Epic fail for go fund me wall

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Epic fail for go fund me wall

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sa ... ment-water
The GoFundMe Border Wall Blocked Access To A Monument. It's Been Ordered To Keep A Gate Open Indefinitely.
"They think they can build now and ask questions later, and that's not how it works," a water agency spokesperson said.

Salvador Hernandez
BuzzFeed News Reporter
Last updated on June 11, 2019, at 11:14 p.m. ET

Posted on June 11, 2019, at 1:23 a.m. ET

The viral crowdfunding effort to build a wall on the southern border aimed at deterring immigrants from crossing illegally was only recently completed, but on Monday the newly installed wall suffered a major setback — a large gate built into the barrier was ordered opened by officials.

The controversial half-mile wall constructed along the US–Mexico border near Sunland Park, New Mexico, was erected earlier this month after organizers raised more than $23 million on GoFundMe, the online crowdfunding site. But We Build the Wall organizers failed to obtain the required authorization to build the barrier on federal land, cutting off access to waterways and a public monument.

"This is normally done well in advance of a construction project," said Lori Kuczmanski, a spokesperson for the International Boundary and Water Commission, the agency that addresses waterway issues between the US and Mexico. "They think they can build now and ask questions later, and that's not how it works."

In response, IBWC officials on Monday afternoon propped open a large gate installed in the wall. The gate, constructed on roughly 33 feet of federal property, had blocked officials from accessing a levee and dam, and cut off public access to a historic monument known as Monument One, the first in a series of obelisks that mark the US–Mexico border from El Paso to Tijuana.

On Tuesday evening, after publication of this story, IBWC announced the gate would be locked at night "due to security concerns." The agency said in a statement that it "is continuing to work with We Build The Wall regarding its permit request."

The initial decision by the agency had prompted a series of angry tweets from We Build the Wall founder Brian Kolfage, who claimed that "Mexico just opened all gates" through IBWC for a "mass invasion."

Water agency officials, however, said We Build the Wall organizers went forward with construction of the fence without turning in the proper paperwork for the barrier.

"Their permit is still in the works," Kuczmanski said. "We're asking for documentation."

The decision marked the second time We Build the Wall organizers have been accused of moving hastily on construction of the border wall without first obtaining authorization from public officials.

In May, the city of Sunland Park issued a cease-and-desist order to the group stating that the proper permits had not been issued and that the wall's construction team had not submitted adequate plans to the city.

Sunland Park Mayor Javier Perea told BuzzFeed News the city was caught off guard by the wall's construction, but that the city had limited resources to address the issue.

Kolfage, meanwhile, claimed on Twitter that the project was in compliance and that construction had intentionally started during a three-day weekend "when corrupt city was partying over the weekend" because the group had "planned for battle."

While Kolfage has touted the project as the "Cadillac of walls," BuzzFeed News recently observed dozens of people crossing the border into the US in search of Border Patrol agents to request asylum just a short distance from the wall. City officials and local residents, even those who supported a border wall, also told BuzzFeed News they were concerned the half-mile privately funded wall will only direct migrants to other parts of town, creating a new host of issues.

We Build the Wall has come under increased scrutiny since its viral online fundraiser, most recently prompting an investigation by the state of Florida, where the group is incorporated as a nonprofit.

“In response to consumer complaints, including those referred by the Office of the Attorney General, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has opened an investigation into this charity,” a Florida Department of Agriculture spokesperson told WLRN.

The group selected the section of the New Mexico border to build the wall because it was "the number one most important mile to close," said Steve Bannon, the former strategist for President Trump and advisory board chair for the project.

Water agency officials, however, said We Build the Wall organizers went forward with construction of the fence without turning in the proper paperwork for the barrier.

"Their permit is still in the works," Kuczmanski said. "We're asking for documentation."

The decision marked the second time We Build the Wall organizers have been accused of moving hastily on construction of the border wall without first obtaining authorization from public officials.

In May, the city of Sunland Park issued a cease-and-desist order to the group stating that the proper permits had not been issued and that the wall's construction team had not submitted adequate plans to the city.

Sunland Park Mayor Javier Perea told BuzzFeed News the city was caught off guard by the wall's construction, but that the city had limited resources to address the issue.

Kolfage, meanwhile, claimed on Twitter that the project was in compliance and that construction had intentionally started during a three-day weekend "when corrupt city was partying over the weekend" because the group had "planned for battle."

While Kolfage has touted the project as the "Cadillac of walls," BuzzFeed News recently observed dozens of people crossing the border into the US in search of Border Patrol agents to request asylum just a short distance from the wall. City officials and local residents, even those who supported a border wall, also told BuzzFeed News they were concerned the half-mile privately funded wall will only direct migrants to other parts of town, creating a new host of issues.

We Build the Wall has come under increased scrutiny since its viral online fundraiser, most recently prompting an investigation by the state of Florida, where the group is incorporated as a nonprofit.

“In response to consumer complaints, including those referred by the Office of the Attorney General, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has opened an investigation into this charity,” a Florida Department of Agriculture spokesperson told WLRN.

The group selected the section of the New Mexico border to build the wall because it was "the number one most important mile to close," said Steve Bannon, the former strategist for President Trump and advisory board chair for the project.
Yes a 1/2 mile wall for $23 million which doesn't work because the gate has to be left open. Well a fool and their money are soon parted.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Epic fail for go fund me wall

Post by Broomstick »

Wow, you mean all those planning requirements are there for a reason?. Cue libertarian pearl-clutching.

Sure, I'd like to be free to do whatever the hell I want, but when I grew up and became an adult I was able to comprehend why we have rules and regulations and why a "society" where everyone was free to do whatever they wanted without rules or considerations for others wasn't going to work.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Not heard about this project before. 23 million is a massively worrying total to raise for it though to me.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-06-12 07:24am Not heard about this project before. 23 million is a massively worrying total to raise for it though to me.
It's only about 10 cents per US citizen though, if they gathered funds nationwide it isn't that much especially if there was few rich people in involved in the project as backers.

that said 23 000 000 USD is nowhere close to enough to get anything that would serve as functional barrier against illegal immigrants 23 billion USD might start to be close to the needed sum and even then it would probably be just a massive waste of money.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-06-12 07:24am Not heard about this project before. 23 million is a massively worrying total to raise for it though to me.
Yes, it is, but look at it this way: every cent they spend on this ineffectual boondoggle is one more cent they won't have to donate to Republican candidates or superpacs.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'd be tempted to order the entire wall ripped down for not getting it approved before seeking funding.

Then charge them with something like 'misrepresentation' if feasible. "i.e be seeking funding, they implied that had approval, which they did not"
Maybe fraud too.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.