A Lesson for Everyone (USSS Plans to interview Eminem)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

theski
Sith Marauder

A Lesson for Everyone (USSS Plans to interview Eminem)

Post by theski »

The Secret Service is planning to conduct an interview with rapper EMINEM, government sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT, after a new song by the artist appeared on the Internet -- a song that wished the "president dead!"

MORE

"We take all matters involving comments made about the death of a sitting president very seriously," a well-placed government source directly involved in the matter said this weekend. "This matter will be investigated fully, and I expect Mr. Mathers will be interviewed directly."
I see a body cavity search coming up.. :lol:

http://www.drudgereport.com/mattmm.htm
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Hey, it's illegal to say you wanna kill the president, and that cut it WAY too close...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

that is borderline treason. making a threat on the president's life outright is considered treason, which is one of the few crimes you can straight out get the death penalty for.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

[Sarcastic Mode On]He`s an entertainer its only a song[Sarcastic Mode Off] :roll: what a dumbass
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm sure this will be taken as the latest evidence of what a repressive police state the U.S. is.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Darth_Zod wrote:that is borderline treason. making a threat on the president's life outright is considered treason, which is one of the few crimes you can straight out get the death penalty for.
No, it's not. You can be arrested and charged for saying that you want to kill the president, but no sane judge would ever hand out the death penalty.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Durran Korr wrote:I'm sure this will be taken as the latest evidence of what a repressive police state the U.S. is.
Yeah, cuz you know, investigating thinly veiled threats against politicians is SOOO 1984 :P
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Darth_Zod wrote:that is borderline treason. making a threat on the president's life outright is considered treason, which is one of the few crimes you can straight out get the death penalty for.
No, it's not. Read your Constitution.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

From the lyrics that I saw, it looks like he was talking about money.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

phongn wrote:
No, it's not. Read your Constitution.
Yeah, it's not illegal persay (legit threats are treated the same as they would be for any person ) but no doubt you'll get a nice little file at the Secret Service.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

So now you can get investigated for saying "I wish the president was dead."

Fuck.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Iceberg wrote:So now you can get investigated for saying "I wish the president was dead."

Fuck.
What if someone said "I wish Eminem was dead" :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

You know what the ironic thing is about this? The Eminem song in question is actually a pro-gun rights rant.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Also, considering the lyrics:

"F--- money. I don't rap for dead presidents. I'd rather see the president dead." He reverses the line, a common technique in rap.

He might have been simply saying "I would rather see the President dead than to rap for money." I honestly don't think that he thought this would be construed as an anti-Bush line, given that Eminem has never expressed any Bush hatred. He has bashed Lynne Cheney a bit, though.

The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Who hasn't?
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Durran Korr wrote:Also, considering the lyrics:

"F--- money. I don't rap for dead presidents. I'd rather see the president dead." He reverses the line, a common technique in rap.

He might have been simply saying "I would rather see the President dead than to rap for money."
To me it looks like he's saying fuck money, he doesn't rap for money (refered to by the dead presidents, dead president pictures are on the picture), I'd rather see the president dead (meaning just that, he'd rather see the president dead, so.... ?)
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Iceberg wrote:So now you can get investigated for saying "I wish the president was dead."

Fuck.
You can get investigated for saying you wish anyone dead, it's just the Secret Service don't have the sense of humor of your local cops.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

"F--- money. I don't rap for dead presidents.
I don't mean to push this thread off topic, but I just have to say that Eminem's full of shit when he's saying this.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You can be arrested and charged for saying you want to kill the President? Under what law?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

Durran Korr wrote:Also, considering the lyrics:

He might have been simply saying "I would rather see the President dead than to rap for money." I honestly don't think that he thought this would be construed as an anti-Bush line, given that Eminem has never expressed any Bush hatred. He has bashed Lynne Cheney a bit, though.
I think it's more like "I'll rather be payed for my rapping with a dead President than with money", wich is saying he would give a concert or something in exchange for someone killing the President. Anyway, he deserves to be investigated even if it's just bullshit.
Gunshy
Padawan Learner

Post by Gunshy »

Vympel wrote:
You can be arrested and charged for saying you want to kill the President? Under what law?
Title 18, Part I, Chapter 41, Section 871:
(a)

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Well Eminem was not serious about this so the above should not apply.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

I doubt he didn't know what he was saying, so yes, it applies.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Gunshy wrote:Vympel wrote:
Title 18, Part I, Chapter 41, Section 871:
(a)

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Guys, I ain't no american. Heck, I ain't livin' in da U.S. either. But who's the moron who wrote that law anyway? How about freedom of speech? Is saying you wanna kill someone the same with actually killing him? Is threat going make you actually dead?????

Look, I don't even like Eminem (Sean Paul is a much better rapper, for that matter :)), but if they gonna' drag him to the court for his lyrics.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Freedom of speech does not let you make threats, whether to your neighbor or POTUS. However, whereas your local police may let you off the hook for threatening your neighbor, the USSS is much less lenient.

I seriously doubt that he's going to prison or anything. The Secret Service is probably just going to interview him and perhaps give him a warning and that's it.