Need Help: Comanche 3 on Windows XP

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Need Help: Comanche 3 on Windows XP

Post by Guest »

I recently tried Comanche 3 (a trully classic, if you will) on my IBM R32 Laptop using Windows XP, and guess what, the game didn't even install under XP. I have changed the compatibility mode to Win 95 and it didn't help. As last resort, I copied the whole CD to a folder, use DOS command SUSBT to assign a drive letter to that particular folder, then modified all memory settings of the installation executable (cannot be done from CD since windows said the file is read only so memory settings cannot be modified), yet it didn't help either.

Could someone help me?

PS: Microsoft sucks (duh)
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Strange it installed just fine for me.

Sure you have admin rights on the laptop?
Is the game legit?

Subst don't fool any game under xp.

PS: If microsoft sux why use it?
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

you can post as a guest? how long has that been enabled?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Col. Crackpot:

Frankly, I didn't realize that either. I just posted without noticing that the site didn't ask for logon.

Faram:

Comanche 3 worked? The game is completely legit, either. I have to admit that in Indonesia, it's so hard to find legitimate games. A sad fact, because pirated games come with no manual at all (real pain when you're a sim freak). But my Comanche 3 is legit. I bought it some years ago in a store that sold legit, fully boxed games (it's already out of business now. :( )

I do have admin rights on my laptop.

When I clicked INSTALL.EXE, the screen went black for a while, then it went back to my desktop. When I executed it in command prompt, all I've got was:

D:>INSTALL

D:>

Yup, the installer went back to the OS without doing anything.

Did you use Win95 compatibility mode? My WinXP Home came preinstalled with my IBM R32 laptop. Should I reinstall? I have standard MS Office, IBM Utilities, MS SQL Server, Visual Studio 6.0, Norton Antivirus 2002, and Oracle DB Server Personal Edition. I've stopped *every* services before installing, still it didn't work.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Ehh :blush:

I am gona sit in my corener and shut up.

I have Commance 4....

Sorry
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Jedi Council Member

Faram wrote:I have Commance 4....
No wonder. I ain't got no trouble with Comanche 4 either. Still, Comanche 3 plays better.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Looks like even the WXP virtual machine can't load it up. I can't see any instructions on how to do it online...
Jedi Council Member

phongn wrote:Looks like even the WXP virtual machine can't load it up. I can't see any instructions on how to do it online...
I've been searching for the solution in the internet ad nauseam, and found nothing. WinXP's a bitch.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
phongn wrote:Looks like even the WXP virtual machine can't load it up. I can't see any instructions on how to do it online...
I've been searching for the solution in the internet ad nauseam, and found nothing. WinXP's a bitch.
Strange, since XP has the best VDM of all of the NT OS's.