Counter-intelligence agencies have "gone dark", not informed Congress on Russia probe for a year and a half: Schiff.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Counter-intelligence agencies have "gone dark", not informed Congress on Russia probe for a year and a half: Schiff.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... probe.html
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) shared that the House Intelligence Committee hasn't received any updates on special counsel Robert Mueller's counterintelligence investigation on Russia for a year and a half. Schiff said the intelligence community and Department of Justice have gone "dark" in giving updates and have stopped fulfilling their statutory duty.

"We were getting periodic counterintelligence briefings up until the point where James Comey was fired," Schiff said Tuesday night. "At that point, the most significant counterintelligence investigation in recent history went into a black hole and the Department and the intelligence community stopped fulfilling their statutory obligation to keep us fully informed of any significant counterintelligence activity."

"So they've been dark now for a year and a half," Schiff told MSNBC host Chris Hayes. And that, I think, violates the statute. We're insisting on getting full answers now."

CHRIS HAYES, MSNBC: Has the White House or the White House staff communicated directly to you their intentions vis-a-vis document production or compliance with subpoenas?

REP. ADAM SCHIFF (D-CA): You know, I had an initial get-acquainted meeting with the new White House counsel. Since that time, we have been in negotiations with the Department of Justice and the FBI to get the materials that we need on the [House] Intelligence Committee.

As you know, the Mueller investigation actually began under Comey as a counterintelligence investigation. We still don't have any of the findings of the counterintelligence investigation that goes to what possible risks of compromise there are. And so there is a statutory obligation to provide that to the Committee. In a very atypical illustration of bipartisanship vis-a-vis the Russia investigation, Mr. Nunes (R-CA) and I have sent two joint requests now to the Department demanding this information.

We're prepared if necessary to use compulsion to get it. We want Mueller to testify, we want the underlying evidence, we want to make sure we get answers.

HAYES: So I just want to make sure I understand that clearly. The counterintelligence portion of this, whatever results from that, whatever work product that resulted from that, from a counterintelligence perspective, has not been furnished to your committee at all?

SCHIFF: No, it hasn't. We were getting periodic counterintelligence briefings up until the point where James Comey was fired. At that point, the most significant counterintelligence investigation in recent history went into a black hole and the Department and the intelligence community stopped fulfilling their statutory obligation to keep us fully informed of any significant counterintelligence activity.

So they've been dark now for a year and a half. And that, I think, violates the statute. We're insisting on getting full answers now.

HAYES: That's wild.

SCHIFF: We're going to do what's necessary. It is. It really is. And I think they know they're on very weak legal footing. So we're pursuing this with all vigor. We've told them basically, we need this information, we need it now, and we're prepared to go to court to fight to get it if that's required.
Just how thoroughly has Trump turned the US intelligence community into one of his creatures? How deep will this corruption go even after he is gone? And will these agencies be working to secure our elections, or expose them?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Re: Counter-intelligence agencies have "gone dark", not informed Congress on Russia probe for a year and a half: Schiff.

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

This is actually akin to not telling a known asset of an enemy anything. Given that, at this juncture, the GOP is basically a Russian asset...

... also, remember that this is counter intelligence not police work. The rules are wholly different in any form of intelligence work.

Also, what is the source's respectability because that also needs to be taken into account.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Counter-intelligence agencies have "gone dark", not informed Congress on Russia probe for a year and a half: Schiff.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd rate the source's credibility as "moderate", probably, but they're quoting Schiff on MSNBC, so unless they're flat-out making up quotes, I'd say its fairly valid.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-03 02:42am I'd rate the source's credibility as "moderate", probably, but they're quoting Schiff on MSNBC, so unless they're flat-out making up quotes, I'd say its fairly valid.
You also have to take into account that the rules of intelligence is far different than what you would expect. Intelligence doesn't give intel to compromised parties as a rule, and given that it is very likely that the GOP is compromised...
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I agree.

This is looking into the possible compromise of part of the United State's government by a foreign nation.

Of course you're going to keep it 'in the dark'. You don't want to tip anyone off before you drop the hammer on them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.