What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

Post by Maximum7 »

I found an idea in archeology. Thanks for all your help guys!!!
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

If it's to do with black holes, why not how gravity affects megastructures and starships, and his trying to work with architecture to design something that would work with the gravity, not against it?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

This time I found an idea. For real this time. Thanks for all your help!!!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why the hell would they call an archeologist to investigate an astrophysical phenomenon?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

My idea was perfect. I got it from Mythic Scribes. Intermetallic energy alloy plating. Then I found something like that existed on Wookieepedia. I’m so pissed!!!! Why can’t I find an idea that works and hasn’t been done already?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Unless you're doing it for a story to be published, who cares if it's "been done"?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Solauren wrote: 2019-03-02 05:05pm Unless you're doing it for a story to be published, who cares if it's "been done"?
It just matters to me. I take writing very seriously and my goal is to one day write Star Wars books. I can always save for the idea for use 20 years from now.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Doing something well is vastly more important than doing something new. Just my $0.02.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I agree, first work on something that's 'been done', but do your own version, and do it well.

Oh, and don't troll for ideas you plan to publish as your own later.

Now, my suggestion for a practice piece: Someone trying to reverse engineer Gree technology. That would have alot of backing from people, as the Gree apparently had Stargate style tech. Instantaneous movement from one point in the galaxy into another, would be something the Empire would want. All you have to do is slip 1 Gate onto a planet, and you can pour in as many troops as you want.

Hell, you could modify a ship to be covered in gates, linked up to other ships that fire through the gates. a Star Destroyer covered in gates, as you will. Now, instead of limited ammo capacity, it's just a flying shield generator covered in stargates, that 200+ Other star destroyers fire broadside out of, from half a galaxy away.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Okay someone on Reddit informed me that a supermassive black hole could never do what I want it to do. I’ve decided to scrap the whole story.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'm in the middle of trying to get something published in a journal and my mentor informed me that I was spending way too much time "chasing a giant", e.g. trying to find someone else who had said what I had already said so I wouldn't look completely stupid.

Sometimes you need to look for something, sometimes not. I think for a fanfic you probably don't need to look for something particularly unique.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. I’m looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Look, it's pretty clear you have some specific set of criteria you need this to fit for whatever reason. Could we at least get a full list of those before going through another round of suggestions > new restriction > more suggestions?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-12 02:37pm I’m going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. I’m looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.
Then make up some similar species and have him study the migration patterns of that.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Esquire wrote: 2019-03-12 09:55pm Look, it's pretty clear you have some specific set of criteria you need this to fit for whatever reason. Could we at least get a full list of those before going through another round of suggestions > new restriction > more suggestions?
Okay fair enough.

It has to sound

•Advanced and high tech

•Not too wordy but also not too vague

• It has to be something that couldn’t just exist due to assuming because the technology to do so already exists. Example: De-extinction isn’t discussed but could easily be done because cloning technology is mature.

•It has to be something that could be studied long term.

•It can’t have been already done in Legends or Canon.

•It can’t exist in the real world already.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

A) all science is based on previous science. It would make more sense for the project to be related to something we already know about.
B) If it's not allowed to be revolutionary or impact your story it's just for intellectual bragging rights.
C) If someone else comes up with it then it's not something you can brag about.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

That's in psychological?
Bullets always have the right of away
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace. What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There's tons of things he could be working on. Increasing hyperdrive fuel efficiency, decreasing vulnerability to gravity wells, improve/invent hyperspace-to-hyperspace tracking, slow down hyperdrive so it can be sensibly used insystem, hyperspace tap as a form of power generation, more reliable hyperspace communications, higher bandwidth hyperspace communications (picture quality in Wars holocomms is pretty shoddy)...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Fuel efficiency seems a good choice. It's a big deal, but one that's unlikely to be mentioned in any official works even if it's successful and widely adopted.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-18 05:22pm I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?
Preventing the Navi-computers from talking to other ships and droids and wanting them to rebel against their masters via violent revolution?