Matrix 4 confirmed, Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss returning.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Matrix 4 confirmed, Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss returning.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://yahoo.com/news/matrix-4-officia ... 07558.html
Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last of couple years to find a way to get back into “The Matrix” universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed the project down. Over the past couple of months, the studio saw an opportunity to ramp up development, with Reeves boasting a strong summer that included box office hits “John Wick 3” and “Toy Story 4″ and a script from Wachowski that drummed up excitement.

Plot details are currently unknown, as is how the role of Morpheus will be handled, originally played by Laurence Fishburne. Some sources say the role may be recast for a younger take.

The three previous films —“The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.
You feel that? Its the internet exploding in a 100 teraton blast of pure nerd rage. :D

Now, as I've probably made clear, I am NOT a part of the knee-jerk "sequels suck" crowd. Heck, I don't even particularly dislike the later Matrix films. But I'm kind of baffled by how this is going to work. Because last I checked, Neo was dead/maybe one with the Matrix, and Trinity was dead by impalement. And the actors are kind of old for a prequel, though I suppose a reboot is possible, especially if they're talking about a younger Morpheus (I can't think why else they would- its not like Fishburne is deceased or something- I actually Googled it after reading this just in case I'd somehow missed the news of his passing). But there's not really any plot information yet.

There's also the issue with the Matrix having gotten some flack years ago for supposedly "inspiring" the Columbine shootings, so with gun violence still a headline issue and the Republican White Supremacist Party desperately looking for scapegoats other than white supremacy or guns, this film's not going to be emerging into the most welcoming political environment, either. Though it might actually find a more welcoming audience from the Left in the current environment as a result.

It could work. I hope it works. But it still seems like an odd choice to bring back right now.

That said, the Matrix sequels' pop culture status as Worst Sequels Ever That Aren't Star Wars Movies is kind of inflated. Both films turned a handsome profit at the box office, and while the third films' is much lower, the second has a score of 73% on Rotten Tomatoes. So the perception that the films were widely unpopular is probably just another case of trolling by a vocal minority dominating the discussion, plus the fact that the first one set such a high bar for them to live up to.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Matrix 4 confirmed, Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss returning.

Post by Khaat »

I'm curious to see where they go, since (Reeves) and (Moss) are among the dead at the end, and (Fishburne) is the only one standing but isn't on the list to come back.
I was flying a wild hypothesis yesterday when I heard this, that the finale of Revolutions was all just a simulation in a simulation ("Matrix, meet Inception, Inception, Matrix"), and the machines finally conceded that the Iteration Bump wasn't a viable solution after five iterations, so they were actually-for-reals going to pop some humans out and work with them. Optional: Except on another planet! What a twist!

And because the "copper-top thing" is stupid for a stupid audience. Just a guess, but algae would probably be more efficient and less troublesome than human podsicles.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Khaat wrote: 2019-08-21 10:46am I'm curious to see where they go, since (Reeves) and (Moss) are among the dead at the end, and (Fishburne) is the only one standing but isn't on the list to come back.
I was flying a wild hypothesis yesterday when I heard this, that the finale of Revolutions was all just a simulation in a simulation ("Matrix, meet Inception, Inception, Matrix"), and the machines finally conceded that the Iteration Bump wasn't a viable solution after five iterations, so they were actually-for-reals going to pop some humans out and work with them. Optional: Except on another planet! What a twist!

And because the "copper-top thing" is stupid for a stupid audience. Just a guess, but algae would probably be more efficient and less troublesome than human podsicles.
That would work, yeah.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Matrix Online was treated as an official continuation of the movies. (Yeah I know it's scrapped)

In it, it was strongly hinted that Neo had survived, and possibly Trinity as well. There were also the odd hints that Agent Smith was still active, just not nearly as possible.

To save Trinity, all you have to do is have machines show up just after Neo leaves the crashed ship, and perform surgery on her (or connect to her and download her).
To save Neo, he has to have been knocked out, not dead.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-08-21 05:10pm The Matrix Online was treated as an official continuation of the movies. (Yeah I know it's scrapped)

In it, it was strongly hinted that Neo had survived, and possibly Trinity as well. There were also the odd hints that Agent Smith was still active, just not nearly as possible.

To save Trinity, all you have to do is have machines show up just after Neo leaves the crashed ship, and perform surgery on her (or connect to her and download her).
To save Neo, he has to have been knocked out, not dead.
Well, Neo pretty emphatically was dead at the end of the film, I thought. Then again, he is basically a Christ-figure. Resurrection and immortality is a standard part of the package.

I'll give them a pass on Trinity. I'm guessing the machines' medical capabilities are beyond those of modern medicine. Have to keep their batteries in good condition, after all. :wink:

I'm actually kind of surprised now that part of Neo's deal with the Matrix in film three didn't include a Save Trinity For Me Clause in exchange for dealing with Smith.

I haven't played the game, but it would be interesting to know how much, if anything, the new film follows it.

Here's a thought for Morpheus: if this is a sequel, and if they can't get Fishburn back, rather than recasting the role or rebooting with a young Morpheus (which would be an odd choice for the Old Mentor role), have a new character who's Morpheus's son, and do a role-reversal: Neo is now the wise old mentor training the young son of his former mentor.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I really hope the machines remain the superior military power in every way by the end of the new movies, and that the peace between machines and man actually works out. I enjoyed that optimistic ending, and it was nice to have a major motion picture where the antagonists remain the superior military force at the end and don't suffer a complete cliché reversal.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote: 2019-08-22 09:31am I really hope the machines remain the superior military power in every way by the end of the new movies, and that the peace between machines and man actually works out. I enjoyed that optimistic ending, and it was nice to have a major motion picture where the antagonists remain the superior military force at the end and don't suffer a complete cliché reversal.
If the peace holds, who are the bad guys? Rogue machines and/or humans who refuse to accept the truce? Having it be human villains who refuse to accept the ceasefire would be an interesting reversal, except that it has the unfortunate subtext that comes with placing the former oppressed minority that rebelled against the system in the role of the villains. Except from what I recall of the backstory, the machines were originally the oppressed underclass until they overthrew the humans? Maybe explore that angle further as well?

Maybe have a plot about trying to find a way to get rid of whatever they did that blocked the Sun, so Earth is actually habitable to large numbers of humans living outside the Matrix again?

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

If there's one thing I don't doubt about the Wachowskis it's that they are the kind who might take a blockbuster and make something cerebral but also kind of hit and miss; I'd be impressed if they did a movie about undoing Dark Storm with both sides working together, but I think there would be an impetus to involve the actual matrix more; ultimately the further the movies go the less the films could actually be about the matrix unless things return to hostility. But I would enjoy something about the environment, for sure.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

While they’re at it maybe they could relearn the benefits of generating electricity from, well, pretty much anything else?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote: 2019-08-22 10:15am If there's one thing I don't doubt about the Wachowskis it's that they are the kind who might take a blockbuster and make something cerebral but also kind of hit and miss; I'd be impressed if they did a movie about undoing Dark Storm with both sides working together, but I think there would be an impetus to involve the actual matrix more; ultimately the further the movies go the less the films could actually be about the matrix unless things return to hostility. But I would enjoy something about the environment, for sure.
Which is why I think the logical course, without reverting to the status quo, is to have the peace hold and have it be human and machine heroes working together against radical elements who want to disrupt the peace and reignite the war, with a plot of fixing the Dark Storm going on in the background (which would be a big thing for humans who want to go to the "real world" vs those who want to go on living in the Matrix).

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Also, if Dark Storm had occurred 500-ish years before the current date, the planet's biosphere should be dead. Not dying, not dormant, completely dead. I honestly don't know how you go about fixing that, even if you clear the nanobots from the atmosphere. Hope the Svalbard global seed vault is still around?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-08-23 10:04am Also, if Dark Storm had occurred 500-ish years before the current date, the planet's biosphere should be dead. Not dying, not dormant, completely dead.
Microbes and such excluded, yeah.
I honestly don't know how you go about fixing that, even if you clear the nanobots from the atmosphere. Hope the Svalbard global seed vault is still around?
Any surviving seed vaults, yeah, plus lots and lots of cloning of extinct life forms from preserved remains, I'm guessing.

ThatOneCatC
Redshirt

Post by ThatOneCatC »

Or that the original trilogy is nothing more than another nested reality used to maximize the biological energies of “malcontents”. Having a confined and controlled space to give a layered illusion of reality for those who reject the higher layers of the matrix. None was real at all. The program is always in control. Give “reality” with prophecy and just enough metaphysical magic that allows the biological systems to maximize their efforts to beat it which just feeds more energy to the system as a whole. Why waste resources.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Didn't that old lady program tell the lil girl they'd see Trinity and Neo again?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Khaat wrote: 2019-08-21 10:46am ...
That was my theory back between Reloaded and Revolutions... that the "real world" was just another layer of the Matrix and that the Architects statement of humans needing choice was a false choice. You give the human minds the choice of being in the Matrix and knowing ... or not ... but it's irrelevant because they're already in regardless, just some people think they aren't and everyone else know's no better.

Very much like the film The 13th Floor.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.