Russian Orthodox Church wants Ivan the Terrible a Saint

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ted
BANNED

Russian Orthodox Church wants Ivan the Terrible a Saint

Post by Ted »

As well, Rasputin.

My thought to that is why not make Hitler a saint. Saint Adolf the Bohemian Corporal. :lol:

What is the reason for the Orthodox Church to make Ivan a saint? Lunacy? Idiocy?
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

By all accounts, he was extremely pious. Add that to the fact he killed a lot of Tartars, and they might be willing to overlook the whole terror and killing and madness bit.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sounds like the Church to me.

Fucking Rasputin? That lecherous wierdo who JUST-WOULDN'T-DIE?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Heh. Doesn't that whole "I'm invincible" routine qualify as miraculous?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

didn't Rasputin fuck like 40 whores in one night? what a good christian!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I thought Rasputin had been excommunicated way back when?

Where is this news from, anyway? How about a source?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

This runs into the Peter the Great/the Terrible argument. In Russia, "the Terrible" doesn't exactly translate the way it does here. The word can have a less negative connotation (if that makes any sense), along the lines of "the Crafty" or "the Intimidating." For certain Russian nationalists and members of the conservative aristocracy or Church, Peter and Ivan were indeed heros.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I thought Ivan Grozny butchered a bunch of the church's leaders in Novgorod, why would that qualify him? "Blessed Ivan, Christian Killer"????
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

It's not really that strange, you know. Vlad fucking Tepes is a Romanian national hero, and he killed tens of thousands of his own people! (Probably more, relative to the population, than Ivan did.)
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

That's because Vlad was a very successful miltary leader against the Ottoman Turks, who were trying to conquer that area. It's the whole "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Vympel wrote:Sounds like the Church to me.

Fucking Rasputin? That lecherous wierdo who JUST-WOULDN'T-DIE?
It was one of those "we need a steam roller fast" situations.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Andrew J. wrote:It's not really that strange, you know. Vlad fucking Tepes is a Romanian national hero, and he killed tens of thousands of his own people! (Probably more, relative to the population, than Ivan did.)
IIRC he was made a national hero mainly to attract tourists, especially the vampire crowd.
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

I read it in a magazine, I think it mighht have been one of my mother's Royalty magazine's, though I did hear it somewhere else.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

As I recall, there's a minority movement in the Russian church that's been pushing to canonize Rasputin for some time now. Nothing has ever come of it (he's widely considered a downright heretic, and canonizing him would only damage the Russian church) and I seriously doubt that anything ever will.

What's up with all the me-tooism, anyway? I thought that, going by the principles of skeptcisim, we're supposed to make sure that the news is from a valid, verified source?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Anyone got any info on the real Rapsutin? According to my only source, after overthrowing the wise and powerful czar he was sentenced to Limbo, until the lost Russian princess reclaimed the throne. I think she blew him up with fireworks or something.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Andrew J. wrote:It's not really that strange, you know. Vlad fucking Tepes is a Romanian national hero, and he killed tens of thousands of his own people! (Probably more, relative to the population, than Ivan did.)
Then again, he also brings a good amount of tourist revenue to the country....
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

HemlockGrey wrote:Anyone got any info on the real Rapsutin? According to my only source, after overthrowing the wise and powerful czar he was sentenced to Limbo, until the lost Russian princess reclaimed the throne. I think she blew him up with fireworks or something.
Here's the basic scoop from what I remember on this guy: He came as a healer, proclaiming he could treat Czarina Alexandra's son Alexis' hemophelia. Aparently, he had some effect on the kid, as it was claimed that he had less trouble with it. He also phrophecized to Alexandra that should he be killed or sent away, the Czar and family would fall.

About the guy's personal habits, well, he never bathed, ate and drank copiously, had many sexual relations, and was allowed free reign by the Czarina. I have heard of one such an example of his poor manners where he once walked into a dinner and proceeded to eat soup straight from another person's bowl with his bare hands.

There were a few who thought that he was gaining too much power, and so they devised a plan to assasinate him. They lured him to the Yussupov Palace and fed him either poisoned cakes or wine, which he consumed in mass amounts. However, after some time, it became aparent that the poison had no effect on him (there has been speculation that the strength of his stomach acid as a result of his legendary drinking may have rendered the cyanide harmless.) So, then Prince Felix Yussupov shot Rasputin at point blank range several times, and he fell to the floor. After a few moments, one of them kneeled over Rasputin to check to make sure he was dead, and as it turned out, he was not, as he grabbed the examiner by the throat and began to strangle him. After beating and shooting him some more, they dumped him in the river, which was what actually killed him.

Took a few things from here:
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~pbarry/ras2/
but most was from what I remembered, so there could be a few minor errors.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Well, some asren't sure about the swets. He was supposed be fasting nd did not eat the sweets. Theres no way to be sure as he murders won't implicate themselves.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Rubberanvil wrote:
IIRC he was made a national hero mainly to attract tourists, especially the vampire crowd.
Bullshit.

A friend of mine, 1/4 Romanian on his paternal grandfather's side, said that Vlad Tepes is a hero because he scared the Turks so much that they went away and never came back.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Iceberg wrote: A friend of mine, 1/4 Romanian on his paternal grandfather's side, said that Vlad Tepes is a hero because he scared the Turks so much that they went away and never came back.

His history's pretty hazy then, since the Turks did come back, and by 1530 had conquered what is now Romania, including Vlad's princedom of Wallachia.

This is "folk history", and like folk history often is, it incorporates as much fiction, prejudice and wishful thinking as fact. In Northern Ireland, for example, you will find people who swear up and down that in the rising of 1641 "conservative estmimates" have as many 100,000 protestants killed by catholics. Resposnible historians will tell you there weren't even nearly that many protestants in Ireland in 1641. "Ulster Patriots" will tell you that upwards of 1,000 men, women, and children were marched off the bridge at Portadown to drown in the river Bann (the actual figure is around 100, and most of those who perished in the seige of Portadown died of hunger and cold, not the sword). It's propaganda that got incorporated into folk memory as history. None of this stops these huge figures from being believed and quoted as gospel truth by large numbers of people. This sort of thing happens in every country.

This story of Vlad scaring the Turks back into their own borders is the same sort of folk history nonsense.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Russian Orthodox Church wants Ivan the Terrible a Saint

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Ted wrote:What is the reason for the Orthodox Church to make Ivan a saint? Lunacy? Idiocy?
This is the same Orthodox Church who wants democracy abolished. Go figure.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

Vlad. A bio of Vlad Tepes.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

It's true that Vlad stopped Turkish invasions during his reign, and I don't think the fact that Romania was conquered afterwards should reflect poorly on him.

The story goes that as a Turkish army approched Tirgoviste they saw "the forest of the impaled"-thousands upon thousands of people slowly rotting away on giant stakes around the city. The Turks ran away toot sweet, or so the story goes.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I could see making Rasputin a saint, according to what we learned in Modern History, pretty much all he did was get wasted and get it on with whoever was close.

Not to mention his 12"+ dick
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Tosho wrote:Vlad. A bio of Vlad Tepes.
A man who killed all the poor in a fire and explaining it with "I did it so nobody would be poor"??? No wonder he has the same given name as Lenin.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"