Meanwhile.......

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Meanwhile.......

Post by MKSheppard »

Over 1,000 people were slaughtered in the past week in villages all across
Congo. And the UN has no fucking idea who the fuck did it...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

NEVER FEAR! The great forces of liberty and democracy shall come and rescue these poor souls. *aide whispers in Shrubs ear* Errr, sorry, ignore all that, apparently they don't have any oil. Nevermind.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Meanwhile.......

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:Over 1,000 people were slaughtered in the past week in villages all across
Probably because its been happening since 1960.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

It was obviously Iran and Syria that did it! ATTACK!
:D
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

weemadando wrote:NEVER FEAR! The great forces of liberty and democracy shall come and rescue these poor souls. *aide whispers in Shrubs ear* Errr, sorry, ignore all that, apparently they don't have any oil. Nevermind.
Actually it does foolish one
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
weemadando wrote:NEVER FEAR! The great forces of liberty and democracy shall come and rescue these poor souls. *aide whispers in Shrubs ear* Errr, sorry, ignore all that, apparently they don't have any oil. Nevermind.
Fine, then I'll use the Oepidus complex defense.

There is no precedent in the Congo. No need for Dubya to prove anything to his father.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That and the US has no viable area to stage from, we've alreayd worn out any international welcome we'd recieve, and well yeah the oil thing too. that plus none of those nations ever actually threatened the US IIRC.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Next year at the box office:

Gulf War 3

Congo War: The phantom menace
:D
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Darth Fanboy wrote:That and the US has no viable area to stage from, we've alreayd worn out any international welcome we'd recieve, and well yeah the oil thing too. that plus none of those nations ever actually threatened the US IIRC.
So what? The US is policing the Middle East, why not police the REST of the globe like it is our "responsibility" to do? Hell, if there are wrongs being done in the Congo, the US should intervene, it being the world's largest superpower... Right??
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Fanboy wrote:That and the US has no viable area to stage from, we've alreayd worn out any international welcome we'd recieve, and well yeah the oil thing too. that plus none of those nations ever actually threatened the US IIRC.
No viable area to stage from??!?!

Wasp Class Amphibious Assault Ships (LHD)

1,870 Marines ready to Kick ass and take names
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Ah yes, the Congo where they've been butchering each other with relish for the better part of human history. If we could actually do any good, unlike Iraq, we might well go in. The problem is there's no possible way we could salvage the situation in Africa.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

weemadando wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:
Fine, then I'll use the Oepidus complex defense.

There is no precedent in the Congo. No need for Dubya to prove anything to his father.
Actually there is a precedent as well.

Thank you for shooting your anti invasion bullshit in the foot again.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

the Belgians fucked things up in the Congo, let them fix it.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Queeb Salaron wrote:[
So what? The US is policing the Middle East, why not police the REST of the globe like it is our "responsibility" to do? Hell, if there are wrongs being done in the Congo, the US should intervene, it being the world's largest superpower... Right??
Perhaps when they become a threat or have some benefit to us.

It was Clinton who wanted us to be the world's policeman. There was absolutely no reason for the US to be in Somalia other than to play international cop. We have a lot more reasons for being in Iraq and they aren't all oil and money.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Queeb Salaron wrote:...why not police the REST of the globe like it is our "responsibility" to do? Hell, if there are wrongs being done in the Congo, the US should intervene, it being the world's largest superpower... Right??
Yes, I believe this is indeed a compelling reason to go into Yugoslavia to stop... oh.. nevermind...

You do realize that was precisely the left's battle cry for ousting Slobo the Clown.... Not to say that you personally supported that, but it came from the same political field that is now againt this war....
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Coyote wrote:You do realize that was precisely the left's battle cry for ousting Slobo the Clown.... Not to say that you personally supported that, but it came from the same political field that is now againt this war....
Indeed. MORE hypocrisy from the left in the public forum.

What ever happened to Slobodon Milosivech?

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Glocksman wrote:the Belgians fucked things up in the Congo, let them fix it.

The Congo fucked its self. The UN for once managed to settle things down without the US doing all the work, though it did help out Belgium earlier. But once the UN forces left a what had been an attempt by a few provinces to succeeded became a general guerrilla civil war of sorts that has never ended.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

War crimes tribunals a la Nuremburg, Chief Justice Carla duPont presiding (I think that's her name, I may be mistaken).
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Queeb Salaron wrote:What ever happened to Slobodon Milosivech?
Wasting away in the Hague, if I recall.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Queeb Salaron wrote: So what? The US is policing the Middle East, why not police the REST of the globe like it is our "responsibility" to do? Hell, if there are wrongs being done in the Congo, the US should intervene, it being the world's largest superpower... Right??
The US should intervene in such things when something can be realistically accomplished. Nothing could be accomplished by US troops in the Congo.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Reminds me, have any of you guys seen Tears of the Sun? Fine movie IMHO
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The US should intervene in such things when something can be realistically accomplished. Nothing could be accomplished by US troops in the Congo.
By that do you mean that there's nothing for the US to gain by interfering? Because that seems to be the MO for a lot of foreign conflict involving the US.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Queeb Salaron wrote: By that do you mean that there's nothing for the US to gain by interfering? Because that seems to be the MO for a lot of foreign conflict involving the US.
No, I mean sending 10, 20, 50 or 300 thousand American troops won't end the current fighting while reigniting a full scale civil war that has actually been in a period of relative calm.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Queeb Salaron wrote:By that do you mean that there's nothing for the US to gain by interfering? Because that seems to be the MO for a lot of foreign conflict involving the US.
You really don't get it. The US wouldn't be able to stop the fighting and is unlikely to do anything but extremely short term good and a lot of long term damage. All that a theoretical US intervention would do is to put our boys on the firing range for both sides with stopping anything. We'd simply restart and intensify an already nasty civil war for nothing.

While it would hardly be immoral to intervene it would be to no appreciable improvement in the situation. This is simply a case where an intervention would cost far more lives than would be saved and to no worthwhile end.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Re: Meanwhile.......

Post by Warspite »

MKSheppard wrote:Over 1,000 people were slaughtered in the past week in villages all across
You've sumarised the history of most of Africa. I'd say its normal those things, can anybody say Idi Amin?
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking