GOOD OMENS *potential spoilers*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

GOOD OMENS *potential spoilers*

Post by Crazedwraith »

This series has been out on Amazon Prime for the last week or so.

Just got around to watching the first episode today and it's pretty good. They have 'God' narrating so you get a lot of the flavor text that is the real source of Pratchettian comedy. It's got the biggest names in the roles of Crowley and Azraphale and seem to be treating them as the main characters, which while they probably the best remembered parts isn't really the case in the book, though I admit it's been a while since I read the book.

I wonder if they can really stretch this to six episodes but I am enjoying and looking forward to the Four Horsemen appearing down the line.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: GOOD OMENS *potential spoilers*

Post by Dalton »

It's amazing and very true to the book. They did a superb job.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Only seen a few clips so far, but David Tennant is pretty much enough to catch my interest by himself.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I really enjoyed it. We binge watched it the weekend it came out. They managed to pretty much nail it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I haven't read the source material but I was interested when I first saw the adds. I was off of work when it was released so I watched it all in a day or so. I liked it a lot but. David Tennant and Michael Sheen together were excellent.

I seem to be watching a lot of shows that deal with Heaven & Hell lately. Lucifer, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and now Good Omens. It's interesting where they overlap in how they depict similar things and where they diverge.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

I enjoyed it - Tennant and Sheen are excellent of course and I could watch them bicker like an old married couple forever.

If I am picking holes I thought it didn't really do enough to get into Adam's head or explain the reasoning for his eventual decision (which should have been the dramatic moment on which the season turned, but instead fell kind of flat) .
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

From the clips I've seen, Tennant and Sheen seem very well -cast in this.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Looks like Good Omens is popular enough for some Christians to petition Netflix to cancel it. They will be disappointed when Netflix just ignores them for reasons that shouldn't need explaining.

Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime's Good Omens
US Christian group condemns Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s story as ‘making satanism appear normal’ – but petition wrong company

More than 20,000 Christians have signed a petition calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, the television series adapted from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s 1990 fantasy novel – unfortunately addressing their petition to Netflix when the series is made by Amazon Prime.

The six-part series was released last month, starring David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale, who collaborate to prevent the coming of the antichrist and an imminent apocalypse. Pratchett’s last request to Gaiman before he died was that he adapt the novel they wrote together; Gaiman wrote the screenplay and worked as showrunner on the BBC/Amazon co-production, which the Radio Times called “a devilishly funny love letter to the book”.But Christians marshalled by the Return to Order campaign, an offshoot of the US Foundation for a Christian Civilisation, disagree. More than 20,000 supporters have signed a petition in which they say that Good Omens is “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”. God, they complain, is “voiced by a woman” – Frances McDormand – the antichrist is a “normal kid” and, most importantly, “this type of video makes light of Truth, Error, Good and Evil, and destroys the barriers of horror that society still has for the devil”. They are calling on Netflix to cancel the show.

Gaiman responded to the petition on Twitter, writing: “I love that they are going to write to Netflix to try and get #GoodOmens cancelled. Says it all really. This is so beautiful ... Promise me you won’t tell them?”

The publisher and science fiction critic Cheryl Morgan tweeted: “Miraculously God has already done it. Don’t tell them She put it on Amazon instead.”

Return to Order is based on the writings of the author John Horvat II. It “calls upon Americans to put principles into actions by working toward what is called an organic Christian society”. Another of its petitions in April called on Walmart to “stop selling Satanic products” following a 2018 protest against a “blasphemous ice cream chain called Sweet Jesus”.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They petitioned the wrong company, and they only got 20,000 signatures. Pathetic. The Game of Thrones rewrite petition is at well over 1.6 million. Hell, even the de-canonize The Last Jedi petition did way better than this. As whining about TV shows goes, this is a really weak effort.