The Orville: Season 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: The Orville: Season 2

Post by Alferd Packer »

Spoiler
One thing that surprised me is that they didn't include a line about potentially launching an offensive against the Kaylon. As it stands, the only reason the the biologics haven't been scoured from the galaxy is that the Kaylon fleet isn't that large, and they appear to be limited to either a single planet or, more likely, their star system. That, and they're just getting started. Who's to say they don't just head off in the opposite direction of Union space and start their purge over there?

And yes, I know the Union and Krill fleets got stomped pretty hard, but these were only a fraction of each. The Union fleet would take weeks to be recalled to Earth in full force, and I'm sure the Krill are similarly distributed throughout their space. A joint Union/Krill/Moclan/et al. counterattack could be put together quickly enough, and between the intel that the Orville brought back from its visit, and the EM pulse thing that Isaac used to deactivate himself and the other Kaylon, you have a real chance of forcing the Kaylon to the table and dictating terms of surrender.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-02-22 09:30pm Spoiler
Assuming it doesn't end with a dumb TNG-style plot reset, who wants to bet that this will be what gets the Union and the Krill to set aside their differences and unite against a common threat?
Called it. :)

Also, the effects for this show are amazing. I know he's not doing it all alone, but McFarlane has proven that he isn't just a goofball and that he knows what his audience wants. Imagine if he had a shot at an actual Star Trek (or even Star Wars) project. We already know he cherishes both properties.

I hope Disney is taking notice.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-02-28 09:58pm You're supposed to put all that in spoiler tags you know.
I did it from my phone so I know you should be able.
What is the point of a thread where almost every post is in spoiler tags ?

Especially when many posts don't even say which episode they are referring to. It's led to me opening all the spoiler boxes, making the spoiler tags seem rather pointless.

Which is also why I stay out of this thread between the time the episode airs and the time I watch it.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, the twist was telegraphed a mile off, but it was well executed. One wonders how the scan didn't turn up that his "daughter" was not, in fact, human, though.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I was suspicious that it was his daughter, but he was storing the Macguffin plasma stuff in her body, essentially weaponizing her--and making him no better than the Krill who had tortured them both over the decades.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder what happened to her after the episode. I doubt the Krill would have accepted the death of their suspect without an explanation of how he blew up their ships and she was a willing participant. Plus it doesn't sound like her species is a member of the Union.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Krill certainly don't want her if she can effectively suicide bomb them, though, especially after her accomplice demonstrated willingness to go to those lengths. Remember, what he told Captain Mercer to the contrary, she was not in the Krill prison camp with him; he met her after his escape.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm sure the Krill can keep her in a nitrogen free room for long enough to execute her.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Or just plain throw her out into space. Her blood wasn't a 799 million times more effective than matter/antimatter super-explosive, it needed to interact with a shop's quantum drive to do its mojo
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Did any one take one look at his daughter and think "why does she look like the "MOMO" meme monster?" I swear she is the spitting image of that asswipe.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'll be honest, I only half paid attention to this week's episode. I was wondering if they were going for the old holodeck gaining sentience thing a la TNG, but they didn't. I have to wonder how the program was calling the cell phone Gordon replicated for himself when it wasn't running, though.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I liked how Tim Russ kept slipping back into Tuvok mode. Also, it's interesting what information has survived and what hasn't--presumably, the bulk of social media data was purged at some point, making the information on the phone unique and valuable.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

New episode tonight.

God, the Moclans are assholes.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-11 10:46pm New episode tonight.

And Hulu still has not uploaded it, grrrrr...
:banghead: :finger: :kill:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-04-12 02:29pm

It's on there as of now. I'm currently watching it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Moclus continues to be Space Brunei, tolerated only for the fact that they have something everyone else wants.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

It's kind of like a lot of Moclan related episodes this season. Quite an interesting storyline. I wonder how the situation will end up within the series.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

1. Yes, the Moclans are arseholes.
2. While I'm not particularly happy with the compromise solution the Union was in something of a tight spot WRT losing Moclus especially as the Moclans were apparently welded to their bigotry enough to risk going it alone (reminds me of a certain european country) so while they didn't exactly uphold the ideals they stand for, they didn't exactly abandon them either, and out in the real world (even if it's a fictional one) you have to make compromises.
3.The Dolly Parton motiv was weird but amusing.
4. And credit where credit is due-the Moclan troops ceased hostilities the moment they were told a settlement had been reached.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-12 06:26pm
JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-04-12 02:29pm

It's on there as of now. I'm currently watching it.
I see it now, maybe I should quit expecting it until Friday at least.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Did any one notice something odd in the one moclan representatives accent? Seemed a little Klingon-ie to me. :wtf:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-04-13 11:10am Did any one notice something odd in the one moclan representatives accent? Seemed a little Klingon-ie to me. :wtf:
He was played by Tony Todd, you probably are used to him as Kurn, brother of Worf.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-13 12:05pm
JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-04-13 11:10am Did any one notice something odd in the one moclan representatives accent? Seemed a little Klingon-ie to me. :wtf:
He was played by Tony Todd, you probably are used to him as Kurn, brother of Worf.
Ahhhh that's where. Yup lots of TNG actors this week.
Seth seems to like his omages to star trek here lately.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Well new episode is up. Spoiler
Looks like the Kaylon are not going to stay in their planetary nebula after all. :wtf: :kill:
Also doesn't look like Ed has much faith in his new weapons or deflectors.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

While I would consider it one of the weaker episodes of the season, I particularly enjoyed the ending, simply because it proved the crew's optimistic assumptions were wrong. The memory wipe didn't work; the timeline was tangential and therefore nothing that happened had any effect effect on the 'main' timeline. It only served to ruin tangent-Kelly and tangent-Ed's budding romance.

Also, Bortus and Clyden dancing in that club simulation was absolutely hysterical.

DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I took the ending differently. I think that she was from the same timeline, and her changing something is a cliff-hanger for next week. I wouldn't be surprised if the next episode is another time-travel tale. In fact it may be something like Yesterday's Enterprise, from TNG, where they will suddenly be in some dark, terrible timeline (like the Kaylon having successfully invaded, because Ed and Kelly never got together, so she never pulled strings to get him his own command, and the Orville wasn't there to stop the robot menace), and only one (who? I have no idea) crewmember will notice that things aren't right, and they will have to go to extreme measures to fix things.

IMDB backs me up on this, with the next episode description: The Road Not Taken - The crew must contend with the disastrous fallout from Kelly's decision.
Proud member of the no sigs club.