Ewan McGregor to play Obi-Wan Kenobi on TV

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Ewan McGregor to play Obi-Wan Kenobi on TV

Post by Elfdart »

Variety

Ewan McGregor is in talks to return as Jedi master Obi Wan Kenobi in a series for Disney Plus, Variety has confirmed.

No other details on the potential series were available. McGregor previously played the character in the three “Star Wars” prequels “The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones,” and “Revenge of the Sith.” There had been talk for years that McGregor would return in an Obi Wan standalone film, but those plans were reportedly put on hold following the unsuccessful roll out of “Star Wars” standalone film “Solo.”

Reps for McGregor and Disney Plus did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

The Obi Wan series would be the third live-action “Star Wars” show on Disney Plus. The nascent streamer has previously announced “The Mandalorian” from Jon Favreau starring Pedro Pascal as well as a series based on Cassian Andor, the character first introduce in the film “Rogue One” with Diego Luna reprising his role from the film.

The show would be McGregor’s second major TV role in recent years. He won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy for his role in the third season of the FX series “Fargo,” playing twin brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy. McGregor is primarily known for his film work. He will star in the upcoming “The Shining” follow up “Doctor Sleep,” which is due out in November. He will also play the DC villain Black Mask in the film “Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).” His other notable film roles include “Trainspotting,” “Moulin Rouge,” and “Black Hawk Down.”

He is repped by UTA.

Disney Plus is also building out the television side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with high-priced limited series in the works focused on character like Hawkeye, Loki, Scarlet Witch and Vision, and Falcon and Winter Soldier.
I'll bet the rent it's going to be like Kung Fu, only instead of waiting 57 minutes every week for David Carradine to stop wandering the desert long enough to beat the shit out of the bad guys, the audience will spend most of each episode waiting for McGregor to cut a bad guy with his lightsaber.

Yeah, I'd watch that.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Ewan McGregor to play Obi-Wan Kenobi on TV

Post by Galvatron »

That seems more like a Mace Windu thing.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-16 01:17am That seems more like a Mace Windu thing.
Before or after he's thrown out a window with an arm cut off?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hmm. If this goes through, I'm guessing at least part of Rebels gets overwritten from canon, because they won't be able to resist showing the final confrontation between Kenobi and Maul in live action.

Edit: On the plus side, it would potentially let them finish Qi'ra's story with Maul, since its pretty clear Solo ain't getting a sequel.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-16 11:48pm Hmm. If this goes through, I'm guessing at least part of Rebels gets overwritten from canon, because they won't be able to resist showing the final confrontation between Kenobi and Maul in live action.
possibly or they could just do a live action version of the showdown as shown in rebels, that's assuming the timelines overlap obviously.

Personally I'd wish they'd keep the Rebels encounter as it perfectly showed how the difference between "Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi" and "old hermit Ben Kenobi" while at the same time showing they're still the same person and all this was done without really saying a single word.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

They could have made an Obi-Wan movie that people actually wanted to watch in the cinema and make a Han Solo TV series with less initial audience interest. But no, Disney is being idiotic at managing the SW franchise because they are always listening to the demands of fans a generation prior instead of the evolved taste of the current SW fans.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I don't recall any fans demanding a Solo movie, regardless of generation.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Also, what's an evolved taste in this context?
Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-18 06:17pm I don't recall any fans demanding a Solo movie, regardless of generation.
Speak for yourself. After the decanonising of the EU, I really needed to know the origin of Han's trouser stripe.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-08-18 06:34pm Also, what's an evolved taste in this context?
Something something KOTOR, I'd wager.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There was a Obi-wan novel, set a few days after him dropping Luke off at the Lars, as he settles into Tattooine.

That would make an excellent 'Season 1', or entire mini-series if they only want to do a single short season.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-18 06:17pm I don't recall any fans demanding a Solo movie, regardless of generation.
I remember people talking about a young Han Solo movie back in the early 2000s.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Talking about =/= demanding

I remember people talking about the prospect of a young Han Solo showing up in the prequels and pretty universally rejecting the idea as unnecessary and stupid.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I do remember a fair bit of demand from some fans.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

I don't understand how people could want a Kenobi movie/series over a Solo movie/series (from a "how much story is there to tell?" standpoint, personal fandom of each character aside).

There seems to be no time elapsed between when Kenobi says he'll take Luke on Tantive IV to when he delivers Luke to Owen and Beru on Tatooine, and Kenobi seems to have done little after that other than keep an eye on Luke from the shadows and grow old. The "A New Sith, or Revenge of the Hope" fan theory suggests he was up to more, but that's just a fan theory.

Han Solo has a lot more backstory that could be told, since we don't know anything about him or Chewie prior to the Cantina scene in ANH. How did Chewie, Clone Wars hero and personal friend of Yoda, come to be partners with a low-life like Han? How did Han come to work for Jabba, become well respected, and then become persona non grata?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-08-19 10:26am I don't understand how people could want a Kenobi movie/series over a Solo movie/series (from a "how much story is there to tell?" standpoint, personal fandom of each character aside).

There seems to be no time elapsed between when Kenobi says he'll take Luke on Tantive IV to when he delivers Luke to Owen and Beru on Tatooine, and Kenobi seems to have done little after that other than keep an eye on Luke from the shadows and grow old. The "A New Sith, or Revenge of the Hope" fan theory suggests he was up to more, but that's just a fan theory.

Han Solo has a lot more backstory that could be told, since we don't know anything about him or Chewie prior to the Cantina scene in ANH. How did Chewie, Clone Wars hero and personal friend of Yoda, come to be partners with a low-life like Han? How did Han come to work for Jabba, become well respected, and then become persona non grata?
Because the story matter less than seeing Ewan McGregor back as the main lead?

Solo had a decent well written story. The problem is no one wanted to watch another actor portray Han Solo.

I'll gladly watch a movie about Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan mediating for an hour.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Hey, I like EM too, but I don't find it remotely compelling to watch him meditate.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's entirely possible that he had adventures that took him off-world during the 20 years between ROTS and ANH. That would explain his familiarity with the Mos Eisley cantina and his seeming first-hand knowledge that most of the best pilots could be found there.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-08-19 11:30am Hey, I like EM too, but I don't find it remotely compelling to watch him meditate.
Probably, but any Obi Wan movie is going to be a slow paced introspective movie than an action adventure movie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-19 12:33pm
houser2112 wrote: 2019-08-19 11:30am Hey, I like EM too, but I don't find it remotely compelling to watch him meditate.
Probably, but any Obi Wan movie is going to be a slow paced introspective movie than an action adventure movie.
You think any studio is going to make a "slow-paced introspective" Star Wars movie?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Right. I'm sure they'll get Terrence Malick to direct and everything.

Anyone who wants to see something like that can just watch Ewan McGregor as Jesus Christ in this:

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-20 01:49am
ray245 wrote: 2019-08-19 12:33pm
You think any studio is going to make a "slow-paced introspective" Star Wars movie?
I don't think they will really go that slow of a pace like a Malick film, but it will be pretty slow by Star Wars standards
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think it's a bit premature to declare what it either will or won't be.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-20 01:16pm I think it's a bit premature to declare what it either will or won't be.
We know an Obi-Wan story can't have him revealing to everyone he's on Tatootine.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

ray245 wrote: 2019-08-20 02:36pm
Galvatron wrote: 2019-08-20 01:16pm I think it's a bit premature to declare what it either will or won't be.
We know an Obi-Wan story can't have him revealing to everyone he's on Tatootine.
Obi-wan gets news about interesting event and is either asked or decides to intervene.

Obi-wan leaves Tatooine and does stuff. Obi-wan doesn't tell anybody he's from Tatooine.

Obi-wan goes back to Tatooine once his adventures are complete. Nobody but maybe a Rebel or two knows he's on Tatooine.

There, done.

Never mind that Bail Organa almost certainly had some idea of where Obi-wan was, seeing as the Tantive IV went there directly from Scarif. So it's not like his existence there is a -complete- secret.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe he'll even visit Yoda on Dagobah for reasons.