Jeffrey Epstein arrested in New York on child sex trafficking charges.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jeffrey Epstein arrested in New York on child sex trafficking charges.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeffrey ... ges-2019-7
The billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein was arrested Saturday evening on suspicion of trafficking dozens of underage girls as young as 14 in the early 2000s, according to a bombshell report from The Daily Beast that cited three unnamed law-enforcement sources.

The news comes more than a decade after Epstein dodged federal charges in a secret plea deal that has long drawn scrutiny.

Epstein, 66, is set to be arraigned in federal court in New York on Monday, according to The Miami Herald.

These new charges allege that Epstein systematically molested dozens of underage girls by paying them for "massages" that rapidly devolved into sexual abuse, according to the reports.

The case is being prosecuted by the Southern District of New York's public corruption unit, with help from human-trafficking officials and the FBI, The Daily Beast reported.

The alleged abuse occurred in Epstein's homes in New York City's Upper East Side and Palm Beach, Florida, and took place between roughly 1999 and 2005.

Law-enforcement sources told The Daily Beast that Epstein's employees and associates recruited the girls, and some victims even became recruiters themselves.

Epstein has long fielded allegations of sexually abusing young girls, and was investigated by the Palm Beach Police Department in 2005. But in 2007, he cut a secret non-prosecution agreement with then-US Attorney Alex Acosta, who is now President Donald Trump's secretary of labor.

The deal granted Epstein immunity from federal prosecution, and Epstein pleaded guilty only to two state charges: solicitation of prostitution and procurement of minors for prostitution.

Epstein ultimately served just a 13-month jail sentence, but due to a work arrangement was allowed to leave jail six days a week to work out of his Palm Beach office, according to The New York Times.
So yeah, for those who don't know, Epstein is a billionaire who many years ago got a highly-questionable plea deal on child sex charges, which was negotiated without informing his victims. Epstein was a friend and associate of various rich and powerful figures including Bill Clinton and yup, you guessed it, Donald Trump, and it has been theorized that he was given a cushy deal to avoid scandal for various powerful figures who availed themselves of his... services. Whether that's true or not, I can't say, but if he does have anything (sexual or otherwise) on Trump (or Clinton, for that matter), I hope they get him to squeal.

Pure speculation, but a part of me can't help but wonder if this is the fruit of one of those undisclosed spin-off cases Mueller passed off to other agencies because they didn't fall under the scope of his investigation.

Also, the State of New York (and the local FBI office) have really stepped the fuck up lately, between nailing Cohen, building a campaign finance violation case against Dickless for when he leaves office, electing Ocasio-Cortez, and banning private prisons. And now this. New York is quickly becoming my favorite state.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jeffrey Epstein arrested in New York on child sex trafficking charges.

A run-down on the history of this case, and why this is a much bigger deal than just one more rich child molester getting caught:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/3/18116351/ ... ary-acosta
Jeffrey Epstein could have gone to prison for life.

The money manager was accused of sexually abusing dozens of underage girls at his Palm Beach mansion between 2001 and 2006. But as Julie K. Brown reports at the Miami Herald, he ultimately got just 13 months in a county jail, thanks to a deal signed by Alexander Acosta, then the US Attorney for Miami and now President Trump’s secretary of labor. On Thursday, a federal judge ruled that Acosta’s team broke the law by concealing the agreement from more than 30 girls who said Epstein abused them, Brown reports.

Epstein has said that any encounters he had with his accusers were consensual, and that he believed they were 18 at the time.

The story of how Epstein got such a light sentence — and who was involved — is a master class in the power dynamics that have been exposed by the #MeToo movement but have yet to truly change.

When authorities began investigating Epstein, he assembled a team of private investigators to dig up dirt on the girls who accused him and the police and prosecutors working the case. Then he and his team of powerful lawyers — including Alan Dershowitz and Kenneth Starr — were able to convince prosecutors to go easy on him despite disturbing allegations by a growing number of women and girls. (According to Axios, Dershowitz is still advising Epstein, saying, “He has called me a couple of times about legal issues, because I’m still technically his lawyer.”)

Epstein was proud of his “collection” of famous friends, which included Bill Clinton and Donald Trump, and there’s long been speculation that some of these friends may have participated in his abuses. But because he has been able to avoid harsh punishment and minimize publicity around the details of his case, he’s also been able to keep details about anyone else who may have been involved out of the public eye.

The fact that Epstein is free today is a reminder that the American justice system has long been all too willing to ignore the words of girls and women, especially when they accuse a wealthy and influential man. It’s a reminder that those with enough money and connections, from Epstein to Harvey Weinstein, can often manipulate the legal system to serve their own ends. And it shows how one powerful person can protect not just himself but anyone who might be connected to him, all while exploiting those who are powerless.

Epstein has long been known for his wealth and his predilection for young girls. Everything else is something of a mystery.
Jeffrey Epstein, who is now 65 years old, was one of the most powerful money managers in the world up until his 2007 indictment for sex crimes. After working at the investment bank Bear Stearns in the early 1980s, he founded his own firm, J. Epstein and Co., in 1982, advertising his services for those with assets worth more than $1 billion — and was soon managing billions of dollars in client assets. By 1992, he owned the largest private residence in Manhattan. For tax purposes, he has run his business from the island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands since at least 1996, and near that island, he owns the island of Little St. James.

That island is also home to Epstein’s foundation, the Jeffrey Epstein VI Foundation — best known for donating $30 million to Harvard University for the establishment of a mathematical biology and evolutionary dynamics program. In a 2003 Harvard Crimson article on Epstein and his gift to the university, he is described by Harvard luminaries — including Alan Dershowitz, who would later help represent him when Epstein was accused of sex crimes in 2007 — as “brilliant” and “one of the most pleasant philanthropists.”

In a 2002 New York magazine profile, Epstein was described by even those closest to him as “mysterious,” with many of the sources of his immense wealth remaining largely unknown and with one acquaintance even comparing him to the Wizard of Oz, implying that there might be less behind the curtain than appearances would otherwise dictate:

Epstein is said to run $15 billion for wealthy clients, yet aside from Limited founder Leslie Wexner, his client list is a closely held secret. A former Dalton math teacher, he maintains a peripatetic salon of brilliant scientists yet possesses no bachelor’s degree. For more than ten years, he’s been linked to Manhattan-London society figure Ghislaine Maxwell, daughter of the mysteriously deceased media titan Robert Maxwell, yet he lives the life of a bachelor, logging 600 hours a year in his various planes as he scours the world for investment opportunities. He owns what is said to be Manhattan’s largest private house yet runs his business from a 100-acre private island in St. Thomas. ... Says another prominent Wall Streeter: “He is this mysterious, Gatsbyesque figure. He likes people to think that he is very rich, and he cultivates this air of aloofness. The whole thing is weird.”

Michael Stroll, who sued Epstein over a failed business deal in the 2000s, told New York magazine in 2007, “Everybody who’s his friend thinks he’s so darn brilliant because he’s so darn wealthy. I never saw any brilliance, I never saw him work. Anybody I know that is that wealthy works 26 hours a day. This guy plays 26 hours a day.”

Epstein was also an accumulator of famous friends — and his connections would later prove extremely important as he attempted to defend himself against allegations of sexual abuse. He gained some measure of fame in the early 2000s for flying President Bill Clinton, actor Kevin Spacey, and comedian Chris Tucker to Africa to tour AIDS prevention and treatment project sites. Clinton would go on to fly multiple times on Epstein’s private plane in 2002 and 2003, according to flight logs obtained by Gawker in 2015. Gawker also obtained and published Epstein’s address book, which included politicians, actors, and celebrities.

In 2002, Epstein described his famous friends as a “collection” of sorts, saying, “I invest in people — be it politics or science. It’s what I do.” He was at one point spending $20 million per year to subsidize a group of scientists and their research on topics ranging from Tibetan monks to altruistic behavior. He was also good friends with Donald Trump, who described Epstein to New York magazine in 2002 as someone who “enjoys his social life.”

Epstein’s connections are crucial to understanding his story. They may have helped him get a lighter sentence in 2008, but they’re important for another reason too. His friendships with famous people have led to speculation that they, too — most notably Clinton and Trump — might have participated in his abuse of girls. But because Epstein was able to keep all the details of his prosecution quiet, it’s impossible for the public to know exactly who else was involved in his crimes. By protecting himself, Epstein may have been able to protect his famous friends as well.

A police investigation found that Epstein had sexually abused dozens of girls. He got a shockingly light sentence.
Much of Epstein’s “social life” involved very young women. “I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years,” Trump said at the time. “Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.”

In the 2007 New York magazine article, Vanity Fair columnist Michael Wolff described flying on Epstein’s private plane in the 1990s, saying Epstein “was followed onto the plane by — how shall I say this? — by three teenage girls not his daughters” who were “18, 19, 20, who knows” and “model-like.”

“He has never been secretive about the girls,” Wolff said. “At one point, when his troubles began, he was talking to me and said, ‘What can I say, I like young girls.’ I said, ‘Maybe you should say, ‘I like young women.’ ”

Finally, in 2005, a woman reported to Florida police that a wealthy man had molested her stepdaughter, according to the Daily Beast. The tip led Palm Beach detectives to investigate, and they identified multiple girls who said Epstein had abused them. The case was eventually referred to the FBI, and in 2008, after years of investigation and legal wrangling, Epstein pleaded guilty to charges of solicitation of prostitution and procurement of minors for prostitution in a deal with federal prosecutors.

According to court and police records reviewed by the Miami Herald’s Julie Brown, Epstein routinely had underage girls brought to his Palm Beach mansion, where he paid them to give him massages. During the massages, he often subjected the girls to sexual abuse — asking them to touch him while he masturbated, touching them himself, and sometimes having intercourse with them, Brown reports. Then, according to the Herald, he would offer them money to find him more girls — which some of them did, finding recruits at malls and house parties.

According to Joseph Recarey, the lead Palm Beach detective on the case, Epstein was essentially operating a “sexual pyramid scheme.” Brown identified about 80 women who say they were molested or otherwise sexually abused by Epstein, and some accounts suggest the total number may be much higher.

“He told me he wanted them as young as I could find them,’’ Courtney Wild, who says she recruited 70 or 80 girls for Epstein, told Brown. “He wanted as many girls as I could get him. It was never enough.’’

In response to lawsuits by some of the girls, Epstein has said that they consented to “the acts alleged” and that he believed they were 18, the Daily Beast reports.

In many cases, the effects on the girls were devastating.

“You can’t ever stop your thoughts,” Jen-Lisa Jones, who says Epstein molested her when she was 14, told Brown. “A word can trigger something. For me, it is the word ‘pure’ because he called me ‘pure’ in that room and then I remember what he did to me in that room.’’

”The women who went to Jeffrey Epstein’s mansion as girls tend to divide their lives into two parts,” Brown writes: “life before Jeffrey and life after Jeffrey.”

Wild was a 14-year-old middle school student and cheerleading captain when she met Epstein, Brown writes. She later became addicted to drugs and served three years in prison on drug charges.

One woman who said Epstein molested her was found dead of a heroin overdose last year, leaving behind a young son.

The FBI had prepared a 53-page sex crimes indictment for Epstein in 2007 that could have sent him to prison for life, according to the Herald. Instead, he cut a deal with Alexander Acosta, then the US attorney in Miami, which allowed him to serve just 13 months — not in federal or state prison, but in a private wing of a Palm Beach county jail.

He was granted work release to go to a “comfortable office” for 12 hours a day, six days a week, despite the fact that the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Department prohibited work release for sex offenders.

Epstein’s deal, called a “non-prosecution agreement,” granted immunity to “any potential co-conspirators,” meaning that if any of Epstein’s powerful friends were involved in his crimes, they would face no consequences. And Acosta agreed that the deal would be kept secret from the victims, preventing them from showing up in court to try to challenge it.

A lawsuit set for trial in Florida state court in December 2018 was expected to bring more details of Epstein’s crimes to light. Some of Epstein’s victims were slated to testify for the first time. But on December 4, Epstein reached a last-minute settlement in that suit just before jury selection was to begin, according to the Associated Press.

However, a ruling on February 21 by federal Judge Kenneth A. Marra gave those who reported abuse by Epstein some hope. Marra ruled that prosecutors under Acosta violated the Crime Victims’ Rights Act by hiding the non-prosecution agreement from more than 30 girls who said Epstein abused them, as Brown reports at the Herald. The judge did not overturn Epstein’s plea deal; instead, he gave prosecutors 15 days to work with the victims — now in their 20s and 30s — and their attorneys to arrive at a settlement. It’s not clear whether that settlement could include further prosecution for Epstein.

“This is a huge victory,” Brad Edwards, an attorney who represents Courtney Wild, told the Herald, “but to make his victims suffer for 11 years, this should not have happened.”

Epstein’s case is an example of how wealthy and powerful men can get away with sexual abuse

For a time, Epstein was markedly forthcoming about some of the allegations against him. In one communication with Palm Beach police in 2005, his attorney said, “Mr. Epstein is very passionate about massages. … The massages are therapeutic and spiritually sound for him; that is why he has had many massages.” He even donated $100,000 to Ballet Florida purely so that dancers could also have massages.

Despite the severity of the crimes he was accused of, Epstein avoided major consequences thanks to his wealth and connections.

He was able to hire a team, including private investigators, Dershowitz, and Starr, famous for his investigation of Bill Clinton. His investigators and lawyers worked to discredit or intimidate the women and girls who came forward, and the authorities working on the case, according to the Herald.

After the case was referred to the FBI, Epstein’s team mounted a “year-long assault” on federal prosecutors, investigating them and their families looking for “personal peccadilloes” that might disqualify them from the case, according to a 2011 public statement by Acosta.

None of this would have been possible without Epstein’s substantial fortune. But his relationships with other powerful people may also have played a key role. Epstein’s plea agreement refers to unspecified information he supplied to federal investigators, according to Brown. It’s not clear what that information was, but Brown notes that Epstein was a key federal witness in the prosecution of two executives with Bear Stearns, the investment brokerage that failed as part of the 2008 financial crisis. Epstein had at one time been an investor in a hedge fund managed by those executives. So it’s possible that his knowledge about other wealthy men helped keep him out of prison. (The executives were eventually acquitted.)

Ultimately, Brown reports, Acosta caved under the pressure. He and his team not only allowed Epstein to avoid a long prison sentence but also worked with Epstein’s lawyers to make sure the case was kept as quiet as possible.

All told, Brown’s extensive reporting paints a picture that’s all too common: a rich and well-connected man manipulating the legal system to protect himself. The account recalls the case of producer Harvey Weinstein, who, according to the New Yorker’s Ronan Farrow, hired an army of private investigators, including ex-Mossad agents, to track actresses and journalists in an effort to suppress sexual harassment and assault allegations against him.

Epstein’s deal with prosecutors did more than just protect him. By granting immunity to potential co-conspirators, it let any friends or associates of Epstein who might also have participated in his abuse avoid consequences as well.

Over the years, speculation has swirled about which of Epstein’s famous friends, if any, might have committed sex crimes on his properties. During the 2016 presidential race, then-Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus hinted that Bill Clinton might have been involved: “When you hang out with a guy who has a reputation like Jeffrey Epstein, multiple times, on private jets, on weekends, on trips, on places at least where it’s been reported not very good things happen, it would be good to know what our former president was doing,” he told Bloomberg.

Also during the 2016 race, a woman going by the name Katie Johnson sued Trump, saying he had raped her at one of Epstein’s parties when she was 13, the Daily Beast reports. She later dropped the suit.

It’s hard for the public to know how to evaluate these claims when so little about Epstein’s crimes has ever come to light, thanks to pressure from his lawyers and acquiescence from prosecutors. Epstein’s money and influence have protected not just Epstein but anyone who might be connected to him, a disturbing example of power perpetuating itself.

The girls and women who reported abuse by Epstein, meanwhile, were markedly powerless. Most of them “came from disadvantaged families, single-parent homes or foster care,” Brown reports. “Many of the girls were one step away from homelessness.”

Their youth and poverty may have made it easier for Epstein and his alleged recruiters to lure them in with promises of cash, easier for investigators to intimidate them, and easier for prosecutors to discount or disbelieve them when the time came.

Epstein’s case is also one of all too many instances in which victims of sexual misconduct are ignored or brushed aside when they come from marginalized groups. Women who have come forward to say that singer R. Kelly abused them have faced a similar kind of erasure. As Vox’s Constance Grady notes, Kelly has been “accused of creating an abusive ‘sex cult’ of very young women, whom he allegedly isolates, brainwashes, and abuses physically and emotionally.”

Girls and young women are routinely seen as unreliable narrators of their own experiences, including abuse, and it typically takes the testimony of many women for a powerful man to face any consequences. For example, young female athletes had been reporting abuse by Larry Nassar, the USA Gymnastics team doctor who was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison earlier this year for abusing more than 100 young athletes, since 1997. For more than a decade, officials at Michigan State University, where he worked, did nothing.

It took a groundbreaking investigation by the Indianapolis Star, the brave testimony of dozens of survivors, and, perhaps, the growing strength of the #MeToo movement, to finally bring Nassar to justice.

Meanwhile, for the women who say Epstein abused them, that justice remains elusive.

Epstein spends most of his time on his private island in the Virgin Islands, Brown writes. He is registered as a sex offender there and in New York, but not in New Mexico, where he also has a home.

Acosta, who helped Epstein serve his time in an office rather than a prison cell — and measure it in months, not years — oversees Trump’s Labor Department, which is responsible for, among other things, preventing human trafficking. There is no evidence that any of the powerful men accused of abusing girls along with Epstein have ever been prosecuted.

But Judge Marra’s ruling in the case has intensified calls for a Department of Justice investigation and scrutiny of Acosta’s role.

“The Department of Justice should use this opportunity to reopen its non-prosecution agreement so that Epstein and anyone else who abused these children are held accountable,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) said in the wake of the ruling, according to the Herald.

Michelle Licata, who said she was molested by Epstein at age 14, told the Herald that the ruling was “a step for justice.” But she said, “They should see if they can prosecute him for something. I mean, really prosecute him — instead of giving him 13 months where he was allowed to come and go as he pleased.”
So yeah. His friends include Donald Trump and Bill Clinton (who took numerous trips on Epstein's private plane) as well as accused rapist Kevin Spacey, he has billions of dollars from largely unknown sources, was defended by pro-Trump lawyer Alan Dershowitz and Clinton prosecutor Ken Starr, and got a ridiculous light plea deal at the hands of the man who is now Trump's Labor Secretary (charged with overseeing human trafficking issues), a deal which a judge has now ruled illegal, because it was made without informing the victims, yet which for some reason has not been overturned.

And he's also directly linked to the allegations that emerged in the 2016 election that Trump raped a 13 year-old girl, allegations which disappeared when the witness decided not to come forward (supposedly due to threats).

Anyone remember when the news didn't seem like a particularly bad spy/crime thriller? :banghead:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Good. Not sure what else to say at this time. I'm glad the shitbag is arrested.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Knife wrote: 2019-07-07 01:52am Good. Not sure what else to say at this time. I'm glad the shitbag is arrested.
Well, that, obviously, but depending on how much of the speculation around the case is true, this could potentially implicate a lot of very, very powerful people, including multiple PotUSs.

There'd be a certain symmetry in some other guy's sex crimes bringing Trump down, given that it was the Weiner sex scandal (also involving minors) that arguably won him the election- for those who don't recall, Weiner's wife was one of Hillary's aids, when the FBI busted Weiner they turned up a bunch of the Hillary emails on his computer, and that was what lead to Comey reopening the email investigation a week or so before the general election (the emails ultimately turned out to be nothing significant).

So yeah, I'd chuckle darkly at the irony if this somehow brought Trump down.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Guess we'll find out soon. If it looks like he is making a deal and Trump starts dangling a pardon.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanks to the bullshit sweetheart plea deal he got, Epstein was only convicted of two state charges in Florida. So if the prosecutors in New York want him to face justice they might want to nail him on state charges as well as federal ones. That way Epstein's buddy in the White House can't give him a Get Out Of Jail Free card.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-07-07 05:59pm Thanks to the bullshit sweetheart plea deal he got, Epstein was only convicted of two state charges in Florida. So if the prosecutors in New York want him to face justice they might want to nail him on state charges as well as federal ones. That way Epstein's buddy in the White House can't give him a Get Out Of Jail Free card.
For all that it matters, anyway. Remember, this is uhmurrika. Going to prison would negatively impact his career, and i'm sure he's paid someone to say he's a well-meaning man of god.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

NYT
On Saturday, a neighbor near an East 71st Street home purchased by Mr. Epstein in the mid-1990s, took a photograph, reviewed by The New York Times, that showed F.B.I. agents and New York Police Department officers using a crow bar to force open the mansion’s tall wooden doors.

If they're bashing their way into his house now, then surely they must be looking for evidence of recent crimes. I mean, it doesn't seem likely they'd expect to find evidence of crimes Epstein committed 15-20 years ago, does it? I'm thinking maybe they figured as serial kiddie-fiddler, he'd go back to his old tricks and they just waited to nail him when he did. Either way, Epstein and his friends deserve a room in the bowels of hell for this.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 85422.html
Jeffrey Epstein spent a second night in a New York jail cell Sunday, with a federal indictment expected to be unsealed Monday, charging him with sex offenses involving underage girls he and others allegedly trafficked in New York and Florida, sources have told the Miami Herald.

His Saturday arrest capped months of investigating, led by federal agents and prosecutors with the Southern District of New York’s Public Corruption Unit, assisted by investigators with the sex trafficking division. Although details of the case remain undisclosed, there are indications that others involved in his crimes could be charged or named as cooperating witnesses.

Among those potentially on the list: Ghislaine Maxwell, a 57-year-old British socialite and publishing heir who has been accused of working as Epstein’s madam; and Jean-Luc Brunel, who, according to court records, was partners with Epstein in an international modeling company.

Epstein, 66, was arrested at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey shortly before 4 p.m. Saturday, as he arrived on his private jet from Paris, where he had been vacationing since June 14, aviation records show. About an hour after they picked him up, federal agents arrived at his imposing Manhattan townhouse, breaking down the door to execute search warrants.

Ghislaine Maxwell was sued for slander after calling Virginia Roberts Giuffre, one of Jeffrey Epstein’s accusers, a liar. Maxwell, a close associate of Epstein, sought to have documents from the court case remain sealed.

The fact that search warrants were issued shows that federal investigators have new evidence against Epstein beyond the sex cases he was given federal immunity for in Florida in 2008, legal experts told the Miami Herald.

“They can’t take information from a case in 2002 or 2005 to get a search warrant today; there had to have been something for probable cause that contains evidence of a crime found now, so I’m interested in what that evidence is,’’ said Francey Hakes, a former federal prosecutor who once oversaw the Justice Department’s child exploitation crimes division.

Lawyers for Epstein’s victims, in court filings, have often likened Epstein’s sex operation to an organized crime family, with Epstein and Maxwell at the top, and below them, others who worked as schedulers, recruiters, pilots and bookkeepers.

For her part, Maxwell, whose social circle included such friends as Bill and Hillary Clinton and members of the British Royal family, has been described as using recruiters positioned throughout the world to lure women by promising them modeling assignments, educational opportunities and fashion careers. The pitch was really a ruse to groom them into sex trafficking, it is alleged in court records.

At least one woman, Sarah Ransome, claimed in a lawsuit that Maxwell and Epstein threatened to physically harm her or destroy any chance she would have of a fashion career if she didn’t have sex with them and others.

Maxwell has denied the claim and has never been charged.

Another woman, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, alleges she was recruited by Maxwell in 2000 when she was 16 years old. Giuffre was working as a spa attendant at Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s winter home and resort in Palm Beach at the time, court records show.

Trump, who lived less than a mile from Epstein’s waterfront mansion in Palm Beach, had also been friends with Epstein. Records show that he flew on Epstein’s private jet on occasion and attended parties and social events where he was photographed with Epstein.

Giuffre brought a civil defamation suit against Maxwell in 2015, after the Epstein associate called her a liar. It was settled two years later. But 2,000 pages of the previously sealed case file are expected to be made public in a few weeks, the result of litigation by the Miami Herald, and those records could prove damaging to Maxwell and others involved in Epstein’s alleged scheme.

“The one person most likely in jeopardy is Maxwell because the records that are going to be unsealed have so much evidence against her. She is in a particularly vulnerable position and will have an interest in cooperating, even though she may have missed that opportunity,’’ said lawyer David Boies, who represents Giuffre.

Boies said Brunel could also figure into Epstein’s prosecution because he has in the past offered to cooperate with investigators.

“Brunel has been one of these back-and-forth people for years. We interviewed Brunel more than four years ago and he promised to cooperate and then he didn’t, and he promised and didn’t. He was terrified of Epstein,’’ Boies said.

Giuffre claims that Epstein used the modeling agency, Mc2, to lure underage girls and in court papers said Epstein “deliberately engaged in a pattern of racketeering that involved luring minor children through Mc2, mostly girls under the age of 17, to engage in sexual play for money.”

Brunel has denied these claims, and says that Epstein was not a business partner or investor in his modeling company.

But Epstein’s arrest could open a window to expose other influential people who knew about or participated in his crimes. The question is what evidence or information does Epstein have against them and how might he use it?

“This case is being handled by the public corruption unit, and those people don’t typically handle cases involving child exploitation, so there may very well be some bombshells here of other people’s involvement because their role could mean there was some official action that was corrupt or some official acted corrupt in some way,’’ Hakes said.

Monday’s first appearance is expected to be brief, with the actual indictment revealing little of substance. More crucial will be a bond hearing later in the week to decide whether Epstein can go free while awaiting trial.

The Epstein case drew scrutiny following an investigation published in November by the Miami Herald, called Perversion of Justice, that examined the ways in which the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida, Alexander Acosta, worked in conjunction with Epstein’s lawyers to engineer the non-prosecution agreement — and keep it secret from Epstein’s victims so they could not object. Acosta is now President Trump’s secretary of labor.

As part of the series, the Herald examined tens of thousands of court documents, and identified more than 80 possible victims, most of whom were 13 to 16 years old.

In 2006 and 2007, the FBI confirmed that Epstein, who has homes in Manhattan, Palm Beach, New Mexico, Paris and in the U.S. Virgin Islands, sexually abused nearly three dozen girls at his Palm Beach mansion. He trained the girls to help recruit other young girls as part of an operation that operated like a pyramid scheme. He also had recruiters who helped with his appointments, scheduling as many as three or four girls a day, the FBI probe found.

The Herald series also revealed that Acosta held an unusual one-on-one meeting with Epstein’s lawyer, Jay Lefkowitz, in October 2007, at a West Palm Beach Marriott. Records showed that it was at that meeting that Acosta acceded to a non-prosecution agreement that gave Epstein and others involved in his operation federal immunity.

As part of the deal, Epstein was allowed to plead guilty to two state prostitution charges involving a 17-year-old girl, and he served 13 months in the Palm Beach County jail. The deal was configured so that no one — not even his victims — knew the details until nearly a year later. By that time, Epstein had already been released from jail and had returned to his jet-setting life.

If you work in the tech industry and believe in good faith the public is being harmed, exploited or misled by powerful corporations with access to big data, please let us know.

In February, a federal judge ruled that the deal was illegal because it violated provisions of the Crime Victims’ Rights Act. That decision was the result of a federal lawsuit brought by two of Epstein’s victims who had been fighting to put him in prison for more than a decade.

Since the publication of Perversion of Justice, members of Congress have pushed for an investigation of the circumstances surrounding the non-prosecution agreement.

“Perhaps now Epstein’s victims will see real justice. But true accountability is still glaringly absent for Alex Acosta, who approved this serial pedophile’s permissive plea deal,” said U.S. Rep Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida Democrat who has pushed for a reopening of the case. “If the DOJ will not adequately review and account for the miscarriage of justice that Acosta authorized, Congress must step in and provide that vigorous oversight.”

Among those who were involved early on in the criminal investigation was Michael Reiter, Palm Beach’s then-police chief, who was subjected to intense political pressure to ease up on Epstein. He and the lead detective, Joe Recarey, appealed to the FBI after the Palm Beach County prosecutor, Barry Krischer, indicated he wanted to charge Epstein only with minor crimes.

“Thankfully, the authorities in New York have the courage to investigate and prosecute Epstein in the way that should have occurred when the crimes were first reported in Florida over a decade ago,’’ Reiter said.
Some more details on the case, with more Trump connections (one of the alleged victims was an employee at Mar-a-lago when she was recruited). Also of note is the fact that its being handled by the Public Corruption Unit, which normally doesn't deal with child molestation cases- that suggests that they do have real evidence of political corruption of some kind in the Epstein case.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A decent article from the Guardian on the politicization of sex crimes cases, and this one in particular:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-so-be-it
I hope Jeffrey Epstein sings like a bird.

The wealthy and well-connected financier and registered sex offender was arrested this week in New York on accusations of child sex trafficking. He just may bring a lot of bad men – and a few bad women – down with him.

Epstein allegedly groomed and recruited dozens of underage girls, many of them vulnerable runaways, for sex with him and his friends. Despite being caught by authorities, Epstein has largely evaded serious punishment. Thanks to heroic reporting by Julie K Brown at the Miami Herald, Americans learned that back in 2008, Epstein was given an exceptionally favorable plea deal by then-prosecutor Alex Acosta – now Trump’s secretary of labor. The deal was shamefully hidden from Epstein’s victims, and while it forced Epstein to register as a sex offender, it allowed him near-total freedom for the 13 months he was technically in jail – he was allowed to leave the facility to work in his luxurious private office instead of serving life in prison.

It’s unclear why Epstein was given such favorable treatment. But given who his friends are, speculation has run rampant that his powerful connections (and the potential wrongdoings of other powerful men) may have had a hand in keeping him in relative freedom.

Epstein’s friends and contacts include President Donald Trump, President Bill Clinton, Prince Andrew, and high-powered attorney Alan Dershowitz, among many others. In 2002, Trump characterized Epstein as a “terrific guy” who enjoyed the company of girls “on the younger side.”

In the immediate aftermath of Epstein’s arrest, Twitter exploded with political gotchas. On the right, it’s near-gospel that President Bill Clinton and Epstein are jet-setting pals, and that Clinton is at best complicit and at worst a participant in Epstein’s sex crimes. (We know Clinton used Epstein’s private jet for work related to the Clinton Foundation; according to Clinton, they were always accompanied by Secret Service agents or Clinton Foundation staff.)

On the left, Trump opponents wonder if the president was ever a participant in Epstein’s sexual crimes. Trump was at one point accused by a young woman of raping her at Epstein’s New York home when she was 13; the lawsuit in which those accusations were made was withdrawn by the accuser. We also know that Trump and Epstein socialized, that Trump’s various phone numbers were written in Epstein’s notorious little black book, and that Epstein was once asked whether he had ever been around Trump and underage girls – and he invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

This is not a story in which anyone should find satisfaction. Dozens of vulnerable girls were allegedly sexually exploited and abused by Jeffrey Epstein. A great many adults, who should have done the right thing and stood up for these children, chose to look the other way. A few may have even participated in exploitation and rape.

The only way forward is to demand accountability from Epstein, his co-conspirators, and his enablers, without exception and without excuse. Who knew what was going on? Who participated? How, exactly, did Epstein get such a sweet plea deal in Florida?

Wherever these questions lead prosecutors and reporters must follow. And the public must demand real accountability, no matter the answers.

What happens next will be revealing. Any person who participated in or knew about Epstein’s alleged trafficking ring should face (in addition to jail time) total public rejection. If they hold public office, they must resign or be forced out. If they are a lion of politics or public life, they must retreat, live with this profound shame, and know it will taint their legacy forever.

Unfortunately, this isn’t how we’ve treated abusive and predatory men for most of human history. While that’s changing – the #MeToo movement has made an incredible impact – it still seems that a man’s punishment remains contingent on who he is, how powerful he is, and who his allies are. It’s also looking increasingly partisan. While Democrats are far from innocent when it comes to letting badly-behaved men off the hook, the American left has largely stepped up in recent years and demanded accountability from its own. Well-loved men like Al Franken have stepped down in the wake of sexual misconduct. Men whose bad behavior has been long known, like Bill Clinton, are seeing their legacies stained as modern feminists are increasingly willing to criticize their bad acts. When it comes to Epstein, the left is ready and willing to take down anyone who let him get away with his crimes – whoever they are, and however they vote.

But is the political right ready and willing to do the same? Aside from the hopeful conservative claims that Clinton is going down, the actual commitment of conservatives to punishing men for sexual wrongdoing is an outstanding question. Many, many times over, we have seen prominent conservative figures accused of sexual harassment or assault, only to have the most prominent figures on the right just deny it. Women who accuse liberal men of wrongdoing, the thinking seems to be, are to be believed. Women who accuse right-wing men are liars.

Just look at Brett Kavanaugh, who sits on the Supreme Court despite a credible claim of sexual assault and attempted rape. Or Donald Trump, who has been accused of sexual misdeeds by more than two dozen women – and most recently of rape. Or Alex Acosta, Trump’s labor secretary, who is the reason Jeffrey Epstein isn’t sitting in federal prison. Too many of the same people salivating over the possibility that some liberal men will be indicated in the Epstein case are too happy to shrug off serious allegation of sexual crimes when those allegations are leveled against men whose politics they share.

Holding people accountable for abusing girls should be a nonpartisan affair. Sadly, in the Trump era of lowered expectations and even more dismal behavior, we can’t even count on that.

Jill Filipovic is the author of the The H-Spot: The Feminist Pursuit of Happiness
This bit particularly caught my attention:
Trump was at one point accused by a young woman of raping her at Epstein’s New York home when she was 13; the lawsuit in which those accusations were made was withdrawn by the accuser. We also know that Trump and Epstein socialized, that Trump’s various phone numbers were written in Epstein’s notorious little black book, and that Epstein was once asked whether he had ever been around Trump and underage girls – and he invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Turns out that our Attorney General and Chief Lickspittle William Barr worked for the law firm that defended Epstein- and has refused to recuse himself from the case (though he has recused himself from any review of the prior plea deal):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ey-epstein
Attorney General William Barr won’t recuse himself from involvement in the new charges filed against alleged sex-trafficker Jeffrey Epstein by federal prosecutors in New York, according to a Justice Department official.

Barr made the decision on Tuesday after consulting with career ethics officials at the department, said the official, who asked not to be identified discussing a sensitive matter.

Barr weighed whether he would have to remove himself from involvement in the case in part because Epstein had previously hired lawyers from the law firm Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Barr served as counsel to the law firm before becoming attorney general.

But Barr has recused himself from any retrospective review of the Justice Department’s decision more than a decade ago letting Epstein avoid prosecution on federal sex-trafficking offenses in Florida and the decades of prison time that he could have faced if convicted.

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta was the top federal prosecutor in southern Florida and approved the widely criticized deal under which Epstein was permitted to plead guilty to two state charges of soliciting a prostitute. He served 13 months in a Florida state prison while being released during the day to conduct business.

Some former federal prosecutors have expressed concern that Barr might interfere in the New York case if he didn’t recuse himself.

While President Donald Trump socialized with Epstein in the past and once called him “a terrific guy,” the president told reporters at the White House Tuesday that he had a falling out with the financier and hasn’t spoken with him in about 15 years. “I was not a fan of his,” he said.

Still, Mimi Rocah, a former federal prosecutor, wrote in an opinion column for the Daily Beast that she was concerned the attorney general may intervene in the case “given Barr’s conduct in the past acting more as a defense attorney for Trump than an overseer of justice.”

The new charges have thrust Acosta and the deal that he approved into the spotlight.

One former administration official said Acosta will face increasing pressure as more documents are revealed in the Epstein case, particularly if they shed new light on what Acosta knew at the time of the plea deal.

Acosta’s standing in the Trump administration was in peril even before the indictment of Epstein cast a fresh spotlight on the former prosecutor’s role in a decade-old plea deal for the financier, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Read More: Trump Says He’s ‘Looking’ at Acosta’s Plea Deal With Epstein

Trump said Tuesday that while Acosta has been “just an excellent secretary of labor,” he will be looking “very closely” at the earlier case involving Epstein.

In postings on Twitter, Acosta said Tuesday, “The crimes committed by Epstein are horrific, and I am pleased that NY prosecutors are moving forward with a case based on new evidence” that “offers an important opportunity to more fully bring him to justice.”

The crimes committed by Epstein are horrific, and I am pleased that NY prosecutors are moving forward with a case based on new evidence.

— Secretary Acosta (@SecretaryAcosta) July 9, 2019
Epstein wants a federal judge to find that sex-trafficking charges against him unsealed Monday in New York are pre-empted by the plea deal he struck with prosecutors in Florida.

During Epstein’s first court appearance in Manhattan, on Monday, one of his lawyers made it clear he’d use that deal as a central part of Epstein’s defense, setting up a fight that could highlight a gulf between federal prosecutors in New York and their counterparts in southern Florida.

The previous agreement was a “global resolution” that was approved at a “very, very high level” of the Justice Department, Reid Weingarten said at the hearing. He called the new allegations “ancient stuff” and said the government was trying to get a second shot at a defunct case.

— With assistance by Terrence Dopp, Josh Wingrove, Jennifer Jacobs, Saleha Mohsin, Benjamin Penn, and Alyza Sebenius

(Updates with Trump’s comments starting in seventh paragraph.)
Jesus Christ, he's going to come up with another "Total Vindication" summary if this starts looking really bad for Trump, isn't he?

I might just end up hating Barr more than I hate Trump himself, if that's possible.

Also, I'm having trouble finding a source that isn't Alt. Reichist shit, but apparently one of the prosecution team is none other than James Comey's daughter. Who wants to bet that her presence on the case will be used by the Trump Regime to label this a Deep State Witch Hunt, and potentially to try to justify giving a pardon or commutation to Epstein in exchange for keeping his mouth shut?

Meanwhile, Democrats are demanding that Acosta resign as Labor Secretary. Trump, thus far, is defending him.

Republicans: Child sex slavery is okay as long as our side does it!

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Knife wrote: 2019-07-07 10:55am Guess we'll find out soon. If it looks like he is making a deal and Trump starts dangling a pardon.
If some of the connections & allegations in Epstein's case go as far as the rumours I've heard say they do, I wouldn't be surprised if he has an "unfortunate accident" to keep him from spilling all the beans. This case has the potential to put way too many of the privileged class in deep shit and the powers that be won't allow that.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

aerius wrote: 2019-07-12 11:29pm
Knife wrote: 2019-07-07 10:55am Guess we'll find out soon. If it looks like he is making a deal and Trump starts dangling a pardon.
If some of the connections & allegations in Epstein's case go as far as the rumours I've heard say they do, I wouldn't be surprised if he has an "unfortunate accident" to keep him from spilling all the beans. This case has the potential to put way too many of the privileged class in deep shit and the powers that be won't allow that.

Indeed. I've already heard reports they are following the money. lord knows where that will lead them.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I hope every single person who was ever involved in these crimes in any way is dragged into the light of day. Don't care if they're Republican, Democrat, or anything else. I hope a lot of very bad and very powerful people are about to crash and burn.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The big question for me is going to be - how far will this spread, and with what degree of certainty.

i.e Who will they find that probably has a connection, but they can't find a solid monetary connection.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's the question, isn't it?

There are probably scores of wealthy, powerful men (and probably a few women) on the hook for this, if not hundreds. But after so much time, without physical evidence, many may have just enough plausible deniability to escape arrest, even if their reputations get dragged through the mud.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-13 06:09pm That's the question, isn't it?

There are probably scores of wealthy, powerful men (and probably a few women) on the hook for this, if not hundreds. But after so much time, without physical evidence, many may have just enough plausible deniability to escape arrest, even if their reputations get dragged through the mud.
If Epstein was blackmailing people over this, then there may still be physical evidence.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2019-07-13 09:56pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-13 06:09pm That's the question, isn't it?

If Epstein was blackmailing people over this, then there may still be physical evidence.
Epstein blackmailing people, say with detailed records and recordings, and that evidence being obtained (or Epstein turning state-witness) would be the ideal to catch people with.

We might suddenly see a mass exodus from the United States if even the rumor of that leaked.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tvpnbb
Redshirt

Post by Tvpnbb »

I have one problem with the blackmail theory: surely any attempt to blackmail people with this material would easily backfire? I mean Epstein personally selected the girls, any illegal activity would take place on his premises and lastly the people he would be blackmailing would be powerful people who would likely expose him in retaliation?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tvpnbb wrote: 2019-07-14 01:27pm I have one problem with the blackmail theory: surely any attempt to blackmail people with this material would easily backfire? I mean Epstein personally selected the girls, any illegal activity would take place on his premises and lastly the people he would be blackmailing would be powerful people who would likely expose him in retaliation?
Would YOU want to go up in front of a bunch of press and say something like "yes I fucked an underage girl BUT HE'S THE BAD GUY HERE!"

Really there's no way you engage in activity like that and come out looking good, even if you're being blackmailed over it. Exposing him would expose you in turn.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tvpnbb
Redshirt

Post by Tvpnbb »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-14 01:46pm
Tvpnbb wrote: 2019-07-14 01:27pm I have one problem with the blackmail theory: surely any attempt to blackmail people with this material would easily backfire? I mean Epstein personally selected the girls, any illegal activity would take place on his premises and lastly the people he would be blackmailing would be powerful people who would likely expose him in retaliation?
Would YOU want to go up in front of a bunch of press and say something like "yes I fucked an underage girl BUT HE'S THE BAD GUY HERE!"

Really there's no way you engage in activity like that and come out looking good, even if you're being blackmailed over it. Exposing him would expose you in turn.
Yeah, but the same logic applies to Epstein - exposing the blackmail material would expose you as a child molester in turn.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tvpnbb wrote: 2019-07-14 02:13pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-14 01:46pm

Yeah, but the same logic applies to Epstein - exposing the blackmail material would expose you as a child molester in turn.
That does limit Epstein's options to only threatening people if he's going down unless they do something to make the charges go away.

And once he got that initial non-prosecution deal, anything on the tapes that implicated Epstein in anything covered by the deal is no longer a threat to Epstein.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, there is the possibility that Epstein saved the blackmail material for this type of situation.

He's going down, and he's PLANNING to take a shit load with him. Including currently sitting politions at the Federal and State level in the United States, possible in multiple countries, as well as leaders of industry. That would send shockwaves across the world for decades.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Plus we are talking about a Billionaire here. Is he going to try blackmailing people for something that he could just buy ?