The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm surprised no one's posted anything about this yet.

No, it's NOT following the comics exactly from what I understand. I however did not read the comics, only skimmed Wiki for it. However, Netflix's version is damn fuckin' good on it's own merits. This family puts the 'fun' in dysfunctional, but the violence is nicely balanced with the comedic bits. Klaus is in a world of his own when it comes to hilarity.

I still have a few episodes to go, I just finished the episode where Vanya gets First Chair in the orchestra. I know it's gonna get bad -- my "other-brother" already saw Klaus' flashback to Vietnam, and it set off his PTSD. I'm also betting that Vanya has something to do with the world ending.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I LOVED It.. but oh man did the final have [ahem] certain issues with the laws of physics.. But, hey you know..comic book stuff, can't complain too much.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Awesome series
Look forward to the next season.

And note to self: Do not piss off girls with superpowers. For they are vindictive and creative....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rather enjoyable series. I'm wondering how the next season will work, due to the events of the finale.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I bingewatched this spread over a few evenings. Awesome show
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I liked it but didn't get really into it like one of my friends who thought it was great. I guess I had a difficult time getting really interested in any of the characters. The one kid was probably the closest.

Some of the stuff going on just seemed too much like other things I've watched recently for me to enjoy it as I would have liked. I also saw a few things coming and it seemed like it took a long time for those things to develope.

Visually this show was awesome and I do look forward to the next series.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-24 12:41pmRather enjoyable series. I'm wondering how the next season will work, due to the events of the finale.
I'm betting it will at least have something to do with the products of the other 36 births by immaculate conception on 10/1/89. Kind of a ten foot bear in the room that the show hasn't talked about yet.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Actually I was thinking about the other 29 for most of the season.
"So... is the Organization run by one or more of the Others?"
"Did Daddy know to die NOW and bring them all together because Five came back before (later) and gave him warning and the actual date? (The ending kinda suggests this last might be in the works)"
"Is this whole thing a closed-loop paradox like the first (if stand-alone) Back to the Future, just a prelude story? (A baseline that you start with so you can undo it and have it turn out "like it's supposed to be.")" Which by itself opens up a big window for whether there actually were 36, or if Five does some shenanigans and the seven are just reborn multiple times (the same day).
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.