Three video game developers independently accused of sexual assault in one day.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Three video game developers independently accused of sexual assault in one day.

Post by Ralin »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-16 11:40pm

But now that you mention it, if your reaction to someone telling you that a coworker has raped them is to pass it along with other gossip rather than at minimum going to HR or the possibly the police, then it tells me you don't take the accusation seriously at all.
Unless they, I dunno, refused to do so because they thought (probably accurately) it wouldn't help and might lead to retaliation but they still wanted to get the word out to warn others. Which is how whispers and backchannels usually work, pinhead.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Three video game developers independently accused of sexual assault in one day.

Post by madd0ct0r »

"Hes a bit handsey"

"Nice guy until he gets a drink in him. Best keep sophia off that same table after last year"

"The official from the supervisory organization is coming to talk to the brownie pack girls? Make sure he is not left alone with the girls"

I have heard the last one.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Where i was leading with my example Ralin, is that the rumourmill was insufficient evidence to report him to anything. Extraordinary claims need evidence.
At the same time the risk has an unknown probability and a very high consequence, so acting as through the rumour is true but unprovable is best way to act for the girls you are responsible for.

I think it does not tie directly into a line that twitter mobs are better, but id take the present situation over the one two decades ago.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ralin wrote: 2019-09-17 12:05amUnless they, I dunno, refused to do so because they thought (probably accurately) it wouldn't help and might lead to retaliation but they still wanted to get the word out to warn others. Which is how whispers and backchannels usually work, pinhead.
I'm not talking about their actions, numbnuts -I'm talking about YOURS. Someone comes up to you and tells you they were raped and you want to treat it like it's the equivalent of hearing that one employee is trying to pick another up? Just because the alleged victim won't go to HR or the authorities doesn't mean YOU can't.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

IIRC one of those networks was what helped people know to stay away from Mark Halperin at MSNBC.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-17 03:17pm I'm not talking about their actions, numbnuts -I'm talking about YOURS. Someone comes up to you and tells you they were raped and you want to treat it like it's the equivalent of hearing that one employee is trying to pick another up? Just because the alleged victim won't go to HR or the authorities doesn't mean YOU can't.
Because reporting something like that when they've decided it isn't worth it or is too dangerous isn't arrogant and harmful and a betrayal of trust. You idiot.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Ralin wrote: 2019-09-17 06:46pmBecause reporting something like that when they've decided it isn't worth it or is too dangerous isn't arrogant and harmful and a betrayal of trust. You idiot.
The only "betrayal of trust" would be in not alerting someone who is in a position to do something about a rapist being on the job. Or do you think it's a good idea to leave other employees exposed to a possible violent attack?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-17 09:58pm
The only "betrayal of trust" would be in not alerting someone who is in a position to do something about a rapist being on the job. Or do you think it's a good idea to leave other employees exposed to a possible violent attack?
Substituting your judgment over a victim's for whether publicly accusing their attacker will cause them more harm than good or have any chance of seeing them arrested or ousted (protip, it won't) is horribly irresponsible and a betrayal of trust if someone tells you about it in confidence, you cretin. You are making a very good case for why no one should trust you in that situation.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-17 09:58pm
Ralin wrote: 2019-09-17 06:46pmBecause reporting something like that when they've decided it isn't worth it or is too dangerous isn't arrogant and harmful and a betrayal of trust. You idiot.
Do you think you're better placed to determine if a victim is likely to face serious reprisals than they are?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Effie wrote: 2019-09-12 08:33am
Tiriol wrote: 2019-09-12 02:11am
Effie wrote: 2019-09-11 07:25pm

One doesn't fix faulty systems by simply applying to them and doing nothing else. One way that one could fix a faulty system is to put pressure on it from the outside.

It's not a red herring because the point is that the police neglect cases of rape and sexual assault and so relying on them for justice is fundamentally a failure.

Of course, you reject the feminist structural analysis of power, by suggesting men don't have any power from their gender, so it is not surprising that you make a response like this. I'm just curious why you're so sloppy as to admit to being an anti-feminist while trying to lecture people on how to do feminism.
Where did Vendetta admit being anti-feminist and where did he lecture people on how to do feminism?

However, the court of public opinion is still a horrifying thing. It's also fickle: people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are still admired and find work, while someone who is not so adored could lose everything (including familial ties) because the public opinion has judged him or her to be at fault.
Okay. Here's the thing. If your family is abandoning you over a public accusation, that's probably because they find the accusation credible.
Quite frankly people believe stupid shit all the time. Even if the accusation is not credible. "Oh, it must be because they find the accusation credible, your fault really!" is a terrible defense for a mob justice. I find it as abhorrent as US public sexual predator lists where one can end up due to urinating in public.

As for your strange attack on Vendetta, Vendetta dealt with it. Plus my point clearly sailed over your head concerning Polanski and Allen: your "court of public opinion"/"mob justice" has been unable to deal any serious blow to them even with all the accusations while others are raked over coals (several people whom GamerGate attacked, for example) with almost no evidence to no evidence whatsoever.

I want to held people accountable. One way is to boycott companies, directors, actors etc. But just going straight to "system doesn't work, hence we must work outside the system via public shaming, damned be the consequences!" isn't the best way. It can and it has backfired, because quite frankly the troglodytes, Neo-Nazis etc. can also use it and they are much more direct with it.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

loomer wrote: 2019-09-17 10:33pmDo you think you're better placed to determine if a victim is likely to face serious reprisals than they are?
If I honest to goodness think a coworker or anyone else at work has been physically attacked by someone (be it rape, beating, stabbing, shooting) or is in danger of being attacked, I would definitely trust my own judgement and go to security, management or the police (or all three) because at that point more than one person is in danger, now aren't they? I have had to do so in the past (along with other coworkers in a case involving domestic abuse, not rape) and according to the police officers who arrested our coworker's psycho ex-boyfriend in the parking lot for violating a restraining order and bringing a gun to an airport, we might very well have saved her life and possibly others -including ourselves. So yes, I trust my own judgement -and at the risk of blowing my own horn, friends, employees and management trust my judgement too because I'm willing to say something when others aren't.

I take rape and other violent attacks seriously. This is in contrast to some other posters on this site who can't hold their own in a discussion and try to compensate by flinging around bogus charges of rape or the epithet "rape apologist" to make up for this obvious shortcoming.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Like Lenny and Squiggie, describe them and they appear almost instantly! :lol:

Considering this coworker has been a good friend of mine for almost twenty years now, helped look after me when I was unable to walk after a car wreck, used to sing Happy Birthday to me like Marilyn Monroe and showed me her boobs twice, I'd say she didn't have a problem. Maybe I'll ask her next time we talk and let you know -seeing as how you and that other little prick have such a morbid obsession on the subject. By the way, if you think I'm such an awful person, why the fuck are DOZENS of PMs in my inbox from you ("Elfdart, what do you think of this?")? Strange that you think I'm a "pervert" but keep trying to hump my leg via PM.

What's really funny is that the whole reason Stark went digging for that post, which was a couple of years old at the time, is that I called him a troll when he was shitting up a thread about a lunatic who had just shot a bunch of kids in a movie theater. Now you and the other piece of shit seek to follow in Stark's footsteps, and for the same reason.

Go fuck yourself.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Those pms were from a while ago. I haven pmed you in at least a year.

Also you can be a smart guy. But you do somewhat come across as sexist at times.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-18 09:49pmBy the way, if you think I'm such an awful person, why the fuck are DOZENS of PMs in my inbox from you ("Elfdart, what do you think of this?")? Strange that you think I'm a "pervert" but keep trying to hump my leg via PM.
He did that to you too, huh?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-18 08:44pm
loomer wrote: 2019-09-17 10:33pmDo you think you're better placed to determine if a victim is likely to face serious reprisals than they are?
If I honest to goodness think a coworker or anyone else at work has been physically attacked by someone (be it rape, beating, stabbing, shooting) or is in danger of being attacked, I would definitely trust my own judgement and go to security, management or the police (or all three) because at that point more than one person is in danger, now aren't they? I have had to do so in the past (along with other coworkers in a case involving domestic abuse, not rape) and according to the police officers who arrested our coworker's psycho ex-boyfriend in the parking lot for violating a restraining order and bringing a gun to an airport, we might very well have saved her life and possibly others -including ourselves. So yes, I trust my own judgement -and at the risk of blowing my own horn, friends, employees and management trust my judgement too because I'm willing to say something when others aren't.

I take rape and other violent attacks seriously. This is in contrast to some other posters on this site who can't hold their own in a discussion and try to compensate by flinging around bogus charges of rape or the epithet "rape apologist" to make up for this obvious shortcoming.
I think we all know that was meant as a shot at me, and I'd appreciate it if you had the guts to name me, rather than trying to hide your vendetta-posting behind a transparent veil.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-18 10:38pm
Elfdart wrote: 2019-09-18 09:49pmBy the way, if you think I'm such an awful person, why the fuck are DOZENS of PMs in my inbox from you ("Elfdart, what do you think of this?")? Strange that you think I'm a "pervert" but keep trying to hump my leg via PM.
Cute. It's been a while since I've done that. I was in a rut for a while mentally. I've gotten more confident in myself since then and don't really do it as much. That Elfdart can be smart doesn't change that he's also kind of a douchebag (downplaying that Julian Assange was likely a rapist)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-09-18 10:38pm
And like a complete schmuck I made the mistake of responding to some of them, which only encouraged more. :banghead:
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-09-19 01:04amI think we all know that was meant as a shot at me, and I'd appreciate it if you had the guts to name me, rather than trying to hide your vendetta-posting behind a transparent veil.
I realize that as SDN's resident drama queen, you think everything is about you, but in point of fact I was referring to another poster. Now that you mention it, if the shoe fits...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh, no, not everything's about me. But its still vendetta-ish posting either way.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Effie
Youngling

Post by Effie »

Hold on. Is someone here saying that him sexually harassing a woman by coming up with excuses to stare at her breasts is OK because she actually liked it? What in the actual fuck.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Yup. But its ok folks, apparently. Not wrong.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Pretty much. In hindsight elfdart’s views on women have always been rather mixed; a lot of his earlier comments didn’t raise my alarm because I never thought about them. No that I have it’s apparent that he’s a bit of a perverted creep

Yeah I did pm you for a while. I’ve moved on since then. I’m more confident in myself and my views so I don’t feel the need to. It happens. That you also displayed some fairly disgusting views (defending Assange and downplaying that he’s a rapist) helps as well.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Effie wrote: 2019-09-19 12:58pm Hold on. Is someone here saying that him sexually harassing a woman by coming up with excuses to stare at her breasts is OK because she actually liked it? What in the actual fuck.
No, he's saying that his bragging about it was okay and not creepy because he left out the fact that she's his pal and is totally okay with showing him her titties.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Effie wrote: 2019-09-19 12:58pm Hold on. Is someone here saying that him sexually harassing a woman by coming up with excuses to stare at her breasts is OK because she actually liked it?
No.
Ralin wrote: 2019-09-19 07:57pmNo, he's saying that his bragging about it was okay and not creepy because he left out the fact that she's his pal and is totally okay with showing him her titties.
What are you, my fucking biographer? I didn't realize I somehow owed you the time of day, let alone the complete story. I also didn't realize a humorous anecdote I wrote about eight years ago regarding something that happened eighteen years ago was so interesting for the neo-AYVB. I am amused to be called a "pervert" by fucktards who hang on every word and are obsessed with my relationship with a woman to the point that they bring it up in stalker fashion multiple threads when they have no other argument.
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-09-19 03:19pmYeah I did pm you for a while. I’ve moved on since then. I’m more confident in myself and my views so I don’t feel the need to. It happens.
Judging from how fixated you are on the fact that I looked at women's breasts during Dubya's first term (You might want to sit down when I give you the shocking news that I've done it since then and I've also checked out women's asses), I'd say moving on is not your strong suit.

Oh, and bitch you need to stop lying. Your last PM to me was in March. So unless there were some radical changes to the calendar that I'm unaware of, that is less than a year or so ago.