UCP wins Alberta elections.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: UCP wins Alberta elections.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Kenney is threatening to cut gas supplies to BC. BC is suing, challenging this as unconstitutional:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5118519
B.C. Premier John Horgan says an expanded Trans Mountain pipeline is no guarantee of lower gas prices and the current spike in Lower Mainland fuel costs is not his fault.

Horgan reacted to threats from Alberta Premier Jason Kenney who says he will use a new provincial law to cut off gas to B.C. if the premier keeps blocking oil projects and driving up the price of gas.

"The travelling public cares not whose finger is pointing where. They want prices to come down," said Horgan on Wednesday, adding he's working with Ottawa to try to reduce the export of diluted bitumen and increased refined product.

He urged Alberta to work with B.C. on this.

Horgan said he spoke to Kenney late Tuesday and both agreed they'd continue to protect their provincial interests and had a "few good laughs," but they disagree that twinning the Trans Mountain will necessarily deliver cheaper gas.

Horgan said there's no promise that any new capacity in the pipeline would be used for more batches of consumer-ready gas, as there's no hint of that in the current proposal before the National Energy Board.

He said the flow of crude, not refined gasoline, has recently increased.

Horgan said he plans to remain "reasonable" and avoid rhetoric. But he refused to take the blame for spiking prices at the pumps or to apologize for fighting Alberta's bid to "impair trade" between B.C. and Alberta by fighting its new "turn off the taps" law in court.

Horgan didn't get any more specific about next steps in the escalating word war between the two provinces.

"When you are playing poker you keep the cards in your hands," said Horgan.

Albertans want more pipelines and a diversified economy, according to Vote Compass data
Earlier Wednesday, Kenney said B.C.'s obstruction of his province's oil and gas industry — specifically the blocking of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion — was the reason for gas prices topping $1.70 per litre in Metro Vancouver.

He then threatened to use the newly proclaimed law to prod B.C. into approving the Trans Mountain project.

Shortly after Kenney's comments, lawyers for B.C. filed legal paperwork signaling plans to fight Alberta's law on grounds that it's unconstitutional.

Industry analysts and legal experts say the law is a bluff and more pipelines are not guaranteed to cool the punishing prices at the pump.

They say soaring gas prices are caused by a combination of factors, from the 32 cents-a-litre tacked onto Metro Vancouver gasoline to a lack of supply — and of course, profits.

But Kenney says the high prices are Horgan's fault.

He stood beside his new energy minister Wednesday, warning that he's ready to use newly enacted "turn off the taps" law at any moment.

"We are serious about it. This is not some bluff. We will protect the value of Alberta's resources," Kenney said during a news conference Wednesday. When asked why he hasn't begun screwing shut those taps, he explained that he's agreed to talk further with Horgan.

But he said the fix is simple: Greenlight the Trans Mountain expansion.

"We don't have enough pipeline capacity to ship both refined gas and unrefined bitumen to the Lower Mainland," Kenney said.

Gas industry analysts are not so sure. They say B.C.'s high gas prices are driven by a combination of taxes and a lack of refinery capacity, which, it has been argued by B.C. Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver, might actually get worse if the Trans Mountain pipeline were twinned.

It's important to remember that Trans Mountain only carries a limited amount of consumer gasoline and diesel alongside crude oil that must be refined, analysts say.

"Pipeline or no pipeline, it doesn't change the supply or availability of gasoline without a change in refining capacity," said Mason Hamilton, a petroleum markets analyst with the US Energy Information Administration.

As for Kenney's promise to cut off the supply altogether, legal and political experts question whether that will happen.

Alberta's new law would face a challenge from this province and fail, said Joel Bakan, a constitutional expert with the University of B.C.

Bakan said that there are provisions in the law to prevent provinces from cutting off critical resources to each other — especially as political leverage.

Others describe the legal showdown as a sideshow.

University of Alberta political scientist Jared Wesley said the law is more of a political tool.

"They are picking a fight and they look good whether the courts hold it up or not. They look like they are standing up for Alberta's interest ... a lot of this is posturing," he said.

"An action taken by an energy minister to actually stop shipment to B.C. would be the constitutional and intergovernmental equivalent of a nuclear weapon and I don't think the Kenney government is in the mood to go that far."
So, yeah, government by tribalism and spite and disregard for the law looks to be the order of the day.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I brought up the so called "Turn Off the Taps" law weeks ago. There's no way this does anything as it'll be stopped by an injunation before it can even come online. From there it's going to fall to legal challenges and be a complete non-issue. It's a pandering move for consumption bu Albertans and nothing more.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So its the government wasting time and tax payer money on spite-driven grandstanding instead of getting anything done.

Well, if that's what Albert voters want...
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

To be fair, all other provinces are on pretty shaky ground when it comes to criticizing Alberta’s environmental / First Nations’ record.

Maybe we should start/restart a thread for all the other stuff, like B.C.s Site C Dam.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-02 05:52pm So its the government wasting time and tax payer money on spite-driven grandstanding instead of getting anything done.

Well, if that's what Albert voters want...
The point was to get the BC government to advance a contridictory position in one court compared to the position they've already advanced in another regarding provincial authority to regulate pipelines. That's why Notley (who was nobody's fool) passed the law in the first place. Even though it was obviously unconstitutional, it was obviously unconstitutional on the same grounds as what Victoria was threatening on this file. Kenney was just electing to burn that card now rather than hold in reserve, which gave him the benefit of appearing aggressive to the people he was promising aggression without much changing the overall situation.

As far as grandstanding retaliations go, this one was fairly measured and proportionate.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2019-05-02 06:19pm To be fair, all other provinces are on pretty shaky ground when it comes to criticizing Alberta’s environmental / First Nations’ record.

Maybe we should start/restart a thread for all the other stuff, like B.C.s Site C Dam.
Sure.

Yeah, I know a bit about the Site C controversy. Its a favorite target of a lot of the Greens over here.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Tribble wrote: 2019-05-02 06:19pmMaybe we should start/restart a thread for all the other stuff, like B.C.s Site C Dam.
Please do.

I'd be especially interested in its effects near term and long term compared to things fossil fuel burning power plants. Is Site C just a case of a poorly chosen location that has lead into a massively mismanaged construction project that ultimately still ends up being reasonably green over its lifespan or is it a full-on disaster such that we might as well burn the dirtiest coal instead?