The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by GuppyShark »

NEW EPISODE IS UP.

Anyway, without trying to spoil anything, I predict one character's commentary is going to be lambasted as 'wrong' or 'unbelievable' by the usual suspects, when the obvious explanation - he was lying to fuck with the people he was talking to - will be overlooked for clicks.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Holy shit! :shock:
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Some random musings:

Spoiler
Slave I pursuing an Imperial shuttle was pure eye candy. The Imperial pilot and Cara Dune exchanging taunts with references to the Death Star and Alderaan was good stuff too.

There seems to be some lingering controversy in-universe about whether Boba Fett is a Mandalorian. He doesn't seem to care either way so long as he gets to have his armor.

Including the two fighters that were able to launch and the ones that were visible in the hangar when after the shuttle landed, Gideon's cruiser apparently carried seven in total. I guess that's not too many for a ship that's roughly the size of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, but the Wookieepedia seems to disagree.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Arquit ... nd_cruiser

This episode was probably an even greater demonstration of Luke's abilities than the original trilogy was. He cut through those dark troopers with ease after just one of them nearly murdered the shit out of a hardened Mandalorian warrior.

Bib Fortuna was on Jabba's sail barge when it exploded in ROTJ. Why is he still around?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, Galvatron Spoiler
In regards to Bib Fortuna, we have no proof or even evidence he was on the barge. We saw everyone run when Leia knocked the lights out in Jabba's throne room. We don't see anyone around when Leia kills Jabba, or when Artoo frees her. We don't see him die on screen. As we don't see a massive spray of bodyparts when the skiff explodes, we can assume that at least a few people got off. Like say, Bib Fortuna.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Fair enough.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Also worth noting:

Spoiler
Gideon tried to shoot himself to avoid being taken alive.

Maybe it's a "no shit Sherlock" revelation on my part, but I'm getting the feeling that the Imperial remnants we're seeing are all from COMPNOR (of which the ISB is a division). That might be why they're all fanatically loyal and well-equipped, but absolute dogshit in combat (with the exception of Gideon himself since he clearly has skills).

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Commis ... _New_Order
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Lots to digest and a good setup for Season Three. Squealed a bit at the end.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

De-aging CFI effects do seem to have improved over time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

Broomstick wrote: 2020-12-18 07:10pm De-aging CFI effects do seem to have improved over time.
It definitely has. I can only imagine what they’ll be capable of in the next 10 years or so. I really love the possibilities this could entail. Today’s episode was an amazing surprise.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Was watching with the Brother and Sis-in-law, again. When we saw the X-wing, we all sat up. Spoiler
Then the lightsaber, and we started saying "Is it Ahsoka?" "Well, she'd know how to tear up droids."
Sis-in-law spots and points out the single black glove, cueing a round of "No way, would they? Is it really?"
Brother drawled "Never did see Luke as a Counselor (green saber)."
Sis-in-Law "Maybe that's the only crystal he could find?"
"Did he just throw a head and kill that droid?"
"Oh YEAH! Crush that Bastard!"
"Did they get Mark? YES IT"S MARK HAMIL!" And we giggled and grinned and while there were a couple shots his head didn't look quite right the voice was right, and then R2 rolled in. SQUEEE! Did Grogu understand R2? Did he KNOW R2 from the Temple?
And Din took off his helmet, probably the first time Grogu saw his face :( And Din was CRYING! :luv: :luv:

Oh, and Din's the Mand'Alore, much to Bo Katan's disgust. I'd not caught that little fact behind why SHE had to have Gideon.
Hehehe.. Bib Fortuna got a little fat off Jabba's profits, I see. Too bad Boba had a score to settle, and Book to start.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TrekkieJeff2000 wrote: 2020-12-18 11:18pm
Broomstick wrote: 2020-12-18 07:10pm De-aging CFI effects do seem to have improved over time.
It definitely has. I can only imagine what they’ll be capable of in the next 10 years or so. I really love the possibilities this could entail. Today’s episode was an amazing surprise.
They got him for the Voice, that's all that mattered to me :)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Spoiler
Luke had a green saber in ROTJ. But I enjoyed seeing how they treated the Dark Troopers as a serious threat, those Phase Three Dark Troopers were powered armor, not droids, that'd be Phase Two. And I enjoyed seeing Luke show up to save the day.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-12-19 12:08amThey got him for the Voice, that's all that mattered to me :)
His voice has changed a lot over the years so I was impressed that he managed to sound like his younger self at a time when he usually just sounds like the Joker to me.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm hoping Din and Bo Katan can come to some arrangement around the darksaber. Even if it's only ensuring they both survive their fight.
Galvatron wrote: 2020-12-18 01:03pmThis episode was probably an even greater demonstration of Luke's abilities than the original trilogy was. He cut through those dark troopers with ease after just one of them nearly murdered the shit out of a hardened Mandalorian warrior.
I don't think the dark trooper was able to hurt Din much. Neither of them had weaponry that could reliably get through the others armor.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Beskar is super tough, but how much of it really covers his body? The dark trooper could have eventually hit a soft spot that wasn't protected by it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-12-19 02:26am I don't think the dark trooper was able to hurt Din much. Neither of them had weaponry that could reliably get through the others armor.
I think you're discounting the sort of pummeling that occurs when a body is thrown with great force. Getting face-punched by the Dark Trooper was probably an instance where the beskar helmet saved Dinn because the helmet was "braced" against the wall of the corridor and most of the force was probably transmitted through the helmet to the wall. However, the "throw Dinn around like a ragdoll" bits would be imparting a lot of force to Dinn's entire body, and the effects of starting/stopping movement (g forces) could do quite a bit of damage as blunt force trauma. Which is probably why Dinn's armor has a lot of padding. Also, I've heard a theory that Mandalorian armor makes use of inertia dampening technology to reduce impact forces and allow the wearer to survive falls, collisions, etc.

Pretty sure Dinn felt that fight - "oh, that's gonna hurt in the morning!" sort of thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-12-19 12:51am
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-12-19 12:08amThey got him for the Voice, that's all that mattered to me :)
His voice has changed a lot over the years so I was impressed that he managed to sound like his younger self at a time when he usually just sounds like the Joker to me.
I read in an article (can't remember which one) that it was digitally altered.

EDIT: Oh, it was Games Radar (but others have also mentioned it): Games Radar
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I was a good episode. Called it with the X wing. That said, de-aged Luke totally hit the uncanny valley for me. Was nice to see him do a death and destruction hallway scene though. The psuedo conflict they build for Bo and Din is silly though. Out of both of them, Din is the 'honorable' one. Nothing against Bo but she's not straight laced. Have Din toss the saber back at Gideon and have her cold cock him immediately and take the damn blade.

Besides which, Bo Katan got the damn thing by Sabine giving it to her. Not only did Sabine give the Darksaber to her, she did it as half a dozen Mando clans pledged allegiance to Katan as the new leader and watched her get the sword.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm guessing there's something we're missing there, something that made Mandalorians doubt her as leader or her doubt herself as a leader. Probably something related to how she lost the Darksaber in the first place.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Knife wrote: 2020-12-19 01:50pm Out of both of them, Din is the 'honorable' one. Nothing against Bo but she's not straight laced.
And that's exactly why Bo would be a better planetary leader - she's got politician instincts, she can be sneaky, or deceptive, as needed. Din is too honorable to be an effective, long-term leader that has to deal with politics and diplomacy.
Knife wrote: 2020-12-19 01:50pmHave Din toss the saber back at Gideon and have her cold cock him immediately and take the damn blade.
Except that Gideon is actually a pretty effective villain and might manage to wreck havoc with it, that's actually a pretty decent idea.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

He should just drop it on the floor and tell her she can either take it or leave it. If she doesn't pick it up, someone else eventually will.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or Din and Bo come to a deal. He keeps the Darksaber and officially takes the throne. She is the one actually in charge.

I imagine they would agree a lot. At least until they have retaken Mandalore.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It doesn't sound like the kind of thing he'd do for nothing, but she could always bribe him with a new ship and a home for his tribe. I imagine it would be preferable to living in the sewers of Nevarro.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-12-19 03:36pm I'm guessing there's something we're missing there, something that made Mandalorians doubt her as leader or her doubt herself as a leader. Probably something related to how she lost the Darksaber in the first place.
This sounds far more likely. After all, she was the one in charge when The Purge happened. She probably feels she failed Mandalore horribly.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

She's already stolen two Imperial cruisers and clearly has plans to liberate Mandalore from whatever occupation forces remains there. She shouldn't need to win the darksaber in a duel if she can retake the planet militarily.