THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-19 04:05pm Redcloak is always irrational in this very fashion. It's a consistent character trait; he goes fishing for confirmation of what he already believes and will twist until he can't twist anymore to arrive at the conclusion he wants.
His entire character is wrapped around a massive sunk cost fallacy stemming from his need to validate all the horrible sacrifices he has made for sake of the Plan and appeasing Xykon. That was spelled out pretty explicitly in Start of Darkness. His actions here are absolutely in keeping with that. Durkon just made the most well-intentioned, good faith attempt at reasoning anyone could and aside from a couple twinges of uncertainty to show that deep down Redcloak is conflicted it bounced off his personal neuroses without leaving a scratch.

Bottom line, if Redcloak does somehow rise above his defining flaws it's going to happen after he's been hit by something that shatters his worldview. Not by diplomacy and reasoned arguments.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-19 04:05pm Redcloak is always irrational in this very fashion. It's a consistent character trait; he goes fishing for confirmation of what he already believes and will twist until he can't twist anymore to arrive at the conclusion he wants.
The man went to ludicrous lengths to interrogate O'Chul despite it being entirely plausible that he didn't know anything about the other gates.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2020-08-19 07:23pm
The man went to ludicrous lengths to interrogate O'Chul despite it being entirely plausible that he didn't know anything about the other gates.
I know. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

"I don't think you really care about them"
"You just feel bad you DON'T care about them"

Mmmmmhmmmm I think the Truth has been spoken...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

"With the hitting and the yelling and the more hitting." :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-08-25 06:29pm "With the hitting and the yelling and the more hitting." :lol:
"Words are just pretty hat we put on ugly truths"

Worg for the Win on that one.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Random question...
Are Worgs 'supposed' to be intelligent like that? Or is this more of an out of universe thing done for laughs?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-08-28 12:23pm Random question...
Are Worgs 'supposed' to be intelligent like that? Or is this more of an out of universe thing done for laughs?
Yes. They are intelligent and evil. Can even speak languages like Goblin and Common.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, Animal Companions get more intelligent with their bonded partners level, and there are spells that can make non-magical animals intelligent and give them the ability to speak.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

1213 is up

Oona should worry that Redcloak did not answer question.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

That doesn't seem to be her style.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I almost wonder if Redcloak is being DELIBERATELY self-destructive her. Her it is, near the end-game, and he just found out he effectively won, without seizing a gate.

Making his brothers death kind of pointless. They could have gotten that Hobgoblin army and conquered Azure City without being involved with a certain-insane-Lich
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2020-09-03 10:49am I almost wonder if Redcloak is being DELIBERATELY self-destructive her. Her it is, near the end-game, and he just found out he effectively won, without seizing a gate.

Making his brothers death kind of pointless. They could have gotten that Hobgoblin army and conquered Azure City without being involved with a certain-insane-Lich
I don't think he's thought that far yet. I think he's rationalizing it as "They're Trying To Stop Me", and not going to go further than that.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

But, there is a God literally offering everything the Dark One wants, and by extension, everything Redcloak should want.
He could have at least said 'I need to talk to the Dark One about this, come back tomorrow' if he had any doubts.

To me, seems like he's losing it.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

There's a very strong probability that the Dark One (who Redcloak says he has never spoken to directly)'s attitude on the subject is Redcloak's writ large. Let's not forget how the Dark One died in the first place.

And even assuming Redcloak is psychologically able to entertain the possibility that this offer is legit (he isn't, not yet anyway), it's very in-character for a Lawful Evil high priest like him to believe that he'd be better off accepting that offer from a position of overwhelming strength.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Going by that, then you have to take the 'Don't screw this up' and 'No preasure' message from the Dark One into account.

Especially considering Rick's style.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2020-09-04 01:53am There's a very strong probability that the Dark One (who Redcloak says he has never spoken to directly)'s attitude on the subject is Redcloak's writ large. Let's not forget how the Dark One died in the first place.
This is a good question -- HOW did the Dark One die/ascend? I don't remember seeing anything about that. :(

We do have to also think hard about Redcloak never talking to the Dark One himself, just hearing messages from others. He was given the message "Don't Screw This Up" before the Gods started talking about breaking the world. The Dark One is totally in the dark about what the other Gods are doing.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-09-05 12:10pm This is a good question -- HOW did the Dark One die/ascend? I don't remember seeing anything about that. :(
He was murdered at a peace summit intended to negotiate the creation of a new nation for goblins and other NPC races, and ascended due to the veneration he received for uniting the goblin peoples. Can't remember if that was mentioned in the web comic or secondary sources.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Dark One's ascension is covered in the Crayons of Time segment of Start of Darkness.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-05 01:03pm The Dark One's ascension is covered in the Crayons of Time segment of Start of Darkness.
I don't think I've read that one.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-09-09 03:35pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-05 01:03pm The Dark One's ascension is covered in the Crayons of Time segment of Start of Darkness.
I don't think I've read that one.
Get ahold of it. Not only is it very good, it's increasingly important for understanding the context of Redcloak, Xykon and their relationship
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Xykon might fashion some fun from the dwarves, or the dwarves might get enough time to clue Xykon in on how his little plan threatens existence. He mentioned many comics back that he has no desire to destroy the world because then there'd be nothing left for him to rule over. Or something to that effect. If they can convince him that Redcloak's a threat, well... Redcloak dies and then Xykon gets a bit of entertainment from the dwarves after.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2020-09-11 03:15pm He mentioned many comics back that he has no desire to destroy the world because then there'd be nothing left for him to rule over. Or something to that effect.
He said he would have to be really, really bored to destroy the world.

But about how long do you think that would take?