting than that which they would against materials or someone in effective armor, like Boba Fett. We know for a fact that blasters can cause substantial property damage, enough to gouge a head-sized hole out of a sand-stone or adobe wall. That's a little more than the Predator's weapon could ever claim.

BTW, the character in Predator is played by the inimitable Gary Busey, not Nick Nolte. The two look rather similar and I can understand the mistake :)
Actually it did occur to me my only problem with it is that in scenes where the blaster shots do that kind of damage to walls they fail to do the same kind of explosive damage to unarmoured targets within the same scene. Are you suggesting that the soldiers are continually switching from powerful blasts to lesser powerful blasts between each rapidly fired shot?
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Actually it did occur to me my only problem with it is that in scenes where the blaster shots do that kind of damage to walls they fail to do the same kind of explosive damage to unarmoured targets within the same scene. Are you suggesting that the soldiers are continually switching from powerful blasts to lesser powerful blasts between each rapidly fired shot?
No. There are a number of possible explanations for the difference. For the stormtroopers, it's likely that their armor partially absorbed the shot. For the wholly unarmored troops, it's possible that the bolt passed completely through them without actually detonating and the struck the wall behind them with somewhat reduced force.

I'm thinking of all the shootouts that I can remember from Star Wars, and there's really none that stick out in my mind as having an obvious inconsistency between damage on walls and damage on personnel. The detention block gunfight is possibly one, but it's possible that the cameras and other fixtures destroyed by Han and Chewie's fire were assisted in their destruction by internal explosion.
--The Lord Humungus
The Yosemite Bear

I was thinking low scale force field as the rebel flight suits leave too much of the face exposed to enable one to survive being ejected into vacume which the ICS, and behind the magic says they can survive.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Yet, the same blasters don't do that to unarmored Imperial troops....fascinated the blind eye is.
Well, it's not my fault that I overlooked that fact. I'm not that big an SW fan. Okay? All I know is that SW blasters can blow through walls, have variable settings, can stun people, can give people ignorable wounds in the shoulder and whatnot. The Pred's blasters can blow a guy's torso into bits, it can give Arnie a slight wound when..... ummm.... blocked a bit by Arnie's M16. And the M16's metal is probably not as strong as SW armor. So both have variable yields, with the blaster demonstrating a higher upper limit.

Don't bother engaging in a big debate in me since as I have said, I don't watch the SW movies too much.