Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 3

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 3

Post by LadyTevar »

Part Three was released this weekend.

Everything we discussed in the other threads are confirmed in this one.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

1. Godzilla does show up because of the actions of a planet's civilization. The Atomic Age awakens a version of Godzilla, which then prunes the civilization down to allow for the 'greater species' (Zillians) to rise. At least, that's what Metphies claims. There's a lot of philosophical nihilism in this whole theory. There's also the idea that Godzilla is somehow a 'virus-killer' to combat the spread of civilization, and the only way to stop is to find ways to survive around him, without the help of machines and atomics.

2. Exif worship King Ghidrah.
It's the why that's fucked up. The Exif's crystal power was created to stop their own version of Godzilla To fight it, the Exif opened a dimensional rift and found Ghidrah. Ghidrah did kill their planet, but those left started worshiping him as the End of the Universe, the Ender of Worlds. They became Nihilists, traveled to worlds that either had, or were about to have, Godzilla awaken. Then, they'd build up the hate and fear of the inhabitants, summon Ghidrah, and another planet is 'cleansed and purified' by their God. The surviving Exif move to the next planet.

3. Hoatuo worship Mothra. We only see her in a vision, however :(
However... Mepthies recognizes Mothra and is instantly angry at the interference. Does this mean that other planets have other Mothras, protecting the civilizations from completely dying out? Do they stand against Ghidrah on the other planets?

There is a after-credit scene with the Hoatuo that bothers me, however. I'm not quite sure how to interpret it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers, part 3

Post by Enigma »

Haruo is an idiot. That's all I can say for now.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I'm not sure I like the technophobic message of the last movie.

My interpretation is that the Exif directly manipulate civilizations into developing down the road of creating the Godzillas in order to feed them to Ghidorah.
So by destroying the advanced technology this ended in a way similar to the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

How exactly did the Houtua develop so fast on post-Godzilla earth?
Humans were only gone for 20.000 years (either due to relativistic speed or manipulation by the Exif). IIRC Homo Sapiens has been around for 300.000 years.

So I kinda doubt that they are an evolved form of a native earth species.
Are they to Mothra what the Exif are to Ghidorah?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-01-13 10:09am I'm not sure I like the technophobic message of the last movie.

My interpretation is that the Exif directly manipulate civilizations into developing down the road of creating the Godzillas in order to feed them to Ghidorah.
So by destroying the advanced technology this ended in a way similar to the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

How exactly did the Houtua develop so fast on post-Godzilla earth?
Humans were only gone for 20.000 years (either due to relativistic speed or manipulation by the Exif). IIRC Homo Sapiens has been around for 300.000 years.

So I kinda doubt that they are an evolved form of a native earth species.
Are they to Mothra what the Exif are to Ghidorah?
The Houtua are HUMANS. That was proved in Movie #2. They adapted or were blessed by Mothra with the pollen/scales/whatever that protect them from the Zillians and from MechaGodzilla's nanites.
And yes, they worship Mothra, like the Exif worship Ghidorah, just they aren't trying to destroy worlds to feed their Goddess.

You're not quite right about the Exif. IIRC, Godzilla had already emerged on Earth, which is why the Exif appeared. They did, however, push Humanity into greater and greater efforts to stop Godzilla, following their Plan. I don't recall if they sabotaged MechaGodzilla to stop its use, but I'd not be surprised if we went back over the flashbacks in the first movie to find Mepthies or another Exif was involved.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I will say in this particular universe, technology is a double-edged sword to be sure. There may be some path to survival with beating Godzilla and such, but the Bilosaludo and Exif and humans haven't found it- and Haruo is arguably right that just using MG tech again is more likely to get them all killed in their next attempt. The Houtoa do live a happy, reasonably prosperous life, so it's not the worst way to go (it's not like nBSG where there's no way people aren't going to drop like flies).

I think the presence of the Godzilla cells and other kaiju stuff increases development rate- remember just how altered the Earth's ecosystem in general was in part 1. They're just influenced by a different kaiju.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I call bullshit on the Exif beliefs about monsters always emerging.
More then likely, they see it as an eventuality, so they go about causing it in secret, then showing up to 'help'.

I also call 'stupid' on the ending. Haruo was going to be a father. No sane person commits suicide while holding an old girlfriend, in that kinda of situation. I can see setting up the attack run and then ejecting, but not the suicide.

Otherwise, enjoyed the entire trilogy. Could have used Mothra showing up, dropping dust on Godzilla and Ghiodorah and that resulting in Godzilla driving off Ghiodorah and then going from 'evil' to 'good', like he did in the classic serius (for other causes, obviously).

Oh well.
Total score out of 15 (5 per episode) 13.5/15. Loses 1.5 stars for the technophobia and pointless/stupid suicide by Haruo.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I think they were implying that there was a still a link between Haruo and Ghidorah and if he losses it he could call Ghidorah back into the world like the Exif were trying to use him originally.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lost Soal wrote: 2019-01-22 02:27am I think they were implying that there was a still a link between Haruo and Ghidorah and if he losses it he could call Ghidorah back into the world like the Exif were trying to use him originally.
I can KIND of forgive that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2019-01-22 05:27pm
Lost Soal wrote: 2019-01-22 02:27am I think they were implying that there was a still a link between Haruo and Ghidorah and if he losses it he could call Ghidorah back into the world like the Exif were trying to use him originally.
I can KIND of forgive that.
The sudden flashback Harou had when he saw the working Vulture did rather imply that, yes. At least, that was what I got out of that scene.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

To me it was seemed more like a PTSD flashback. (Which is why I can KIND of forgive it)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2019-01-22 06:33pm To me it was seemed more like a PTSD flashback. (Which is why I can KIND of forgive it)
And we all know that PTSD sufferers are more likely to commit suicide. :(

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-01-24 01:05am
Solauren wrote: 2019-01-22 06:33pm To me it was seemed more like a PTSD flashback. (Which is why I can KIND of forgive it)
And we all know that PTSD sufferers are more likely to commit suicide. :(
As PTSD flashback, I can forgive it.
Anything else, I can't.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2019-01-24 05:31pm As PTSD flashback, I can forgive it.
Anything else, I can't.
So, assuming it was a PTSD flashback, do you feel his reaction (grab the woman he failed to save, destroy the machine that killed her) is valid? Seemingly trying to erase his past mistakes, to give the survivors a better future?

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-01-24 06:12pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-01-24 05:31pm As PTSD flashback, I can forgive it.
Anything else, I can't.
So, assuming it was a PTSD flashback, do you feel his reaction (grab the woman he failed to save, destroy the machine that killed her) is valid? Seemingly trying to erase his past mistakes, to give the survivors a better future?
It it was PTSD, I don't know enough about psychological trauma of that nature, and it's associated symptoms and effects, to make an assessment.
Just that if it's 'PTSD', what I would consider to be normal or acceptable behavior doesn't apply, and therefore I shouldn't judge him on that.