Europa Universalis II

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Jut annexed Ak Koy-somethng, and I took two provinces(both with Fine Arts Academies) from the Huron. Susquehanna defected to the Iroquis, but their time is running down...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

That would be Ak Koyunlu or something like that. They were a rather powerful Turkish group who conquered much of Persia from the Timurids before the Persians revived themselves. Never happens in EU2, however :roll:

I wonder where those Fine Art Academies came from...they'd have to hunt a lot of fur for those. Don't forget to colonize the Siberian Corridor. Just hack a one-province wide path through the khanates in your way so you don't get that nasty revenue cut (don't bother conquering the khanates entirely, though, as everything past Astrakhan is worthless to you). Siberia has 3-4 gold provinces plus a ton of room to make some manpower numbers. Each province giving maybe .3 will add up.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

StarshipTitanic wrote:That would be Ak Koyunlu or something like that. They were a rather powerful Turkish group who conquered much of Persia from the Timurids before the Persians revived themselves. Never happens in EU2, however :roll:
I find that, a lot of the time, the Ottomans just take an ahistorically early interest in the countries to their East. I like being massive military powers rather than economic or diplomatic powerhouses, because you get to watch nations disintegrate in your wake.
I wonder where those Fine Art Academies came from...they'd have to hunt a lot of fur for those. Don't forget to colonize the Siberian Corridor. Just hack a one-province wide path through the khanates in your way so you don't get that nasty revenue cut (don't bother conquering the khanates entirely, though, as everything past Astrakhan is worthless to you). Siberia has 3-4 gold provinces plus a ton of room to make some manpower numbers. Each province giving maybe .3 will add up.
The hordes of Asia, so to speak. I never really played a Russian game. The early going is too hard, and I found the late game too much a case of "raise enormous steppe horde, smash German/Scandinavian army, lose steppe horde to repeated battles and attrition, repeat until favorable peace terms".
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

I find that, a lot of the time, the Ottomans just take an ahistorically early interest in the countries to their East. I like being massive military powers rather than economic or diplomatic powerhouses, because you get to watch nations disintegrate in your wake.
Lucky you, then. :( In my game as Bavaria (uniting all German provinces before any other territorial conquest) I successfully crushed Austria before the 1470s-80s, when they would have inherited a (then) monster Burgundy. Hungray then had pretty much what they started out plus Transylvania and Wallachia. A few years later, the Poles take a slice of northern territory off. A few years later...Turkey destroys their army and swiftly reaches my territory, annexing a swath of Hungarian territory. Now, after a few more wars, they're left with their capital, Magyar, and that's it. Their old ally, Bohemia, is down to Sudenten and Bohemia. The only territories I took off of both of them were Erz (Boh) and Odenburg (Hun). Of course it is due to my interference, but now the Ottomans are a huge Balkan machine! On their eastern front, their easternmost border is with Venice in that Orthodox Turk territory. I'm scared. :cry:
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

The hordes of Asia, so to speak. I never really played a Russian game. The early going is too hard, and I found the late game too much a case of "raise enormous steppe horde, smash German/Scandinavian army, lose steppe horde to repeated battles and attrition, repeat until favorable peace terms".
Heh; I haven't fought German or Scandinavian armies at all; mostly fighting the Turks and the Native Americans now(Carving my North American Empire out one tribe at a tim)

I did send back the Chinese messenger's head, though, so perhaps in the late game I'll try to bring civilization to the far east...
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Playing as Byzantium, I've annexed the Ottoman Empire through two wars, the Duchy of Athens is a vassal, as is Albania, Venice, Hungary. Bosnia, Transylvania(Siengeberger or somesuch country), Tremizoid, The Knights, Cyprus, Papal States, annexed. Took Crimea from Tuscany, Malta from Aragon, and I'm working around Austria.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

After rampaging through the game as Russia, I decided to play as the United States...

...and am doing quite well. All the originial 13 colonies are mine, as well as all of the Iroquis lands, all but one of the Cherokee and Creek lands, and, of course, I bought Lousiana. The West that I've explored is mostly colonial cities and I've even gotten some colonial cities going in Canada.

I've crushed the British in three consecutive wars now. I took Montreal, burned most of their forts, and generally humiliated them. The War of 1812 went well enough, with me even landing an invasion force in London, but then I got smacked with an utterly random Civil War event and re-loaded.

So now I'm at the brink of the War of 1812 will roughly 100K troops, some damn good leaders, and forty ships. I think I'll move into Canada and take the last possessions there, launch an attack on the Carribean, and finish up with an invasion of Great Britian itself...

I'm also fabously wealthy, have a monopoly in Tlaxacla, and get a huge chunk of the profits from most other CoT as well. Oh, and I have an AAR running about this game in the EUII forums, so go check it out, it's under the username 'CyBlack'
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I hate the damn forts, I've never took one province in the game yet. :P Nothing like HoI
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Everyone wants to unify Italy as the Neapolitans, eh Hemlock? :D
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Oh yeah. But I'm not aiming for just Itay. I'm going to kick Aragon's ass out of the Mediterrean and possibly launch an invasion of their homeland.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

It's 1495. I have vassaled the Tuscans afyer some forced diplomacy. *coughwarkickingtheirasscough* And I took Tusiania but Algiers is hard to conquer. I'd figure to defend Tusiania while taking the unguarded capital? Due to some serious ecenomic managment I can easily build loads of troops a year. But any recommendations on how to successfully colonize provinces? Send in colonists or traders first? Oh, I am Spain.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Hemlock, don't touch Rome. You must leave the Papal states with Rome or all Catholic countries get a casus belli against you. Just force-vassalize them and take their other territories.

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

That's what I was planning. Having everyone from the Holy Roman Empire to Spain to the frickin' Balkans attacking me is not something I relish.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

HemlockGrey wrote:That's what I was planning. Having everyone from the Holy Roman Empire to Spain to the frickin' Balkans attacking me is not something I relish.
That happens? :shock:

No wonder I became at war with half of Europe, playing as OE.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Update!

Took all of Sicily from Aragon. Kinda racked up some BB points, so I'm going to have to let them cool off. Currently gearing up for a diplovassalization of much of Italy.

Weird stuff, though. Byzantines seem to be on the upswing, and Navarre just got done bitchslapping Castille...
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

HemlockGrey wrote:Weird stuff, though. Byzantines seem to be on the upswing, and Navarre just got done bitchslapping Castille...
I was playing as Byzantine, actually annexed the Turks in 1520, Catalunya declared independance, so I allied with them and took the Two Sicilies.
Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Ted wrote:That happens? :shock:

No wonder I became at war with half of Europe, playing as OE.
Controlling Rome gives every Catholic power a permanent casus belli against you. Its easier when fighting the pope to just take all his extraneous provinces and force-vassalize him in Rome.
--The Lord Humungus
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Ted wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:Weird stuff, though. Byzantines seem to be on the upswing, and Navarre just got done bitchslapping Castille...
I was playing as Byzantine, actually annexed the Turks in 1520, Catalunya declared independance, so I allied with them and took the Two Sicilies.
You don't have the latest beta patch then, because the Turks almost without fail declare war by Jan 7th. It's sad.:(

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
Ted wrote:
You don't have the latest beta patch then, because the Turks almost without fail declare war by Jan 7th. It's sad.:(
Thats why you build up massively, as well, I found that giving a small gift to your ally at the begining would get them to side with you against the OE.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Well, after a long and bloody war, the House of Aragon has ceded to me, the Kingdom of Naples, all of Sicily. Now it is time to settle in, let the BB points cool off, and begin a long and bloody conquest of all of Italy...
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Ted, Trebizond is worthless. They get curb-stomped by Ak Koyonlu or Georgia or by any other neighbor quite early. Your best ally is Venice, who hates you, or even the Ottomans, who also hate you.

Did you only build cavalry armies? It's very powerful and your only way of cost-effectively destroying the initial Turkish hordes.

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Ted, Trebizond is worthless. They get curb-stomped by Ak Koyonlu or Georgia or by any other neighbor quite early. Your best ally is Venice, who hates you, or even the Ottomans, who also hate you.

Did you only build cavalry armies? It's very powerful and your only way of cost-effectively destroying the initial Turkish hordes.
I never built infantry, and the Roman Army in Thrace wiped out completely the Turkish armies sent against it.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Wow, you must have been very lucky then because 60k troops vs 24k doesn't usually fail.

Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Wow, you must have been very lucky then because 60k troops vs 24k doesn't usually fail.
I had a bit more, I did recruit mercenaries when the Turks declared war on me.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Hmm... the Papal States is currently part of an alliance including Tuscany and Bologne, and they all field armies much larger than mine. Of course, I'm allied with Savoy, Modena, and Genoa, so this should even things out a bit. I'll have to put down the last vestiges of rebellion in the newly-conquered Sicilian provinces, of course.

I'm thinking, build up my forces now. Then, go to war with the Papal States and force them to cede Marche and maybe a few ducats. Bologne will be bought out of the war ASAP, as I can't vassalize them and they're not very rich. Tuscany *may* be able to be bought out of the war, but since I have good relations and a royal marriage with them I'm hoping they'll dishonor the alliance, which will free them up to join *my* alliance. If not, I'll try and force-vassalize them. Force-vassalization for the Pope, too, if I do well.

After that, I'm not sure. I could try taking on the Venetian-Ragusian alliance, but they have three times as many soldiers as I do and ten times the fleet. Besides, the only real thing I could get out of a war with Venice would be Mantua; their superior fleet will prevent me from taking their islands and all the islands are Greek and Orthodox anyway. However, there's still Aragon-controlled Sardinia and Malta for Mediterranean expansion. If the Turks can get their ass in gear and conquer the Mamelukes by the time the Holy League rolls around, I'll have a perfect excuse to seize Alexandria and that beautiful, beautiful Center of Trade. I doubt it, though, as they just got smacked around by Byzantium, Candar, Karaman, and Trebizond, although not all at the same time.

But, you know, I've already made one unprovoked declaration of war, and I doubt any of my allies will lose any sleep over the fate of the Moslem barbarians.

I'm going to try for diplovassalization of my allies as time wears on, and then gradual diploannexation. Of course, all of Naples' monarchs suck, so this might be difficult. And of course I'm going to remain independent of Aragon; I just got done smacking them around, like hell I'm going to become their vassal state.

In other news, Navarre bitchslapping Castille, Aragon, and the Aquitane is a supremely amusing sight.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses