The Orville: Season 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Orville: Season 2

Post by FaxModem1 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-02-18 04:44am What happens to Moclus if the Union gets access to better tech from someone else ?

I expect that Moculs is receiving quite a lot in exchange for Union access to their tech. But they aren't the most technologically advanced race around. Just the most advanced one willing to trade with the Union.

Isaac was the only one respected by the species with teleporters from the second episode. So I expect his people have much better tech. The possibility of them liking what Isaac sees and deciding to join the Union probably scares Moculs.
The Xeleyans also seem more advanced than the rest of the races of the Union, but are scientific peaceniks who look down on everyone else. If enough people are like Talla's family, and want to create defense technologies, or Xelayans could be enticed to do so, that could be another avenue for them to make such technology for the Union.

Either way, the Moclans probably are on a ticking clock for when them and the Union come to a head.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Isn't Moclus also very heavily industrialized? It could be that some sizable percentage of the Union's weaponry is actually manufactured on Moclus--even if it's done to Union spec. If the Union is in a de facto state of war with the Krill, antagonizing the Moclans may cripple the Union's ability to fight.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
Ho-leeeee shit.

I can't say I called it. But I can't say I'm surprised either.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Spoiler
The game was pretty much up by the time they discovered the lots of sphere thingies but yeah it was pretty ambiguous up until then. And while it's a two-parter at least it's not over a season break
Did you look at the size of that building they docked at? (Sorry, no, that's not really a landing, but at least it explained how you 'land' a ship shaped like the Orville because there's no way to put her down on the surface without ridiculously long landing gear) Sure she's no Super Star Destroyer, but she isn't exactly tiny either-except she DID look tiny docked there
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
So, unless part 2 shows otherwise, which I'm hoping it does, it looks like I called it: link
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
He isn't, strictly speaking, watching them die to collect data; he's killing them in order to seize Earth. :P

Though that raises the question of why Earth? The episode was very specific that Kaylon 1 is outside of comms range from the Union; surely there are closer planets they could conquer.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Spoiler
Orville Earth, just like Star Trek Earth, seems to be the hub the Union revolves around, so maybe they figured if they take out the center first, the rest will fall that much easier.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
Yes, but why the Union at all? There are other, presumably weaker, civilizations to prey upon, and probably ones closer to Kaylon. Hopefully there will be a reason forthcoming, though it'll probably just be because it serves the needs of the plot.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Spoiler
Because the Union represents the biggest threat to them? Isn't that why they sent Isaac to gather intel in the first place?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Spoiler
We don't know WHY they sent Isaac but so far all we know about the Orville universe is there's the Union, which seems to be a slightly less preachy and 'we're better than y'all' version of the TNG Trek UFP, the Krill, who seem to be religious crusaders roughly on equal footing with the Union militarily, and various and usually unafiliated entities, many of them primitive. Trying to get the Union and its resources under their control seems only logical
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Spoiler
Assuming it doesn't end with a dumb TNG-style plot reset, who wants to bet that this will be what gets the Union and the Krill to set aside their differences and unite against a common threat?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

To Galvatron,

I doubt that, unless they really want to shatter what the Krill are about as a culture. Though that would be an interesting direction to explore, a culture utterly losing their culture.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
Anyway, Kaylon Primary agreed to reactivate Isaac way too easily for the given reason for his deactivation to be real. I believe that Isaac's deactivation was in fact bait to get the Orville to come to them. The only wrinkle is them waiting so long to spring the trap if the decision was already made. Trying to build as many of their spheroid ships as possible before go time, perhaps?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Spoiler
We don't know the time between Issac conking out and the Orville reaching Kaylon, granted, nor the exact time the Orville spend there, but the abundance of spheres already present strongly hints that if the decision to eradicate all biologicals hadn't already been made, they were already preparing for it regardless
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Spoiler
Maybe the Kaylons need the ship for some deception? The Orville security crew weapons were still decent against the Kaylons so perhaps the Kaylon fleet isn't like those invincible robot/cyborg fleets we usually see again and again in SF?

Beyond that the whole actions of the Kaylons seem quite unreasonable to me.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
The preview of next week's episode shows one of the Kaylon vessels being destroyed, so we know that the Union fleet is capable of effectively engaging them. So that's probably correct, but the crew isn't going to cooperate in a deception, so keeping them alive when the plan is to kill all humans doesn't track all that well.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Anyway, we learn one interesting thing early on: Cancer is still a concern, despite the Union's apparent medical advancements otherwise. (Lt. Gordon is dumb, but not so dumb that he'd be afraid of cancer if it's a trivial, routinely cured, and/or unheard of medical danger.)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Just plz don't tell me that this latest episode is all a dream or some thing. Plzz no deus ex reset button, though with out that how are the main characters gona get off alive? Maybe some will be sacrificed?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Norm Macdonald was credited in the episode, and yet not once did we see, or hear from Yaphit.
Spoiler
If it isn't a dumb reset button I'd think that Yaphit might be free on the ship, and the Moclan fleet (independent of the Union fleet) might show up resulting in a "They may be bastards, but they are our bastards" feeling in the fleet.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
Yaphit is almost certainly free on the ship. Remember the engine maintenance that they were doing while the engines were shut down? I guarantee that's not a throwaway line. Yaphit is almost certainly somewhere in the engineering ductwork.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Spoiler
Ohh yeah yaphit, I totally forgot about him. So that's how they fix it, maybe he is going to sqirm into them and start wrecking havoc? That would be fun.
I was thinking for a combat operation Isaac's people were kind of under armoured, doesn't that seem a little odd? I mean they are machines, they could just build a bigger stronger version to support plenty of armor for a dedicated security version of their people. They certainly didn't have any problem talking about tearing Isaac appart for parts just because they were done with him.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sure, they might be able to build in more armor. But that would require them to care more about casualties than they did.

I see a few ways this could end well:
- Some virus or other deus ex machina shuts down all the Kaylon. Probably because Issac switches sides.
- Someone convinces them to change their mind.
- This is them testing the Union.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-02-27 03:57am Sure, they might be able to build in more armor. But that would require them to care more about casualties than they did.

I see a few ways this could end well:
- Some virus or other deus ex machina shuts down all the Kaylon. Probably because Issac switches sides.
- Someone convinces them to change their mind.
- This is them testing the Union.
You're supposed to put all that in spoiler tags you know.
I did it from my phone so I know you should be able.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Spoiler
Isaac switching sides was kind of predictable but it didn't affect the insane battle that came after.

To me I enjoyed the battle. Just alot of shooting, superior but not invincible enemy, and no technobabble solution.

Something interesting. While "Kaylon is a long way from Union space", it seems that with full(?) quantum drive the distance is at least tolerable for some of the human bladders :P , on the other hand, it would take "weeks" to gather the whole fleet to Earth.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, that was rather enjoyable. Good job Orville on cementing yourself as a great scifi show rather than a scifi comedy show.
Spoiler
Isaac having second thoughts was predictable, but I like the reason for it. Kaylons who lived through their revolution/genocide against their masters can't let go of old hatreds, while Isaac, not having personal experience with such a thing, has a more objective view of it. Kaylons are NOT objective, and are in a feedback loop regarding their views on what to do in the future. It's the same as any forum when the diversity of opinions dies down, and they fall into lockstep regarding a topic. Any argument on how that society has changed is negated by the simple possibility that humans and other Union members could sink back into slavery, somehow.

I also note that the Union fleet was 'disabled', not destroyed, and we see them building those ships back up.

Shame about Claire and Isaac's relationship. Maybe they'll rebuild that bridge over time.