Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Sisko
Redshirt

Re: Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

Post by The Sisko »

I'm familiar with Mitch and Webb. I'm not familiar with Israeli concentration camps and organized industrial level state-sanctioned Genocide. Which is not to suggest that there is no Genocide in Israel. And nor does my calling out the fact that you compared the Israelis to the SS suggest that I view one as a bigger issue than the other. The opportunity for me to stop Israel from committing genocide does not exist, the opportunity does exist for me to point out that it is not only beyond the pale but actually anti-semitic to compare the Israelis the the organization created to destroy all Jews on earth.

Of all the memes in the world depicting people realizing their mistakes, you chose one with the SS. That was no accident and you know it.

EDIT: Hell, this being a Star Wars site, why not just use a picture of a fictional stormtrooper instead of a depiction of Stormtroopers who actually existed and committed murder by the millions?

EDITS by the numbers: https://fathomjournal.org/holocaust-inv ... isemitism/ <--- This is what you're doing. Stop it.
Anyway, here's Wonderwall
Ralin wrote:Soft Holocaust Denial isn't Holocaust Denial.
3-Body Problem
Youngling

Re: Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

Post by 3-Body Problem »

The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 02:22am I'm familiar with Mitch and Webb. I'm not familiar with Israeli concentration camps and organized industrial level state-sanctioned Genocide. Which is not to suggest that there is no Genocide in Israel. And nor does my calling out the fact that you compared the Israelis to the SS suggest that I view one as a bigger issue than the other. The opportunity for me to stop Israel from committing genocide does not exist, the opportunity does exist for me to point out that it is not only beyond the pale but actually anti-semitic to compare the Israelis the the organization created to destroy all Jews on earth.

Of all the memes in the world depicting people realizing their mistakes, you chose one with the SS. That was no accident and you know it.

EDIT: Hell, this being a Star Wars site, why not just use a picture of a fictional stormtrooper instead of a depiction of Stormtroopers who actually existed and committed murder by the millions?

EDITS by the numbers: https://fathomjournal.org/holocaust-inv ... isemitism/ <--- This is what you're doing. Stop it.
You don't need camps for a state sanctioned genocide. It could be argued that Israel keeping goods needed for building out of Palestine and thus keeping it in poverty was already a genocide. Toss on what's happening now that things have boiled over and no amount of crocodile tears will save Zionists from being painted with the same brush as Nazis.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Comparing the genocide being committed by the racist Jewish supremacist to the genocide committed against (other) Jews by the Nazi German supremacist state is antisemitic because... This Lesley Klaff person says so?
Comparing Israel and the Nazi regime, David Ward said, ‘don’t forget, long before the death camps were set up, the treatment of the Jews in … Nazi Germany was racist … nastiness and harassment to begin with, and then escalated. And when you look at it – wherever it may be – the West Bank, and a declared intent by the Israeli forces to harass, often just annoy Palestinians – in terms of a check point that will be open on certain days, and then it will be open but at a later time, and the next day, it will open slightly earlier, so you get there and it’s been shut again … really just to harass, in many cases to move the Palestinians from land, to just give up and move on…’
The Israeli government and its supporters are doing a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT MORE than just harassing and annoying Palestinians and have them for awhile. It is really fucking disingenuous to minimize the issue that way.

To wit
there is absolutely no equivalence betweenthat and the denial of paid work, Jew-baiting, herding into ghettos, incarceration, disease and starvation in labour camps that occurred in Germany and Eastern Europe between 1933 and the Holocaust. Not only is there no historical equivalence between the two; there is no moral equivalence either.
Exactly what part of that other than the labor camps do you contend the Israeli government has not done so far?
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

3-Body Problem wrote: 2024-05-25 03:15am
The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 02:22am I'm familiar with Mitch and Webb. I'm not familiar with Israeli concentration camps and organized industrial level state-sanctioned Genocide. Which is not to suggest that there is no Genocide in Israel. And nor does my calling out the fact that you compared the Israelis to the SS suggest that I view one as a bigger issue than the other. The opportunity for me to stop Israel from committing genocide does not exist, the opportunity does exist for me to point out that it is not only beyond the pale but actually anti-semitic to compare the Israelis the the organization created to destroy all Jews on earth.

You don't need camps for a state sanctioned genocide.
You do for The Holocaust.
It could be argued that Israel keeping goods needed for building out of Palestine and thus keeping it in poverty was already a genocide.
A genocide, yes. The Holocaust, no.
Toss on what's happening now that things have boiled over and no amount of crocodile tears will save Zionists from being painted with the same brush as Nazis.
It's a bullshit historically inaccurate comparison that takes everything Germany did to the Jews and makes it seem trivial. It's also blatantly false, anti-semitic, and adds nothing of value to the conversation unless you're 14 and think this is a super deep thought. Naw man, it's like, those fucking Jews who are the Nazis now. *drags joint* What the fuck man? Why do discussions on this site feel the need to always invoke Adolf Hitler?

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 03:26am Comparing the genocide being committed by the racist Jewish supremacist to the genocide committed against (other) Jews by the Nazi German supremacist state is antisemitic because... This Lesley Klaff person says so?
No, because there is no historical or moral equivalency here. But sure, if you're the type of person who only believes what you've been told and doesn't think about anything, I guess you could take that away. If that's how you work, let this be the last article you read today, so your mind isn't awash with more soft-core Holocaust denial (which inversion is).
Antisemitism Defined wrote:Any alleged wrongdoings on Israel’s part cannot be compared to Nazi crimes during the Holocaust. The Israeli–Palestinian conflict is a territorial and political one, whereas the Holocaust was the attempt to systematically annihilate European Jewry. Despite the unfortunate outbreak of violence during the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, the Palestinian population has grown by all metrics, and is projected to continue doing so. To compare this to the murder of millions of Jews during the Holocaust is preposterous and diminishes the pain of those who have suffered during the conflict.
https://www.worldjewishcongress.org/en/ ... ntisemitic

Their population may not be growing now, but to call this a second Holocaust? Completely absurd, factually inaccurate, bereft of understanding of what the Holocaust actually was, what it represents to Jews and what it means when you tell people you think Jews are the new Nazis. Again, no one is defending the actions of Israel, but they are not committing Nazi-level genocide, and the insistence that they are somehow equivalent is an anti-semitic lie that turns victims of the greatest attack on any people in History into the monsters that tried to kill them, and it needs to stop.

Comparing Israel and the Nazi regime, David Ward said, ‘don’t forget, long before the death camps were set up, the treatment of the Jews in … Nazi Germany was racist … nastiness and harassment to begin with, and then escalated. And when you look at it – wherever it may be – the West Bank, and a declared intent by the Israeli forces to harass, often just annoy Palestinians – in terms of a check point that will be open on certain days, and then it will be open but at a later time, and the next day, it will open slightly earlier, so you get there and it’s been shut again … really just to harass, in many cases to move the Palestinians from land, to just give up and move on…’
The Israeli government and its supporters are doing a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT MORE than just harassing and annoying Palestinians and have them for awhile. It is really fucking disingenuous to minimize the issue that way.

To wit
there is absolutely no equivalence betweenthat and the denial of paid work, Jew-baiting, herding into ghettos, incarceration, disease and starvation in labour camps that occurred in Germany and Eastern Europe between 1933 and the Holocaust. Not only is there no historical equivalence between the two; there is no moral equivalence either.
Exactly what part of that other than the labor camps do you contend the Israeli government has not done so far?
No, I don't have to do that. The people insisting that Israel is committing Nazi-style Holocaust-copying Genocide have a burden of proof to prove their claims as they always have.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

It's a bullshit historically inaccurate comparison that takes everything Germany did to the Jews and makes it seem trivial. It's also blatantly false, anti-semitic, and adds nothing of value to the conversation unless you're 14 and think this is a super deep thought. Naw man, it's like, those fucking Jews who are the Nazis now. *drags joint* What the fuck man? Why do discussions on this site feel the need to always invoke Adolf Hitler?
Bub, you're the one being butthurt about this. Have you considered that you are the one trying to trivialize what has been happening to the Palestinian people for the past 80+ years?

Frankly, given all the things that has happened to the Palestinians, I would not be surprised at all if the Israeli government wanted to deploy gas chambers, but the sheer fucking irony and hypocrisy would be too much.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2024-05-25 03:02pm
Bub, you're the one being butthurt about this. Have you considered that you are the one trying to trivialize what has been happening to the Palestinian people for the past 80+ years?

Frankly, given all the things that has happened to the Palestinians, I would not be surprised at all if the Israeli government wanted to deploy gas chambers, but the sheer fucking irony and hypocrisy would be too much.
Fine, keep your SS memes in the thread about Israel if it's so important to you, but it's gross, stupid, trivializes the Holocaust and adds absolutely nothing of substance. I've said what I think is wrong with it and you don't agree, and that's where the discussion must end. Saying that the Holocaust is not the same as what Israel has done in no way trivializes the harm Israel has done, as I've repeatedly emphasized to your willful ignorance in my posts. Tschuss.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 03:23pm
Soontir C'boath wrote: 2024-05-25 03:02pm

Fine, keep your SS memes in the thread about Israel if it's so important to you, but it's gross, stupid, trivializes the Holocaust and adds absolutely nothing of substance. I've said what I think is wrong with it and you don't agree, and that's where the discussion must end. Saying that the Holocaust is not the same as what Israel has done in no way trivializes the harm Israel has done, as I've repeatedly emphasized to your willful ignorance in my posts. Tschuss.
The only people who are trivializing the holocaust are people like you and the Israeli government.

All that death, pain and suffering only to inflict it on another Semitic people for over 80+ years is absolutely disappointing to say the least.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 02:19pm No, because there is no historical or moral equivalency here
It is absolutely comparable. It is a genocide on a massive scale. The fact that they aren't specifically using gas chambers doesn't change that.
But sure, if you're the type of person who only believes what you've been told and doesn't think about anything, I guess you could take that away.
"Haha, wake up sheeple!"
so your mind isn't awash with more soft-core Holocaust denial (which inversion is).
Soft Holocaust denial isn't Holocaust denial. The fact that a subset of Jews (and Zionists) are determined to pretend that any comparison between the Holocaust and other genocides is antisemitic by virtue of making the Holocaust less special in the process (which by itself erases millions of Polish, Roma, etc victims of the Nazi death camps) does not obligate me or anyone else to buy into it
Their population may not be growing now, but to call this a second Holocaust? Completely absurd, factually inaccurate, bereft of understanding of what the Holocaust actually was, what it represents to Jews and what it means when you tell people you think Jews are the new Nazis. Again, no one is defending the actions of Israel, but they are not committing Nazi-level genocide, and the insistence that they are somehow equivalent is an anti-semitic lie that turns victims of the greatest attack on any people in History into the monsters that tried to kill them, and it needs to stop.
1) Bitch you literally just posted a quote denying that the Palestinians are being genocided.

2) No one here has claimed that the Jews are the new Nazis. Neither Zionists nor Israelis are synonymous with the Jews.

3) The use of 'holocaust' to describe mass murder and genocide predates the Nazi Holocaust.
No, I don't have to do that. The people insisting that Israel is committing Nazi-style Holocaust-copying Genocide have a burden of proof to prove their claims as they always have
Already have you lying little shit. DR5. Answer the question.
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 08:55pm
The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 02:19pm No, because there is no historical or moral equivalency here
It is absolutely comparable. It is a genocide on a massive scale. The fact that they aren't specifically using gas chambers doesn't change that.
Genocide, yes. Nazi-style Genocide, no. The end-all be-all of the Holocaust wasn't simply that a bunch of Jews got gassed. This should not have to be spelled out for you.
Ralin wrote:
so your mind isn't awash with more soft-core Holocaust denial (which inversion is).
Soft Holocaust denial isn't Holocaust denial.
Thanks for the signature quote, buddy.
Ralin wrote:The fact that a subset of Jews (and Zionists) are determined to pretend that any comparison between the Holocaust and other genocides is antisemitic by virtue of making the Holocaust less special in the process (which by itself erases millions of Polish, Roma, etc victims of the Nazi death camps)
This ignores that the principal target of the Holocaust was the Jews - again, downplaying the Holocaust.
Ralin wrote:
1) Bitch you literally just posted a quote denying that the Palestinians are being genocided.
Angry Holocaust Denier is Angry. Where? What? You did read the age of the article I quoted, right? This concept of Holocaust inversion pre-dates the Oct. 7th attack. Of course they're being genocided. Nazi-style? Nope.
Ralin wrote:2) No one here has claimed that the Jews are the new Nazis. Neither Zionists nor Israelis are synonymous with the Jews.
I'll admit that's a pretty bad habit that does nothing to help the conversation. But remember, this started because somebody posted a meme of the fucking SS and compared Israeli policy to Nazi policy. If the intent wasn't to suggest that Israel are behaving as Nazis, what was?
Ralin wrote:3) The use of 'holocaust' to describe mass murder and genocide predates the Nazi Holocaust.
And the Swastika is a hindu and Japanese symbol of peace. That pre-dates the Holocaust. Clearly, I can compare people with Swastikas on their flags to Buddhist monks.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 10:26pm *trolling bullshit*
Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 08:55pm DR5. Answer the question.
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 10:46pm
The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 10:26pm *trolling bullshit*
Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 08:55pm DR5. Answer the question.
You first man. You clearly don't understand The Holocaust but insist on mentioning it for some reason. Where in this thread did you ever present evidence that the Israelis are behaving in the same way as the Nazis during The Holocaust? I will only respond to DR5 when you do. I actually am really asking for your help here, 'cuz I'm not sure which post full of softcore Holocaust denial is the one you want me to respond to. Where is your proof? Where did you prove what you said?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 03:26am
I request moderator review for The Sisko's blatant trolling and violation of DR5. As someone who agrees that the Holocaust is a real thing that happened I especially take deep offense at being called a Holocaust denier and would argue that sort of dishonesty is itself a violation of board rules.
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 11:15pm
I request moderator review for The Sisko's blatant trolling and violation of DR5. As someone who agrees that the Holocaust is a real thing that happened I especially take deep offense at being called a Holocaust denier and would argue that sort of dishonesty is itself a violation of board rules.
Dude, how can I debate someone who makes no concrete claims and refuses to even cite them when asked and instead immediately cries about being called out for admitting that they engaged in soft-core Holocaust denial? Blatant trolling? Let the games begin then. Let's take children for instance.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/04/09/gaz ... y-children

"Gaza’s Health Ministry reported as of April 1, that 32 people, including 28 children, had died of malnutrition and dehydration at hospitals in northern Gaza. Save the Children confirmed on April 2 the deaths from starvation and disease of 27 children. Earlier in March, World Health Organisation (WHO) officials found “children dying of starvation” in northern Gaza’s Kamal Adwan and al-Awda hospitals. In southern Gaza, where aid is more accessible but still grossly inadequate, UN agencies in mid-February said that 5 percent of children under age 2 were found to be acutely malnourished."

Right, so let's check in on Auschwitz.

https://www.mp.pl/auschwitz/journal/eng ... -auschwitz

" The children of Auschwitz concentration camp have to be divided into four groups:

Children burned to death immediately on arrival.
Children killed in their mothers’ wombs or as soon as they were born.
Children born in the camp and allowed to live.
Children deported to the camp as prisoners.

1. Transports to Auschwitz included between ten and twenty children who were murdered immediately on arrival. If a mother had a child in her arms during the selection, both were sent to the crematorium even if the mother was young and looked healthy. If a grandmother carried her grandchild, she was sent to the gas, while the child’s mother became a camp prisoner. "

So the Nazis killed 20 children a day, immediately upon Arrival. The "Holocaust" of Palestinian children resulted in 30 children starving to death over, 6 months of war.

Your turn.

EDIT: My comparison actually sucks really bad, because you'll note the Nazis fucking burned the children alive. Not starved them to death. I'm sure that number in incomparably higher.

Do you get it yet?
The Sisko
Redshirt

Post by The Sisko »

The Sisko wrote: 2024-05-25 11:18pm
Ralin wrote: 2024-05-25 11:15pm

Dude, how can I debate someone who makes no concrete claims and refuses to even cite them when asked and instead immediately cries about being called out for admitting that they engaged in soft-core Holocaust denial? Blatant trolling? Let the games begin then. Let's take children for instance.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/04/09/gaz ... y-children

"Gaza’s Health Ministry reported as of April 1, that 32 people, including 28 children, had died of malnutrition and dehydration at hospitals in northern Gaza. Save the Children confirmed on April 2 the deaths from starvation and disease of 27 children. Earlier in March, World Health Organisation (WHO) officials found “children dying of starvation” in northern Gaza’s Kamal Adwan and al-Awda hospitals. In southern Gaza, where aid is more accessible but still grossly inadequate, UN agencies in mid-February said that 5 percent of children under age 2 were found to be acutely malnourished."

Right, so let's check in on Auschwitz.

https://www.mp.pl/auschwitz/journal/eng ... -auschwitz

" The children of Auschwitz concentration camp have to be divided into four groups:

Children burned to death immediately on arrival.
Children killed in their mothers’ wombs or as soon as they were born.
Children born in the camp and allowed to live.
Children deported to the camp as prisoners.

1. Transports to Auschwitz included between ten and twenty children who were murdered immediately on arrival. If a mother had a child in her arms during the selection, both were sent to the crematorium even if the mother was young and looked healthy. If a grandmother carried her grandchild, she was sent to the gas, while the child’s mother became a camp prisoner. "

So the Nazis killed 20 children a day, immediately upon Arrival. The "Holocaust" of Palestinian children resulted in 30 children starving to death over, 6 months of war.

Your turn.

EDIT: My comparison actually sucks really bad, because you'll note the Nazis fucking burned the children alive. Not starved them to death. I'm sure that number in incomparably higher.

Do you get it yet?
https://www.savethechildren.net/news/ov ... months-war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_in_the_Holocaust

If you take the total number of Jewish children killed in the Holocaust, which is 1.5 million, and divide it by the 39 months the Nazis spent exterminating Jews, you arrive at a neat figure of about 38,462 (ish) Jewish children a month dying because of the Nazi regime. In contrast, the Israelis have injured or killed - let's just say killed - 13,800 children in 6 months, which is 2300 children a month. Is that a number to be proud of? Nope. Is it a pale comparison to almost 20 times that amount in industrial killing centers that immediately kill children? Uh, yeah? Absolutely. And comparing Israel to the Holocaust just demonstrates how little people really know about this insidious crime and the people it attempted to destroy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

unless you want this thread locked and closed for good like the Ukraine thread, DROP THE NAZI/HOLOCAUST RANTS.

Any posts after this one that continue the NAZI/HOLOCAUST rantage will be deleted, and those posting them will be reported to Dalton and Wong for possible further punishment for breaking BOARD RULES.

PS: If you're new, go review the rules now.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Benjamin Netanyahu says Rafah strike that killed at least 45 people was a 'tragic mistake'
Benjamin Netanyahu has said the strike that killed at least 45 people mostly made up of women and children in Rafah on Sunday was a "tragic mistake."

The strike in the southern Gazan city hit tent camps housing displaced Palestinians which led to a huge fire engulfing many of the makeshift dwellings.

Frankie Leach, head of media at Action Aid, said: "These shelters were supposed to be safe havens for innocent civilians, yet they became targets of brutal violence.

"Children, women, and men are being burned alive under their tents and shelters."

Israeli officials earlier said they hit a Hamas installation and killed two senior Hamas figures and would investigate the civilian deaths.

Speaking on Monday Prime Minister Netanyahu told Israel's parliament: "Despite our utmost efforts not to harm innocent civilians, last night, there was a tragic mistake.

"We are investigating the incident and will obtain a conclusion because this is our policy."

A spokesperson with the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said the death toll was likely to rise as search and rescue efforts continued in Rafah’s Tal al-Sultan neighbourhood about 2km northwest of the city centre.

Sunday night’s attack, which appeared to be one of the war’s deadliest, helped push the overall Palestinian death toll in the war above 36,000, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

In response to the strikes Catherine Russell, chief executive of UNICEF, said: "The reported killing of children sheltering in makeshift tents is unconscionable."

Mohammed Abuassa, who rushed to the scene of the strike, said rescuers “pulled out people who were in an unbearable state.”

“We pulled out children who were in pieces. We pulled out young and elderly people. The fire in the camp was unreal,” he said.

The attacks came two days after the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to end its military offensive in Rafah, where more than half of Gaza's 2.3 million population had sought shelter before Israel's incursion earlier this month.

French President Emmanuel Macron expressed his "outrage" over the attacks while calling for them to stop.

Thoughts echoed by Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer during a campaign trail General Election speech.

The airstrike was reported just hours after rocket sirens sounded across central Israel, including in Tel Aviv, for the first time in months as Hamas claimed to have fired a barrage of rockets from Gaza.

Hamas has continued to fire projectiles at communities around Gaza but has not fired long-range rockets in months.

There are no immediate reports of casualties or damage from the latest barrage.

The strikes follow aid trucks entering Gaza from southern Israel as part of a new agreement to bypass the Rafah crossing with Egypt.

Rafah had been the main channel for aid to enter Gaza, but after Israeli forces seized the Palestinian side earlier this month and Egypt has refused to open its side of the crossing.

Egypt had temporarily agreed to divert traffic through Israel's Kerem Shalom crossing, Gaza's main cargo terminal - but it has been largely inaccessible due to fighting in Rafah.

Israel says it has allowed hundreds of trucks to enter, but United Nations agencies say it is usually too dangerous to retrieve the aid on the other side.

It was not immediately clear if the UN was able to retrieve the aid from the Gaza side.

Southern Gaza has been largely cut off from aid since Israel launched what it says is a limited incursion into Rafah on May 6.

Since then, over 1 million Palestinians have fled the city, with most having already been displaced from other parts of the besieged territory.

Northern Gaza, which has been largely isolated by Israeli troops for months and where the UN's World Food Program says famine is already underway, is still receiving aid through two land routes that Israel opened in the face of worldwide outrage after Israeli strikes killed seven aid workers in April.

A few dozen trucks have also been entering Gaza daily through a US-built floating pier, but its capacity remains far below the 150 trucks a day that officials had hoped for.

Aid groups say the territory needs a total of 600 trucks a day to meet colossal humanitarian needs.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel must take over Rafah in order to eliminate Hamas' last remaining battalions and achieve its goal of “total victory” over the militants, who have recently regrouped in other parts of Gaza where the military had already operated.

Netanyahu faces growing pressure from the Israeli public to make a deal with Hamas to free the remaining hostages.

Scuffles broke out between Israeli police and protesters in Tel Aviv on Saturday after thousands gathered to demonstrate against the government and demand the return of the hostages. The protesters called for Netanyahu's resignation and demanded new elections.

International pressure is also growing, as the war leaves Israel increasingly isolated on the world stage.

Last week, three European countries announced they would recognise a Palestinian state, and the chief prosecutor for the International Criminal Court requested arrest warrants for Netanyahu and Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, along with three Hamas leaders.

On Friday, the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to end its military offensive in Rafah. The top United Nations court also said Israel must give war crimes investigators access to Gaza.

Israel is unlikely to comply with the orders, and has sharply condemned the ICC's move toward arrest warrants for its leaders. Israel says it makes every effort to avoid harming civilians and blames their deaths on Hamas because the militants operate in dense, residential areas.

What has the human cost of the war been?

The war between Israel and Hamas, now in its eighth month, has killed over 35,800 Palestinians, with the majority of these being women and children, according to Gaza's Health Ministry.

Around 80% of the population's 2.3 million people have fled their homes, severe hunger is widespread and UN officials say parts of the territory are experiencing famine.

Hamas triggered the war with its October 7 attack into Israel, in which Palestinian militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and seized some 250 hostages.

Hamas is still holding some 100 hostages and the remains of around 30 others after most of the rest were released during a cease-fire last year.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Funny how one country -and one country alone- keeps making this same "mistake" over and over again. What's the old saying?

"Once is bad luck; twice is happenstance; three times or more and it's hostile action."

There's only one other regime in human history that repeatedly and deliberately bombed/strafed hospitals, refugee camps and soup kitchens/bread lines over such an extended period:

Facist Italy under Mussolini.

As I pointed out before, they even used the same bullshit excuses for war crimes that the IDF's fluffers use today.

The Duce's air force made such a constant habit of deliberately bombing and strafing hospitals in Libya, East Africa and Spain that Hank Rubin, an American medical student in the Abraham Lincoln Battalion, convinced the Republican Army and civilians alike to remove all Red Cross markings from hospitals, dispensaries and other civilian targets since Red Cross insignia was a bullseye for the Fascists. It worked.

So no, it's not a blunder, it's a crime.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Elfdart wrote: 2024-06-01 12:54am Funny how one country -and one country alone- keeps making this same "mistake" over and over again. What's the old saying?

"Once is bad luck; twice is happenstance; three times or more and it's hostile action."

There's only one other regime in human history that repeatedly and deliberately bombed/strafed hospitals, refugee camps and soup kitchens/bread lines over such an extended period:

Facist Italy under Mussolini.

As I pointed out before, they even used the same bullshit excuses for war crimes that the IDF's fluffers use today.

The Duce's air force made such a constant habit of deliberately bombing and strafing hospitals in Libya, East Africa and Spain that Hank Rubin, an American medical student in the Abraham Lincoln Battalion, convinced the Republican Army and civilians alike to remove all Red Cross markings from hospitals, dispensaries and other civilian targets since Red Cross insignia was a bullseye for the Fascists. It worked.

So no, it's not a blunder, it's a crime.
There's at least one other- Putin's Russia has been doing that to Ukraine for the last two and a bit years :kill:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And Netanyahu doubles down again.

NO GAZA CEASE FIRE UNTIL ISRAEL'S WAR AIMS ACHIEVED
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted there will be no permanent ceasefire in Gaza until Hamas’s military and governing capabilities are destroyed and all hostages are released.
His statement comes after US President Joe Biden announced Israel had proposed a three-stage plan to Hamas aimed at reaching a permanent ceasefire.
A senior Hamas politician has told the BBC it "will go for this deal" if Israel does.

The negotiations come as fighting continues in Rafah, with reports of Israeli air strikes on Saturday in the city on Egypt's border with Gaza.
There is no guarantee that the public pressure by Mr Biden on both Israel and Hamas to accept the plan will result in a deal.
In statement on Saturday, Mr Netanyahu's office said Israel's "conditions for ending the war have not changed".
It listed these as "the destruction of Hamas military and governing capabilities, the freeing of all hostages and ensuring that Gaza no longer poses a threat to Israel".
The statement added Israel would "continue to insist these conditions are met" before agreeing to a permanent ceasefire, emphasising that no deal could be signed before meeting them.

On Friday, Mr Biden described the plan as a comprehensive Israeli proposal that paved the way for a permanent ceasefire.
The first phase would include a full and complete ceasefire, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from populated areas and the exchange of some hostages for Palestinian prisoners.
This would then be followed by the return of all remaining living hostages, including male soldiers.
The final phase would see the remains of any deceased Israeli hostages returned, as well as a "major reconstruction plan" with US and international assistance to rebuild homes, schools and hospitals, Mr Biden said.
A total end to the conflict has been a key Hamas demand to engage in talks.
Following Mr Netanyahu's restating of his aims for the war, a spokesman for Hamas said it would back the plan if Israel did.

Basem Naim, a member of Hamas's political bureau based in Qatar, told the BBC World Service's Newshour programme that the organisation welcomed the plan, but the next step relied on Israel.
In response to Mr Netanyahu's statement, he noted Israel's aims might not have changed, but it also had not achieved them.
"If he tries to continue, he will not find anything except the readiness of the Palestinians - all Palestinians - to resist the occupation," Mr Naim said.

The proposal laid out by Mr Biden seems to give the opportunity for both Israel and Hamas to say that their demands had been met.
For Hamas, it explicitly paves the way for a permanent ceasefire, which has been a key demand of the group for any deal. It wants a guarantee that the Israeli military will not return to Gaza after the hostages are released, and the offer does just that.
This will, without a doubt, face opposition in Israel.
Mr Biden tried to address those concerns by saying that Hamas had been so degraded that it did not have the ability to carry out another major attack on Israel.
He acknowledged, however, that not everyone in Israel would accept the deal, but urged the government to resist pressure.
Those who are likely to be against the plan include far-right members of Mr Netanyahu’s coalition, who have previously threatened to quit in case of any deal that would see the end of the war before the destruction of Hamas. This could lead to the end of the Netanyahu government.
But one of Israel's most influential opposition politicians, Yair Lapid, has promised to back Mr Netanyahu if he supports the ceasefire deal.
In a post on social media, Mr Lapid told the Israeli PM that he "has our safety net for a hostage deal" if far-right allies like national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and finance minister Bezalel Smotrich leave the government.

The statement from Mr Netanyahu's office seemed to be vague enough for him to be able to claim that his objectives had been achieved.
Interestingly, it did not talk about “total victory” - which he has repeatedly said was the aim of the Israeli military in Gaza.
This omission may allow Mr Netanyahu to reject criticism that the deal offers major concessions to Hamas.

Israel has ramped up attacks in the key city of Rafah in recent weeks, claiming operational control over the entire border with Egypt.
US, Israeli and Egyptian officials are due to meet in Cairo on Sunday to discuss reopening the Rafah crossing, according to Egyptian media reports.
Aid flows into Gaza have been restricted since the border was shut in early May, after Israeli forces seized control of it as part of their offensive to take control of Gaza's southern border.
More than 36,000 people have been killed in Gaza since the start of the conflict, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
The war began in October when Hamas gunmen launched an unprecedented attack on Israel, killing about 1,200 people and taking 252 back to Gaza as hostages.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Makes sense.

Netanyahu presumably knows at this point that he can do whatever he wants, because Genocide Joe isn't likely to stop sending aid. US domestic politics in an election year won't allow it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... eal-agreed
Lunchtime Summary

An aide to prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed on Sunday that Israel had accepted a framework deal for winding down the Gaza war now being advanced by US president Joe Biden, though he described it as flawed and in need of much more work. In an interview with The Sunday Times, Ophir Falk, chief foreign policy advisor to Netanyahu, said Biden’s proposal was “a deal we agreed to … it’s not a good deal but we dearly want the hostages released, all of them”.
Around and around and around she goes, where she stops, no one knows.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2024-06-02 09:15am https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... eal-agreed
Lunchtime Summary

An aide to prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed on Sunday that Israel had accepted a framework deal for winding down the Gaza war now being advanced by US president Joe Biden, though he described it as flawed and in need of much more work. In an interview with The Sunday Times, Ophir Falk, chief foreign policy advisor to Netanyahu, said Biden’s proposal was “a deal we agreed to … it’s not a good deal but we dearly want the hostages released, all of them”.
Around and around and around she goes, where she stops, no one knows.
Hopefully it stops as HAMAS produces whatever hostages are still alive. We know that Israeli bombing has killed some, and HAMAS' treatment of others probably killed some. The question is if there's any hostages left at all.

We know what Israeli will do if all the hostages are dead -- they'll restart the cleansing of HAMAS and fuck anyone who gets in their way, civilian, Country, or UN.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-02 08:58am Makes sense.

Netanyahu presumably knows at this point that he can do whatever he wants, because Genocide Joe isn't likely to stop sending aid. US domestic politics in an election year won't allow it.
You're delusional if you think Trump would be any better for anyone. Trump is best buddies with Netanyahu, and Netanyahu can probably play Trump like a fiddle and get whatever he wants.

Unfortunately the choice in November is between those two old men.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-06-02 08:04pm You're delusional if you think Trump would be any better for anyone. Trump is best buddies with Netanyahu, and Netanyahu can probably play Trump like a fiddle and get whatever he wants.

Unfortunately the choice in November is between those two old men.
There are also the options to stay home or vote third party, since neither major candidate is catering to the "genocide is bad" crowd.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Why is anyone still talking about electoral politics as a factor stopping Biden from halting aid? It should be very clear by this point that Biden is doing this first and foremost because he wants to and that he'd probably rather lose the election than stop.