General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Work progressing on scroll blanks. Got one done (see Venting for my rant about the stupid fuckin' nib)

went to a Sewing Circle Saturday, got a sideless surcoat that just needs hemmed, and a new muffin hat :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Festival of the Passing of the Ice Dragon, the biggest A&S event in Æthelmearc & East Kingdom, has been cancelled due to Corvid19 concern.

The college where the Barony of Rhydderich Hael was to hold Ice Dragon this weekend has closed its campus to limit outside contact.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gulf War, cancelled, on advice of local CDC
Ice Dragon (big Æthelmearc A&S event in Syracuse) cancelled, on advice of local CDC and college shutting down
Donnan Party (in Wheeling WV) cancelled because college shut down.

MidRealm shutting down **ALL** practices, events, and gatherings.

Blackstone Raid? Still going, cause it's set end of April in the middle of nowhere WV.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FROM THE BLACKSTONE RAID AUTOCRAT!
It is with a heavy heart and sad hand that I must tell you Blackstone Raid is officially cancelled for 2020. Federal and State Guidelines indicate that Social Distancing Guidelines are in effect until April 30. The Society and Kingdom have both asked that we follow our Federal and State Guidelines.

Let us not become discouraged. This will pass and Blackstone Raid 2021 will be BIGGER and BETTER then ever. Seeing our family will be all the sweeter and our parties all the longer (bad wine has another year to get nastier).

Thank you to all the staff and everyone who has been working so hard this year. Keep your plans, your notes because you are gonna be needed next year.

Please contact the reservationcrat for any refunds.

All the Best,

Baron Cunedda Kell (Autocrat)

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah. We're probably going to have to skip Coronation and Crown. It's going to play merry havoc with the calendar, but that beats getting a bunch of people killed.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Midrealm Coronation has been canceled. The coronation ceremony will be held with just the necessary officers and livestreamed. Crown Tournament is still on as of now, but that's subject to change.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Æthelmearc Crown will be streamed via Æthrel Court this Saturday starting at 1pm, via Zoom.
Limit 300 people.

The sad thing is my brother was *really* looking forward to stepping down as Baron at Blackstone Raid. He's had it for 6.5yrs. So... we might have to find a way to do it via Zoom as well, but that will be juggling him and his wife, the incoming Baron and Baroness, and TRMs.
Royal Court proved it *can* be done, if you have the equipment, which I don't think we do.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

ALL HAIL MAYNARD AND LIADAN, KING & QUEEN OF ÆTHELMEARC!
VIVAT! Ad Glorium Æthelmearc!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So, how 'bout that round of banishments this week? Nazidoctor von Deathcamp was obvious (once you'd heard of him), but Ronan Blackmoor was a long time coming.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-06-11 06:36pm So, how 'bout that round of banishments this week? Nazidoctor von Deathcamp was obvious (once you'd heard of him), but Ronan Blackmoor was a long time coming.
I didn't know the Ronan Blackmoor story, so I can't comment on it.
The sad thing is if Nazidoctor had kept his mouth shut we'd STILL have no clue. His first name was so common, the last name an existing Town, no one connected the dots. There's a big discussion on the Heraldry boards now about how to check for this in the future.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Sachsenhausen was just the concentration camp by my understanding; the closest town was Oranienburg.

Ronan is... special. He likes to try to win arguments on Facebook by talking about how he's an FBI special agent and knows more than you but can't say because it's classified. He's also wildly Islamophobic, advocates police crackdowns against basically everybody, is known to harass his fellow Trimaran Masters of Defense (notably the Jew and black man among them), and is only a Defender in the first place because he was buddy buddy with the king at the time, who elevated him in a private court at Pennsic without the rest of the Order present because they had unanimously objected to his elevation.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-06-11 09:37pm Sachsenhausen was just the concentration camp by my understanding; the closest town was Oranienburg.

Ronan is... special. He likes to try to win arguments on Facebook by talking about how he's an FBI special agent and knows more than you but can't say because it's classified. He's also wildly Islamophobic, advocates police crackdowns against basically everybody, is known to harass his fellow Trimaran Masters of Defense (notably the Jew and black man among them), and is only a Defender in the first place because he was buddy buddy with the king at the time, who elevated him in a private court at Pennsic without the rest of the Order present because they had unanimously objected to his elevation.
Ah. Good Riddance to Ronan then

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

And we only KNOW the Trimaran Order of Defense objected because Baldar made a point of saying that at the elevation.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm just waiting for something like that to come out of Æthelmearc. :(

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I hope for your sake it doesn't happen. Talking with Ronan is like talking to an angrier Stewie at SDI; it's exhausting.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Did you see that Laurel is offering Free Name Changes for those who have questionable names? I wonder how many will accept, and how many will try to hide?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Why oh why did I let the Laurels talk me into entering the Æthelmearc Kingdom A&S Championship? It's not like I'm gonna be good enough to win.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I survived the Judging. It helps that I knew every single one of the judges, and two of them knew me when I started in the Society (they're both Laurels now)

The final results will be released at Virtual Court this Saturday.

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Not sure what that is, but good luck all the same.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zwinmar wrote: 2020-12-03 04:56pm Not sure what that is, but good luck all the same.
The SCA is a Medieval Reenactment Society. One of the reenactments we do is Arts & Sciences, such as making clothing and accessories.
I entered a online Challenge to make a complete outfit from the skin out. When I was done and posted pictures, many local people twisted my arm until I entered the outfit in the local Kingdom Arts & Sciences competition, to pick the Kingdom Champion.

Think of it as School Art Project on a bigger scale ;)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I knew I'd not win. So why'm I so disappointed?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I haven't held a sword since January. In person events are now suspended until June next year. It's the right decision, but this sucks.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-12-06 03:38pm I haven't held a sword since January. In person events are now suspended until June next year. It's the right decision, but this sucks.
Oh TELL ME ABOUT IT! Last April my brother and sis-in-law were supposed to step down as Baron/Baroness, and they're very happy to leave because they're a bit burnt out. Now, again, we can't have the event the last weekend in April because of the Ban.
Now, I've suggested they just do it in a Virtual Court on Zoom, but the incoming Baron and Baroness wanted Pomp, Circumstance, and Shtick. (someting about giving Ichi a sock so he's a free elf was mentioned)

Also, King Maynard and Queen Liadan have announced they're staying on the Throne until they can have a Crown Tourney/Coronation combo event, which at this point may not be til October 2021 (when the last Crown was supposed to be held).

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have been spending my Covid Stimulus widely. Just got a new ring from The Artisan's Menagerie, a gentleman I know through the SCA. It's a stainless steel band 1cm wide, engraved with all three of my major SCA awards. I can now wear them without having a bunch of necklaces hanging everywhere!

The Artisan's Menagerie is based in Æthelmearc (Morgantown, WV), but you can google him to find his store. Master Anias is a fencer and fighter as well.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Æthelmearc is finally holding Crown Tourney, and it's going to be held in West Virginia!!!
Even better, it's being held at the former Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, finally, my brother and sis-in-law get to lay down their Coronets as Baron/Baroness. We're going to make sure my brother gets a sock, so he can finally be a Free Elf (yes, that schtick has been building the last two years)

Now, to make MamaSan a new kimono out of lighter cotton so she doesn't keel over from heat exhaustion, decide what *I* am going to wear so I don't die of heat, and get hotel rooms for the night before.