[STGOD] info poll 1 - tech level

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tech Level of new STGOD

Near Modern
10%
The Race
5%
Star Trek
5%
Honorverse
35%
Star Wars
45%

Total votes: 20

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

phongn wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:Asgerd-I
It would be worse: there was the Asgerd-II deployed by the Sixth Imperium. Linkage

The 6I's fifth-rate sublight dreadnoughts were merely 900 meters long and could compare favourably with a 13500 meter SKS superdreadnought...
This kind of stuff is what I'd really like to avoid in this next STGOD,
something more realistic, than deploying 200,000 ships of all types
for a mere skirmish :shock:
I don't think I managed to pull that off; the Royal Navy had far too many committments for that.

Or even worse that the Asgerd II is my SGC battlestars. Though I never used them in large numbers (I didn't want disrupt the gravitational pull of an entire galaxy.) only deployed less than 500 battlestars at any given time.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Ok. good. Those uberwank ships scare me...
Your mages would get along fine with the I.R.S.'s technomancers.:)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:I put Kynes on the low-end of the omnipotents rather than on the superpowered mortals.
I just hope NO ONE is thinking about fielding those same characters again.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Enigma wrote:
They arent mages, they are Psionicists. Mages alter reality through the se of ritual spellcasting. Psionicists alter reality through the use of nothing more than their shear will.. :twisted:
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

phongn wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The Original STGOD, of course, with the Star Kingdom of Serenity, the Boyd Collective, the United Terran Republic, the Southern California Evacuation Force, the Second Galactic Empire, the Mars Pact, the Sixth Imperium, the GPF, the notorious "Vengeful Hegemony of Romulan Wrath," the tin-pot dictatorship of the New O'Farrel Republic and the even tin-potter banana republic of ARSE (they drink beer out of those tin pots, you see). Never forget, of course, the Two Republics, the New Republic and the New Republic Military Dictatorship!
Well, the SKS managed to last but the war between the Moon and Atlantis did take awhile to conclude. The Boyd Collective was destroyed by the Free French. The SCEF and UTR merged together (and oddly enough, the United States of America managed to survive until the formation of the UTR - no mean feat.) The Mars Pact kind of languished from inactivity; the SGE sat there with Rog's absence, the 6I languished under Kyle's absence, the GPF went mad, the VHRW was crushed, the NOFR kept changing its government and ARSE was, well ARSE. The NR finally died in and invasion and Halite killed the NRMD.

<snip>
I do not know what happened to the I.R.S. in the final showdown against Halite. Though the I.R.S. had huge fleets of battlestars they tend to hold their punches (Mainly because if I went all out I'd be labelled as a powergamer.). Oh and the I.R.S. pulled out of the Mars Pact since it saw no use in staying.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: I just hope NO ONE is thinking about fielding those same characters again.
"He has a giant 50,000 km ship shaped like a penis, so he's a wanker!"
says the people who had characters who can destroy half the universe
before lunch....I find that fucking ironic in a twistedly sort of way :D
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2003-08-06 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote:I put Kynes on the low-end of the omnipotents rather than on the superpowered mortals.
Hmph. I was very careful about how I used my superpowered characters.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Why? I'd love to use my alter ego, the "uber" Enigma. Only Serenity could stop him from doing anything. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

phongn wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:
Hmph. I was very careful about how I used my superpowered characters.
Same here.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: Hmph. I was very careful about how I used my superpowered characters.
That's nice, then it shouldn't hurt you to knock down their rarely used powers.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Letsee. I used Saturn a few times to beat up Halite's forces, but then she got knocked out for much of the war. Serenity prophesied a few times and that's about it. Titanite really hasn't done that much other than watch over a few people.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Enigma wrote:
They arent mages, they are Psionicists. Mages alter reality through the se of ritual spellcasting. Psionicists alter reality through the use of nothing more than their shear will.. :twisted:
Well my technomancers aren't mags in the sense of using magic. They use technology (i.e. nano and femto technology) to create the equivalent of magic or if not surpass it. And yes, psionics are within their knowledge. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote: Hmph. I was very careful about how I used my superpowered characters.
That's nice, then it shouldn't hurt you to knock down their rarely used powers.
Serenity is a goddess; Titanite not far from that. Neither of them may do much within the mortal realm, so they're more or less irrelevant as far as firepower is concerned.

Saturn will be knocked down in powerlevels, probably.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:I might start up a Saturn death cult like your power had in the STGOD2 for awhile.
Ah yes, the Knights. If their economy and societal structure had been more workable, I would have played them. Basing my nation on the Knights Hospitaller of Saint John was a bad move, in retrospect.

I'll be the Five Schools Society this time, a large secret society of Daoist/Buddhist mages organized along five doctrinal lines, being general (though updated) Daoism and four elemental 'monastic' orders. High level members will be rather tough :D
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Enigma wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Enigma wrote: Your mages would get along fine with the I.R.S.'s technomancers.:)
Well my technomancers aren't mags in the sense of using magic. They use technology (i.e. nano and femto technology) to create the equivalent of magic or if not surpass it. And yes, psionics are within their knowledge. :)
I intend to use them as horrible weapons of doom... Oh we will have ships... but we have Seers.. prophecy is fun... We have telepaths... Mindrape is fun... And then we have Telekinetcs.. the universe is at their command...
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

You'd be surprised how little command your seers find themselves having when my millions-strong fleet of warships begins destroying your major population centers with biochemical weapons.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Thirdfain wrote:You'd be surprised how little command your seers find themselves having when my millions-strong fleet of warships begins destroying your major population centers with biochemical weapons.
The seers dont hve much telekinetic ability... But they will see you comming, and the fleet will be waiting. And ALL are skilled at.. modifying,their bodies. Kind of like Jedi are highly disease resistant... Oh sure the chemical stuff will be a bitch...

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Thirdfain wrote:You'd be surprised how little command your seers find themselves having when my millions-strong fleet of warships begins destroying your major population centers with biochemical weapons.
*wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank*

Personally, I think each side should be able to have about 40+ or so
heavy capital ships (Battleships, Command Ships, Doom Stars,
etc) that take quite a while to build, which puts the focus more on keeping
a proper screening formation up to keep the enemy away from your
important ships...

(Basically think of a WWI battleline consisting of dreadnoughts, etc)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

MKSheppard wrote: *wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank*

Personally, I think each side should be able to have about 40+ or so
important ships...

(Basically think of a WWI battleline consisting of dreadnoughts, etc)
The Galactic Empire had hundreds of millions of ships, and our own fleets are all of a noticeably lesser size, commisurate of the damaged resource areas which are, despite often multi-galaxy holdings, indeed smaller.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

I figurwe with two thirds of a spiral arm under my command, I can field a million 4-kilometer dreadnoughts pretty easily, no?

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The STGOD Moderators will have the final decision on all fleets, Thirdfain. That's the way it works.

And there's another thing about fleets. Even if you have a million warships, you won't be able to use all of them against one target, since you NEED to leave some for defensive purposes.

And then fleets should not be all dreadnoughts. You need support ships, you need infrastructure. If you can't grasp those concepts, then don't play.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Don't worry, I have been through two STGOds already, I know how it works.

About 1/4 of my fleet wil be capital vessels, and about half of those will be battlecruisers- so perhaps 250.000 dreadnoughts and main battle carriers in total.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

A quarter of the Fleet as capital ships is a huge amount.

The SKS maintained no more than 5% of her fleet as cruiser-tonnage or higher (inclusive of medium carriers and larger) at any given time.
Last edited by phongn on 2003-08-07 01:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:Personally, I think each side should be able to have about 40+ or so
important ships...
A much younger Galactic Empire could field a few million ships minimum (if you went by WEG) and hundreds of millions (if you used Marina's estimate).

Fielding a few million ships should not be of incredible difficulty.