Israel bars Congresswomen Omar and Tlaib from entering the country, at the request of the Trump Regime.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Israel bars Congresswomen Omar and Tlaib from entering the country, at the request of the Trump Regime.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://theguardian.com/us-news/live/20 ... st-updates
Here’s where the day stands so far:

Most of today’s news cycle has focused on Israel’s decision to block two progressive congresswomen, Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar, from entering the country. The move was announced shortly after Trump said in a tweet that allowing the lawmakers to visit would show “great weakness.”
Israel’s decision was quickly denounced by many Democratic lawmakers and even a few Republicans. House speaker Nancy Pelosi said she was “deeply saddened” by the news.
The two congresswomen affected by the decision also weighed in, with Omar calling it “an affront” and Tlaib arguing the move was “a sign of weakness.”
In other news, the House judiciary committee has subpoenaed two former Trump aides, former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and former White House official Rick Dearborn.
Former Colorado governor John Hickenlooper dropped out of the presidential race, but he left the door opening to challenging Republican Senator Cory Gardner next year.
Maanvi will be covering more fallout from Israel’s decision and Trump’s rally in New Hampshire tonight, so stay tuned.
Ocasio-Cortez also responded by saying that she would not visit Israel until all members of Congress were permitted to do so.

I'll just copy the response I posted on a Democratic Party Facebook page today:

Far from being "pro-Israel", Trump and Netanyahu's actions have done tremendous harm to Israel. In the past, both major parties in the US could generally be counted on to support Israel. Oh, the Democrats might question certain Israeli policies more, and there was a small anti-Israel fringe in both parties (hard-line progressives on the Left, Neo-Nazis on the Right), but at the end of the day, both parties could be counted on to have Israel's back when the chips were down. Not any more. By tying support for Israel so closely with partisan support for Trump and Trumpism, they have made Israel an avowed enemy of the Democratic Party. This was not a fight that the Democrats chose. It was a decision made by the Neo-Fascists Trump and Netanyahu. Maybe Netanyahu is counting on Trump successfully making himself dictator for life, but otherwise, his actions have basically guaranteed that America's relationship with Israel will become much rockier the moment Trump leaves office. America's support for Israel is now increasingly becoming a partisan issue, and the moment Trump is out of office, there will be hell to pay- not because Democrats or progressives hate Jews (we don't), but because the current government of Israel (which does not represent the wishes or beliefs of all the Jewish people, however much Netanyahu might wish it did) has openly sided with Trumpian Neo-Fascism, and made the Democratic Party its enemy. Worse, they have sided here with Trump on an issue which has come to be one of the main symbols of his overt white supremacy (his persecution of female Congresswomen of color), in a time when that same white supremacy has contributed to multiple acts of domestic terrorism and mass murder in the US. I trust that Democratic leadership will not forget that when it comes time to reevaluate our relationship with Israel following the 2020 elections. If you ask me, turnabout is fair play: the US should bar Israeli legislators loyal to Netanyahu from entering America on the grounds that they support an anti-American extremist agenda (Trumpian neo-fascism and white supremacy).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Israel bars Congresswomen Omar and Tlaib from entering the country, at the request of the Trump Regime.

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am hoping this doesn't break the IvP rule but....

The title is a bit deceptive. The conclusion is the makers of the video don't know whether Tlaib supports terrorism, but she clearly associates with those who do. And when I say associate, I don't mean just being acquantainces.

Some of Tlaib's friends and people who helped her get elected sure love posting antisemitic content on social media, some of them advocating murder of Israelis.

After seeing this information, I would be weary of letting Tlaib into Israel as well, and I am not even a fan of the current Israeli government. To be fair I am not a fan of the PLO or Hamas either.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Israel bars Congresswomen Omar and Tlaib from entering the country, at the request of the Trump Regime.

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-16 02:04am I am hoping this doesn't break the IvP rule but....

The title is a bit deceptive. The conclusion is the makers of the video don't know whether Tlaib supports terrorism, but she clearly associates with those who do. And when I say associate, I don't mean just being acquantainces.
I very much doubt Trump would pass up the chance to have her arrested or investigated if there were credible evidence of her being a terrorist or committing a crime.
Some of Tlaib's friends and people who helped her get elected sure love posting antisemitic content on social media, some of them advocating murder of Israelis.
Its dangerous to start condemning people purely on association. Everybody knows some assholes. Everybody has some friends who are assholes. I have a cousin who's a Libertarian Trump apologist who associates with white supremacists. So while there are circumstances where I would condemn someone on association, I tend to reserve that for very extreme cases. Hell, there are plenty of people on this board who have advocated political violence in various situations.

Its even more the case when you're a high-level politician: associating with awful people is part of the job, especially when dealing with foreign policy.

Has Tlaib advocated the murder of Israelis? If so, don't just ban her from Israel, lock her in prison, by all means. But has she done so? Has she committed any crime at all? You haven't shown that. Even your video does not conclude that she supports terrorism, by your own acknowledgement.

Remember that Republicans used these same "terrorist by association" tactics on Barack Obama, who as President was about as Centrist politically as they get.
I would be leery of letting Tlaib into Israel as well, and I am not even a fan of the current Israeli government. To be fair I am not a fan of the PLO or Hamas either.
How about the fact that Trump has been persistently targeting these two members of Congress who happen to be women of colour and political opponents of his, and that Israel appears to be acting at least partly at his behest? And that Israel's government has just massively pissed off the entire Democratic Party and even a few Republicans who still possess at least vestigial consciences, which will probably hurt Israel far more in the long run than letting Tlaib in ever could?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That said, at least as much blame should fall on Trump as on Israel. He's the one who egged on a foreign government to do his cracking down on dissidents for him.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

1. Trump is a racist and a misogynist. No argument there. EDIT - yes he has targeted certain congresswomen on account of their ethnicity which is obscene.

2. Netayahu is trying to make support of Israel more partisan. Well he has been doing that since the Obama government, and that strategy is high risk for Israel. I agree with your analysis.

3. Lets be fair in regards to barring people from the country. The UK barred right wing provocateurs Lauren Southern and Stefan Molyneux who lets face it, make videos which white supremacists love but whose association with white supremacists probably ONLY go as far as meeting them in conferences, but aren't friends with them. Don't get me wrong, that's pretty bad in my book, but Tlaib has these antisemitic people working on her election campaign as opposed to just seeing them at conferences.

4. I agree that barring Tlaib may cause a bigger problem for Israel down the track than not barring her, but I will add the proviso that I will have to wait and see given the US history of overlooking a lot of what Israel does.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-16 02:35am 1. Trump is a racist and a misogynist. No argument there.

2. Netayahu is trying to make support of Israel more partisan. Well he has been doing that since the Obama government, and that strategy is high risk for Israel. I agree with your analysis.

3. Lets be fair in regards to barring people from the country. The UK barred right wing provocateurs Lauren Southern and Stefan Molyneux who lets face it, make videos which white supremacists love but whose association with white supremacists probably ONLY go as far as meeting them in conferences, but aren't friends with them. Don't get me wrong, that's pretty bad in my book, but Tlaib has these antisemitic people working on her election campaign as opposed to just seeing them at conferences.

4. I agree that barring Tlaib may cause a bigger problem for Israel down the track than not barring her, but I will add the proviso that I will have to wait and see given the US history of overlooking a lot of what Israel does.
I do accept that a government has a right (and even a responsibility) to bar certain people from the country for their actions. Whether Tlaib reaches that threshold based on her actions is something I'll reserve judgement on. But barring a sitting Congressperson, who likely has legitimate reasons to visit as part of their job (IIRC Tlaib also has Palestinian family), is a step that should be taken very carefully, due to the potential political backlash.

I'm also viewing this in the context of Trump's ongoing racist, despotic attacks on opposition politicians including Tlaib, his close political ties with Netanyahu, and Netanyahu's history of political interference in favor of the Republican Party.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

So trump benefits since he want to keep omar and talib and others as the most visible face of the democrat party to keep his base outraged abd active.

Netanyahu benefits by making israelis feel even more isolated and reliant on the Israel far right's persobal support by the usa's far right. (Rather then israelis feeling supported by America generally).

I wonder how the mossad et al groups see this development? Its only good if you are very pessimistic about the future.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not an Israeli here, nor an expert on their country (though I wonder what Ace might have to say), but I would tend to think that any state agencies are mostly going to shrug over this. In terms of their actual jobs, this is really only the purview of Israel's equivalent of the State Department; Mossad or any other intelligence agencies will probably be quite capable of assessing whether there is any actual security issue with these Congresswomen visiting Israel and will advise thereof... if asked.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

This is where it gets interesting...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/af ... story.html
Rep. Tlaib says she will not go to Israel after the country initially rejected her request for a visit, then reversed course

By Ruth Eglash ,
James McAuley and
John Wagner
August 16 at 2:34 PM

JERUSALEM — Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) said Friday that she would not travel to Israel under “oppressive conditions” to see her 90-year-old grandmother after the Israeli government reversed course and said it would allow her to make the trip.

After initially banning her and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) from entering the country, Israel relented earlier Friday in response to a request from Tlaib to see her grandmother, who lives in the occupied West Bank, during a four-day trip planned for next week.

Hours later, Tlaib said she had decided not to travel to Israel under conditions that would have included a pledge in writing not to “promote boycotts against Israel” while there.

In a statement, Tlaib said the Israeli government had taken advantage of her personal situation.

“The Israeli government used my love and desire to see my grandmother to silence me and made my ability to do so contingent upon my signing a letter — reflecting just how undemocratic and afraid they are of the truth my trip would reveal about what is happening in the State of Israel and to Palestinians living under occupation with United States support,” the lawmaker wrote.

She said visiting her family under such “oppressive conditions meant to humiliate me would break my grandmother’s heart.”

Tlaib had initially hoped to arrive in Israel on Sunday with Omar on a trip focused mainly on viewing the impact of recent U.S. policies and aid cuts on Palestinians.

Israel’s decision to prevent their entry for that trip immediately drew widespread criticism from Democratic lawmakers and American Jewish organizations, including the staunchly pro-Israel lobby AIPAC, with some critics saying it set a new, unfortunate precedent for U.S.-Israel relations.

On Friday, after Israel announced Tlaib was welcome to visit her grandmother but before she declined, AIPAC shared a tweet saying, “We commend the Israeli government for permitting Congresswoman Tlaib to visit her grandmother.”

[Meet Rashida Tlaib’s grandma: ‘Who wouldn’t be proud of a granddaughter like that?’]

Israel’s Interior Minister Aryeh Deri, who approved an overnight request from Tlaib on Friday to visit based on humanitarian grounds, called Tlaib’s decision not to visit a provocation.

“Last night, she sent me a letter asking to allow her to visit her 90-year-old grandmother ‘because this could be my last chance to meet her,’ ” Deri said. “I approved it for humanitarian reason, but it turns out that it was a provocation to embarrass Israel. Her hatred for Israel overcomes her love for her grandmother.”

In her letter to Deri, Tlaib asked to be allowed to visit Israel “in order to visit my relatives, and specifically my grandmother who is in her 90s.”

The congresswoman wrote that it “would be my last opportunity to see her.” She also pledged to “respect any restrictions and will not promote boycotts against Israel during my visit.”

Tlaib’s grandmother, Muftiyah Tlaib, lives in the West Bank village of Beit Ur Al-Fauqa, in the same limestone house she has lived in since 1974. On Friday morning, she expressed disappointment that her granddaughter’s visit was interrupted and then postponed.

“If they prevent her from entering, what can we do?” she told The Washington Post, seated in her living room. “We can’t force them to let her in, so what can we do?”

“She’s in a big position and she cannot visit her grandmother,” Muftiyah Tlaib said, laughing. “So what good is the position?”

[Israel denies entry to Reps. Omar and Tlaib hours after Trump’s push for a ban]

In a tweet Friday morning, Omar expressed “strength and solidarity” with Tlaib. In November, they became the first two Muslim women elected to Congress.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called Israel’s move to bar the lawmakers “deeply disappointing,” and House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.), who lobbied Israeli officials Wednesday to allow them to make a trip, called it “outrageous.”

The decision to ban the two Muslim lawmakers followed a rare intervention by President Trump, who tweeted Thursday that approving their visit would “show great weakness.” He also said that Omar and Tlaib “hate Israel & all Jewish people, & there is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds.”

Hoyer issued a fresh statement Friday afternoon saying that he was not aware of any member of Congress previously being asked to agree to preconditions to visit Israel.

“Not only was this request disrespectful of Rep. Tlaib but of the United States Congress as well,” Hoyer said. “This matter is a self-inflicted wound by one of America’s closest allies, one of our closest friends, and a vibrant democracy. President Trump’s urging of such action and its implementation were — and are — unacceptable.”

Justifying the decision, Netanyahu said in a statement that “Tlaib and Omar are leading activists in promoting the legislation of boycotts against Israel in the American Congress.”

“As a free and vibrant democracy, Israel is open to critics and criticism, with one exception: Israeli law prohibits the entry into Israel of those who call for and work to impose boycotts on Israel, as do other democracies that prohibit the entry of people who seek to harm the country,” he said.

Tlaib and Omar have said their criticism of the Israeli government is based on policy differences and have repeatedly denied harboring any animus toward Jews or Israelis. Both have voiced support for a boycott movement against Israel to oppose the treatment of Palestinians.

In 2017, Israel passed legislation banning entry to activists who actively promote the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement, which has found growing support in Europe and the United States in recent years.

Trump has taken repeated aim in recent months at Tlaib, Omar and two other minority congresswomen collectively known as “the Squad” on Capitol Hill, accusing them of anti-Semitism and other transgressions. Last month, he tweeted that the four freshman lawmakers should “go back” to the “totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

Only one, Omar, was born outside the United States, and she became a U.S. citizen in 2000.

Last month, Israel’s ambassador to the United States, Ron Dermer, said Tlaib and Omar would be allowed to visit Israel “out of respect for the U.S. Congress and the great alliance between Israel and America.”

A senior White House official said that Trump never directly told Netanyahu to prohibit the visit but that the president’s views were clearly conveyed to the Israeli government.

With three weeks to go before Israelis hold a repeat election Sept. 17, Netanyahu is fighting a bitter battle to stay in office. Banning Tlaib and Omar is an appealing move for his right-wing base.

His statement on the decision, however, made no mention of pressure from Trump, focusing instead on the proposed itinerary, that their “sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel’s legitimacy.”

“For instance: they listed the destination of their trip as Palestine and not Israel, and unlike all Democratic and Republican members of Congress who have visited Israel, they did not request to meet any Israeli officials, either from the government or the opposition,” said Netanyahu’s statement.

It has since been revealed that they were slated to meet with an Israeli Arab lawmaker, Knesset member Aida Touma-Souleman, but the bulk of the trip — organized by Miftah, a nonprofit organization headed by Palestinian lawmaker and longtime peace negotiator Hanan Ashrawi — was to be centered in the Palestinian territories and in East Jerusalem.

The two were also slated to visit the city’s flash point holy site, called the Haram al-Sharif by Muslims and the Temple Mount by Jews.

In a series of tweets Friday afternoon, Omar detailed what she had hoped to see while on the trip, which included a planned stop in Hebron, a city in the southern West Bank.

“Once a bustling economic hub, settlement expansion has resulted in a two-tiered city, with Palestinians under military occupation forced to walk on the opposite side of the street from Israelis,” Omar wrote.

More broadly, she said, “This was not the first trip of its kind. … Other Members of Congress have done similar trips.”
Summary. Israel had an existing law on the books which says no, you can't visit there if you're going to promote certain causes. Tlaib has been known to support those causes, but they were willing to waive that ban provided she was only there to visit her grandmother and not to engage in any political activities while she was there. At which point Tlaib cancelled her visit.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That complicates things a little, but it seems odd to tell a sitting member of Congress "You can only visit the country for personal reasons, not political ones". Politics is kind of their job.
madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-08-16 09:10am So trump benefits since he want to keep omar and talib and others as the most visible face of the democrat party to keep his base outraged abd active.

Netanyahu benefits by making israelis feel even more isolated and reliant on the Israel far right's persobal support by the usa's far right. (Rather then israelis feeling supported by America generally).

I wonder how the mossad et al groups see this development? Its only good if you are very pessimistic about the future.
Both of those things could backfire hard, though. This shit also energizes the Democratic base, and keeps Trump's white supremacy front and center. While Netanyahu, as I noted above, is inflicting long-term damage on the US/Israeli relationship, which is now likely to be strong only for as long as the Trumpers are in power, because he's tied Israel so closely to Trumpism.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Bernie Sanders has it right, as usual:

Bernie Sanders To Israel: Ban Our Lawmakers? Then Don’t Take Our Money
The Democratic presidential candidate said Israel’s decision to ban Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entry is “clearly an outrage.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has suggested Israel should now decline the billions of dollars it receives in U.S. aid in the wake of its ban on Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) from entering the country.

“I wish I could tell you that I am shocked, I am not,” the Democratic presidential candidate said on Thursday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “All In” about Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s decision to bar the lawmakers, which was encouraged and supported by U.S. President Donald Trump.

The Muslim congresswomen, who are members of “the Squad” that Trump has feuded with in recent weeks, had planned to highlight the plight of Palestinians on their trip. They were barred over their support for the global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

“We have a president who tragically is a racist, is a xenophobe and who is a religious bigot,” said Sanders. “But the idea that a member of the United States Congress cannot visit a nation which by the way we support to the tune of billions and billions of dollars, is clearly an outrage.”

“And if Israel doesn’t want members of the United States Congress to visit their country, to get a first-hand look at what’s going on, and I have been there many, many times, but if he doesn’t want members to visit maybe he can respectfully decline the billions of dollars that we give to Israel,” he added.

Sanders also doubled down on his proposal to leverage financial aid the U.S. gives to Israel. “All that I am saying is that we need a Middle East policy which is even-handed, which protects the independence and the safety of Israel, but also shows respect to the Palestinian people, many of whom in Gaza and elsewhere are suffering incredibly,” he explained.

“I think what the United States should be doing, especially with the enormous amounts of money we’re spending there, is to demand that Israel and the Palestinian leadership sit down and start working out their differences and create peace in that troubled region,” Sanders added.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, at least its hard to make the argument that Bernie Sanders is motivated by anti-Semitism, though I'm sure people will try.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-16 02:04am I am hoping this doesn't break the IvP rule but....

After seeing this information, I would be weary of letting Tlaib into Israel as well, and I am not even a fan of the current Israeli government. To be fair I am not a fan of the PLO or Hamas either.
That video is so dishonest, I'm surprised it wasn't distributed by Prager University. First it goes into a long diatribe against Rasmea Odeh on the grounds that she's a "terrorist". What it leaves out is that the "evidence" used to convict her by a military tribunal was produced under torture (which included rape), as her Israeli attorney pointed out back in 1975. Of course bringing up that she was tried in front of some IDF officers and not a civilian court would point out the awkward fact that Odeh was living under military occupation by a foreign army and by law was entitled to resort to armed resistance.

So Tlaib is a Very Bad Person because she's friends with someone who supports a rape/torture victim who was railroaded by a foreign court martial? Bitch, please! Using that standard, a little Google-fu shows that the creators of the video you posted are themselves connected to Britain First, a neo-Nazi group in the UK. In fact, Israel Advocacy Movement posted a video depicting Britain First's Paul Besser as a hero for disrupting a pro-Palestinian march. He's not the only Britain First thug with a violent hate-on for Muslims and the white Christian "traitors" who are too friendly to them: Thomas Mair, who assassinated MP Jo Cox three years ago, was another (He cried "Britain First! Keep Britain independent! Britain always comes first! This is for Britain!" as he stabbed and shot her to death). Oh, and extra sad fuck points for a video calling Carlos Latuff an anti-Semite.
:lol:

The makers of this video aren't the only ones trying to play the guilt by association game when they should know better: David French of National Review crawled out of that open sewer of a magazine to try a similar smear-job on Omar and Tlaib. This little gem has been passed on like swine flu by the usual bullshitters such as Bari Weiss -the twit who was clowned by Joe Rogan a few months back when he wasn't even trying to clown her. French isn't the only scribbler for this white supremacist, pro-Nazi, pro-fascist magazine. John Yoo, the Bush White House lawyer who wrote legal memos endorsing torture -including the crushing of little boys' testicles- is another. So is Kevin Williamson, who called for having millions of American women rounded up and killed for getting abortions. This IS the magazine whose founder vandalized a hotel in Florida for renting to Jews, considered black people sub-human savages too dumb to be allowed to vote, was a crazed fanboy of Francisco Franco, Augusto Pinochet, Jesse Helms, P.W. Botha and Ian Smith; AND came up with a final solution for the AIDS epidemic by calling for gay men to be given Nazi-style tattoos on their asses.

So being accused of bigotry by David French is like being called a pervert by the ghost of Jeffrey Epstein.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This column in The Independent nails it:
If Israel wants to ban antisemites, it should start by banning antisemites

But I also learned how quickly those stories began to change. Right-wing Israeli propaganda made me realise the fragility of solidarity. Fuelled by free trips, organised by apps, and ignited with million-dollar Facebook ad campaigns, the children of those elders, who inherit these stories today, have changed the narrative of us fleeing Soviets to us fleeing the very same Muslims we stood with.

Today, that same propaganda machine has resulted in an Israel where white supremacists and the world’s most infamous anti-semites have been enjoying an open door to the country without much attention, while shaking the earth at the notion of a Palestinian American congresswoman wishing to visit her Palestinian grandmother.

There are few people on this planet with more right to visit the West Bank than a Palestinian, no less one who is a member of an American Congress which doles out seemingly infinite amounts in foreign aid, and enforces its veto power over human rights accountability in the UN.

Yet today, it is antisemites who enjoy unrestricted freedom to travel granted by Israel.

Sebastian Gorka, who wore the honorary medal of Hungarian nationalist organisation Vitezi Rend, a group with alleged historical links to Nazi Germany, visited Israel with no restriction for a conference in 2017. Andras Heisler, vice president of the World Jewish Congress, said at the time that wearing such insignia “isn’t a good message for a democratic society”.

Founder of the Proud Boys, Gavin McInnes, said during his trip to Israel that Jews in Israel have a “whiny paranoid fear of Nazis” and posted an article detailing “10 things I hate about Jews”. McInnes publicly claimed to have left the group in 2018, after the FBI reportedly categorised it “an extremist group with ties to white nationalism”.

Milo Yiannopoulos, following a stunt where he created a mock Western Wall to pray against immigrants, with “ICE” emblazoned on a Jewish kippa, was celebrated by enough Israeli youth that a movement to invite him was sparked by fans.

Modi, the far-right Hindu nationalist PM of India, who oversaw the Gujarat State Board where textbooks glorified Hitler, was a state-honored guest of Israel, along with Italian former fascist sympathiser Gianfranco Fini and far-right leader Matteo Salvini. Antisemitic Hungarian PM Viktor Orban has also been courted by Israeli politicians.
There's more at the link.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The irony that Israeli leadership of all countries is now so closely aligned with a white supremacist President who's supporters include literal neo-Nazis is not lost on me. I guess those who's highest ideal is power really do have no principles, and no allegiances. Or maybe 74 years is long enough to forget.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Latufd kinda is an anti Semite. Some of his cartoons make fair points but he’s a shitbag
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

And now trump is laying claim to title "king of israel".

Which is tying tighter into mad evangelicals, pushing the "israel, you need the usa far right in power to be guaranteed support" narrative and a distraction from something else domestic.
Possibly the israel - talib fight.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-08-22 04:55am And now trump is laying claim to title "king of israel".
Honestly, I think the fact that a lightning bolt didn't smite his ass on the spot is one of the strongest proofs that the Biblical God does not exist.
Which is tying tighter into mad evangelicals, pushing the "israel, you need the usa far right in power to be guaranteed support" narrative and a distraction from something else domestic.
Yeah, a pathological narcissist with nuclear weapons is echoing Biblical apocalypse narratives while casting himself in the role of the Second Coming.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-22 05:00am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-08-22 04:55am And now trump is laying claim to title "king of israel".
Honestly, I think the fact that a lightning bolt didn't smite his ass on the spot is one of the strongest proofs that the Biblical God does not exist.
Unless this is what God wants to happen to bring about his bowls of judgement, etc....../tinfoil hat
Yeah, a pathological narcissist with nuclear weapons is echoing Biblical apocalypse narratives while casting himself in the role of the Second Coming.
As I said in the Foreign Policy thread, this is rather like something out of a Christian apocalypse movie. It's just that, in hindsight, the antichrist coming from the Republican party and being the Orange One is obvious in retrospect, while still utterly unbelievable. Anyone who grew up in the Fundie Christian environment is pointing out the similarities right now to works like Left Behind.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Problem is, I thought that one of the prophesied requirements of the anti-Christ is that nobody will realize that they are the anti-Christ (up to a certain point, I presume), and like you say, Trump is kind of too obvious (as is Putin).

Hmm... Jared Kushner tends to stay out of the spotlight, and he owned (owns?) a building with the street address 666...

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-22 05:32am Problem is, I thought that one of the prophesied requirements of the anti-Christ is that nobody will realize that they are the anti-Christ (up to a certain point, I presume), and like you say, Trump is kind of too obvious (as is Putin).

Hmm... Jared Kushner tends to stay out of the spotlight, and he owned (owns?) a building with the street address 666...
Be honest, how many people seriously thought, until 2016, that Trump would be a serious candidate for president, and didn't just consider it some weird joke?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-08-22 05:49am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-22 05:32am Problem is, I thought that one of the prophesied requirements of the anti-Christ is that nobody will realize that they are the anti-Christ (up to a certain point, I presume), and like you say, Trump is kind of too obvious (as is Putin).

Be honest, how many people seriously thought, until 2016, that Trump would be a serious candidate for president, and didn't just consider it some weird joke?
Hell, far too few people took him seriously until election night. Idiots. But that's nothing new. People always think it can't happen here. That's a big part of how it does.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Is it too much to hope for that Trump taking talking points from Biblical Apocalypse fiction will finally be enough to make some of the Religious Right start disavowing this guy? Or will they just take his anti-Christ-like blasphemy at face value and declare him the Second Coming?

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Just like Israel, they need the Antichrist to get through to the rapture
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep. Either he's the anti-christ, in which case they need him - or he's not the anti-christ, in which case he's pushing all their buttons. Either way, there's a group of evangelicals that will cheer him on regardless.

I'm sure Pence has creamed his pants by now.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice