Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

It's October 1962, and the US discovers that the Soviet Union is supplying nuclear missiles to Cuba, prompting a rising of tensions between nations. How would Superman react to the two superpowers coming to the brink of nuclear war?

Essentially, what happens if the people under Superman's care appear to be destroying themselves, does he intervene, or does Superman sits on the sidelines and hopes for the best? If he does intervene, what action would Superman take?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-07-06 05:50pm It's October 1962, and the US discovers that the Soviet Union is supplying nuclear missiles to Cuba, prompting a rising of tensions between nations. How would Superman react to the two superpowers coming to the brink of nuclear war?

Essentially, what happens if the people under Superman's care appear to be destroying themselves, does he intervene, or does Superman sits on the sidelines and hopes for the best? If he does intervene, what action would Superman take?
No way Superman sits out the potential destruction of human civilization. I expect he'd try to appeal to the better natures of the leaders of both sides. Failing that, I suspect he'd mostly side with the US (he is an American citizen, after all), but would probably try to intercept any nukes, especially ones aimed for civilian targets. Whether he'd be able to solo stop a full exchange would depend on which version of Superman we're using.

Of course, if the CMC took place in the DC Universe, ten to one there'd be a supervillain behind it for him to thwart and conveniently save the day.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

He'd intervene. I can see him going the 'quest for peace' route, and forcing disarmament.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-06 09:27pm Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

He'd intervene. I can see him going the 'quest for peace' route, and forcing disarmament.
Depending on circumstances and outcome, I could see him going the Justice Lords route, and deciding he needs to rule the humans for their own good.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-06 09:49pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-07-06 09:27pm Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

Depending on circumstances and outcome, I could see him going the Justice Lords route, and deciding he needs to rule the humans for their own good.
That really only works if he has help. Not even Superman can be multiple places at once.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually Silver Age Superman was so freaking fast and powerful he probably could have solo'd this.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

park himself on a beach chair in maimi and yell "pull".
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Superman would respect the sovereignty of the nations involved and not directly intervene unless hostilities broke out, although he would make media appearances etc advocating a peaceful diplomatic resolution (and also in print under Clark Kent). There is always armed conflict going on, somewhere in the world, and since he hasn't enforced global peace through violence in non-elseworlds scenarios there's no real reason to imagine this incident would be a tipping point.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GuppyShark wrote: 2019-07-12 06:57pm Superman would respect the sovereignty of the nations involved and not directly intervene unless hostilities broke out, although he would make media appearances etc advocating a peaceful diplomatic resolution (and also in print under Clark Kent). There is always armed conflict going on, somewhere in the world, and since he hasn't enforced global peace through violence in non-elseworlds scenarios there's no real reason to imagine this incident would be a tipping point.
Aside from the fact that this conflict might completely destroy global civilization?

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It won't be the tipping point until missiles actually start flying. Once they DO he's bare bones minimum going to stop the missiles and might very well decide this is it-mankind is too bloody stupid to fend for themselves (and looking at the world we live in I'm hard pressed to disagree with him)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote: 2019-07-12 10:28pm It won't be the tipping point until missiles actually start flying. Once they DO he's bare bones minimum going to stop the missiles and might very well decide this is it-mankind is too bloody stupid to fend for themselves (and looking at the world we live in I'm hard pressed to disagree with him)
Well, a competent corrupt businessman/mobster with raging egomania becoming President made him go Justice Lord in the DCAU. One can only shudder to imagine his response to Trump. :wink:

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Superman represents and believes in hope and a better future, he's not a paternalistic jackboot ready to beat some sense into us.

If Clark was going to take over the world because the monkeys (apologies to Gorilla City) are too stupid to look after it he would have done it earlier than the Cuban Missile Crisis.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

This is basically X-Men: First Class set in the DC Universe, with some elements of Watchmen thrown in, all that's missing is the DC eqivalent of Sebastian Shaw.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

GuppyShark wrote: 2019-07-13 04:06am Superman represents and believes in hope and a better future, he's not a paternalistic jackboot ready to beat some sense into us.

If Clark was going to take over the world because the monkeys (apologies to Gorilla City) are too stupid to look after it he would have done it earlier than the Cuban Missile Crisis.
But as Red Son showed, he can be that paternalistic ruler of humanity in his well meaning way.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Red Son had him raised to be the successful to Stallion (Heavily implied) once his powers were known, and he saw it as his duty.