General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LaCroix »

When people pay you to be somewhere, they usually want you to do work... Except to get some more titles to be bestowed upon you... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote: 2019-03-24 06:36pm When people pay you to be somewhere, they usually want you to do work... Except to get some more titles to be bestowed upon you... :D
Right now, the only titles that are higher than what I have is Court Baroness and Order of the Pelican. I doubt I'm up for either one. LOL!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-03-24 11:02pm
LaCroix wrote: 2019-03-24 06:36pm When people pay you to be somewhere, they usually want you to do work... Except to get some more titles to be bestowed upon you... :D
Right now, the only titles that are higher than what I have is Court Baroness and Order of the Pelican. I doubt I'm up for either one. LOL!
It could also be some additional lower titles, some of which come with extra workload... :D

There is promotion, and diversification of duties... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote: 2019-03-25 08:15am It could also be some additional lower titles, some of which come with extra workload... :D

There is promotion, and diversification of duties... :D
I'm already Regional Deputy, which is a volunteer position. I've nto raised my hand for another position, so I think I'm safe there LOL!
Of course, since some fucktard stole my bankcard and what little money I had, I may not be traveling.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Either that or Their (soon-to-be) Majesties really, really want to give you some award or recognition in their first court, which is a bit of a big deal. And thus want to make sure you're there to receive it.

So probably a good thing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-03-26 12:26am Either that or Their (soon-to-be) Majesties really, really want to give you some award or recognition in their first court, which is a bit of a big deal. And thus want to make sure you're there to receive it.

I've known him a good 25yrs, so that's possible. Last time they gave me a Token of Appreciation for my years of hard work, then gave a Court Barony to one of the others down here who also worked his ass off.
The fun thing is Prince Gareth makes his own coronets to hand out.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, I did not get called up into Court.

However, I did have a good friend get elevated to Court Baroness for her amazing skills at portraiture.

On the other hand, every male friend I ran into up there all gave me big strong, long hugs -- the kind that pulls your soul back into place. :luv:

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I've been feeling a little out of it in the SCA lately, but I day tripped to An Tir's May crown, and what a list field. It was open this year to out of kingdom participants. We had 88 fighters, 12 Dukes. Finals were Duke Morgan(Formerly of Atenveldt?) and Duke Sven(King of An Tir 5 ish times?) and Morgan went 5/1. Beautiful passes, talk about pain wizards.

I decided to ride the tide of inspiration and get some of my kit resolved. Decided to make a Muscleata out of hardened leather, and it came out better than I deserved. Really my kit is writing checks my prowess can't cash but it looks pretty good and doesn't weigh anything.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-03-26 11:08pm
RogueIce wrote: 2019-03-26 12:26am Either that or Their (soon-to-be) Majesties really, really want to give you some award or recognition in their first court, which is a bit of a big deal. And thus want to make sure you're there to receive it.

I've known him a good 25yrs, so that's possible. Last time they gave me a Token of Appreciation for my years of hard work, then gave a Court Barony to one of the others down here who also worked his ass off.
The fun thing is Prince Gareth makes his own coronets to hand out.
They did give me a second Award of Excellence this year. No scroll, but the Court Herald didn't know my full name, and asked me if I wanted to call myself into Court :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got asked if I'd be at the event THIS weekend to. Last event two of my friends got Court Baronies. Third time charm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Speaking of Crown Tournaments, Sir Seto Gesshuko won the Midrealm Crown, the day after Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful became Princess by her own hand in Ealdormere (after beating up her husband in the semi-finals). It was a good weekend for thumbing the nose at the various... unsavory Crowns that have been making unwanted news the last year and a half.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-05-30 04:40pm Speaking of Crown Tournaments, Sir Seto Gesshuko won the Midrealm Crown, the day after Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful became Princess by her own hand in Ealdormere (after beating up her husband in the semi-finals). It was a good weekend for thumbing the nose at the various... unsavory Crowns that have been making unwanted news the last year and a half.
Æthelmearc is having Duke Timothy & Duchess Gabrielle as heirs. I think this is #8? They're Good People.

He's the one who runs Ædult Swim at Pennsic and again in February/March. More a giant mixed Fighter Practice than an event, but it's drawn Duke Sean from the West just to cross swords with folks. Last year we had Eldermereans, Atlantians, Caidans, Westoners, Trimarians, and of course Easterners and Midlers. Deep pool of combattants, from Knights/MODs to grant-levels, old-timers and new, all there to teach and test each other.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm off to Pennsic, planning to arrive hopefully by late morning tomorrow. :grin:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

He made it. His lady posted selfie with Rogue in the background grinning like a fiend while holding up his Pennsic Site Token.

Bastard. I'm jealous. :(

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, Pennsic is over, and all have made their way home safely.
The Middle Kingdom (and Allies like Æthelmearc) won all but ONE War Point. Clean sweep, leaving the MidRealm once again ahead of the East in total Victories.

Closer to home, one good friend was given a Fleur d'Æthelmearc for his artwork and teaching (next reward would be a Peerage). Three gentles from my area were made Baron/ess of the Royal Court, for their hard work and support of the Crown (one gentle has been a Herald for over 40yrs). My sis-in-law was FINALLY given an award for her hard work, after I and many others had been sending messages about her for months.

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Welp,

I've put my bid in to be Baronial Heavy Marshal. We've needed one for a long time, and the current guy was calling uncle.

The Baron is a good friend of mine and wants the position to be "Knight Marshal" but man, that's uncomfortable to say.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LapsedPacifist wrote: 2019-08-26 03:45pm Welp,

I've put my bid in to be Baronial Heavy Marshal. We've needed one for a long time, and the current guy was calling uncle.

The Baron is a good friend of mine and wants the position to be "Knight Marshal" but man, that's uncomfortable to say.
It's a hard thing to say, but it is the Traditional Name for that post. In our Barony, most of our Knight Marshals were UnBelted, not even Squired.

Right now, one of our former Barons is the Knight Marshal. Again, he's an UnBelt. We don't care, he's getting fighter practices together and doing his job. That's all we care about.

In other news, the 7 Pearls (baronies) of Æthelmearc are having their Traditional 7 Pearls Championship to see who has the best Champions. I'm halfway done with the Award Scroll for the Heavy Weapons. This is as always the Big One -- decades ago someone made and painted a shield with all the Baronies' devices on it, and the winner of the Heavy determines which Barony gets it.
Blackstone Mountain (my barony) has held it the last 6yrs. :-D Wonder if I should go ahead and put our Champion's name on the scroll. :mrgreen:

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have to Rant, because of something I've seen in a Polling Order I'm part of. This is for the MillRind, the High Order of Service for the Kingdom of Æthelmearc. This considered one step below Pelican in Order of Service.

"Good Gentles of the Millrind.
I am looking over the polling, and I am seeing a surprising number of "Not Familiar" votes for various Candidates.  Thus, I wanted to ask a few questions, aimed that those who voted that way.
1. Why are you not familiar with the Candidates?  Have you never traveled to that part of Æthelmearc and asked about them?  I ask, because a few of those who were voted down are Region One members, who have done a lot of work for Region One, but do not get to travel out of Region One for various reasons.  Not being able to travel should not be held against potential Order Members.  It could, and should, be used against Order Members who are not getting out to meet these Candidates. 
Which leads me to 2. If Order Members from a Region, Barony, or Shire suggest a candidate for inclusion, why are we weighing so heavily on "Not Familiar"? If you are "Not Familiar" with the Candidate -- then go find out! Go to that Region, find people who know that person and ask what they do! Ask what they have done for their Region, what they have done to deserve membership!
Which adds the question: Why are we not asking Order Members in the Region about this person?  Must we know a Candidate *personally* in order to add them to our number? Or can we not trust our fellow Order members to give us good advice and trust that they know the Candidate is Worthy? 
There is no reason why anyone nominated as a Candidate should be blocked from Membership because someone, somewhere outside their circle, is "Not Familiar" with them.  "

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And tomorrow, Gareth & Julianna will step down, ending the second "Redneck Reign of WV", and Timothy and Gabrielle will be crowned the Sylvan Rulers of Æthelmearc.

And both sets of them I consider good friends.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... Fall Crown 2020 will chose who is King for Pennsic 50. It's expected to be a big Crown because of that.

Crown Tourney rotates through the Kingdom, and Fall 2020 is to be held in Region 1 (West Virginia).
Tonight I find out if my Barony trusts me to run a Crown Tourney.
Wish me luck. I won't know if Kingdom accepts until May/June 2020.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

BLACKSTONE RAIDS 29
With the Baronial Investiture of Cenudda Kell II and Alayna Horsecroft II!

Bigger, Badder and Louder! This year the Middle comes for our land, not our precious black stones used for iron mongering! All able bodied individuals should arm and make ready to defend the southern lands of AEthelmearc against the army of the Middle Kingdom!
(Because Baron Cenudda Kell I once challenged the King of the Middle "Hey, if I win this fight, I get to be King, right? If I lose, you can have Blackstone?" and the King of the Mid agreed. Just took several years for the Middle to remember this fact.)

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

We are? News to me.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-01-14 05:30pm We are? News to me.
From what I understand, Baron Cunedda already spoke to whomever will be King this April, and the Schtick is Strong.

In other news, I'll be Herald in Charge at The Tournament of the White Hart in Port Oasis March 6-9th, A&S Minister for Blackstone Raids that April, and by April I'll know if I've got the Kingdom Nod for Fall Crown 2020.

Can't say I'm not working on getting the Bird.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Note to Self --
Napless corduroy houpelande should have been FULLY LINED in the bodice, to prevent stretching of neckline. FOUR FULL INCHES?!??!?!

I've got the collar off it, I'm going to have to repair the front and back of the neckline, THEN adjust the collar and re-attach it.
But, it'll look MUCH BETTER once I'm done, right?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... the Houpelande took a day to fix. Removed the collar, took up two inches of fabric in two darts on the back of the neck, cut the collar down to fit, and HAND-STITCHED that asshole back down. Because the only way to get somethings to lay flat takes hand-stitching.

Then, because my brother and sis-in-law will be stepping down as Baron & Baroness next month, Mom (MamaSan Ichijo) needed some tailoring on her Kimono and Kosode. (MamaSan shrank a little over the last few years.) That took two days.

The Kona Cotton under-kimono was too long, and MamaSan said the collar was too wide and bothering her. She also wanted snaps added to keep it closed. So, hemmed it to the right length, added the snaps, then removed the collar, trimmed it smaller, and HAND-SEWED it back on so it would lay right. I had bruises on my thumb and finger from fighting the needle through the layers of fabric.
Next - the kimono, made of jacquard-woven polyester. THANKFULLY, I must have made it short, as it still fit perfectly. Just needed to fix the sleeve/pockets where the fabric had frayed. And OMFG did this shit fray, even when I was putting it together. I swear I will never work with Poly-Jacquard ever AGAIN.
Finally, the kosode (over-kimono) had to be hemmed, as it was too long now as well. It was ALSO jacquard-woven polyester, in a different pattern. Hemming wasn't bad, as I didn't cut anything, just folded over and machine-sewed it down. I was not hand-sewing the damn thing this time.
But, MamaSan is happy, she looks very nice in her turquoise kimono w/purple iridescent chrysanthemums, tied with a purple obi multi-color butterflies to match her kosode.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

NOW -- have completed 5 scroll blanks, needed for the end of April for the Final Court of Ichijo and Ceridwen, and the First Court of Cunneda II and Alana II

May need to make more :(