EA Fleet vs UNSC Fleet

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Steelinghades
Youngling

EA Fleet vs UNSC Fleet

Post by Steelinghades »

Scenario:
Due to ROB dickery, a fleet of earth alliance ships of Babylon five and a fleet of the United nations space command come across each other in the Sol system and due to ROB reasons, attack each other.

Calcs:
Megaton/Mid.

Victory condition:
Complete destruction of one sides forces.

Canon:
Novels and Techbooks primarily, visuals secondary.

Opposing forces:
EA Fleet
- 9x Hyperion-class Rho heavy cruisers
- 4x Poisoden-class Beta supercarrier.
- 5x Nova-class Delta Dreadnoughts.
- 4x Warlock-class Alpha destroyers.
- 10x Omega-class Iota destroyer.
- 2x Victory-class destroyers.
- 12x Olympus-class Eta corvettes.

UNSC Fleet
- 1x Infinity-class Supercarrier. (No frigate parasites)
- 1x Punic-class Superarrier. (No frigate parasites)
- 5x Autumn-class heavy cruisers.
- 6x Marathon-class heavy cruisers.
- 9x Halycon-class light cruisers.
- 8x Paris-class heavy frigates.
- 6x Stalwart-class light frigates.
- 2x Epoch-class heavy carriers.

Neither side has any knowledge of the other. Both are crewed by competent members of their own forces, no one special or named. Both are bloodlusted and will fight to the death.

Starting locations:
The EA fleet is starting over the moon while the UNSC is over Mars.

Who wins
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: EA Fleet vs UNSC Fleet

Post by Jub »

Can the B5 fleet even scratch the Infinity-class given its level of shielding and armor? Heck, I don't think that entire fleet manages to out mass the Infinity-class alone, let alone the rest of the UNSC fleet.
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Jub wrote: 2019-07-14 10:49pm Can the B5 fleet even scratch the Infinity-class given its level of shielding and armor? Heck, I don't think that entire fleet manages to out mass the Infinity-class alone, let alone the rest of the UNSC fleet.
High Infinity? It's basically invincible. Mid end however, the warlocks and victories should be able to do it.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Steelinghades wrote: 2019-07-14 11:18pmHigh Infinity? It's basically invincible. Mid end however, the warlocks and victories should be able to do it.
What are they using to punch through her shields let alone the nearly 5m of armor beneath those shields?
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Jub wrote: 2019-07-14 11:20pm
Steelinghades wrote: 2019-07-14 11:18pmHigh Infinity? It's basically invincible. Mid end however, the warlocks and victories should be able to do it.
What are they using to punch through her shields let alone the nearly 5m of armor beneath those shields?
The same guns that allow the GOD satellites to destroy the eastern seaboard? And the Victory classes guns are implied to be stronger.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Steelinghades wrote: 2019-07-17 12:11pmThe same guns that allow the GOD satellites to destroy the eastern seaboard? And the Victory classes guns are implied to be stronger.
I've read the numbers that support this claim, do we ever actually see these weapons used so that we can confirm that they're able to meet their claimed maximum output? This is a pretty big question but hardly the only one. We'd also need to know how long they take to charge as well.

That said if the beam is as powerful as calculated and was to connect with the Infinity-class Supercarrier the results would be interesting. We know that Covenant capital ships couldn't withstand fire from a Super MAC and that a single round could easily pass through two ships and stop in a third. However, that's a momentary impact of 2.163E+22 Joules versus the peak rate of 2.7E+18 J (total energy of 8.6*1019 J) for the Aegis platforms that's around 100 times less total energy than a Super MAC round would carry. We also know that 3 shots from normal MAC guns with a yield of 1.06E+17 J per shot can kill some Covenant ships though we don't know the sizes of the ships that this holds true for. We also don't know if the fact that these MAC rounds would be impacting a smaller area makes a difference or if Covenant shields are more or less effective against energy weapons than they area kinetic ones of the same energy.

So it's a bit of a toss-up at this point as to whether or not the best guns the EA fleet has can damage the Infinity.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

The GOD platforms seemed to need a hell of a lot of time to charge up their beam weapon, or else Sheridan's forces wouldn't have been able to knock them all out of commission before they turned their fire on Earth. They also had a nice little missile rack for a bit of spam. Anyone have a general idea of the warhead yields for the EA?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-17 04:02pm The GOD platforms seemed to need a hell of a lot of time to charge up their beam weapon, or else Sheridan's forces wouldn't have been able to knock them all out of commission before they turned their fire on Earth. They also had a nice little missile rack for a bit of spam. Anyone have a general idea of the warhead yields for the EA?
Unknown but it's implied that those were thermonuclear warheads, I guess you could get a estimated based on the 2 warheads used to destroy the Black Star.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-18 02:12am
NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-17 04:02pm The GOD platforms seemed to need a hell of a lot of time to charge up their beam weapon, or else Sheridan's forces wouldn't have been able to knock them all out of commission before they turned their fire on Earth. They also had a nice little missile rack for a bit of spam. Anyone have a general idea of the warhead yields for the EA?
Unknown but it's implied that those were thermonuclear warheads, I guess you could get a estimated based on the 2 warheads used to destroy the Black Star.
ghetto EDIT:I think the shot Clark tried to use was an energy weapon equilevant of a mag dump so he's use all avaible charge on 1 big shot rather then several lower power ones.

Also IIRC there wording use was "devestate the eastern seaboard" which doesn't tell us much about the yield, though we do know that EA is limited to fusion powerplants at most powerful as well as direct energy transfer weapons so that does create an upperlimit for the yields.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-18 02:20amghetto EDIT:I think the shot Clark tried to use was an energy weapon equilevant of a mag dump so he's use all avaible charge on 1 big shot rather then several lower power ones.

Also IIRC there wording use was "devestate the eastern seaboard" which doesn't tell us much about the yield, though we do know that EA is limited to fusion powerplants at most powerful as well as direct energy transfer weapons so that does create an upperlimit for the yields.
The only calcs I found for the Aegis platforms cannons was based on 400,000 km/sq glassed to 4 cm deep in 30 seconds, for ~2E+18 J peak and a total output of ~2E+19 J of energy. I'm not sure if that lines up with the source material as I've never really gotten into B5. Honestly, it seems a bit absurd given that other ships classes struggle to hit the low tens of megatons with their lasers and heavy plasma cannons. You'd think that if they could cram a pair of fusion reactors into a relatively small satellite they could pack the same, if not more, into a warship.

At least in Halo the SMACs in Earth orbit were powered by ground-based powerplants so it's possible that such a power plant would take up too much mass and volume to be viable on a cost-effective warship.
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-18 02:20am
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-18 02:12am
ghetto EDIT:I think the shot Clark tried to use was an energy weapon equilevant of a mag dump so he's use all avaible charge on 1 big shot rather then several lower power ones.

Them using fusion generators doesn't tell us much, fiction in general--halo included--has a habit of fusion generators supplying insane amounts of power with insane efficiency. What we could do is look through the techbooks or novels for examples. I seem to recall one of the novels giving the warlock double digit terawatt energy generation capabilities.
Jub wrote: 2019-07-18 02:27am
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-18 02:20amghetto EDIT:I think the shot Clark tried to use was an energy weapon equilevant of a mag dump so he's use all avaible charge on 1 big shot rather then several lower power ones.

At least in Halo the SMACs in Earth orbit were powered by ground-based powerplants so it's possible that such a power plant would take up too much mass and volume to be viable on a cost-effective warship.
That's incorrect for OWPs around Earth, it's correct for the ones around but not Earth. The ones around earth were smaller--as I recall--had slower rates of fire and had internal reactors.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

We do see the same model, or new and improved, defense platforms being used against the Drakh fleet in A Call to Arms.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The EA's already legendary point defense capability will almost certainly put paid any hope of the UNSC getting any missile strikes, but they're used to that. Would the interceptor grid blunt MAC salvoes?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Steelinghades
Youngling

Post by Steelinghades »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2019-07-27 11:52am The EA's already legendary point defense capability will almost certainly put paid any hope of the UNSC getting any missile strikes, but they're used to that. Would the interceptor grid blunt MAC salvoes?
While the Interceptor system will help, It won't be able to handle the sheer number of missiles the UNSC can through out at any one time. The Infinity alone has something along the lines of twenty five thousand missiles it can launch all at once. As for Interceptor vs MAC, it should be able to stop rounds sometimes. I don't think any kinetic round in B5 actually approached the sheer weight MAC rounds have, especially one like the Infinity's.