World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I just started playing again after about a year, and man, I pity the players on my team. I've been struggling to do as much damage as I have hitpoints in my Bismark and Colorado. I've started playing some lower tier games to try to get back into the swing of things. I seem to be ok in the Konigsberg, and I've done two matches in the Novik that went fairly well.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

And the Deathstalker may never sail his Lexington again. Really don't like the CV changes.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is what happens when WG refuses to listen to feedback from CV captains for two years then rush out a rework of an entire class in under two months while - again - refusing to listening to testers.

And I thought they could not top the disaster that is the current clanwars matchmaker.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

LOl, they did the dumbest thing they possibly could have. I'm not surprised, I saw the writing on the wall with this game a long time ago and stopped playing. A pity, but I don't like getting invested in things that can only go downhill.

They should have reworked aircraft carriers by removing them frankly. The style of combat WoW actually encourages has nothing to do with either world war, it's like an idealized 1870s melee. And they should have built on that by inventing fake ships that were interesting to play doing the melee act, and started introducing more dreadnoughts and predreadnought era ships, and ships which allowed the player to switch between controlling two different calibers of heavy guns. This would be easy to do, just start introducing a .5 Tier and a .25 Tier which players can optionally progress towards.

Heck if they wanted carriers to stay, they STILL could have done this by throwing in a bunch of paper carriers that had heavy caliber guns, plus you know, Lexington and Kaga/Akagi, and could partake in a surface action while the planes just kinda randomly score occasional bomb or torpedo hits.

The really compounding problem is how they insisted on balancing ships based on AA ratings, even though while I can't speak for the right now, by the time I was done playing this game aircraft carriers in North America had become extremely rare. Most rounds didn't have one at anything but the very lowest tier or tier 10. Cause noobs had to keep learning it sucks to play carriers, and some old heads who ranked up early had tier 10 ships, but nothing else ever existed. This pretty much screwed over the American trees and didn't help several others. I can't imagine that's gotten better.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This is pretty purely so they can launch on consoles and start raking in those fat console dollars. The RTS style carrier controls wouldn't translate to a controller so this change is what we get... Not that I play any WG games these days but I still follow the news out of morbid curiosity.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I haven't played in over a year (when the promised carrier rework was already a running joke due to how delayed it was...), but I'm not surprised they screwed it up as hard as they did given this is the same company that reworked WoT artillery.

When faced with the situation that WoT artillery is a blight on the game due to the fact that it is:
Quite random accuracy
Devastating damage when it hits

Meaning it is frustrating to play artillery, as you are unreliable, and frustrating to play against, as you can do practically nothing to avoid having your match ruined entirely at random - you can't even tell if you're being targeted, and could be taken out by the first shot.

Do you:
A: Make artillery more accurate, but less damaging, thus allowing it to steer player behaviour reactively, rather than be an instant kill randomly, more reliable for arty players, reducing frustration all around. Possibly even encouraging teamplay more as coordinated barrages would be more effective.
B: Make artillery less accurate and slower rate of fire, but much more damaging, so that artillery is incredibly unreliable, but will occasionally instantly kill a tank entirely out of the blue.
C: Remove artillery from the game entirely

Of course WG went for option B, thus making the game miserable for all players arty and victims alike.

It seems the WG complaints strategy is to make whatever is being complained about much worse, perhaps purely out of spite, perhaps to discourage complaints in the future.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I actually don't mind the carrier and AA changes (I don't play carriers myself though). Makes everything more active than the passive gameplay it was before
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I logged in for the first time in a while just to see what was new, apparently I don't have an Independence anymore but a Ranger, and my fighters shoot rockets? What, they got rid of fighters and everything attacks ships now or something?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Steve wrote: 2019-02-06 10:01am I logged in for the first time in a while just to see what was new, apparently I don't have an Independence anymore but a Ranger, and my fighters shoot rockets? What, they got rid of fighters and everything attacks ships now or something?
Pretty much. You can drop a fighter cooldown thing to kill enemy carrier planes, but you basically play a plane minigame now instead of actually piloting or controlling your carrier.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Jub wrote: 2019-02-06 11:15am
Steve wrote: 2019-02-06 10:01am I logged in for the first time in a while just to see what was new, apparently I don't have an Independence anymore but a Ranger, and my fighters shoot rockets? What, they got rid of fighters and everything attacks ships now or something?
Pretty much. You can drop a fighter cooldown thing to kill enemy carrier planes, but you basically play a plane minigame now instead of actually piloting or controlling your carrier.
Wait, you mean I don't get to actually move my CV anymore? I just control the fighters? That... that... CV movement was always an important part of playing one, maintaining awareness of the fight and moving your carrier to evade incoming enemies!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Steve wrote: 2019-02-06 04:08pmWait, you mean I don't get to actually move my CV anymore? I just control the fighters? That... that... CV movement was always an important part of playing one, maintaining awareness of the fight and moving your carrier to evade incoming enemies!
They still have the autopilot thing, but given how micro intensive your planes are and the fact that, AFAIK, you can't switch between your planes and your ship you basically set it and hope you don't need to actively maneuver while flying your planes.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

You can still control the carrier, but with a lot less freedom of movement than before.

I personally would have been happier with WG removing playable CVs completely and just adding a chance for bot-controlled airstrikes to tier 6 matches and up.
With just one or two examples of a specific class in a match a good, or even worse, a bad player influences the game much more than a player in a ship whose type is present several times.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Jub wrote: 2019-02-06 04:25pm
Steve wrote: 2019-02-06 04:08pmWait, you mean I don't get to actually move my CV anymore? I just control the fighters? That... that... CV movement was always an important part of playing one, maintaining awareness of the fight and moving your carrier to evade incoming enemies!
They still have the autopilot thing, but given how micro intensive your planes are and the fact that, AFAIK, you can't switch between your planes and your ship you basically set it and hope you don't need to actively maneuver while flying your planes.
Sounds like a great recipe for people playing 'hunt the CV'... I've been in SO many games where it comes down to the other team's CV hiding in some far corner of the board while its allies get sunk.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

So when I last logged in, and even played a bit (including trying out the new carrier mechanics, ugh),I noticed I've got like 115k Free XP. I'm guessing it was a promotional thing. (I also noticed the new "Pan-Asian" tree and the first DD in it, and that my Cleveland is now a Tier 8 and the US heavy cruisers are their own line past Tier 5.) I admit my thought was "cool, I'll use this to help bootstrap myself up to the Des Moines", as I've always salivated at the prospect of playing with that semi-automatic 8" goodness.

Now apparently the Alaska is up and purchasable with free XP. Admittedly I haven't seen how much Free XP, but still... urgh. So tempting.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

You likely got credited some of the XPs your previous carriers had accumulated when they removed the odd-tier CVs.

Alaska is priced at 1 000 000 free XPs and 1 silver credit.

Edit:
HMS Exeter can be earned by completing a mission chain until the end of March or spending about 30€.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I guess they are rolling out a strange, TIX USN BB with 18inch guns now? Is that it?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It's the famous Origami-class Battleship purely paper but since the profit model of the game is designed around constant additional content they have to dig deep into design studies for new ships.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'd kind of like to see the Courageous class. it would be the derp gun of WoWS. you'd ether pick the 4 15in guns in 2x2 or 18in guns in single barreled turrets.

maybe the HMS Marshal Ney as a premium
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Played WoWs this weekend for the first time since the carrier re-org. Woof, what were they thinking? That they were going all end on e-sports stuff?

Also, much to my surprise, it appears as if they have separated the premium time from warships and tanks.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

FINALLY! 8" automatic goodness is MINE MINE MINE! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

So I haven't played in a good long while, but I hear they're bringing out submarines now?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I just got into this at the request of a friend about a month ago and am up to tier 5 in the various American lines. I don't know what CVs were before, but now they play like a stripped down World of Warplanes, and I quit that game for a reason; I don't know that I'll ever get past the Langley, or if I do it'll take a long time because I can't do a thing with it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So it didn't take me long to become a destroyer main.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, finally in a clan that I play with sporadically. I've only played 3 rounds of CW, 2 last season and 1 this one. Really hoping I'm not dragging the clan down.