dual booting windows XP (home edition) and Linux

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Shrykull
Jedi Master

dual booting windows XP (home edition) and Linux

Post by Shrykull »

How exactly do you do this? I heard there are problems doing it that Windows XP (and microsoft just don't like Linux, and don't get along with it) As far as partitioning goes, I guess when I first get my new system I'll use FDISK to set the partitions, but how exactly do you tell the computer that you want this operating system on this partition, and that operating system or that partition, and you have to set the MSDOS sys multiboot command don't you. I remember reading that Mike has three OS's installed on his computer a while back, He hates windows but needs it because so many programs are only available on it. I've never used to Linux before but I want to start exploring seeing what it's like, can anyone recommend a good version, and a good book to buy to learn about it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There should be a few FAQs or HOWTOs on the 'net if you search around. LILO and NTLOADER can peacefully coexist.

Another possibility is to use a bootloader such as XOSL - I used it long ago to boot between Windows NT 4, Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux
BlueExcalibur
Redshirt

Post by BlueExcalibur »

Most versions of Linux come with a bootloader called Lilo. This would be done automatically by it just adding all your other bootable partitions during the install.
"I have all the answers, but I never said they were right."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I did this about a week ago. I found that if you install XP before Linux theres no problem, linux has Lilo (or Grub) do the boot selection. If you've installed linux THEN XP you need to pop the linux disc in the cd drive again and this time instead of installing choose upgrade.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I always thought NT just nuked Linux partions on the Hard Drive.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Nope your thinking of 95(Thats NOT a fun system to dual boot with anythign)
98 Orgional did the same thing occisonaly but SE and XP fixed the problems

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

kojikun wrote:I did this about a week ago. I found that if you install XP before Linux theres no problem, linux has Lilo (or Grub) do the boot selection. If you've installed linux THEN XP you need to pop the linux disc in the cd drive again and this time instead of installing choose upgrade.
You can use NTLOADER to boot instead if you want.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

I'm running Winblows XP right now and the only dual-booting its going to get are my feet kicking the CPU tower.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Mr Bean wrote:Nope your thinking of 95(Thats NOT a fun system to dual boot with anythign)
98 Orgional did the same thing occisonaly but SE and XP fixed the problems
No, 95/98 Original & SE did not nuke the system partitions. All it did was overwrite the MBR, which can be fixed if you have a Linux bootdisk.

If you have to partition a blank drive and you have Mandrake 8.1/8.2, just use DiskDrake. It works far better than FDISK. (I had a strange situation with my 60GB drive where DOS partitions beyond D: would inexplicably vanish. The problem was rectified when I used DiskDrake to create the partitions (although I still can't see them in real-mode DOS...)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF