Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by SolarpunkFan »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2019-03-29 08:25pm
Ace Pace wrote: 2019-03-29 11:05amWhat next? Seriously, what does Britan in the end of April look like?
Maybe like this? Photosensitive epilepsy warning: YouTube
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

... my 'A New World' setting is not supposed to become reality you idiots! All this is going to do is to twist the screws more! Do you want to loose everything within two decades or more you Parliament critters (including your lives!)? This is just how you get into the situation where you loose everything.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-03-29 09:15am Not one of whom will have the balls to revoke Article 50 because they know it'll piss off a large percentage of the electorate. And doing the opposite will piss off the rest. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Anyone who actually wants the position with the way things are really must have a screw loose- wouldn't surprise me if Boris Johnson threw his hat into the ring.
If you're screwed either way, why not do the right thing ?

But that would be the sensible way out.
Ace Pace wrote: 2019-03-29 11:05am At this point, the British lawmakers have rejected
No Deal Brexit
EU approved Brexit
A variety of fantasy Brexit agreements
A 2nd referendum
A delay of Brexit

What next? Seriously, what does Britan in the end of April look like?
I'm worried that the arguing will continue until the EU decides it's sick of the squabbling and makes the decision without the UK's agreement.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-03-30 12:21am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-03-29 09:15am Not one of whom will have the balls to revoke Article 50 because they know it'll piss off a large percentage of the electorate. And doing the opposite will piss off the rest. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Anyone who actually wants the position with the way things are really must have a screw loose- wouldn't surprise me if Boris Johnson threw his hat into the ring.
If you're screwed either way, why not do the right thing ?
Because people honestly can't decide what the right thing is? I'm making the assumption here than the Brexiter's views, while I consider wrong, are genuinely held and thought to be for the good of country.
Ace Pace wrote: 2019-03-29 11:05am At this point, the British lawmakers have rejected
No Deal Brexit
EU approved Brexit
A variety of fantasy Brexit agreements
A 2nd referendum
A delay of Brexit

What next? Seriously, what does Britan in the end of April look like?
I'm worried that the arguing will continue until the EU decides it's sick of the squabbling and makes the decision without the UK's agreement.
They don't even have to do much. Just refuse to extend the arrangement again and boom, the UK drops out with no deal.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Off-topic, but could somebody delete the accidental double post I made at the top of this page?
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well parliament had a busy day yesterday down-voting every possible compromise and option suggested.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Looking through some of the insane proposals they voted on, I do have an inkling that they still believe they can just vote on something they like, and immediately, the EU will agree to it, just because Britain says so...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LaCroix wrote: 2019-04-02 06:01am Looking through some of the insane proposals they voted on, I do have an inkling that they still believe they can just vote on something they like, and immediately, the EU will agree to it, just because Britain says so...
That's been the operating principle of the Leave campaign since the beginning.

It's rooted in a misunderstanding that has plagued British government interactions with Europe for decades. They have basically wilfully ignored the fact that Europe negotiates as a unified whole and assumed that they can negotiate with national governments independently.

A lot of the "it'll be fine" brexit rhetoric was based on the idea that we'd be negotiating with Germany over car exports and France over wine and they'd all put their own national interest ahead of European interest (because that's what the British goverment would claim to be doing when it puts the interest of whatever capitalist or rentier class it is working for ahead of European interest).

And then all 26 other European nations stood up for Ireland over the border question and refused to budge, which rather blindsided the British government, and especially the Brexiteers who are driving the direction of it, because they were fundamentally incapable of conceiving that this would happen.

To add to that we have a PM for whom the term "inflexible" seems woefully inadequate, who is trying to govern like an autocrat even when she has no majority and no loyalty from her party and just trying the same thing over and over because doing otherwise is so far outside of her capabilities as a person that you might as well ask her to fly to the moon by flapping her arms.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So basically, the Brexiters are incapable of understanding the motivations or behaviour of anyone who isn't an "I've got mine, fuck everyone else" nationalist like they are?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Now it is extended to the 31st of October. It never ends.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Guess the EU decided to extend some undeserved mercy. Well, undeserved by the British government. I'd like to think it'll help the ordinary people caught in this mess, but odds are they Parliament will simply squander this second chance.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Most likely, yes. I'd also like to think we're not screwed in regards to this here in the UK, but I've seen no sign so far that any of this has changed the minds of anyone who matters.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-11 08:18am Guess the EU decided to extend some undeserved mercy. Well, undeserved by the British government. I'd like to think it'll help the ordinary people caught in this mess, but odds are they Parliament will simply squander this second chance.
It's not exactly mercy on their part it's in their self interest to have a deal. Just not as good a deal as being in the EU. As I understand it No deal hurts them as well, though not nearly as much as it will hurt us.

Partly inherently but partly because they've been preparing for it competently ahead of time unlike HM's Government.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU constantly agreeing to extend the deadline is less out of mercy for the UK (though there could definitely be that) and more that not forcing the issue keeps the Irish border open.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm glad the EU went for a longer extension, the last one didn't do jack shit, that's for sure. And anything that pisses off the Brexit Bunch is just a bonus! :mrgreen:
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Yes, it's pretty much for Ireland's sake. Ireland is still a member state, and a border popping up might bring back the troubles. If having another extension might prevent that, it's worth it.

The actual exit deal from the EU side won't change by much, if at all - this is just so the MP's can realize that they can't get what they want, and agree to a deal that at least contains a kind of solution to the Irish border problem. (Not as if ther could ever be a good one, given the situation)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

It also gives Britain breathing room to rethink their Brexit decision, because now they can use the extra months provided to calm down and actually look at the issue and analyze how Britain will be affected.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

B5B7 wrote: 2019-04-11 08:31pm It also gives Britain breathing room to rethink their Brexit decision, because now they can use the extra months provided to calm down and actually look at the issue and analyze how Britain will be affected.
Yeah, because they did so much of that in the repeatedly extended time they were given before this latest extension.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote: 2019-04-11 08:45pm
B5B7 wrote: 2019-04-11 08:31pm It also gives Britain breathing room to rethink their Brexit decision, because now they can use the extra months provided to calm down and actually look at the issue and analyze how Britain will be affected.
Yeah, because they did so much of that in the repeatedly extended time they were given before this latest extension.
It was extended once from 29th of March to the 12th of April afaik.

That we've not changed our mind in three years since the referendum is more damning.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Yes, we've had plenty of time to come to any realization in regards to Brexit. Instead, whenever I encounter a radio or see a newspaper, it still often will involve some bit of news where some pro-brexit person is declaring brexit to be the will of people and that anyone who questions it hates the British people and doesn't believe in their capability to make Britain great. In fact, that was one story that kept up being repeated yesterday where I am, of an MP raging about the watering down of brexit and that the government should believe in the British people.

I doubt we're going to suddenly have any rethinking if we're at this point and still have people going "Full hard Brexit! We'll smite any difficulties with our plucky Brit beams!". No, we'll just have more Brexiteer screaming at anti-Brexit people and more of them screaming at each other for not having a good brexit plan. Then either there will be another extension to put off the potential restarting if the troubles or we have a hard Brexit. Then the Brexit crew will blame the EU and the anti-Brexit crowd for sabotaging Brexit.

That's what I expect will happen.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Hey, Farage is creating a new Brexit party. I guess he couldn't stand Tommy Robinson. :D

I was being facetious obviously. Farage has stated his reasons for the new party and they relate to his dissatisfaction with the Brexit process.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-04-13 08:12am Hey, Farage is creating a new Brexit party. I guess he couldn't stand Tommy Robinson. :D

I was being facetious obviously. Farage has stated his reasons for the new party and they relate to his dissatisfaction with the Brexit process.
One of the reasons why the EU should have stuck to the deadline IMO. Brexit supporters have no qualms getting elected then trying to screw the EU over as much as possible from the inside.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fuck, I hope his new party fails. They've got a good chance in the MEP elections though. UKIP and even the BNP do well there. I think my MEP was BNP at once point.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, it gets better. The Gamergate conspiracy nutbar, fascist-adjacent polemicist and overall disgrace to the good name of Swindon who calls himself "Sargon of Akkad" is running for office in the European elections, on the UKIP ticket.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Zaune wrote: 2019-04-13 06:12pm Oh, it gets better. The Gamergate conspiracy nutbar, fascist-adjacent polemicist and overall disgrace to the good name of Swindon who calls himself "Sargon of Akkad" is running for office in the European elections, on the UKIP ticket.
Well if a substitute drama teacher can become leader of Canada, I guess a failed video game developer can become a member of Parliament. I mean its not like Sargon does a lot of research for his videos, ie I question how well he understands the issues. The only thing going for him is his British accent (but then I am Australian and we do perceive British accents as upper class), but that won't help where everyone speaks with a cool accent. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.