The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by Darth Yan »

Really liked it. It got the main plot points in the 30 minutes, managed to make Boba LEGITIMATELY badass rather than a wannabe and sets up the climax of Din going after Gideon.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I just finished Season 1. Not sure when I'll get to watch the second season, so I stopped reading the thread on page five, but having gotten to binge it in a weekend as opposed to seeing the episodes one at a time, it felt more cohesive to me than it apparently did to some people while it was being dripped out. "The Prisoner" was the weakest of the lot, I think, though Mando stalking the team through the darkened ship was undeniably cool. I do question his leaving them alive, though; they're a vulnerability at his back, and he apparently doesn't actually have a problem with killing since he's done it so much.

The directors self-inserting as X-wing pilots was hilarious, though. I only recognized Filoni at the time.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Apparently Jon Favreau had to drag Dave Filoni kicking and screaming into doing that.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Favreau didn't mind Mando-ing up. Sniper girl was a director as well. With a reoccurring role, that's not in an Xwing.

That being said, while I get why you said it was a one off, I do like that episode. The gunslinger saves a kid motiff is cool and the backbone of the show, but once in a while you need an episode reaffirming the 'gunslinger' bit.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Interesting. Anyway, thinking about it, I'm perfectly willing to accept the X-wings attacking the gunship and station, because the show is told from Din Djarin's point of view - it's perfectly reasonable to presume that they, along with a boarding transport, intercepted the prison ship and the X-wings pursued the tracker, and we'd have no reason to be shown that since the Mandalorian wasn't around for it. We also don't see the conclusion of the attack on the station since the Razor Crest didn't stick around for that either; they could have just shot a couple of times to affirm they were serious and then demanded surrender.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Knife wrote: 2020-12-06 05:38pm Favreau didn't mind Mando-ing up. Sniper girl was a director as well. With a reoccurring role, that's not in an Xwing.
Ming-Na Wen? What did she direct?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-12-06 06:32pm
Knife wrote: 2020-12-06 05:38pm Favreau didn't mind Mando-ing up. Sniper girl was a director as well. With a reoccurring role, that's not in an Xwing.
Ming-Na Wen? What did she direct?
Totally my bad. MIstook Debra Chow for Ming Na Wen. My bad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So, tonight I watched Friday's episode with my brother "Ichi" and sis-in-law. They hadn't seen it, so I tried to act like I didn't know, and we start eating chicken cordon blue and loaded taters as the show starts. (Friday is usually Dinner and Show night for us.)

Ichi and I really get into Tython, because they did get it rather close to SW:TOR, and he could believe the ruins on the mountain as what's left of The Forge.
They both perked up seeing Slave-1, and then were both "I knew it! I knew it!" when they saw Boba. Ming Na Wen's character surprised them but Ichi was happy about that, he thinks she's sexxxy.
The fight starts. Ichi is a former sniper, he loved that bit, even told Ming to "get the boulder!" with perfect timing for her to 'follow his suggestion'.
Boba Fett and the stick? That scene got paused as sis-in-law snorted and said "Ichi at the Bridge". Long SCA story short: My brother took a bridge from the enemy all by himself with a polearm at the last Pennsic War we had, even saved a Knight in trouble by clocking her pursuer without a pause in his form. The legend is growing and spreading. Boba Fett against the storm troopers was Ichi on the bridge - Bam Wham Thwack Bam Wham bodies down him standing.
And then when Boba looked at the Razor Crest, Ichi grinned "Yeah, get that armor".
Mando and Ming back to back, Ichi's approving Mando protecting her with his belkar, and then giggled at the grenade "Oh yeah, it's on!" Again, comparisons to Ichi on the bridge, taking names without stopping. Sis-in-law was grinning and singsonging "They're gonna get it" as Fett stalked the retreating troopers.
"Well, they ain't getting away" Ichi says as the viewfinder drops, so I ask "Which one did he aim for?" "Doesn't matter," Ichi says, just as the missile hits "...cause he's gonna do that..." Ichi finishes as the ships collide. Then, he barks laughing at Fett saying he aimed for the other one.

At this point, I know what's coming, and I'm splitting my view between the screen and Ichi. The bolt from the blue, the RazorCrest explodes. SIs-in-Law yells "HE JUST FIXED THAT!" (which is what I yelled when I saw it first). But Ichi had been about to slice a piece of chicken and was now absolutely frozen. Fork and knife in hand, stopped in mid-motion. Mouth dropped. Eyes huge in shock. The last time I saw him look like that he was seeing sis-in-law walking down the aisle to marry him. Then, in a quiet, dangerous voice he said "dude done fucked up."

The rest of the episode, every time he saw Gideon he was muttering "Dude, you're dead. You're so fuckin' dead."

It's so rare to surprise Ichi, and the way he just froze in total complete "Oh no he didn't..." shock was priceless. Had to share the reactions.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It reminded me so much of a similar scene from, of all things, Miami Vice.

Spoiler
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-12-06 10:25pm It reminded me so much of a similar scene from, of all things, Miami Vice.

Spoiler
OH YEAH. He didn't have the glasses, but THAT was THE LOOK! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That car was only worth 150K? Meh. I liked the white Testarossa better anyway (and it's not often I say that about a not-red sports car). And Don Johnson's original voice just sounds wrong.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

$150k back then is equivalent to around $350k today, but I liked the Testarossa better too. It was my dream car in those days. The whole story behind the switch is pretty interesting too.

https://rossoautomobili.com/blogs/magaz ... testarossa

What voice did Crockett have when you saw the show?

Anyway, maybe Slave I will become the white Testarossa of The Mandalorian.
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Probably this one:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-12-07 01:39am $150k back then is equivalent to around $350k today, but I liked the Testarossa better too. It was my dream car in those days. The whole story behind the switch is pretty interesting too.

https://rossoautomobili.com/blogs/magaz ... testarossa

Remember, Batman is from Germany, so it was subbed into that language.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yup. See Patrick's last post.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2020-12-07 03:33pm Yup. See Patrick's last post.
Can't. It's not available in my region.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So.. I'm going to say that this week's ep will be the usual "Gather the Troops" to go hit Gideon, and the last one will be The Rescue. Of course, The Rescue might also be a Cliffhanger.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder if one of those troops will be Ahsoka. If she's afraid to train him, she should be even more of afraid of what the Empire might do with him.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

This season needs to end in a resounding and painful defeat so we know there are some stakes involved. However, I am sure the Cylons will both fight for the first time and be promptly swatted aside effortlessly in the season finale.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The stormtrooper blood will flow like wine.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I couldn’t help smiling at the baby sized shackles.

Additionally, the plot seemed quite “ET phone home” -ish up to the part where Grogu gets abducted. No complaints, looking forward to the subsequent development.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

So I have a theory about Grogu's fate that a number of you aren't going to like, but if you really think about it you'll realize that it makes perfect sense in the larger context of the Star Wars IP:

Spoiler
Maz Kanata will be the one to answer the call.

She's Force-sensitive, over a thousand years old and has a mysterious past. I wouldn't even be surprised if they retcon her as a former Jedi Master too. Maybe one of the Lost Twenty.

And she won't turn Grogu over to Luke because she has some sort of ominous premonition about his academy, so she'll keep him in her care "until the time is right" or something to that effect.

That will pave the way to him becoming one of the new generation of Jedi in any post-TROS storyline, and given the lifespan of his species he could be around for a very long time afterward (which will be useful if they decide to jump forward a few centuries).

Pencil it in and remember who said it first.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Makes sense.

We also know Ahsoka dies at some point (her voice is one of the ones Rey hears during the final battle in ROS) so maybe they beat Gideon, but only at great cost (i.e. a lot of people end up dead).
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Patroklos wrote: 2020-12-09 12:09am This season needs to end in a resounding and painful defeat so we know there are some stakes involved. However, I am sure the Cylons will both fight for the first time and be promptly swatted aside effortlessly in the season finale.
Yeah, it would be nice if there were actual stakes, or ever an actual sense of dramatic tension. Too often this show just feels like watching somebody else play a Star Wars video game on the easiest difficulty setting. Definitely agree that the big bad Dark Troopers will be defeated pretty quickly (and probably not even by Macguffin, lazy as they are as story-telling devices at least they would make the Dark Troopers actually feel like a threat if they can only be defeated that way, most likely it will just be another poorly choreographed shoot-out). Hopefully at least it will look cool when it happens?

Also, they really need to ditch those targeting computers at this point. It's getting pretty ludicrous how many times they show the targeting computer "locked on" to a target, but then they shoot at almost a 90 degree fucking angle away from where the target is. I'm not saying it needs to be an automatic hit, but it should at least be a close miss (like it was in the original trilogy). The scene with Carl Weathers shooting at the TIE fighters was an abomination.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-12-08 06:06pm
Batman wrote: 2020-12-07 03:33pm Yup. See Patrick's last post.
Can't. It's not available in my region.
I pasted the video URL into a YouTube downloader (y2mate.com) and was able to see it that way.

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaylHjP9Pok